July 23, 2014 | 1205 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Bare Minerals ALL

rated 1 of 5 on 4/5/2004 10:01:00 AM More reviews by vanrow

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got a whole bunch of BE for x-mas, and I feel bad that my mom and sister spent money on makeup that I will likely never use again. I tried it a few times, and I am pretty good at applying it, but I just think overall, for most people, this makeup just doesn't work. I used the absolute lightest (#1) and it was still too dark for me - in fact, it gave my skin an orangey color, and it made my skin feel dry and tight. It didn't give me much coverage, and just about everything else negative you've seen in these reviews, is true!
What ticks me off the most about BE as a product line is that they make all these claims about how great it is, and not one seemed true to me. And there is no justification for the price, if they are just pure minerals and all natural, why do they cost so much!?! Why does it cost $25 for some loose mineral powder?
If you are going to spend that much on makeup, you are much, much better off going with a department store brand, like MAC or Clinique. If you want all natural makeup, try Aveda, anything has to be better than Bare Escentuals.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2004 10:11:00 PM More reviews by janene5000

LOVE! Great coverage and ability to control application. The few shades offered match such a wide array of skin tones. One of my HG foundations / other powders.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/29/2004 4:23:00 PM More reviews by jewel911

I used BE foundation in the lightest shade for about 2 years. I have a porcelain complexion and wanted lightweight, sheer coverage. It did provide lightweight coverage however it seemed to age me and I am still in my 20's. Any minimal wrinkles or creases around my eyes were magnified using this product plus I didn't find the Mineral Veil to control shine at all. Also mineral make-up can be messy and hard to carry around for touch-ups during the day. One of the positives for me is that a little goes a long way making it an affordable product.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2004 5:05:00 PM More reviews by madscientist

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been using BE for like 3 years. I love it. I will never go back to liquid foundation which is so messy. I use mostly #8(Deep)with #2. The coverage is just enough to hide my discoloration. I must confess that I like MAC Blot Powder better than Mineral Veil for shine control. The key to using this product is "less is more" and a moisturizer that doesn't leave you greasy. Putting too much on looks horrible grayish and shiny.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2004 12:16:00 AM More reviews by brynndalynn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Well, second review so far and my first was incredibly lengthy so I will make an effort to keep this short for your benefit!

First off: I am a very thin skinned, rather translucent 21-year-old female with noticeable veins and blushes easily. Burns always. I rarely get acne blemishes, although I used to be rather prone to have one or two every month but use ProActiv and ProActiv works fine with this make-up. No side effects, or sensitivity when I put this on after washing my face - unlike with other regular make-ups in retail stores.

This product is very easy to apply, it isn't messy, it feels like it's not even on, it does give great coverage, looks like you're not wearing make-up, all the things they say it does, it does, the benefits they say it has, it has.

For me, however, I noticed that it is very difficult to match up my skin tone with the products they have. No matter how much of each product I mix together or leave alone it's consistenly too dark or too light. I use the lightest of them all, and if I mix ANY of the second shade in with the very lightest, I get an orangey brown look and I would rather have a whiter face than a darker face simply because without make-up my face is whiter than my neck.

I also noticed (this could be my imagination) but it seems to encourage break-outs. It could be very much coincidence, but I get extra blemishes after using this. Then again, they say it takes 1-3 weeks for acne to form so if that is true, I am very wrong about this causes break-outs.
However, another product was recommended by another reviewer, by the name of Aromaleigh and after checking out their site, after I am out of Bare Escentuals I am going to try it, it is even MORE natural, if you can imagine that, at less cost.

Yes... the cost of Bare Escentuals. Insane, by my standards. But I am the type of person that, until I find something better, I will use the best of what I know - no matter the cost - and so far, this is it.

