Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 9/13/2012 7:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got a jar from Wal-mart for $10, months ago! Been using coconut oil as a moisturizer at night, and I love it. I have combination skin so this helps with the dryness. I dont use it in the morning because I'm afraid it'll be too much and cause breakouts. I use it to take off eye makeup occasionally, and leave on the excess like an eye cream. I've also used it for lip balm, and a deep conditioner.

I wasnt thrilled with the results as a deep conditioner, even though I applied a decent amount to my long hair and left it on for hours. Will have to try again after I use up my other stuff.

I look forward to trying coconut oil in other ways after I run out of products I currently have! Definitely worth a try IMO :)

This stuff is HG status for me. I initially started using it when I developed a chronic yeast infection that lasted about 7 months and wouldn't respond to any medicine my doctor was giving me (sorry if that's TMI, but this stuff literally saved my sanity). After about 3 days of using it (ingesting 3 tbs a day, applying topically 3 to 4x a day), my yeast infection almost completely cleared up. Now, anytime I get a yeast infection, this is what I instantly go for, and it works wonderfully. I love that it has none of the nasty side effects or tolerance buildup that Monistat or Diflucan or any other prescription med for yeast has. It kills all species of candida (whereas most OTC meds and Diflucan are only effective against one or two different species), and that's not all it's good for. It also makes my skin super soft and smooth, and I like to use a little bit on the ends of my hair when it's wet. For me, coconut oil is a godsend and if you're battling chronic candida overgrowth, definitely give this a shot.
EDIT 9/24: I've found that adding a couple of drops of tea tree oil to the coconut oil gives it extra firepower for really persistent infections. This is the most effective way I've found for treating recurrent yeast infections (and I've been prescribed almost everything under the sun for it.). Wish I'd known about this one sooner!
EDIT 10/7: Thought I'd also add that this stuff works great for cold sores too. I got a really bad cold sore the other day because of the weather, and I applied some VCO to it last night before I went to bed and it already feels sooo much better. Coconut oil never ceases to amaze me.
EDIT 1/19/13: I was in the hospital for a month and coconut oil was one of the few products I brought with me. I was completely immobilized, and used this on my body when I had to be turned. All the nurses commented on how much it improved my skin, and how it even prevented me from getting pressure sores. A few of them even purchased a jar of coconut oil after seeing how much it did for me. I also had a nasty scar on my hand from my injury that I have been applying coconut oil to a few times a day, and it is nearly gone. I never, ever want to be without VCO...I buy a couple jars at a time, and use it for just about everything. Love, love, love!

on 8/15/2012 4:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I read some of the reviews about coconut oil and it seemed like an all-curing oil. I didn't like it... As a moisurizer, this didn't sink in properly, and I hate getting oil on my clothes. Used as a conditioner it was hard to wash out. I thought it would be nice to use at the ends of my hair - a nice, natural, hydrating oil, but no. My hair was weight down and looked matt and dirty, even though I used only a tiny bit of this. Oh, and the oil seemed to transfer to my back from my hair tips, and suddenly, I had acne on my back. I wouldn't ever use this on my sensitive, acne prone skin because coconut oil is, although not irritating, said to be VERY comedogenic. One of my friend began using coconut oil as a facial moisturiser after she began working at a health store. She was highly advised to try it by the older ladies there, so apparently, it worked for them. She said she liked it, but her usually perfect skin began breaking out. She didn't want to believe it was the oil at first, but had to give in after some time and use a real moisturizer. I have also tried coconut oil as a makeup remover, but it left a residue on my skin and also caused skin problems. I didn't think it was very good at removing my makeup either. I also wanted to try eating a little bit of coconut every evening before bed - what else could I use the jar I had bought for? I stopped after the first day after waking up in the middle of the night because I had to throw up... BTW: if you're making food with coconut oil, remember that it can only tolerate low to medium (up to 280 deg. Farenheit / 138 deg. Celcius) heat before transforming into trans-fat, which raises levels of the BAD cholesterol and can give you coronary disease. So, you can BAKE with coconut oil, maybe make a sauce, but don't use it for frying things! Source:
For me, who is a busy student with sensitive, acne prone skin who wants to do things fast and effective, coconut oil is definitely not an option. I'll rather buy 10 separate products that actually work. Good that some people are able to use something this natural, but I'm, unfortunately, not one of those.

on 8/11/2012 2:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am a huge fan of coconut oil.
I use it as an eye makeup remover and I have used it as a facial moisturizer in the past, but found that it didn't do much in terms of acne and acne scars. That does not dampen my opinion of coconut oil in the least though.
Along with dry skin brushing, it has helped drastically reduce the keratosis pilaris on my arms and legs. I apply it daily as a body moisturizer - and that is saying a lot because I am a person who cannot tolerate ANY greasyness on my body at all. I find most moisturizers unusable because they just leave me feeling disgustingly slick. However, coconut oil applied when I am still dripping wet from the shower does the trick. By the time the water has dried, the oil has soaked in and I am left with soft, not greasy skin. This is the only stuff I can tolerate.

It is also a great deep conditioner for hair. I sometimes apply it on the ends of my dry hair, let it soak overnight, then wash off in the morning. I also occasionally use a tiny, tiny amount as a leave-in conditioner, if my hair is wet.

