Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 11/23/2012 11:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I've waited over a month to review this and so far so good.

I buy mine in the cooking section at Target. It's about seven bucks. It's extra virgin organic but refined, and all that means is it doesn't have the coconut scent.

I initially bought this to use as a makeup remover. I got tired of spending so much money on makeup remover wipes every three weeks. I braced myself expecting the sting, which I'd always assumed was the makeup itself running into my eyes as it broke down. Evidently not. No more tears, so already I fell in love with this stuff.

I'm in Minnesota, and as soon as the weather starts its erratic turn in the fall my skin gets dry and flaky from the indoor heat and the sometimes brutal wind outside. Usually I just put up with it because moisturizers make me break out. But I had this giant jar of coconut oil and decided to give it a go as a moisturizer.

I admit I was initially terrified. Everything breaks me out, and smearing this stuff on your face gives you such a shiny sheen you look like you took a stick of butter to yourself. Ugh. Even using a little eensy bit made me shine, but the next day my face was already improved when I applied my makeup - not flaking at the mildest touch - so I stuck with it. Now it's not flaking at all.

Usually if something's going to break me out it happens within a couple of days. I've been using this nightly for over a month with no breakouts at all. I don't need primer anymore, I don't wake up with puffy eyes. Not only that, it healed the two zits I did have when I started using it, and I haven't had a pimple since.

Friends who haven't seen me in awhile tell me I have a glow. I tell them the only thing I'm doing differently is the coconut oil, so now they're all trying it too.

I've been using it as a body lotion now too, and little red bumps I'd had on my upper arms forever and a day disappeared altogether. The skin on my face and body is smooth as silk.

I tried it in my hair but my hair is very fine and it was way too heavy for me. But I also use shampoo with no sulfates, so maybe it wasn't strong enough to break down the oils when I washed it. I went to work and it looked pretty ick and dirty. I wouldn't suggest experimenting with it in your hair on a school or work night.

I think this product is amazing. I'll update the review if I experience any adverse effects, but I'm loving it and contrary to those warning people prone to breakouts against using it, I'm here to say I have very sensitive skin and I use this on my face every single night and never break out.

on 11/22/2012 12:28:00 PM

I come from India, a country wherein coconut oil is perhaps the most widely used and loved hair treatment of all times. It is relatively inexpensive, easily available and absolutely natural! It is a natural source of lauric acid, capric acid, caprylic acid, vitamin E, vitamin K and protein and it has antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial and soothing properties.

The benefits of coconut oil are ample, both internal and external, however this review is for coconut oil as a hair treatment :). I have tried coconut oils of various types - the standard blue bottle of pure coconut oil that we get almost everywhere in India (refer the 8th picture on this page), the "enriched" versions and even the super expensive coconut hair oil from the body shop. They all work wonders, however nothing can beat the no frills pure coconut oil.

I usually prefer to use coconut oil as an overnight deep conditioning treatment. What I do is, I take a good amount of coconut oil, warm it up and apply it all over my hair including the scalp. A lot of people insist that you need not use any oils on your scalp, but hey, even your scalp needs nourishment and nutrition, right? I also focus on the ends of my hair since they tend to get dry and split easily. Then I braid my hair and go to bed and wash it off the next day (you might have to shampoo your hair twice to make sure that your hair is completely clean)

I have been doing this on and off since months and I can definitely tell that my hair looks a lot smoother, bouncier and most importantly HEALTHIER because of coconut oil. The ends of my hair look tamed and there is no dryness whatsoever. If used regularly, it can help your hair to recover from the damage that is caused by chemicals and heat styling due to the natural protein content. It can also be used as a leave-in conditioner but I personally do not prefer it that way since my hair tends to look greasy, but as an overnight treatment I absolutely love it and recommend it :)

This is my first review as I felt so compelled to share this. I've been using this for about 9 months (was previously on Kiehl's, then Elemis then Ren body creams). I'm trying an "if I can't eat it, don't put it on my skin" policy and people,if you use this right, it is Fantastic.

I buy mine from Whole Foods in the cooking oils department, cold pressed extra virgin organic Coconut oil, a massive tub for £5 (on offer then) and I've only managed to use around 10% of it, so in terms of price, well, it's the cheapest most organic beauty product I've bought in my life. I've recommended it to 4 of my friends so far and they LOVE it.

