Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

Cocos nucifera

on 12/6/2012 2:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other

I became a CO fan about 2 months ago and I havent turned back. I recommend the unrefined virgin CO. My personal favorite is from Trader Joe's for 5.99. It has become a beauty staple for me and I believe it's God's best creation next to human breastmilk. It's good for you and it smells AMAZING. Google all the things you can do with it. Here are the things I do with it:

Preshampoo-drench my hair from scalp to root. Without heat, leave it in for about an hour then shampoo as normal. With heat, I leave it in for 15-30minutes then shampoo. CO penetrates the hair shaft and actually nourishes your hair to make it stronger, softer, and shinier. Many masques just cover damaged hair but CO actually heals it.

Tame fly-aways- rub a pea-sized amount in palms and then work it through dry hair before or after styling for lightweight moisture and shine.

Added to my deep conditioner

All over body moisterizer right out of the shower.

My dog loves it (to eat and on her skin) -good for her coat, digestion, energy.

Diaper rash prevention

Great moisturizer for my son's dry curly hair.

Cuticle oil

Lip Moisturizer

TBLSP In my coffee-google the internal benefits.

Cooking oil

Eyemakeup remover and eye cream

Use liberally on burns (you will be AMAZED by this), cuts, scrapes, and bruises.

And again, the smell is enough to keep me buying over and over again:-)

on 12/5/2012 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Coconut oil is worth the buy. It can be used for anything, my mom puts a little in her coffee every morning and she loves it! She cant drink her coffee without it! My sister has used it as a face wash, (leaves oily for a few minutes then just leaves face soft) I use it in my egg protein treatments just put an egg and equal coconut oul and it does wonders! You can use it as a deep condition. And it moisturies your hair great! Coconut oil is good for locking in moisture as well. It hekps repair ends because it is a protein!

on 12/4/2012 11:24:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I discovered coconut oil about 2 years ago after reading about the benefits of using the oil for hair growth and hair health from www.naturallycurly.com. It's been a beauty & cooking staple ever since! I LOVE using this oil twice a week to moisturize my hair. The best coconut oil should be packaged in a glass container to keep any toxins from plastic/resin from being absorbed. Using a teaspoon, I will transfer some coconut oil to a smaller jar that I keep in my bathroom (for hygiene reasons). I usually only use coconut oil on my scalp and hair. I'll warm about a quarter-sized amount (typically it's a solid unless you live in the tropics) in the palm of my hands and then massage the oil into my scalp and whatever is left, coat the length of my hair. I'll then gather my hair up in a clip and leave it to soak into my hair for about two hours before shampooing back out. I have dry, curly hair and I've found that this is such a great deep conditioner that really help de-frizz my hair and it smells SO GOOD! It can be a little pricey depending on where you purchase the oil. You can get a really good deal by purchasing from wholesale retailers such as Costco. I found a 72 oz jar of Nutiva Organic coconut oil for $21 which is such a great deal especially since I was going through a 14 oz jar each month. Buying in bulk is the way to go!

on 11/25/2012 2:40:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I first bought coconut oil (unrefined!!! and organic) for my byracial daughter's hair after I co wash it. But I have found many uses and my favorite and most succesful is I take my makeup off with it (I wear 2 primers, revlon colorstay (lately the whipped), concealer, under eye brightner, benefit lemonade on top lids pressed powder, hd powder, bronzer, blush and highlighter (wow u dont realise how much junk u put on ure face til u spell it out) so I slather it on twice messaging it into my skin then I actually wash my face, and I no longer get the yeast rashes on my chin anymore...which were impossible to get rid completely before. ALSO I take my eye makeup off with it and and it has made my eyelashes even longer. I have pretty good lashes anyway but one day I was like where are the lashes on the corners comming from, there so long. Gradually its improving all my lashes..and I used to vaseline but this works so much better!

on 11/24/2012 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I've been using coconut oil for all kinds of stuff... love it!

I use it as a general moisturizer all over. A little goes a long way. The first time I used it, I put way too much and felt so greasy. So start small, and add more if necessary. I love how it makes my legs look... just a slight sheen. It's also great for nails/cuticles. I rub a dab into my dry hair to tame the frizzies. I have used it a few times on my face when it felt really tight & dry (due to harsh cleansers). I have oily skin with a tendency to break out. I never got a single pimple while using it, although it did leave a little sheen on my skin. However, I would just use it at night before going to bed... so no big deal.

I've been using the Trader Joe's brand. It comes in a pretty big jar... so I leave it in the kitchen pantry and just transfer some to a smaller jar for use on my skin, etc.

Cooking with it is also great! I make popcorn on the stovetop with it, and I love to stirfry veggies in it. Try it drizzled over vanilla or chocolate ice cream. So good!

on 11/23/2012 11:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I've waited over a month to review this and so far so good.

I buy mine in the cooking section at Target. It's about seven bucks. It's extra virgin organic but refined, and all that means is it doesn't have the coconut scent.

I initially bought this to use as a makeup remover. I got tired of spending so much money on makeup remover wipes every three weeks. I braced myself expecting the sting, which I'd always assumed was the makeup itself running into my eyes as it broke down. Evidently not. No more tears, so already I fell in love with this stuff.

I'm in Minnesota, and as soon as the weather starts its erratic turn in the fall my skin gets dry and flaky from the indoor heat and the sometimes brutal wind outside. Usually I just put up with it because moisturizers make me break out. But I had this giant jar of coconut oil and decided to give it a go as a moisturizer.

I admit I was initially terrified. Everything breaks me out, and smearing this stuff on your face gives you such a shiny sheen you look like you took a stick of butter to yourself. Ugh. Even using a little eensy bit made me shine, but the next day my face was already improved when I applied my makeup - not flaking at the mildest touch - so I stuck with it. Now it's not flaking at all.

