September 30, 2014 | 1090 users online

Highlighters - NARS - Highlighting Blush Powder in Albatross

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2010 2:39:00 PM More reviews by jessmarie09

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought Nars albatross several months ago and have been using it everyday. I am on the fence with this product. I use it almost everyday and well it just doesn't look right. It leaves an intense gold metallic sheen on my skin--not natural--and it accentuates fine lines. I tried using around my eyes and on my cheekbone. Does not look horrendous...does not look great. I am going to wait for the summer once I darken and see if that changes my perspective.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/6/2010 1:55:00 AM More reviews by imsatindoll

Okay. What is the hype? Me being african american. My skin is golden brown. Not to brown. Not to light. In between I guess. Now alot of brown sisters and even light sisters and even white sisters raved about this product. Now people say highlighters and luminizers are the same. When I think highlight I think a lighter shade under the eye. When I think luminizer I think shimmery glow that you put on your cheek bones above the blush. Now I noticed that when people rock this product...they treat it as a luminizer. So I bought it for that. Not so luminous....yeah it is a highlight powder that is good for highlighting the skin under the eye. But thats it. So...not to spectacular. I use it for a highlight which is what it is LOL. But its not a luminizer! I wish people do a good job seperating the two.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2010 1:28:00 PM More reviews by LPomona

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is the one. This is the golden highlighter that I've been looking for for years. No sparkles & no silver. It's a pure gold (PALE gold) sheen that catches the light without being OTT at all. So many highlighters are actually silvery, rather than gold, and while this looks somewhat white in the pan, if you hold it in the light you'll see that it is definitely golden. I dust this lightly across the top of my cheekbones, extending to hairline. Lovely. Also a dusting down the bridge of my nose. Also a light tough on the inner corners of my eyes for some brightening. I am NC20 w/yellow undertones & this shows up as a lovely, pale gold sheen on my skin.

EDIT: A new use for this powder that I've come up with: I *gently* pat just the ends of a fantail brush over the powder. Then I stipple the brush from eyelid to brow. Wow! A really lovely, gently brightening, golden glow! Again - you have to use restraint here because it would be easy to overdo it, but if you just use the lightest bit, it's really a wonderful effect!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2010 9:23:00 AM More reviews by patchoulissime

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Who wouldn't want that healthy, glowing skin? I certainly do, but unfortunately I was blessed with sahara desert-dry skin that won't glow no matter what. Before I found Nars Albatross-highlighting powder that is.

I absolute hate those highlighters that leave glittery specs on your face and thought I'll never find a product that just makes your skin look like the glow comes from the inside. Thankfully, with Albatross I've never had to worry I look like a disco ball because the glow is really subtle - you can't tell there's something on the skin even if you look closely.

Even though the product is white in the pan it doesn't look like that on the skin, and the best of all, it's not chalky. It blends really easily and can be build up without looking cakey or powdery. I also think it's a color that would look good on most skintones. I have cool toned skin myself and Albatross does have some goldish tint in it, but it doesn't look too warm or unnatural on me at all.

It comes in a typical Nars rubber package that get's dirty easily and the price is high for a highlighter (I paid 22 euros), but I'd definitely repurchase, if I wouldn't be lemming for Kevyn Aucoin's The Celestial Powder in Candlelight.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/31/2010 5:03:00 PM More reviews by Bartley

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm an NW/NW15. The colour on me is very gold, and unfortunately the shimmers really are shimmers. They look obvious on me no matter how much I blend, and in photographs it looks as though i have glitter on my face. Not flattering for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2010 9:56:00 PM More reviews by flauntit

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This might be my HG highlighter :)

Color: This looks pure white in the package, but I have noticed on my skin it can look ivory on my skin. Depends on the lighting, sometimes it looks more white and other times the very light gold. Either way it's very beautiful! Really brightens my look and I look like I'm glowing. I honestly think this can work with many skin tones, whether your skin is fairly light to dark brown. And it's very pigmented, so only use a little bit at a time so you don't waste product as well as don't overdue the highlighter. It is shimmery, but not overdone with other highlighters. This may be geared towards younger customers, but really I see this working for all type of customers.

