July 28, 2014 | 1791 users online

Pressed Powders - TheBalm - Sexy Mama

rated 3 of 5 on 4/27/2013 8:16:00 PM More reviews by bellabaluba

I have combination skin with oily t-zone. My skin preparation consist of washing my face in the morning, applying Sheer tint moisturiser by Dermalogica and a little bit of Bare Minerals mineral foundation. I usually need a touch-up around 2-3pm, because of my oily t-zone.

This product works fine as a touch-up, it does not get too powdery and melts into the skin without creating more oiliness. I do not use it every day, so I have not experienced that it clogs my pores nor creating break-outs. The only thing that really irritates me is that there is no brush or applier for this powder. I like to keep it in my purse for touch-ups during the day, and this requires me to bring an additional brush (since I do not like to bring my entire make-up purse). Because this is so impractical, I will only give it three lippies. I think I will try and find something else that has a brush or a pad in the packaging.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2013 12:04:00 PM More reviews by zoomusicgrrrl

A good powder - I liked it, though not to the point where I'm desperate to repurchase now that I've run out. I only use powder as a mattifier for my oily lids or as an eyeshadow base, and to set under-eye concealer. (Occasionally, I'll use it to anchor lipstick, too). My point is, though, that I use it predominantly only on/around eyes, as I don't like to powder over my base (I prefer to blot away T-zone oil instead). And for my purposes, it performs quite well. The coverage is good enough that I can dust it onto my eyelids and get away without putting a coloured eyeshadow on top - it just gives me a decent neutral base. However, I find it quite a 'powdery' powder, so can't be too heavy-handed when picking some up onto my brush. It's a little heavier than I'd like under my eyes, though lasts quite well throughout the day. It's definitely a good option for those seeking coverage, rather than a sheer, 'invisible' powder - though, I think this makes it best suited to lighter skin tones, rather than a universal shade.
The packaging is pseudo-Benefit, which I can take or leave. Being cardboard book-style means it gets a little shabby when I tote it around with me, but the magnetic closure stays tight. So it was quite nice not carrying round a plastic-lidded product which I normally ended up cracking!
So, overall, a powder with decent oil-control properties, that didn't oxidise ,and was gentle and non-irritating even around the eye area. Just a bit 'powdery' for my liking, and not giving my skin the lightweight 'invisible' finish it promised to deliver. Therefore, I'd possibly repurchase, but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice!

Ingredients: BORON NITRIDE, CORN STARCH, POLYETHYLENE, SILICA, ISOEICOSANE, ZINC STEARATE, PTFE, STYRENE/DVB CROSSPOLYMER, POLYISOBUTENE, DIMETHYLIMIDAZOLIDINONE RICE STARCH, COTTON POWDER, SODIUM DEHYDROACETATE. MAY CONTAIN MICQ, CI 77491, CI77492, CI77499

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2013 6:59:00 AM More reviews by ajb1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Other

This is a good solid powder. I feel it's a little more substantive, less chalky and smoother than its reliable alternative, MAC Blot. Better coverage if that's what you're seeking, though I don't know that it would work for all skin tones as promised. But I am very pale and it does for me. I wouldn't mind if it were SLIGHTLY yellower (still looking for an alternative to Revlon New Compexion Even Out, my discontinued holy grail!). But I've been using it daily, so that says something, and will probably repurchase. The packaging while nicely light and portable is a little too cutesy for my taste and though this sounds prudish I don't like having to explain to my kids what a "sexy mama" is....;) Nor does it make sense to me that a basic powder would be called that...marketing is indeed mysterious!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2013 12:55:00 AM More reviews by conilamb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

First, I got it from hautelook, so the price it gets even better. (it was less then 10$) I didnt have high hope for this powder and it does surprise me! its pigmented, its smooth, the staying power is awesome.

I use it to set my under eye concealer, love how the finish of my look after applying this powder.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2013 8:56:00 PM More reviews by AJ6488

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Beautiful, it's absolutely the right word for this product. It's so smooth, very pigmented, definitely translucent as it's advertised and doesn't look dry on skin. A light swipe on the powder is all I need for my entire face. I used to spend big $$$ on all kinds of HE powder products, and had no luck of finding my HG until now.

After buying their Mary-loumanizer and couldn't be happier with it, I decided to listen to the MUA reviewers once again and purchased the sexy mama. I have to say arn't all of you right? This is definitely another WOW product (no HE product I used before had ever wowed me). There are very simple ingredients in the product, and free from harsh chemicals. Good job Thebalm, I've found two of my HG products from you so far, and I hardly found one that I can stick to from any other brands.

Also an personal advise, a little goes a long way. DON'T overuse, overusing any powder can cause a caky face! Powder should be light weight like air, not heavy coverage, just make sure conceal any imperfection before you apply the powder over your face.

Update: I found that by putting a little powder under my eyes really helped to stop my eyeliner and shadow from smudging and fading. Even after a long hour at gym, there was no smudging. Another good surprise!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2013 11:14:00 PM More reviews by DemiK

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This powder is incredible. I have oily skin on my tzone & this keeps the oil at bay. It keeps my skin matte, but SO SOFT at the same time. I have tried all kinds of powders from bare minerals, elf, urban decay, MAC, NYX, etc. No other powder makes my skin feel this soft & look so great. It doesn't dry your face out & it does not have a white cast in photos. I got this on hautelook for the half the price, which is awesome. Would purchase again in a heartbeat!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2013 2:56:00 PM More reviews by Kakoon

I bought this after getting the balm jovi palette as a gift and loved it. I read the reviews :) and decided to try this out. I stopped using powder because my skin is somewhat dry and it made my face look horrible. This isn't drying at all and sets my makeup perfectly. Also great if you prefer not to wear a face full of makeup daily and just want a finished, less shiny look. Totally recommend, it's definitely worth the few extras dollars.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2013 6:52:00 PM More reviews by thecharm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Truly translucent, totally matte pressed powder. Fantastic for touchups for those who favor a matte look. It's the best matte translucent pressed powder I've tried at this price point. I have dry skin and it is not uncomfortable to wear, though it looks a little flat on me, which is my only reason not to repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2013 11:29:00 AM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I really like this powder especially how well it controls oil with those oil control spheres. I find when I finish my makeup I use this with my Hello Kitty Kabuki and bam no shine and oil control for quite a while too.
I am combo skinned so my T-zone loves to get oily with this it really keeps my skin looking fresh. I'm an NW-20 so it's invisible on my skin and it doesn't cake on me or accentuate dry patches.
I love the packaging and think it's perfect for my bag. Best thing also is no talc in the formula which is nice to me. This is good stuff highly recommended and I will repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2013 6:25:00 PM More reviews by lane87

I've found this along with the bronzer and blush at TJ MAxx for $14 so the price really isn't bad. The powder goes on well, feels light, doesn't smell funny, and sets foundation well.