September 20, 2014 | 1813 users online

Makeup Brushes - Home Made Brush Cleaner / Cleanser

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2011 1:03:00 PM More reviews by heathermrm

I tried MAC brush cleanser back when I was a brush cleansing nube and I had a gift card = only had to shell out a little bit for a product that, yes works well, but there is NO reason to pay that much $$ for an effective brush cleanser!

Fast forward 6 months later = my brush cleansing routine (every few weeks - don't flame me for that, I"m getting better) = Dove Beauty Bar (white). Wet soap, wet brush, brush over soap in circles = see all the product darkening the soap and then rinsing off (REALLY cool to watch - gives me such a feeling of accomplishment) :) Rinse brush several times. Follow w/ a small puddle of Cetaphil in the palm of my hand (I have the regular version, not the oily skin version) or baby shampoo, rub brush in circles, rinse and voila - clean, residue-free MU brushes!

Fast forward a year later and I just found these reviews. I started watching EnKore's videos = a lot of fun :) So, back to brush cleaning. I had all the ingredients in my house except for a leave-in conditioner. Got Aveeno's Leave-In Nourish and Treat for like $6 at Walmart. Made concoction this morning and poured into a cleaned out pump bottle of Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo. My recipe (same as EnKore's I believe per another reviewer:)

1 cup distilled water

1/4 cup alcohol (I just used what I had on hand = 71% rubbing alcohol from Walmart)

1/2 tbsp detergent (Palmolive Ultra Soft Touch - the pink kind w/ is what I had on hand)

1/2 tbsp shampoo (used generic baby no more tears)

1 tbsp. spray liquid leave in conditioner (Aveeno Nourish and Treat)

Here is where I did my own twist - I still did the swirl method on my Dove bar. Then I pumped some of this concoction into the white lid of my jar of Neutrogena Rapid Pads (salicylic acid) container that I had previously cleaned/sanitized to potentially use for something else and then swirled my brushes around in the lid, rinsing and adding more squirts, rinsed until liquid remained clear. I fluffed my brushes and laid flat to dry. Perhaps next time I will skip the Dove part - will see.

Anyway, love that I am now disinfecting as well as cleaning my brushes, which are drying as we speak. Will update w/ post drying results tomorrow, but they look great now...

UPDATE 06-22-11 - OK - was a bit tardy getting back to this review :) This recipe is AWESOME! My brushes are clean, fluffy, soft + disinfected - HG for an effective, simple, inexpensive solution.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2011 12:37:00 PM More reviews by juliegirl1994

I used EnKoreMakeup's Brush Cleanser from youtube.

(I am in no way endorsed or trying to advertise, I am just a make-up allier and youtuber who wants to help )

It works great, and I used ingredients I have in the house.

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup distilled water (or purified bottled water)
1/4 cup alcohol
1/2 tbsp detergent (I used dish washing soap like in the video, just the regular kind)
1/2 regular hair shampoo for normal to oily hair (baby shampoo works great!)
*1 tbsp. spray liquid leave in conditioner (he recommends a Paul Mitchel brand)

EQUIPMENT:
mixing jar
12 oz or more empty bottle/container to put solution in
something to stir with (spoon, fork, even a clean makeup brush)
*funnel

*optional-can skip if necessary

1. Mix ingredients carefully and gently.
2. Pour onto container (use funnel to make it easier).
3. You are ready to go!

Try and clean your brushes at least twice a week if you use them daily, there is MUCH bacteria build up rich can lead to breakouts. If you have some acne no matter which brand of makeup you use, and you don't clean your brushes often, this may clear up your face substantially!

If you are new to brush cleaning, he also has a great brush cleaning tips video which demonstrates how to clean your brushes and a deep clean video (which you should do at least twice a month or so, in addition to your biweekly cleaning).

How to Clean Your Brushes:

Deep Cleaning Your Brushes:

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2011 2:41:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I use Enkore's version. I love this brush cleanser so much. It's easy to just dip my brushes right in and rinse this off. I let them dry over night and they dry back to being fluffy & soft. This gets everything out and even my foundation brushes have no residue left. I like that this has alcohol in it. I'm acne prone and haven't broken out after cleaning my brushes with this!

