Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Foundation

3.6

Aqua, Cyclopentasiloxane, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Mica, talc, PEG-10 Dimenthicone, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Phenyl, Trimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Lauroyl Lysine, Dimenthicone Crosspolymer, Glyceryl Caprylate, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Cyclohexacyloxane, Methylisothiazolinone, Sorbitan Sesquileate, Silver Oxide, Propylene, Carbonate, Parfum (fragrance), Methylparaben, Fagus Sylvatica Extract (Fagus Sylvatica Bud Extract), Hydrolyzed Yeast Protein, [+/- CI 77891 )titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

on 5/25/2015 6:12:00 AM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I believe this is a pretty good foundation. My reason is it is buildable. Why? If you feel like you want to go on one application for natural look, you can do it. If you want to cover yourself, apply layers of it. It does not clump as long as you moisturize (a good canvas is a must). I saw one comment that says it is very yellow foundation. You must have got the foundation that has a yellow undertone in it (I am an N128 <== Neutral color in HD foundation). The Foundation has a wide variety of colors. They have the Pink Undertone, Yellow undertone, and Neutral undertone groups of foundation. Overall, it is not heavy on the face, and is capable of natural sheer look to heavy cover ups (very buildable foundation).

on 5/20/2015 11:16:00 PM

I get why this could be a good foundation for some people but if you need coverage this isn't good. If you need light coverage to none you may like this but for me it covers nothing I have acne scars and it's not like it's hard to cover because I use to always wear a cheap cover girl foundation, this product just has no coverage and it sucks for dry skin clings to everything . I also got matched for a bad color I think otherwise the foundation is very yellow .

on 5/20/2015 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

i really found this just ok. it applies very watery. it was .light but coverage. its annoying because i have no idea what shade i bought because theres no indication on the bottle. the one i got was verrry orange though. it was nice and lightweight though.

on 5/18/2015 4:43:00 PM

First of all, I'd like to say that I love foundation - especially "medium" to high-end ones. I have oily skin with a dry forehead and had high hopes for this foundation.

Pros:
Packaging/ w/ a pump.
It is very matte.
Doesn't take a lot of product for good coverage.

Cons:
YES, it might be very matte however it is not oil resistant nor does it stay in place (even in combination with their Finishing Powder!). It literally slid off my face after about 3 hours.
It feels cakey and thick.
It looks cakey and thick.
It broke me out despite it being "non-comedogenic".
It deoxidises and turned my pink based shade into an orange one.
The product highlighted my dry patches and made them significantly worse.

on 5/18/2015 1:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This foundation is a natural finish and sits well on my dry skin, not clinging to patches or anything. It genuinely looks like my skin.

Good option for natural looking, light-medium coverage.

For color help, my shade in MUFE HD Foundation is Sand, N125, and I'm NW25 in MAC Pro Longwear.

on 5/14/2015 4:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I really like this foundation although it is very pricey! I think you would be better off spending your money on a better foundation like Estee Lauder Double Wear. I have oily skin and I find that this gives me medium coverage and lasts throughout the day. I find that it is not too dewy nor too matte. I have very acne prone skin and this did not break me out. It is a good foundation but not necessarily one that you need in your collection.

on 5/14/2015 2:39:00 PM

I am an NC15/20 olive. Fair with strong yellow undertones and olive properties. Neutral.

This is the only match in any foundation that I've tried. I would repurchase on that basis of that alone.

Performance-wise, it's average. Nothing stays on my skin at all, and it does outlast a number of other foundations I've tried. So I give it a 3/5 for longevity, but I've never used a foundation that I've given anything higher to. So it's about as good as it gets for me anyway. Coverage is good, one pump does my whole face.

I like the dewy finish, despite generally being a matte girl. When it starts wearing off, I just look dewier and dewier until I blot, as opposed to everything separating and suddenly turning into an oil slick like many other foundations have for me. I apply it with a Real Techniques Angled Foundation brush and get a good finish, but I think a Beauty Blender might perform a bit better.

