Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals ALL

2.9

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 12.6%, Zinc Oxide 21%. Inactive Ingredients: Bismuth Oxychloride, Mica, Iron Oxides, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide

on 8/4/2004 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

First of all, let me say many of the bad reviews I see about this product seem to be from people who buy samples off of eBay. These samples may be impure or cut with talc or some other substance -- so I'd take those with a grain of salt. I bought samples off of eBay once and thought they were fine, but who knows what you're getting in a little jar of powder?

I do like BE foundation, but it's not my favorite mineral foundation. (I like Aromaleigh and Monave a bit better.) The colors may be great for darker-skinned women, but they are really lacking in the lighter shades. I think the lighter shades (1.2 and 2) need to be less orange and more yellow, and 1 needs to be less pink. BE should takes some cues from Aromaleigh and Monave and develop some more foundation shades. They seem to be able to develop new blush, eyeshadow, lipstick, etc. shades every season.

The foundation is also way too shiny if you have oily skin. That said, the texture cannot be beat. I've tried several different mineral foundations and BE has the creamiest texture. Therefore, I mix a bit of BE .2 with my other foundation (Monave Kerrie or Aromaleigh 2Yellow, depending on the season) to add a bit of creaminess to it. Of course, this required me to buy several different foundations from several different companies, but these jars will last me forever.

I don't buy all the claims about BE -- that you can sleep in it, etc. -- I'd never do that. But mineral makeup has been a godsend to me, because I can normally wear NO liquid foundation with SPF because it breaks me out terribly. The titanium dioxide in BE doesn't do this. I have persistent acne, but benzoyl peroxide along with mineral makeup has helped my skin clear up to almost perfect. I agree that you need to have decent looking skin in order for BE to terrific on your skin, but I think that's true of any foundation.
continued >>

on 8/3/2004 12:56:00 AM

I
really wanted to like these products but I don't! It's literally and
over price shimmery body powder that can irritate sensitive skin. I don't have
sensitive skin and got a serious rash within 10 minutes of wearing this make-up!!
I have two light kit samples: #1 & #2 with foundation, bisque, mineral veil, glee, warmth
and bought an extra kit with 3 eye shadows: Violet Sky (muted violet with brown
undertones), Passionate Plum (gorgeous smoky, muted violet gray) and Hay (pastel
lemony yellow). Note that the light #1 is very pink and the light #2 is very
yellow, the shades in between such as 1.2 or 1.5 is not better; absolutely nothing
like the shades of human skin tones!! Either way all are way to dark of light
and fair skin tone unless you are looking to have a orange tan complexion. I
bought these on ebay for $21 USD + $10 USD for the eyshadows. I think even the
samples are over priced considering you are getting 1/4 of a teaspoon but it's
true that it does take a small amount and it can go a long way.
BEWARE
of the bare Minerals company using your credit card! They have
been charging my credit card even after canceling my order 3 months ago and
never received any products! After trying the sample I called back within
24 hrs and cancelled; it was no problem to do so at the time. Now my credit
card has being charged again for the same transaction I canceled three months
ago!! After contacting them the same day actually within an hour of the charge
being placed (I have online banking and get notification of my cc being used
IMMIDIATELLY) they told me they can't remove the charge or cancel the order
and I must wait that the order has processed (takes 3-4 days) then upon receipt
of the package I can send it back, only then will I get a credit.
Note that I NEVER
joined their "club" as I always make sure that I uncheck any box indicating
a sign-up to news letters or automatic shipment every three months. I never
gave them any authorization to re-use my credit card. Well I call this FRAUD!!!!

UPDATE:
4 MONTHS LATER I HAVE RECEIVED A PARTIAL REFUND MINUS THE SHIPPING!!
THEY SHOULD'VE REIMBURSE ME THE TOTAL AMOUNT SINCE IT WAS THEIR ERROR NOT MINE!!!
WHAT A RIP-OFF!!!!
continued >>

on 7/30/2004 3:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Picked this up at the only Sephora in town that sold it. I hate liquid foundation, I only ever wear powder. I'd been breaking out, so I wanted something that would cover but not encourage breakouts. There's more coverage than I'm used to getting from my powder, and it doesn't change color over time. That said, this product just isn't right for me. I have friends who swear by it, but it was wrong for me on every count: Dewiness
The "dewy" look comes off as just plain oily on my already oily skin, and applying this product over moisturizer made me look downright greasy.
Oil Absorbtion
The oil absorbtion is nil. By mid-day this foundation comes off on everything and anything that touches my face - clothes, telephones, etc.
Color Selection
The color selection for gold and brown skin tones is extremely poor. The way they play it, white girls come in a dozen different shades from lily to peach, but us brown girls only come in light, medium or dark. None of the colors really match me, and I refuse to pay $25 to make do.
Allergies
If I sweat while wearing this, my face starts to itch. No break-outs though.
Overall, Bare Escentuals was a disappointment for me, though I am still determined to find the right mineral make-up.

