Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

on 7/26/2007 6:20:00 PM

I suffered from cystic acne from the ages of 18-22 and I was paranoid that anything 'gentle' would cause my skin to break out. I used to joke that I could use methylated spirits on my face as it was an oil rig and nothing could dry it out. I used Proactiv for a short period which was good but expensive, plus it bleached my towels so I figured it couldn't be that good for my skin.
Then I started to go for the expensive elite brands, still under the belief that if it's expensive if it has to good. But when I broke out in eczema around my nose and mouth due to stress, I started using Cetaphil. I've been using it for around 2 months and I am so impressed!
Okay, so the texture took a while to get used to, but it cleanses like no other. So gentle, removes all makeup and has really changed the look and feel of my skin. I feel more confident about my skin that I now wear tinted moisturiser rather than heavy foundation every day. So my skin benefits in that respect too.
I still get the occasional pimple (at that time of the month) but it's manageable. I should've listened to my mum when she said that as I get older my skin would start drying out, because it is true.

on 7/25/2007 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I have oily, acne-prone skin, and I was not happy with this product. It seemed to make me break-out even more, and it was very drying on my skin.

on 7/25/2007 4:34:00 PM

Ok, so after reading so much about this famed product, I decided to try it myself. It has a weird kind of mucous-y texture...and i really didn't think that it cleaned my face well at all. Forget the hype. I was not impressed. Although, I guess I can see the benefits if you have ultra sensituve skin....not a WOW product for me at all.

on 7/25/2007 9:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I used to have the worst acne in the world, which is now gone thanks to Accutane. My dermatologist had been recommending Cetaphil for as long as I've been treated by her, and I would always put up an argument because I, likewise to many of you here, didn't like the greasy texture and felt like I could never really "clean" my skin with it. While on Accutane my skin became so dry and unmanageable and nothing would work for it. I gave Cetaphil like my fifth try, and stayed with it longer than a couple days. My skin did calm down a bit, but it was already near the end of my treatment. When I got off Accutane my skin stayed "dry" for the first couple months following, and I continued to use Cetaphil cleanser and lotion. I actually started to *like* the feel of it on my skin. Now, over a year later, my skin has been back to it's super oily self for a while, but the acne never came back, which I attribute in part to using Cetaphil primarily and other products very sparingly. I use it at night only. It will take off makeup, but you have to rub it in well and rinse well. I agree with another reviewer's suggestion here of using an eye makeup remover first because it really will take it off easier. Some nights, after I rinse the Cetaphil cleanser off, I apply a little more to my face while its still damp and use a dry washcloth to rub it off. I find it exfoliates better than any scrub. I don't put anything on my skin usually overnight. In the morning I just rinse my face with water in the shower, and after I'm out smooth over a little of Cetaphil lotion, which makes makeup go on nicely. The hardest thing for me to get used to with my super oily skin, is getting comfortable with it not being "squeaky clean and dry." Once I stopped fighting with my skin, it calmed down and I found its OK to have oil on your skin. Having oily skin alone will not break you out. Product overload trying to dry out then rehydrate your skin will though. My suggestion would be if you have acne, to get treatment for it from a dermatologist and listen to her when she tells you to give Cetaphil a try. It takes a while for that "must dry-out my oily-skin" mindset to change, but if your skin is already bad, you really don't have anything to lose, and it might be worth the try.

on 7/24/2007 11:29:00 PM

I originally bought this for my body, because I had eczema on my legs. It worked, and my condition improved.

After reading the reviews on MUA, I decided to try it for my face as well. The eczema on my lips is always soothed after cleansing with Cetaphil, and I was pleasantly surprised.

It IS ineffective for removing heavy makeup. As one other reviewer said, if you use heavy makeup, especially foundation, then it'd be a good idea to use a proper MU remover before using cetaphil to clean away the remainder, and that's what I do.

I use Cetaphil after removing my makeup with Shu Uemura cleansing oil. And I like the results, because it is gentle but ensures that there is no residual left on my face. Moreover, I have mildly sensitive skin, so I don't want to use too strong a cleanser after removing my makeup.

on 7/24/2007 6:18:00 PM

The only cleanser I use. Everything else is too drying and that is never good. If people claim it doesn't cleanse correctly and keep getting breakouts, it isn't because your face is dirty. It's either an over abundance of oil or an actual acne infection. This can help with that if your acne is caused by irritation due to other products, but it will be of no use to those who have hormonal acne etc. Acne needs to be treated with medication and topicals. I've been on an acne regimine for years and have been completely clear due to consistent use and cleansing with nothing but gentle cetaphil.

on 7/22/2007 8:45:00 PM

This stuff sucks! It never felt that my skin was even clean. It was like there was a film of stuff left on my face. Yuck! Never again!

i have sensitive skin that is oily on the outside but dry on the inside, i also break out very often, my dermatologist recommended that i try this but i hated it.... it didnt take off my makeuo or really did anything for my skin, the only thing good about it is the price

on 7/19/2007 1:53:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

im no stranger to umscented, gross feeling, prescription face products as i suffered from eczma and acne.when my beloved aqueous cream (dermatologist recommended unscented cold cream) started to sting, i received a sample of cetaphil skin cleanser. i used it twice, and noticed how chemically smellling it was which was a major put off because it was so strong smelling compared to all other prescription products ive used.but i could get over that lol and im used to a non lathering face wash.but then i noticed a little spread of miniature white heads and bumpy skin across my chin! so i cut the cetaphil cleanser out of my routine and they started to go away. usually i can use anything on my skin while im on roaccutane because blocked pores just dont happen, but this 'gentle' cleanser didnt agree with me.but i dont mind because it smelt gross and my run of the mill bodyshop cleanser works far better than this anyway.

on 7/18/2007 7:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've used Cetaphil for approximately 8-10 years. I only use it in the morning when I first wake up. I have extremely sensitive skin and this cleanser is the most gentle pick-me-up. I will continue to use this for years and years to come.

Video Reviews & Tutorials