Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals ALL

2.9

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 12.6%, Zinc Oxide 21%. Inactive Ingredients: Bismuth Oxychloride, Mica, Iron Oxides, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide

on 8/18/2004 10:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

My general conclusion is that Bare Minerals is not a bad product. I've only been using this for about three days, but I like it as much as my Mac StudioFix. I think the coverage matches that of Mac and the shade matches my Asian skin tone perfectly (I'm a light 1.2). I have to admit that it is a little "shiny," meaning there is a faint metallic sheen, especially when used on my forehead. I have medium sized pores, especially on my nose, and it doesn't make them look bigger.

I've read other reviews saying that it's very difficult to use, so what a surprise when I was began randomly experimenting with the application and found no problems! The whole process of tapping out the foundation into the cap is a little bit of a hassle, but the application was no problem for me. I find that I don't even really have to swirl and tap as the instructions say. I don't use very much of the mineral foundation - very little at a time - and if I need to cover more, then I'll use a little bit more. It gives really nice, even, natural coverage. I break out - not heavily - but the redness is really reduced with the product. It looks quite natural on me, moreso than Mac StudioFix.

As for the Mineral Veil, I think it's an okay product. I'm not sure if you're supposed to use more of Mineral Veil than the foundation, but it does reduce shine. I may have to experiment with the amount of product to use for this one a little bit more.

The foundation (and probably the Mineral Veil, too) does slip off. Oddly, it slips off more with the Clean & Clear oil blotting tissues than with regular facial tissues.

Everything is a tad on the expensive side, but there are sites out there that offer good deals.

Again, my conclusion, give it a shot. I did, even after I read all those critical reviews, and I'm continually growing fonder of BE.

Update: I can't live WITHOUT this stuff. It gives my skin an airbrushed look and feels as light as a cloud! I can't feel it at all when I wear it. It's also a great concealer (I don't have the concealer brush, so I just use my finger). I use it to cover acne and acne scars as they heal. Works like a dream. I really think the trick to it is to BUFF. BUFF BUFF BUFF! Don't just dust it on, smooth it on, fluff it on - BUFF it on!

on 8/12/2004 5:03:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This makes your face very shiny and not in a good way it accentuates every flaw, even if you apply the bare escentuals powder over it. Plus it broke out both my daughter and me. And I was so excited about this product in the beginning, but after trying it for a couple of months (got to be applying it wrong everyone else loves it) and then the break outs I wouldn't recommend it. I will never purchase again.

on 8/10/2004 9:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

At first, I loved this product, but it was way too shimmery!! It accentuated every flaw I had and made my pores look very large. After watching the infomercial, I was hooked, but I guess it might work on older skin that isn't oily or blotchy like mine. It just seemed to be too heavy on my skin and it just seemed to sit there. It may work for some people, but it did not work for me.

on 8/8/2004 2:24:00 PM

Well, this seems to be one of those products you either love or hate. Just for reference, I have sensitive combination skin, minor hormonal breakouts, and mild Rosacea.
I've found this stuff is absolutely FANTASTIC for covering the redness from my Rosacea. I dare say it has actually improved it due to the gentleness and lack of a chemical sunscreens, which generally make my face so red it looks like it's screaming!
I've noticed that it's not so much the application that's crucial; it's really the tools and amount of product one uses.
The first time I tried Bare Minerals, I ordered a small sample off of eBay.
All I had for application was a powder brush from a Sonia Kashuk. This really didn't cut it. It wasn't the sample, it was the brush! It seemed to grab too much of the powder. I ordered a kit directly off of the www.bareminaerals.com website which included 2 gram jars of #1.2 Fairly Light, #2 Light, Warmth, and Mineral Veil along with Flawless Application, Kabuki, and Concealer brushes. And I got a cute little compact as well: ). This is when my epiphany occured. After testing both colors on the jawline, I surmised that I would need to mix the two. Half and half seemed to do it(for ref, I wear C3 in MAC StudioFix, Warm Sand in Bobbi Brown, and Shade C in Stila Complete Coverage).Once I had all my tools ready, I popped in the cheesy application DVD that came with my order and followed the steps exactly and my first attempt came out wonderful. The application brush is far more tapered than a regular powder brush, so it picks up less product.You really do need all the brushes, though, and it does indeed take a little extra time.
I have enlarged pores on my nose and I found that the concealer brush is excellent for buffing the powder into the pores (and no, that hasn't caused a breakout yet!). If you find that the makeup is sitting in fine lines, you can also use the concealer brush to buff it out. The kabuki brush is what I liked. It really helps to blend in the powder so it doesn't look like it's sitting on top of the skin.Probably the most impressive product to me was the Mineral veil! As far as oil control, I've always had an oily T-zone that generally breaks though my makeup within 2 hours, no matter what I use. I made it all the way to lunch with the help of Mineral Veil. I had no problems with it looking masky or flat, or building up.
I think Ms. Blodgett shoots herself in the foot by over-touting the concealing abilities of this makeup. Epecially since I've found this really only works on red discolorations. I'd call this more of a neutralizer. If you have moderate to mild redness, broken capillaries, or mild breakouts this will work well for you. If you're a Rosacea sufferer, I HIGHLY recommend trying this!However, I would skip this if you have severe redness, breakouts, or cystic acne. I don't think this will cover moles or birthmarks, either. No, it's not a miracle product, but what is?UPDATE 11/06/05: Well, I just never got over the extra time and mess it takes to deal with mineral makeup. I've gone back to traditional liquids (Bobbi Brown and MAC). continued >>

on 8/4/2004 9:32:00 PM

I so wanted to like this and have tried it so many times. I found that it does give a nice radiance to the skin. But I have some dry areas of my face and it totally made them look drier. If it works for you..go for it.

on 8/4/2004 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

First of all, let me say many of the bad reviews I see about this product seem to be from people who buy samples off of eBay. These samples may be impure or cut with talc or some other substance -- so I'd take those with a grain of salt. I bought samples off of eBay once and thought they were fine, but who knows what you're getting in a little jar of powder?