UPDATE:I found my HG mineral foundation. It's called Monave, and it's everything BE isn't. continued >>

on 7/23/2004 8:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I absolutely love this stuff. I have oily skin and this feels so much better than putting a liquid on my face. It does take a little while to get used to it but once you do its great. The makeup is expensive but it will last you forever! I love the warmth bronzer, I have looked like I have a tan since January and I am pale. I don't think it does as well on aging skin, my mother had a hard time with it. But I love it! Also it is great at covering anything from red spots to acne, I wish I had had this in high school.

on 7/21/2004 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Makes my pores look large, makes me look like I have TONS of makeup on, somehow makes my oily skin produce even more oil than not wearing any makeup, powder has shimmery quality that makes the overall skin texture look worse, and it's all-around-BAD-makeup for people with non-perfect skin. Don't be fooled by their "it's so good for your skin, you can go to bed with it on!" campaign - yeah right.

on 7/21/2004 11:40:00 AM

Ughhh...I too am embarressed to have spent that much money on this. I have used BE eyeshadows and really liked them. However, the foundation was terrible on my skin. I have fair, combo skin. The foundation went on and made my t-zone look terribly shiny. (My nose looked like Rudoph's!) As the day went on, it looked like I hadn't even applied any foundation at all. I found it too lightweight and much to shimmery for my 32 year old face. Sorry, but I would not recommend it at all. Save your money and stick to the traditional foundation and powder.

on 7/21/2004 9:18:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

It's a learning curve, but well worth the time to learn to achieve a flawless complexion! I used to use ONLY liquid foundations and won't leave the house without my makeup on- and this mineral foundation works! It DOES make a difference what brush you use it with- to be sure. Many of us that now use BE swear by the Bobbi Brown Face Brush. It works wonders with BE! Makes all the difference in the world on how it covers large pores and the final finish.
I will never go back to liquid foundations again! :)

on 7/20/2004 2:08:00 PM

I have thought it over and over. I wanted to try this soooo bad. Today, I found a store in my city that sells BE. I am amazed at the feel of this. Absolute perfection in a foundation. I can't believe the coverage and the fact that I am not dumping liquid foundation on my skin is such a relief. I hated my foundation. I will never go back to liquid foundation. This is everything I'd hoped it would be. I am in LOVE!

on 7/13/2004 8:32:00 PM

I like this, but it's not HG and doesn't give a flawless look. I like it because it gives decent light-to-medium coverage, doesn't blotch up on my combination skin like most liquid foundations and a couple of people have complimented me on my complexion since I've used it. It also doesn't clog my pores or make me break out like many liquid foundations do. BUT...it's a bit tricky to use and is like a powder/foundation, emphasis on the powder, so be careful. Make sure your skin is moisturized and the moisturizer has time to "set" before applying the BE. It DOES NOT minimize pores or do away with fine lines. It can settle in lines a bit and emphasize pores, especially if you try to build for better coverage. Doesn't create the "flawless," poreless/lineless look the ads sell it on. It is a bit drying, even on my slightly oily skin. It can look a bit powdery and odd if you get too much on, especially around the eyes. I'll probably use until I find something I like better. I found mine for a great price (new, sealed) on ebay - have heard bad things about ordering from the infomercial.

on 7/13/2004 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have tried the BE foundation time and time again trying to get it to work for me. Unfortunately it never has. I found that it made my face look chalky, powdery and dry. It accentuated every pore and wrinkle on my face. It makes me look like I am 100 years old. (no kidding) It also has something in it that makes my face itch which is'nt a good thing. I watched the infomercial last night and of course these people looked fabulous and flawless after using the foundation. Don't believe everything that you see becuase I think that the only way this foundation would work for anyone would be if they have a flawless, fabulous complexion to begin with. The models they use on their QVC presentations have perfect complexions so of course they would look good with anything on their face.