Texture: Albatross is incredibly smooth. Sometimes it's a little difficult for me to blend though, if I blend immediately I will have no problems but if I wait too long the product will set and I can't blend it out well. That probably isn't a flaw with the highlighting blush, that probably happens with other makeup if I don't blend it out early.

Longevity:
I noticed this lasts on my face about 3-4 hours, which is good.

Packaging/Price: I'm not a big fan of NARS packaging. The rubberized package gets dirty easily and it's not cute pulling this out of my handbag when it has fingerprint prints or makeup fallout on it. I'm constantly cleaning it, which is a pain. But it does come with a mirror so I don't need to carry a compact mirror when I travel with this. But if it didn't get dirty so easily, maybe I'd appreciate the sleek black design of the product. But since it's amazing, I can look past the not so stellar design. As for price, I paid $25 for 0.16 oz. It is pretty steep, but the quality of Albatross really matches the price. You will not feel robbed.

Overall opinion:
+ Beautiful color
+ Capable of making cheekbones really glow and stand out
+ Works well on different skin tones
+ Lasts a long time
- Expensive (but quality matches the price so I can't really say it's a con)
- Package design is poor

Everyone needs to try this at least once in their life. :)

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2010 1:11:00 AM More reviews by amblando

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Meh. I'm too old for this shimmery stuff. I've been trying out different highlighters, and haven't found one yet that doesn't make me feel like I'm 13. This is less sparkly than most, but still makes me look like a tween.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2010 11:15:00 AM More reviews by Crump360

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

After reading two bad reviews of this products I decided that I needed to put in my two cents. This is a GREAT highlighter. Although it looked stark white in the pan, on the skin, Albatross is a sheer gold with finely milled shimmer (not glitter). It looks beautiful on my (NW35) skin. I would definately recommend this for women of color. In the reviews that I read, someone compared this to BB Shimmer Bricks (I think becuase they are used as highlighters). This product is nothing like Shimmer bricks have gradiants of color and come in a variety of colors, while Albatross is one color. Albatross is of the untmost quality and goes on incredible smoothly. Like most NARS products although sheer, you don't need a lot of product to get the glow that you want. I would definately recommend.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2010 7:58:00 AM More reviews by sexysylvia1211

I agree with the previous reviewer that there are much, MUCH better highlighters out there. After trying a couple of nars products and falling in love with them, i went on a bit of a nars shopping spree at the weekend and this was one of the things i bought. Nars products for me are really hit or miss- usually miss, like this, with occasional 'star' products. Im nc30-32 and i love light rose pink glowy cheeks. My usually routine is mac pink swoon/dainty/illamasqua tremble, with bb shimmerbrick in pink to highlight and give that 'glow'. I thought this product would be similar to bb's shimmerbricks. However, i didnt like the grainy texture, it wasnt smooth at all. It gives me a very wierd look on my skin. Its shimmery but looks so flat, and the gold sheen just doesnt look right. But was even worse, was the fact that once i had applied my blush, and then this, it seemed to completely wipe out my blusher...and all i saw was a dull gold sheen...There are so many GREAT shimmer highlighters out there- becca shimmer powders and BB shimmerbricks are wonderful- if its really the 'gold' aspect you want BB has an amazing gold shimmerbrick that gives the best glow, its thousand times better than this rubbish. I bought this for my holiday but what a waste of money :(

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2010 6:27:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

This is a sheer, slightly frosty champagne highlighter. The texture is a little grainier than I'd prefer (not as creamy as MAC's pigments), not as good as NARS powder blushes. The shade is pretty neutral and not too glittery, but it's still a little flashier than I'd expected (I'm used to liquid and cream highlighters, which tend to look the most natural). I wouldn't wear this during the day if you work in a conservative environment.

Overall, it's a nice, neutral highlighter, but I don't think it lives up to the hype, honestly. With powder highlighters, texture makes a huge difference in terms of how natural it looks. I think Becca's pressed shimmer powders are superior in that respect. And liquid or cream highlighters are even better for adding a dewy radiance (Becca's shimmering skin perfectors, Benefit's High Beam and MAC's Strobe Cream are some favorites of mine).