October 21, 2014 | 1270 users online

Highlighters - MAC - strobe liquid

rated 3 of 5 on 5/6/2011 11:38:00 PM More reviews by kahillrn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

As with most MAC products, my response is "meh". It's ok, nothing to shout about. I wanted it enough to swap for it, I had so many other highlighters I re-swapped it because the one thing I did love about it, IT'S HUGE!!! If you don't have multiple highlighters, go for it, it will last forever and a day. I knew I would never use it all so I let another swapper have it, hope she loves it!! I do like the packaging, as I do with most MAC products, pump makes it sanitary and you just dispense a small amount at a time. Oh geez, it will last even longer...........

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2011 3:08:00 PM More reviews by DannyMAC

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

HG of moisturizers for oily skinned people like me. I have to say as a male makeup artist, we all need to look our best, even if we don't have time for makeup. I am Moroccan/French descent (NW 30) and get very oily (winter/summer all of it!) I recently have been using this UNDER my studio sculpt foundation for myself. It gives that amazing "J.Lo" dewy look that so many of my clients want without looking greasy/sparkly. This is a great investment and as an oily person, this controlled my own shine very well. My oily peeps know, you can put powder on for days and you'll just look muddy, so why not embrace the shine and look GLAM! Seriously. Even if you are running late, swipe some on and you'll look 100x better. I use my Mac 190 to apply it and a little goes a long way!

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2011 7:32:00 PM More reviews by makeupisforme

I have the strobe cream, not liquid, and i don't know the difference (i think the liquid is for oily skin). I definitely prefer the strobe liquid packing. But anyways, to the review :) I bought this a while back and mainly got it for a highlighter. I love to use it that way, as it is the most natural looking glow you can get on the market. Then i stopped using this for a while and re-discovered it just recently. I now am using foundation (mac face and body in N2/ NW20), so this product actually made my foundation look a bit streaky and wipe off the foundation wherever i put this. But whenever i dont wear foundation, i wear this and some translucent powder so i do not mask the glow to much, and i am good to go! Recently i wanted my foundation to look more glowy, so i mixed in 3/4 parts foundation and 1/4 part strobe cream, and my skin looked amazing! Besides the fact that this technique will make any foundation more wearable because it sheers it out, this also allows you to skip the highlighting step because you have such glowy skin. This technique was a godsend in the winter months when my skin looked dry and dull! And it will be great for the summer months when you want to look more glowy, awake, and fresh! But i do recommend using a translucent powder whenever you actually want the glow to show, because if you use a powder foundation/ colored powder, there will be little to no effect from this product. Overall i absolutely love this and i am almost out of my bottle :/ i will probably be purchasing the liquid next instead of the cream because the packaging is so much prettier and convenient. Good luck to all the newbies to this product! I hope you love it as much as i do :)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2011 10:53:00 PM More reviews by em1282

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I like this a lot to add a bit of a sheen to my MAC ProLongwear foundation (my new favorite). I just mix in a drop (literally...this bottle is going to last me forever) with every pump of foundation and it gives me a pretty subtle glow. Hasn't broken me out so far, knock on wood, but my skin tends to be pretty tolerable of most MAC foundations/skin products.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2011 3:41:00 PM More reviews by Phanatical28

Love it. I dab it on certain areas to highlight - above brows, top of cheekbones, cupid's bow, and down my nose. It definitely shouldn't be used all over your face unless you desire that disco ball look - it's definitely NOT a moisturizer. It lasts for ever and is easy to apply. Love.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/27/2011 3:38:00 PM More reviews by hersupernature

Although a bottle is expensive itself, it's a ton more product than you'd get with a similar highlighter like High Beam. A lot of other reviewers seem to have trouble with this highlighter; however, I think it just takes some getting used to. I like to put on a light layer of foundation, then mix this with another dab of foundation and layer it over the top so the sheen is more visible when all my makeup is applied. Powdering does cancel out the sheen a little, so people who are oily might not want to go for this product (especially since it is oil-based in the first place). Love the packaging - it has a click-lock mechanism to keep the product from pumping randomly in a bag, and it's a better, more hygienic alternative to, say, Benefit's brush packaging used with High Beam.
Watch out, though - in full sunlight you'll be able to see all of the shimmers!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2010 12:56:00 PM More reviews by alt629

Love, love, love this one. I guess I'm not really using it for its intended purpose though. I originally bought upon the recommendation of a MAC SA years ago as a "moisturizer." Ha - laughable. So after months of trying to make this work (almost to the bottom of the bottle!), it went to the dead products drawer. Some time later, needing one more MAC empty for my back to mac :), I decided to give it another try. As what I'd guess as an NC10 or even NC5, I've struggled to find a foundation that is light enough for me. I ended up mixing a couple pumps of the strobe liquid into the NC15 studio fix fluid (which I love *except* for it being not quite a color match), and voila, I'd say I have close to a perfect match. Another benefit: my foundation doesn't look as dull or heavy, I get a nice glowy look which I can intensify by applying a couple pumps of this prior to foundation and primer (after moisturizer and spf). And if I really want to glow, I pat some on the tops of my cheekbones and follow up with the mineralize skinfinish in lightscapade. This has really saved my foundations for me. No more horror looking at my reflection in natural light and seeing the dreaded orange life. I have stocked up with a couple extra bottles of this already!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/18/2010 9:17:00 PM More reviews by xxnazxx

This is ok, not worth the price. i cant really see what is does. it is to glittery.
when you apply it to the bridge of the nose it just looks too pinky and glittery i will defo use what i have but i much prefer high beam. packaging is good though.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/20/2010 3:17:00 AM More reviews by dumbdegenerate

Meh. I can't really figure out the point of this product.

It's no use as a moisturiser. I've tried it as a highlighter, but get better results with benefit. I've tried smoothing it over my fingers and patting it on. I've tried it under foundation, and mixed with foundation.

Any sheen it gives you is completely cancelled out by powdering.

It's pricey. If you can get it to work its fine, as you really don't need much, but as I can't I feel it was a waste of money!
I'm now mixing it with foundation to lighten the shade a little, but that's really only to use it up!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/25/2010 12:29:00 PM More reviews by BunnyTree

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I am 34 yrs old and this stuff broke me out horribly! Perhaps the little glitter pieces embedded themselves in my pores. Perhaps would work best on younger, tighter skin, if you're not prone to breakouts- EVER! I have also read other reviews where they say this is oil based and I would not have purchased had I known that- my fault. The shimmer it gives is so faint it's not worth it. Perhaps good on legs, although other products would be cheaper and prob better for that area anyways.