Home Made Brush Cleaner / Cleanser

4.8

Price: $

Price: $

1 cup distilled water1/4 cup alcohol1/2 tbsp. clear shampoo1/2 tbsp. dishwashing liquid1 tbsp. liquid spray-in conditioner

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I followed a "recipe" from a friend.

90% water
10% alcohol

I make the mixture in a small spray bottle and spray on 2-3 sprays for face brushes and 1-2 sprays for eye brushes. It depends on how big the brush is and how much makeup is on it.
I use to deep clean my brushes every time I used them - it's such a hassle. But this spray is wonderful. It kills the germs, removes most of the makeup and leaves my brushes just as soft as if I were to wash them.

After I spray, I blot the brushes with a tissue, then swirl them around on a washcloth until they're mostly dry and let them rest.
I've never had any negatives AT ALL with this method. My brushes dry so much quicker and I don't have to worry about breakouts.

It's so simple and inexpensive, too! I don't feel the need to try any other method.

on 8/17/2011 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I followed EnKore's recipe and I just love that brush cleanser. I'm using it everyday to clean my brushes between deep clean. I used a homemade shampoo (unscented and especially made for my fine, fragile and hard to manage hair), Infusium 23 and some Sunlight dish soap, plus distillated water and 70% alcool. The smell is not overpowering, it's dirt cheap and very effective.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Like many of the other reviewers, I also follow enkoremakeup's recipe from youtube. It works great and it even easily cleans the brushes I use for gel eyeliner! I usually had difficulty cleaning out my gel eyeliners when I had used baby shampoo....maybe its just the eyeliner I use. (It hardens up on my brush after using it)

By the way, don't make the same mistake as I did. I know Koren said not to use lotion/gel leave-in conditioner but I went ahead and did so anyway because I didn't feel like going to the store to go buy some. DON'T!!! I know, I'm silly. It doesn't dissolve and it leaves solid conditioner chunks inside the solution. Good thing I only used a small 60 ml portion of my cleaning solution to test that out.

So... to everyone: use spray leave-in conditioner!

on 7/5/2011 5:36:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Like most of you gals, I too took to Koren's recipe, although I didn't have any leave in conditioner handy. I followed the same recipe although instead of just shampoo, I put in a 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner. I'm really hoping for the same result =) I just cleaned and fluffed my brushes...WIll update as soon as they are nice and dry... (P.S. LOVE Koren!!! ) Gave the packaging 3 because, well, it really depends on what you have lying around right?? ^_^

on 6/12/2011 1:03:00 PM

I tried MAC brush cleanser back when I was a brush cleansing nube and I had a gift card = only had to shell out a little bit for a product that, yes works well, but there is NO reason to pay that much $$ for an effective brush cleanser!

Fast forward 6 months later = my brush cleansing routine (every few weeks - don't flame me for that, I"m getting better) = Dove Beauty Bar (white). Wet soap, wet brush, brush over soap in circles = see all the product darkening the soap and then rinsing off (REALLY cool to watch - gives me such a feeling of accomplishment) :) Rinse brush several times. Follow w/ a small puddle of Cetaphil in the palm of my hand (I have the regular version, not the oily skin version) or baby shampoo, rub brush in circles, rinse and voila - clean, residue-free MU brushes!

Fast forward a year later and I just found these reviews. I started watching EnKore's videos = a lot of fun :) So, back to brush cleaning. I had all the ingredients in my house except for a leave-in conditioner. Got Aveeno's Leave-In Nourish and Treat for like $6 at Walmart. Made concoction this morning and poured into a cleaned out pump bottle of Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo. My recipe (same as EnKore's I believe per another reviewer:)

1 cup distilled water

1/4 cup alcohol (I just used what I had on hand = 71% rubbing alcohol from Walmart)

1/2 tbsp detergent (Palmolive Ultra Soft Touch - the pink kind w/ is what I had on hand)

1/2 tbsp shampoo (used generic baby no more tears)

1 tbsp. spray liquid leave in conditioner (Aveeno Nourish and Treat)

Here is where I did my own twist - I still did the swirl method on my Dove bar. Then I pumped some of this concoction into the white lid of my jar of Neutrogena Rapid Pads (salicylic acid) container that I had previously cleaned/sanitized to potentially use for something else and then swirled my brushes around in the lid, rinsing and adding more squirts, rinsed until liquid remained clear. I fluffed my brushes and laid flat to dry. Perhaps next time I will skip the Dove part - will see.

