Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

on 7/31/2007 10:12:00 PM

I tried this because it's supposed to be gentle and I heard a lot of good things about it, but it just didn't work out. It left a film on my face, and made me break out. I think it would be better for someone without acne-prone skin. My mom has used it with good luck and she has rosacea.

on 7/31/2007 6:47:00 PM

After searching aimlessly for a perfect cleanser, I was disappointed in the over-the-counter cleansers that claimed to clear up my skin or be gentle. Usually, it didn't work or it dried out my skin too much. I started to realize that more chemicals and "functions" does not necesarily mean clearer skin. So I decided to try Cetaphil because I heard it was very gentle, and perhaps the gentle approach was better for my skin. And indeed it was. This is the best cleanser I have ever used. Don't expect huge results in a day or two. This cleanser is very gentle -- I never experienced any rashes or extra breakouts. It works slowly, clearing up your skin and just making it clean. Clean skin is good skin. It takes the gunk off your face, the gunk that can clog up your pores. I must say, I still do break out, but much less compared to before. This cleanser had no scents, and it didn't foam much. (Cleansers with alot of foam have alot of chemicals in it that make it foam. More or less foam has nothing to do with its ability to clean. Less foam may mean less excessive chemicals.) If I use the right amount, it also takes off my makeup. Don't rely on this for eyemakeup however, because you will always find some left on your eye. Use an additional eye makeup remover. After washing, my skin feels very clean, not dry, and it doesn't irritate it. By far, one of the best cleansers ever for a reasonable price.

on 7/30/2007 7:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Blech!

I accidentally bought this instead of the Daily Facial Cleanser. I'll pay more attention next time.
This felt like it left a film on my skin - like oil. Yuck.

This is a very gentle product, but I like more cleaning power. I don't feel like my face is really clean after using it.

on 7/27/2007 5:29:00 AM

Just started using it about 3 days ago. I have normal/occasionally dry skin, and wear foundation every day, at least when Im going out.
I find this just feels good to use! It scentless, and a strange jelly texture... it almost feels like a second skin. I admit that it's not too good at removing foundation, however if you apply it to DRY skin and then rub well, remove it with cottonwool, it seems to take off a lot more, and then simply repeat on wet skin, and this seems to solve the problem.
There is NONE of that tightness that comes from most cleansers, in fact, you feel as if youve just applied moisturiser. I really really like it.
Oh! and on a side note, there's none of the redness that comes from cleansing with harsher cleansers... it doesnt irritate at all!
Lovely stuff : ) Especially in combination with the cetaphil moisturiser.

on 7/27/2007 1:11:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

why i love this product:

1) fragrant-free and color-free so it's good for my sensitive skin.
2) my face doesn't feel tight and dry after washing my face with it, and yet it removes oil on my face. So i know that it's great for my skin in the long term.
3) contains few chemicals, very basic cleanser good for everyday use
4) i don't wear makeup on a daily basis unless it's special occasion, so i don't need extra strong cleanser that removes makeup. For me, it's a very good everday cleanser for morning and night.

Just some info about my skin: it's acne-prone, oily and sensitive skin type.
While this cleanser doesn't really help with my acne, it doesn't make it worse either, but it helps my skin health for sure. My acne isn't due to the type of cleansers i use and i know i can't cure my acne with a cleanser b/c it's hormonal, so i use this product and it's going to be a staple item forever and ever since it's a very basic product that does nothing but cleans my surface oil on my face.

on 7/26/2007 11:48:00 PM

Big fan. Cheap, easy to use, big bottle that lasts for YONKS! I use it every day and its great on my combo skin, not full of horrid chemicals or ingredients and helps to balance my skin. I find it great since wasting time and money on all these apparent "skin problem fighting" kinda face washes which have never done anything for me. Next try is the Ceraphil for Oily Skin see how that goes!!

on 7/26/2007 6:39:00 PM

I used this product for years then decided I should try other cleansers. Now I am back using Cetaphil. I have combination skin and find that this works well for me and minimizes breakouts without irritating my skin.

on 7/26/2007 6:20:00 PM

I suffered from cystic acne from the ages of 18-22 and I was paranoid that anything 'gentle' would cause my skin to break out. I used to joke that I could use methylated spirits on my face as it was an oil rig and nothing could dry it out. I used Proactiv for a short period which was good but expensive, plus it bleached my towels so I figured it couldn't be that good for my skin.
Then I started to go for the expensive elite brands, still under the belief that if it's expensive if it has to good. But when I broke out in eczema around my nose and mouth due to stress, I started using Cetaphil. I've been using it for around 2 months and I am so impressed!
Okay, so the texture took a while to get used to, but it cleanses like no other. So gentle, removes all makeup and has really changed the look and feel of my skin. I feel more confident about my skin that I now wear tinted moisturiser rather than heavy foundation every day. So my skin benefits in that respect too.
I still get the occasional pimple (at that time of the month) but it's manageable. I should've listened to my mum when she said that as I get older my skin would start drying out, because it is true.

on 7/25/2007 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I have oily, acne-prone skin, and I was not happy with this product. It seemed to make me break-out even more, and it was very drying on my skin.

Video Reviews & Tutorials