The reason this gets tipped into 5 lippies for me is for how well it photographs. A smooth, airbrush-like finish, with enough natural dewiness to NOT look oily, and to not look matte and cakey. It looks amazing in photographs, and I'm really impressed with it.

I wear it over MAC's matte gel. With that primer, I get almost twice as much wear before blotting as any other combination I've tried. Will happily repurchase.

on 5/13/2015 2:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I wore this foundation for about a month in a dry climate during the winter. I have dry skin with some sensitivities, and this is one of the few foundations that does not contain the ingredient that ticks my skin off, so I had high hopes!

...that were promptly demolished.

Shade 117 was a decent match for my skin, but within a few hours of wearing it, I noticed it would begin to get a wee bit worse for wear. And eventually, full on grease. This was after experimenting with application methods: fingers only, primer (Laura Mercier Hydrating), no primer, brush, Beautyblender, powder under ("Goss method"), powder over--all a bust and would yield the same results, though the Goss method did hold it off for about a half hour longer.

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why this was happening. I experimented with other moisturizers (at the time, I was using CeraVe in the tub)--so I tried a few oils and a few other things to no avail. Until I came upon a description on the Sephora website about an added moisturizer in the product, which I suspect is the culprit for this effect. I know several other Reddit users with dry skin on /r/makeupaddiction had similar experiences to this too.

Overall, it didn't work for me and I suspect it may be too moisturizing for oily or combo skin folk, so I'm not particularly sure who this is being marketed towards at this point. This being said, your mileage may vary and you might enjoy it. Here's my take away on it:

Pro:

- No SPF! (no flashback; most foundation doesn't carry enough SPF to give you adequate protection in any case)
- Wide variety of color options available
- No tocopherol
- Did not emphasize dry flakes, even in a cold climate (North Midwest USA) during winter

Con:

- Gives a greasy appearance instead of luminous
- Begins to show wear and tear a few hours in

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is the foundation that I'm currently using. A Sephora rep directed me to shade 115 which in natural lighting in front of a mirror, is about the closest match to my skin color that I've gotten from a foundation so far.

What's befuddling to me, and contrary to a number of other reviews here and elsewhere (which tend to sing the praises of this stuff if for no other reason than how well it photographs), is that it looks horrible on me in pictures. Very aging.

It's weird, and I don't necessarily fault the foundation. Could be that I always wear a high SPF sunscreen underneath, could be that I'm just that damn pale, could be that shades that are a slight mismatch (with more of a yellow undertone) are actually more flattering. I dunno. Whatever the reason, I look about 10-15 years older in pictures wearing this vs. going barefaced (where I look mid-20s instead of well, my actual age (38)). Then again, I don't recall experiencing this with other foundations I've tried.

I would also prefer a formula with more staying power as I don't feel this wears quite as well over the course of a day as some other brands I've tried. Rubs off very easily on the collar of my favorite little black jacket ($$$ dry cleaning bill!).

That said, it's easy to apply and blends well and is certainly not a bad product by any means. I have no preference at this point as to whether using a brush or my fingers works better for this — they both get the job done. Also, the shade is such a good match for my skin tone that I will at least probably use it as a reference for finding other foundations that might be a formula I like better — though I may seek out something a little more yellow to correct for my overly pinkish undertones.

[EDIT 5.17.2015: I recently completely switched up my approach to foundation, and am now using one targeted towards oily/combination skin even though my skin is normal to dry. I think my high SPF sunscreen may be the culprit as it has a sheen that bleeds through the foundation layer and works much better (both in natural lighting and photos) with a mattifying formula that tamps down the shine as opposed to one on the dewy side (MUFE HD, for example). Much happier now with the new approach, but not sure whether or not to revise the number of lippies I've given this one. For now, leaving as is, because of the longevity issues.]

on 5/12/2015 8:29:00 AM

Did not like this foundation at all! I heard so many good things, and I usually like to find a bunch of reviews and videos about products before I purchase them, but this was one of those things that just did not work for me. I gave it a try a few more times but NOPE! it melts of my face even though i apply powder on top, the only plus about this foundation is that its very creamy and goes on dewy which i love! but just doesn't stay on.

Video Reviews & Tutorials