Note: I mix mine in a plastic mixing container. It's a clear plastic, has measuring units on the side, and a little hole to pour out liquids. I bought it at Walmart in their kitchen utensil area. It works wonderful because I can make two batches and keep it in this container.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2010 5:10:00 PM More reviews by lilplayer637

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just wanted to add this as a tip for everyone here . I recently found this through a makeup blog and tried it my self. I found out that produce wash or vegtable wash from the health food store cleans brushes really well so I bought it. My brushes get so clean and so so and none of that oil or gunk is left behind. It melts away the foundation so easy and after my brushes dry they are very soft. So everyone needs to go get some a bottle is huge and last a long time and so cheap maybe between 3-5 dollars depending on where you live. LOVE it .

26 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2010 8:16:00 AM More reviews by Gizzyxx

I used the recipe found on EnKore's YT site...and it was great! I will no longer go out and buy brush cleansers and waste my money when I can make this amazing and cheap product at home!!

It worked just as well as my MAC brush cleanser (which i will now not re-purchase), and it lasts for a long time so you can make up a big batch of it and and then not have to bother for a long time.

Seriously...I read reviews on this and had my doubts but its one of the best things I have ever made at home and I am so happy to know about it - thank you MUA once again!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2010 5:07:00 PM More reviews by kaxel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm glad I found this recipe on here as I just started using foundation brushes and was having trouble cleaning them. I have used this for about a month and it works great! I put it in a spray bottle and it's easy to clean my brushes off every time I use them now. I had everything (except the spray bottle) around the house, so it was practically free. Less money spent on brush cleaner means more $ to spend on fun stuff!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2010 2:56:00 PM More reviews by savethetatas

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was on YouTube and came across EnKore's recipe for this and i have fallen in love! it's amazing, super cheap (which i love) and it works wonders. The alcohol in it smells kinda bad but i got over it and it wasn't too overpowering, i definately recomend you try this amazing stuff!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2010 3:12:00 AM More reviews by Gwonggg

IN LOOOOOOVE!!!! I've been using my first batch for months now, and it's beat out all my other brush cleansers. Super easy to make, and you can easily find all the ingredients in your home, and if you don't have them already, you won't spend mOre than $10, which is probably what you would spend on any other brush cleaner anyway. This stuff really keeps my brushes cleaned between deep cleans, and dependingbon your ingredients, the smell is very inoffensive! Cheap, effective, easy to make. What more could you ask for?!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2009 4:55:00 PM More reviews by jsainz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Before making this, i would wash (deep clean) my brushes (maybe) once a week. Now i can have clean brushes between washes too!! i goofed and ended up making my own version.

(Yea for not reading directions before starting) i ended up with this mixture: 8.5oz total(roughly)

3/4 cup distilled water
1/4 cup 91% alchohol
1TBs dish washing soap (great degreaser)
1TBs shampoo
1TBs leave in conditioner
squirt of tea tree

this totally cleaned the concealer off my brush today with no residue. im totally stoked about being able to have sanitary brushes. i think the extra detergents and conditioner made all the difference. Not only did the brushes come clean but they felt great too.

UPDATE: almost a month later and i have had only 1-2 pimples this month. (tiny whiteheads that popped themselves and left no scar) im convinced that having clean brushes has made a total difference in the condition of my skin yea!

12 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2009 3:02:00 PM More reviews by bren81

Wow! I love this home made brush cleanser recipe. I used half a plastic water bottle of tap water, half of that amount of rubbing alcohol, a few squirts of dishwash detergents (i used cascade), same amount of baby shampoo (used aveeno baby shampoo), same amount of foaming make up cleanser gel from avene (the one in a big white bottle with a pump). i shook it well and let it sit for a while because it foams up. then soaked my dirty brushes in it (i get enough cleanser for three washes so i put the amount i need for a wash in a ceramic cup), rinse in running water and voila! it's clean! it doesn't smell bad, very cheap, cleans well, brushes stay soft. can't go wrong with this. do give it a try girls!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No