Usually if something's going to break me out it happens within a couple of days. I've been using this nightly for over a month with no breakouts at all. I don't need primer anymore, I don't wake up with puffy eyes. Not only that, it healed the two zits I did have when I started using it, and I haven't had a pimple since.

Friends who haven't seen me in awhile tell me I have a glow. I tell them the only thing I'm doing differently is the coconut oil, so now they're all trying it too.

I've been using it as a body lotion now too, and little red bumps I'd had on my upper arms forever and a day disappeared altogether. The skin on my face and body is smooth as silk.

I tried it in my hair but my hair is very fine and it was way too heavy for me. But I also use shampoo with no sulfates, so maybe it wasn't strong enough to break down the oils when I washed it. I went to work and it looked pretty ick and dirty. I wouldn't suggest experimenting with it in your hair on a school or work night.

I think this product is amazing. I'll update the review if I experience any adverse effects, but I'm loving it and contrary to those warning people prone to breakouts against using it, I'm here to say I have very sensitive skin and I use this on my face every single night and never break out.

on 11/22/2012 12:28:00 PM

I come from India, a country wherein coconut oil is perhaps the most widely used and loved hair treatment of all times. It is relatively inexpensive, easily available and absolutely natural! It is a natural source of lauric acid, capric acid, caprylic acid, vitamin E, vitamin K and protein and it has antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial and soothing properties.

The benefits of coconut oil are ample, both internal and external, however this review is for coconut oil as a hair treatment :). I have tried coconut oils of various types - the standard blue bottle of pure coconut oil that we get almost everywhere in India (refer the 8th picture on this page), the "enriched" versions and even the super expensive coconut hair oil from the body shop. They all work wonders, however nothing can beat the no frills pure coconut oil.

I usually prefer to use coconut oil as an overnight deep conditioning treatment. What I do is, I take a good amount of coconut oil, warm it up and apply it all over my hair including the scalp. A lot of people insist that you need not use any oils on your scalp, but hey, even your scalp needs nourishment and nutrition, right? I also focus on the ends of my hair since they tend to get dry and split easily. Then I braid my hair and go to bed and wash it off the next day (you might have to shampoo your hair twice to make sure that your hair is completely clean)

I have been doing this on and off since months and I can definitely tell that my hair looks a lot smoother, bouncier and most importantly HEALTHIER because of coconut oil. The ends of my hair look tamed and there is no dryness whatsoever. If used regularly, it can help your hair to recover from the damage that is caused by chemicals and heat styling due to the natural protein content. It can also be used as a leave-in conditioner but I personally do not prefer it that way since my hair tends to look greasy, but as an overnight treatment I absolutely love it and recommend it :)

This is my first review as I felt so compelled to share this. I've been using this for about 9 months (was previously on Kiehl's, then Elemis then Ren body creams). I'm trying an "if I can't eat it, don't put it on my skin" policy and people,if you use this right, it is Fantastic.

I buy mine from Whole Foods in the cooking oils department, cold pressed extra virgin organic Coconut oil, a massive tub for £5 (on offer then) and I've only managed to use around 10% of it, so in terms of price, well, it's the cheapest most organic beauty product I've bought in my life. I've recommended it to 4 of my friends so far and they LOVE it.

If you have oily or combination skin DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT USE IT ON YOUR FACE. It clogs pores and you will break out in acne and blackheads. I think it would work wonders for people with very dry skin (dry skin people, I also recommend Dr Haushka for the face, works wonders as I hear from all my dry skinned friends).

This is a very, very great mask for people with dry hair. If you have oily hair, try to use this once every 2 weeks (leave on for as long as you want, shampoo at least 2 - 3 times to get it all out otherwise you will be left with nasty chunky streaks during blow dry).

I tend to have oily/combination skin on hair and face but my body is a different story. The water in London is quite hard so it leaves my body with dry areas (elbows, legs, etc.). I slide this oil on after showers on damp towel dried skin, you only need a little, and it works wonders. I stay moisturised all day and I love knowing its completely chemical free. My bf says I smell like a Piña Colada :)

It is oil and although it sinks in very quickly, be careful not to use too much otherwise it just feels oily and uncomfortable. The amount you need depends on your skin's absorption abilities so start small and layer up if not enough. Some days I use this in the morning and don't need any more moisturising until two mornings after and some winter months I use it every morning so it just depends on the person.

Hope this was helpful! Remember to always use organic when possible and treat your skin with respect, don't ruin it with too much chemicals and make up!

on 11/17/2012 4:47:00 AM

When ingested and digested your body doesn't store this as fat!!!! YOUR BODY USES THIS FOR ENERGY AND SPEEDS UP YOUR METABOLISM! GOODBYE EVOO, I USE THIS FOR COOKING AND IT HAS A VERY pleasant taste- LOVE!

on 11/15/2012 6:54:00 PM

Not for everyone!! I had very good skin before trying EV coconut oil on my face. I wanted to give it a try to move more towards natural skin care, and since I don't (didn't) have breakout prone skin I decided to give it a try.
I bought the best EVCO from Whole foods, unprocessed, raw, cold pressed etc etc.
The first week or so of using the coconut oil I thought it was great and my skin was so soft and had a "glow", after about a week I started getting little pimples, which I thought was the "detox" period of the oil, so I stuck with it for a few more weeks. By then my skin had gotten TERRIBLE!!! I was breaking out horribly in places I had never had pimples before. It was an absolute nightmare, so I stopped using the oil after almost 2 months in total (I really gave it a good chance), and I returned to my good old chemical-laden products.
It took 3 months for my skin to completely clear, and it has now finally returned to normal.
Anyways... maybe it is a good product for the body, hair, lips... but be careful on the face!!!!!

Popular Lotions / Creams