FACE
If you have oily or combination skin DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT USE IT ON YOUR FACE. It clogs pores and you will break out in acne and blackheads. I think it would work wonders for people with very dry skin (dry skin people, I also recommend Dr Haushka for the face, works wonders as I hear from all my dry skinned friends).

HAIR
This is a very, very great mask for people with dry hair. If you have oily hair, try to use this once every 2 weeks (leave on for as long as you want, shampoo at least 2 - 3 times to get it all out otherwise you will be left with nasty chunky streaks during blow dry).

BODY
I tend to have oily/combination skin on hair and face but my body is a different story. The water in London is quite hard so it leaves my body with dry areas (elbows, legs, etc.). I slide this oil on after showers on damp towel dried skin, you only need a little, and it works wonders. I stay moisturised all day and I love knowing its completely chemical free. My bf says I smell like a Piña Colada :)

DOSAGE
It is oil and although it sinks in very quickly, be careful not to use too much otherwise it just feels oily and uncomfortable. The amount you need depends on your skin's absorption abilities so start small and layer up if not enough. Some days I use this in the morning and don't need any more moisturising until two mornings after and some winter months I use it every morning so it just depends on the person.

Hope this was helpful! Remember to always use organic when possible and treat your skin with respect, don't ruin it with too much chemicals and make up!

on 11/17/2012 4:47:00 AM

When ingested and digested your body doesn't store this as fat!!!! YOUR BODY USES THIS FOR ENERGY AND SPEEDS UP YOUR METABOLISM! GOODBYE EVOO, I USE THIS FOR COOKING AND IT HAS A VERY pleasant taste- LOVE!

on 11/15/2012 6:54:00 PM

Not for everyone!! I had very good skin before trying EV coconut oil on my face. I wanted to give it a try to move more towards natural skin care, and since I don't (didn't) have breakout prone skin I decided to give it a try.
I bought the best EVCO from Whole foods, unprocessed, raw, cold pressed etc etc.
The first week or so of using the coconut oil I thought it was great and my skin was so soft and had a "glow", after about a week I started getting little pimples, which I thought was the "detox" period of the oil, so I stuck with it for a few more weeks. By then my skin had gotten TERRIBLE!!! I was breaking out horribly in places I had never had pimples before. It was an absolute nightmare, so I stopped using the oil after almost 2 months in total (I really gave it a good chance), and I returned to my good old chemical-laden products.
It took 3 months for my skin to completely clear, and it has now finally returned to normal.
Anyways... maybe it is a good product for the body, hair, lips... but be careful on the face!!!!!

on 11/6/2012 9:21:00 AM

I LOVE coconut oil. I use it for cooking, but also for making DIY products. I have been using it in my toothpaste recipe for 2 years now and my teeth are strong. I've also been using it in my deodorant and it works very well. I use it on my body when I get out of the shower and my skin is like silk.

However I do offer a word of caution for those who easily breakout or have congested skin...it can clog your pores. It causes breakouts if I use it on my face, or even to do the oil cleansing method. So if you are like me, you might want to just keep that in mind.

on 11/1/2012 6:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

after hearing so many amazing reviews for coconut oil, i decided to give it a go and i've been trying to convert my skincare routine into organic and natural. i use coconut oil on my face as a cleanser in the shower and then on damp hair afterwards as a leave-in treatment. both work fantastically! i also use coconut oil as a shaving cream and it leaves my skin so soft i don't need moisturiser afterwards! love love love this :)

on 10/28/2012 11:33:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

LOVE LOVE LOVE! I have only used this on my hair for right now, and it has made such a huge improvement! I've tried to deal with my coarse and brittle dry hair my whole life, and have got used to the crunchyness on my ends. Thanks to MUA I read all the great things about CO so I had to go buy some for myself. I use it on dry hair and thoroughly coat it from roots to ends and massage into the scalp. I usually leave it overnight but I also just for a few hours. I only need to shampoo once because I need that moisture, then I follow with a bit of conditioner on the ends. It makes it easier to blowdry straight and flat iron. The end result is my shiny and smooth hair! I always know that if I use this treatment the day before I need my hair to look awesome, I KNOW I'm gonna have a good hair day! Buy it! You won't regret it.

on 10/28/2012 10:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

It's funny how coconut oil reviews can get me excited about an oil I've been using for about a year and a half now. Nonetheless, I started using it for just my skin, and man was that amazing. I wish I was one of those people who can apply this to their bare skin and not break out everywhere, but unfortunately I am not. BUT I use this as a pre-cleanse instead and it is great, still works, and does not break me out.

