October 24, 2014 | 1511 users online

Lip Treatments - Smith's Rosebud Salve - Mocha Rose Lip Balm

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2010 8:19:00 PM More reviews by morganlayne_h

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

LOVE! I kind of liked the original Rosebud Salve but was put off by the rose/baby powder/greasy vaseline scent. I saw this at a bookstore & was immediately drawn to the pretty packaging (I'm one of those gross people who doesn't mind lip product in a pot or tin). The tin is pink and very retro cute. [Sidenote: I also have to admit that I bought it untested partially because of the name. My dog's name is Mocha and I get a kick out of things called Mocha, LOL.]

The balm in the tin is a tad darker than the original Rosebud but it doesn't really pigment my lips at all. The smell is mainly chocolate/vanilla, slightly coffee, with no hint of rose scent (which is good b/c I think that would be a weird combination of scents). So overall the fragrance is much better than the original. I like the feel of it better as well.

Very happy with this! I paid $5.95 for it at a chain bookstore.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2010 3:32:00 PM More reviews by FoXyKiTten01

I finally got my hands on this! Ever since reading the reviews I wanted to get this, but it wasn't offered at Sephora which annoyed me. Anyhow, I have it and to be honest I'm a little disappointed. The scent is really gross to me as it is a horrible fake chocolate smell, but it fortunately disapears quickly once applied..so I took one lippie off for the smell. But smell aside, this is a nice lip balm. The texture is not like any of the other smith's balms I have/have tried. The strawberry one was the worst texture imo...very waxy. The original and the minted rose are in that slick almost "oily" feel category. This one falls somewhere in between. It kind of has this cushy "jelly" feel to it. It sinks quickly into lips and is decently moisturizing. Overall I am happy with it. I just don't fancy the smell. UPDATE***This is quickly rising in my list of fave lip balms! The sent smells soooo good once I get it on my lips. It's just smelling it up close in the tin that makes it a little overwhelming. This is also so moisturizing! Definite must for my parched winter lips.***

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2009 3:53:00 AM More reviews by channingto

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

The smell gets a little strong because it's so sweet, but it didn't really moisturize my lips that well. I was so disappointed! My lips are still chapped and flaky. sigh.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2009 12:52:00 PM More reviews by karrieleigh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

CLICK "CONTINUED" BELOW FOR PHOTOS:

Overall, I am a fan of the Rosebud Perfume Co. products. This is, as far as i'm aware, the newest variation of lip balm from them

COLOR: In the tin this is just about what it says it is: Mocha Rose. I wouldn't mind finding a blush that looked like this does in the tin, as a matter of fact.

SCENT: The first thing i get off this tin when I first open it is a slightly artificial chocolate scent, but as I exhale, the artificial note transforms into the coffee scent you expect. There is a tinge of vanilla as well, but it's an afterthought. This one might be an acquired taste for some, but if you love coffee, it's a keeper.

TEXTURE: This particular one is just about the same as the original Rosebud Salve, but it has a slightly creamier feel on the lips. This might be due to the fact that Mocha Rose contains shea butter and some "essential oils" within the petrolatum base. The original Rosebud salve has those "essential oils" claims as well but does't list shea butter in the ingredients. Mocha Rose is not thick but it's not as vaseline-like as you might think. On the lips, you get a light sheen, not enough to be glossy but to make the lips look plump and well hydrated.

PACKAGING: The tin, as most of the Rosebud tins are, is adorable. Maybe more adorable than any of the rest. I've included a photo below to show you what it looks like. Very much a vintage vibe, makes me feel like i borrowed it from my grandma, in a good way, haha.

WEAR: This clings for quite a while, I put it on and a few hours later I struggle to remember what I applied since then, and then I realize it's still Mocha Rose. The scent eventually fades, or I just get used to it, but either way, the legacy it leaves is just natural looking juicy lips.

PRICE: This is a tricky one. It will run you about $7 which isn't a lot of money, but I've heard a lot of people complain that they won't pay $7 for Vaseline. My view is this: It's not just Vaseline, it's a lip balm with shea butter, albeit in a petrolatum base, but there are any number of reasons to buy this. One being the collectability (some people collect $50 palettes and never use them, why is this more crazy? lol). Another reason being that the cute little vintage tin and the actual feeling of splurging itself for a mere $7 is a bit of a cheap thrill. I love these, for all the reasons above, and Mocha Rose is my current favorite (which might change soon as i'm about to try Minted Rose for the first time, but i'll update on that)

OVERALL: yeah it's a $7 lip balm, but it's a HUGE tin at .8oz, and it's cute and it smells great. It's a great cheap way to splurge.

continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2009 1:58:00 PM More reviews by rydellpink

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Well, Minted Rose was my favorite, but now Mocha Rose has taken it's place. Mocha Rose has a texture similar to the orginal Rosebud salve, Brambleberry Rose, and Minted Rose. It didn't add color to my lips, but it added a nice shine (like the others). I love the smell (a warm coffee smell). It also has a slight sweet taste. I will buy this again. Also, the tin is really cute.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2009 10:42:00 PM More reviews by singwritenow

I looooove these lip balms! I also have Brambleberry Rose. but Mocha Rose is my abosolute FAVE! I'm totally addicted and use them all the time. What could be better than the scent of roses and chocolate?

rated 2 of 5 on 6/26/2009 2:08:00 PM More reviews by nightvamp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am a really big fan of the rosebud salves. I had all of them but not the mocha rose, so i bought it. I really like mocha, but only the smell itself is really awfull. It smells like coffee, yuk! I really don't like it!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2009 1:56:00 PM More reviews by Perkup1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I am a self proclaimed lip balm addict, so of course I have to have all of the balms that Smith's makes. I love the Minted Rose Lip Balm and the original Rosebud Salve. This Mocha Rose with Vanilla is no exception and is now one of my favorites! I don't care for the Strawberry Lip Balm because I feel that the strawberry is too fake, I REALLY dislike Brambleberry Rose Lip Balm for the funky smell and if I am desperate for something STRONG, I reach for the Smith's Mentholated Salve. This Mocha Rose is a great balm, not to mention, I love the lovely tin packaging it comes in!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2009 3:39:00 PM More reviews by arahen

This is my second rosebud salve, my first was minted rose.
My first impression is good. The tin is adorable and pretty large for a lipbalm, while still fitting in my purse. It opens easily, and once opened a lovely chocolate&vanilla smell fills yours nostrills. I'm not very fond of the structure of rosebud salve's, they seem too gel-ish, but it does its work great! It lasts about 2 hours on my lips.
The mocha rose is harder (but not hard like the solid perfumes of lush) than the minted rose, which is a plus to me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2009 12:31:00 AM More reviews by dbmiller

I am a big fan of all the Rosebud family. They're like an awesome skin dryness army. This one smells really yummy to me. Like mocha, chocolate and vanilla. I wish they had SPF. Then they would get used constantly. Still awesome products, though!