Anyway, love that I am now disinfecting as well as cleaning my brushes, which are drying as we speak. Will update w/ post drying results tomorrow, but they look great now...

UPDATE 06-22-11 - OK - was a bit tardy getting back to this review :) This recipe is AWESOME! My brushes are clean, fluffy, soft + disinfected - HG for an effective, simple, inexpensive solution.

I used EnKoreMakeup's Brush Cleanser from youtube.

(I am in no way endorsed or trying to advertise, I am just a make-up allier and youtuber who wants to help )

It works great, and I used ingredients I have in the house.

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup distilled water (or purified bottled water)
1/4 cup alcohol
1/2 tbsp detergent (I used dish washing soap like in the video, just the regular kind)
1/2 regular hair shampoo for normal to oily hair (baby shampoo works great!)
*1 tbsp. spray liquid leave in conditioner (he recommends a Paul Mitchel brand)

EQUIPMENT:
mixing jar
12 oz or more empty bottle/container to put solution in
something to stir with (spoon, fork, even a clean makeup brush)
*funnel

*optional-can skip if necessary

1. Mix ingredients carefully and gently.
2. Pour onto container (use funnel to make it easier).
3. You are ready to go!

Try and clean your brushes at least twice a week if you use them daily, there is MUCH bacteria build up rich can lead to breakouts. If you have some acne no matter which brand of makeup you use, and you don't clean your brushes often, this may clear up your face substantially!

If you are new to brush cleaning, he also has a great brush cleaning tips video which demonstrates how to clean your brushes and a deep clean video (which you should do at least twice a month or so, in addition to your biweekly cleaning).

How to Clean Your Brushes:

Deep Cleaning Your Brushes:

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm

I use Enkore's version. I love this brush cleanser so much. It's easy to just dip my brushes right in and rinse this off. I let them dry over night and they dry back to being fluffy & soft. This gets everything out and even my foundation brushes have no residue left. I like that this has alcohol in it. I'm acne prone and haven't broken out after cleaning my brushes with this!

Note: I mix mine in a plastic mixing container. It's a clear plastic, has measuring units on the side, and a little hole to pour out liquids. I bought it at Walmart in their kitchen utensil area. It works wonderful because I can make two batches and keep it in this container.

on 10/12/2010 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I just wanted to add this as a tip for everyone here . I recently found this through a makeup blog and tried it my self. I found out that produce wash or vegtable wash from the health food store cleans brushes really well so I bought it. My brushes get so clean and so so and none of that oil or gunk is left behind. It melts away the foundation so easy and after my brushes dry they are very soft. So everyone needs to go get some a bottle is huge and last a long time and so cheap maybe between 3-5 dollars depending on where you live. LOVE it .

on 7/21/2010 8:16:00 AM

I used the recipe found on EnKore's YT site...and it was great! I will no longer go out and buy brush cleansers and waste my money when I can make this amazing and cheap product at home!!

It worked just as well as my MAC brush cleanser (which i will now not re-purchase), and it lasts for a long time so you can make up a big batch of it and and then not have to bother for a long time.

Seriously...I read reviews on this and had my doubts but its one of the best things I have ever made at home and I am so happy to know about it - thank you MUA once again!!

on 7/11/2010 5:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I'm glad I found this recipe on here as I just started using foundation brushes and was having trouble cleaning them. I have used this for about a month and it works great! I put it in a spray bottle and it's easy to clean my brushes off every time I use them now. I had everything (except the spray bottle) around the house, so it was practically free. Less money spent on brush cleaner means more $ to spend on fun stuff!

Popular Makeup Brushes