I first remove all my makeup with a makeup wipe(I only do this at night). Then I apply a generous amount to my face, because I'll be washing it off in a bit. Then, once I've thoroughly rubbed it in, I wash my face with hot water and still kind of rub it in, kind of like a steam treatment. Once I do this for a little bit(2 minutes or so), I wash my face with a gentle cleanser. I use Cerave Foaming Facial Cleanser, which is very mild. I don't recommend using an anti-acne cleanser for this, as it will likely negate the coconut oil. I always found anti-acne cleansers to worsen my skin anyway. Once I do that, my skin feels very moisturized, and in the winter, I'll still apply moisturizer after that. Then, when I wake up in the morning, my skin feels as good as new. I used to do this every few days or so, now I just do it once every one-two weeks as a refresher. I don't break out so much anymore, though I don't know if it's because I stopped abusing my skin with a million products or I'm just growing out of it. But when I first started using it, all of the acne scars I thought would *never* go away were all gone within the month. I used a bunch of those skin refining scar-removing treatment products and they barely made any difference. Also, when it's that time of the month and I start to see cystic pimples popping up(that's the only kind I get), a pre-cleanse of coconut oil will stop them right in their tracks. Not to mention coconut oil is much cheaper.

I highly recommend this oil to anyone with sensitive skin and thus have trouble using a lot of skincare products. For those who are afraid of breakouts or have combination/oily skin, try using it as a pre-cleanser first. Afterwards, if you think you can, you can try applying it to your bare skin. I don't think it's a good idea to judge it by trying it first on dry skin, since I know personally that will give me a ton of whiteheads and make my skin really oily(all day). On a side note, this does not make my skin more oily throughout the day when I use it as a pre-cleanse. On the contrary, my skin is much less oily for the following days afterward. Using it every day is a bit much though.

I haven't given using it on my hair and the rest of my skin yet, though I will after reading all of these reviews again. Oh yeah, and I have tried eating some, and it tastes better than butter on some things. I use it to cook sometimes, though, and I know this is probably in my head, sometimes it feels like it's making me gain weight. I want to use it more though after reading these reviews, since I'm probably not following a suitable diet for coconut oil to help. Admittedly I tend to eat high carb high sugar food, which I can only blame myself for. So don't listen to me, other than if you're following a low carb diet, coconut oil will help immensely since it is very filling and has good saturated fat. It's like avocado, for example. And by low carb diet I don't mean Atkins or whatever, more like less wheat and gluten products. I'm a bread fiend, so it's tough. You can downvote me for that last comment if you want, I just thought I'd put it out there. Anyway this is an amazing oil with an immense amount of uses, and I can almost guarantee that you will find a use for it in some way :)

I'm also now very interested in oil pulling....I'll give an update when I've given using it on my hair and including in my diet a try.

on 10/28/2012 12:44:00 AM

One of the worst pieces of advice I ever received was, only condition your hair from the ears down. Thanks to MUA, I've been using coconut oil to treat my hair AND scalp for a few weeks now. I feel like I have new hair!! My hair is generally pretty healthy, but I feel like I've been fighting with it for a few years now and always looking for products to make my hair more manageable. I had even considered springing for an expensive salon treatment. My $10 jar of coconut oil saved my hair and my budget. I warm a small amount of coconut oil, sometimes I mix it with up to 50% castor oil, apply it directly to my scalp, work it through the ends, cover it with a shower cap and towel for a few hours or overnight. It does need to be washed out. My hair feels thicker, fuller, so soft and manageable! My favorite new thing is my hairline. It actually looks and feels nice now. All those baby hairs behaving themselves. This is the first time I've worn my hair pulled back to expose my hairline in years. I love it!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products