Mine is organic, unrefined, and virgin-pressed so it has that faint coconut smell that I find yummy, but some find it reminds them too much of sunscreen. If you generally don't like coconut scent, buy a refined version. I buy mine at the local health store. Where I live, the price is quite steep (around 25$ for a 16oz jar) which seems like a lot for one food item. But when you consider all its uses and all the products its replacing, its extremely cheap for what it does and how long it lasts. I use mine in the kitchen to replace butter and it has lasted me about a year and a half, the same jar. (Don't worry, the moisturizing oil is scooped into a different container than the kitchen oil). The dietary benefits of coconut oil are a whole different can of worms on their own (lose weight, makes you feel fuller) but overall I cannot stop singing the praises of this fantastic product.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

totally transformed my medium-length medium-thick hair!! :D I looooveee this! makes my hair shinyyy n smooth. sometimes i mix in egg whites, castor oil, deep conditioner, n grapeseed oil. love it. try it.

on 8/10/2012 7:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Coconut oil is one of my absolute favorite things. It is a healthy oil and helps me lose weight. I follow a low carb/higher fat diet and my weight loss increased when I added this to my diet. I love using it in my eye makeup remover, as a diaper rash treatment, treatment for eczema, deep hair conditioner.

Update: I started massaging coconut oil into my scalp a few months ago. I do it at least 2-3 times a week. Since I started doing this, my hair stylist has said that my hair seems to be a lot healthier and my hair is much thicker. It also seems to be growing faster. I buy my coconut oil from vitacost.com. It's really cheap there and you can get a huge tub of it.

on 8/10/2012 7:54:00 PM

I really love Coconut Oil. There are so many uses, and its so healthy and all natural. I usually by a bulk extra virgin organic brand on Amazon, and it last forever. I do use it on my skin and face, but my favorite place to use this is on my hair. I use this as a deep over night conditioner. I heat up about a tablespoon for a few seconds in the microwave, and sometimes stir in some castor oil. I apply this to my dry, long waist level hair at night. I comb it through all over my hair and scalp, and place it in a high but loose bun. I let it soak in overnight and rinse it out in the shower the next morning( I do this every 2 weeks). Its actually a pretty light oil and rinses out very well. You can feel the amazing softness so I use light shampoo and conditioning thereafter to maintain that effect. Your hair will dry less frizzy, very shinny and so soft. If I don't have time to do this overnight, I sometimes apply this and use a shower cap in the shower letting the steam penetrate my hair and rinsing it out last. You can also use this as a quick shine serum, buy adding a small amount ( about the size of a dime for my very long hair ) rubbing it and warming it into your palms and apply to your middle and ends. Overall I am so impressed with all the uses of Coconut oil, but love it mostly for a great deep conditioner.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

The best multi-purpose beauty product I've come across.

- Works as an amazing moisturizer. I use it instead of lotions or creams and it has eliminated most of the stubborn keratosis pilaris on my upper arms.
- Makes a great lip scrub. I mix one part semi-solid coconut oil to one part sugar and rub it onto my lips to make them smooth and plump.
- Removes stubborn makeup (works exceptionally well on the notorious Maybelline Falsies waterproof mascara!)
- Softens hair. I use a dime-sized amount on wet hair before drying it, and use a tablespoon for a hot oil treatment. My wavy, coarse hair is now extremely healthy and shiny.

I've tried olive oil and grapeseed oil but they just don't compare to how much coconut oil has changed my skin and hair. Even better is how cheap it is! I got the scentless Spectrum brand in a 14 oz jar for $10, or if you don't mind a faint coconut scent, Trader Joe's also sells a 16 oz jar for $6 or $7 (I personally think it smells yummy). I've been using it every day and I still have a tenth of the jar left after 6 months. I'm absolutely in love with coconut oil!

on 8/3/2012 12:58:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

After hearing about this for so long & from so many different ppl, I finally gave in. My jar is from Trader Joes. This smells SO GOOD!!!! So far I have used as a;
body moisturizer (yay but your skin does stay slick for awhile if you apply on dry skin)
lip balm (nice)
deep conditioning trmt on my curly haired DDs (not sure I noticed a huge difference. Maybe I should've applied more to the hair?)
leave-in on the ends of my hair (too heavy & made my ends greasy. I normally use some kind of serum in the same way but I guess this was just way too heavy)
body scrub (I mixed this with some brown sugar and scrubbed all over. Also shaved with the residue oil left on my skin & was left baby soft)

I am a product ho so I'm not all that attracted to multi-use products but this smells so yummy I think I will have to get over that. ;-)

on 7/31/2012 10:54:00 PM

Coconut oil is not what I expected, I expected it to be very moisturizing/heavy. It's interesting.
I purchased Jarrow virgin coconut oil, it smells amazing and it solid when refrigerated and has to be chipped away at. I've been using it as a hair treatment, and unlike other hair treatments which don't actually improve the condition of your hair, this does. It's a pain to wash out, but when used over time, it makes your hair very shiny and silky and makes your hair ends less crunchy. Don't expect immediate results.
As for skin....I have hormonal cheek acne and it's been especially bad lately. I put coconut oil on my face and thought, well my skin can't get any worse. This is actually a little drying on my face, I've been putting it on for 20 min after washing my face in the morning/evening and it seems to fade my acne scars a lot and prevent new acne.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products