I do like BE foundation, but it's not my favorite mineral foundation. (I like Aromaleigh and Monave a bit better.) The colors may be great for darker-skinned women, but they are really lacking in the lighter shades. I think the lighter shades (1.2 and 2) need to be less orange and more yellow, and 1 needs to be less pink. BE should takes some cues from Aromaleigh and Monave and develop some more foundation shades. They seem to be able to develop new blush, eyeshadow, lipstick, etc. shades every season.

The foundation is also way too shiny if you have oily skin. That said, the texture cannot be beat. I've tried several different mineral foundations and BE has the creamiest texture. Therefore, I mix a bit of BE .2 with my other foundation (Monave Kerrie or Aromaleigh 2Yellow, depending on the season) to add a bit of creaminess to it. Of course, this required me to buy several different foundations from several different companies, but these jars will last me forever.

I don't buy all the claims about BE -- that you can sleep in it, etc. -- I'd never do that. But mineral makeup has been a godsend to me, because I can normally wear NO liquid foundation with SPF because it breaks me out terribly. The titanium dioxide in BE doesn't do this. I have persistent acne, but benzoyl peroxide along with mineral makeup has helped my skin clear up to almost perfect. I agree that you need to have decent looking skin in order for BE to terrific on your skin, but I think that's true of any foundation.
continued >>

on 8/3/2004 12:56:00 AM

I
really wanted to like these products but I don't! It's literally and
over price shimmery body powder that can irritate sensitive skin. I don't have
sensitive skin and got a serious rash within 10 minutes of wearing this make-up!!
I have two light kit samples: #1 & #2 with foundation, bisque, mineral veil, glee, warmth
and bought an extra kit with 3 eye shadows: Violet Sky (muted violet with brown
undertones), Passionate Plum (gorgeous smoky, muted violet gray) and Hay (pastel
lemony yellow). Note that the light #1 is very pink and the light #2 is very
yellow, the shades in between such as 1.2 or 1.5 is not better; absolutely nothing
like the shades of human skin tones!! Either way all are way to dark of light
and fair skin tone unless you are looking to have a orange tan complexion. I
bought these on ebay for $21 USD + $10 USD for the eyshadows. I think even the
samples are over priced considering you are getting 1/4 of a teaspoon but it's
true that it does take a small amount and it can go a long way.
BEWARE
of the bare Minerals company using your credit card! They have
been charging my credit card even after canceling my order 3 months ago and
never received any products! After trying the sample I called back within
24 hrs and cancelled; it was no problem to do so at the time. Now my credit
card has being charged again for the same transaction I canceled three months
ago!! After contacting them the same day actually within an hour of the charge
being placed (I have online banking and get notification of my cc being used
IMMIDIATELLY) they told me they can't remove the charge or cancel the order
and I must wait that the order has processed (takes 3-4 days) then upon receipt
of the package I can send it back, only then will I get a credit.
Note that I NEVER
joined their "club" as I always make sure that I uncheck any box indicating
a sign-up to news letters or automatic shipment every three months. I never
gave them any authorization to re-use my credit card. Well I call this FRAUD!!!!

UPDATE:
4 MONTHS LATER I HAVE RECEIVED A PARTIAL REFUND MINUS THE SHIPPING!!
THEY SHOULD'VE REIMBURSE ME THE TOTAL AMOUNT SINCE IT WAS THEIR ERROR NOT MINE!!!
WHAT A RIP-OFF!!!!
continued >>

on 7/30/2004 3:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Picked this up at the only Sephora in town that sold it. I hate liquid foundation, I only ever wear powder. I'd been breaking out, so I wanted something that would cover but not encourage breakouts. There's more coverage than I'm used to getting from my powder, and it doesn't change color over time. That said, this product just isn't right for me. I have friends who swear by it, but it was wrong for me on every count: Dewiness
The "dewy" look comes off as just plain oily on my already oily skin, and applying this product over moisturizer made me look downright greasy.
Oil Absorbtion
The oil absorbtion is nil. By mid-day this foundation comes off on everything and anything that touches my face - clothes, telephones, etc.
Color Selection
The color selection for gold and brown skin tones is extremely poor. The way they play it, white girls come in a dozen different shades from lily to peach, but us brown girls only come in light, medium or dark. None of the colors really match me, and I refuse to pay $25 to make do.
Allergies
If I sweat while wearing this, my face starts to itch. No break-outs though.
Overall, Bare Escentuals was a disappointment for me, though I am still determined to find the right mineral make-up.

UPDATE:I found my HG mineral foundation. It's called Monave, and it's everything BE isn't. continued >>

on 7/23/2004 8:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I absolutely love this stuff. I have oily skin and this feels so much better than putting a liquid on my face. It does take a little while to get used to it but once you do its great. The makeup is expensive but it will last you forever! I love the warmth bronzer, I have looked like I have a tan since January and I am pale. I don't think it does as well on aging skin, my mother had a hard time with it. But I love it! Also it is great at covering anything from red spots to acne, I wish I had had this in high school.

on 7/21/2004 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Makes my pores look large, makes me look like I have TONS of makeup on, somehow makes my oily skin produce even more oil than not wearing any makeup, powder has shimmery quality that makes the overall skin texture look worse, and it's all-around-BAD-makeup for people with non-perfect skin. Don't be fooled by their "it's so good for your skin, you can go to bed with it on!" campaign - yeah right.