I only use Bare Escentuals foundation because I don't want to look like I have make-up on even more, yet hide the blushes I constantly have, and knowing others can see me blush makes me blush more, very annoying and it hides any veins you can see and when I have a blemish, it covers it as well, or better (depending if I had a lucky stroke that day with the application brush)... adding lipstick and eyeshadows and blushes, etc... make you look just as made up as those that wear regular make-up's and isn't the second major point of using this to look like you AREN'T wearing make-up and don't look caked over? (The first being that it's au naturale) :P

A few tips - wash out your brushes regularly. After a very short time, not all the make-up comes out of the brushes and they get very rough to use against the skin and it reduces the quality of the new make-up you're applying. Also, if you're looking for greater coverage faster, spend the money on the Kabuki brush. It will cut your time in more than half if you're a multiple layer buffer.

And do try and find a moisturizer before you apply ANY make-up, and allow 3-5 minutes for it to really dry and settle into your skin. Applying make-up, even this natural make-up, tends to make the skin irritated and/or sensitive. Supple skin will lengthen the life of your make-up, otherwise it will dry out or get oily and look kinda gross on your face.

Most of all, just play with it for a bit. It's not a waste if you can figure out that it's the best make-up you've ever had. I didn't get it right the first time nor the second but it's easier now and even still I am noticing certain little querks to make it look better, and things I've done that have made it look not it's best.

Last but not least, shades lighter than your natural skin-tone will make your pores look larger! I have small pores so it isn't as noticeable and not a big deal but for those who already have large pores, do NOT use shades lighter than your natural skin color! :P

Hope all this gabber was useful for you! Have a great day! Thanks for trudging through! =)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2004 5:48:00 PM More reviews by RaquelZel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use foundation #3... it's the most amazing foundation ever. Even though it's not a perfect match for my skin, the color is very flexible. I used to have horrible skin, but BE has really stopped my constant breakouts. It looks absolutely beautiful on.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2004 3:01:00 PM More reviews by mrsmecstobe

Bare Minerals, I hate you. This caused the most horrible break-outs for me, which disappeared right after I stopped using it. Not only that, but my skin itched like crazy whenever I applied it. The packaging encourages mess.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/24/2004 4:16:00 PM More reviews by MUJunkee

HELP! only on Day 2 of using BE #2.3 and MVeil -
Does the tightness go away?
Does the MVeil really "do" anything?
Will I ever get it (the application) right?
Is it always so messy?

Q: there is another group called Color Science that has their mineral powder makeup contained INSIDE a brush - so you pump up the application of powder rather than BE's system -

Bourjois (saw this on the Sephora website) also has a brush that has self contained powder in it -

Does anyone know if this would work with the BE product?

I'm so discouraged right now that I want to return it - but I also want it to work for me!!!

HELP!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2004 1:59:00 PM More reviews by Sanand

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been only using Bare Minerals for several weeks now and am in love with the product. It does what Leslie Blodgett said it would do, and more. It hasn't caused me any breakouts whatsoever (I have oily skin and am, like most people, acne prone), and it goes on flawlessly, if you take the time to follow the directions to apply the ingredients correctly and not try to rush through. Why not take the time to learn how to do this right? When you beautify your already existing beauty, take the time to love yourself more when applying anything to your skin. No product out there in the market is going to do the work for you: you have to take the time to learn how to apply any product that's out there on the market. Also, I know that people with different skin tones may be subjected to certain breakouts from specific ingredients, but that is highly doubted when using Bare Minerals because it's only minerals.You're not sand-blasting your face! Understand this: this cosmetic is truly an "uncosmetic" so that goes to show you that it doesn't contain all of the waxes and oils and other "chemical-based" ingredients that's out there on the backs of the tubes of other products. I've always been interested in dermatology and with my chemistry background and biology training, it's nice to have the learned knowledge and wealth of information to help me as a consumer who, like everyone else, am eager to buy and try out new products. I saw the informercial to Bare Minerals and immediately went for the phone. I'll say this much: try Bare Minerals if you haven't already. Stay away from Alexis Vogel's products! Too oil-based and heavy, whereas Bare Minerals is just that, completely bare, and not damaging to the skin in no way. If anyone's face breaks out, it was more than likely going to break out anyways. Don't blame the product. I would love to work for the company, that's for sure! Good luck ladies!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/23/2004 12:42:00 AM More reviews by SybilCCWang

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Yuck!! I saw the infomercial and couldn't resist trying it... But big mistake! It works no better than liquid foundation and does not look natural at all!