Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 10/17/2012 2:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've been waiting 3 weeks to write a review since using this, though I wanted to write one after the first few days but I wanted to give a very thorough review of my experience with this awesome oil.
Well, first of all I find that I cannot use this on my face, but that's okay because everywhere else it is absolutely awesome for me. I did try it as a makeup remover which worked great, but it still gave me a lot of blackheads the next morning..so it's not for my face and I understand a lot of people cant use it on their face either.
I put it in my hair once a week and leave on for as long as I want, and then wash it out. I don't even have to condition my hair anymore because it's so soft and manageable and looks so much healthier. It also makes my scalp feel really great, but I have to put shampoo in my hair 2-3 times to get it all out.
It makes an awesome shave lotion and I don't get razor burn anywhere that I put it, and after the shower it's a great moisturizer and my skin has a better look to it.
It is an awesome lip balm too, it makes my lips feel so nice and silky and it's very hydrating, better than any of my regular lip balms I have.
Some really good things I've noticed since using it is, that I used to have these tiny bumps on my upper arms and I don't have those anymore. I have a few red blotchy places on my calves and those are a lot less noticeable as well. My hands and cuticles look a lot better too. I have even consumed small amounts of it, like a teaspoon or so, and I feel healthier..I don't know if it has anything to do with it but it might. I really think it does help your hair grow, because since using it as a lotion I have to shave a lot more often.

on 10/10/2012 5:19:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

6 months ago I was giving up on my dry brittle hair. then I remembered my mum spreading coconut + olive oil on my hair when I was a child. I began to do that again and my hair looks amazing.
Apply a spoon of coconut and a spoon of olive a little warm starting on the ends and going up and then massage your scalp, and then put a plastic bag over your head for 30 mins. Rinse w shamppo and a bit of conditioner and dry. You will notice changes after the 2-3 time you do this treatment.
You do have to be constant with this type of treatment or it won't work, you have to do this once a week, but is so worth it it will became your routine.

My hair dresser gave me a bottle of coconut oil that a customer had brought back from a vacation, and she said she could't use it on anyone but me - I have very thick, dry and curly hair. What surprised me initially was that this oil actually thickened to a paste in my bathroom, which appearantly is much cooler than my hair dresser's. It still isn't too difficult to use though, I usually just squeeze the plastic bottle and take out a small pea-sized amount with a spatula, then warm that in my hands and apply it on towel-dry hair, which works nicely - it gives me shine and eases frizz, and the bottle will probably last me a lifetime so not sure I will have to repurchase ;)
I also tried this as an intense overnight conditioner (heating some up in the microwave), but I won't repeat that - it was just messy and didn't seem to leave my hair that much better for it. I have tried many hair oils now and the big advantages of this are the neutral smell (it actually doesn't smell of coconut in its natural state) and the fact that it doesn't make my dark blonde hair with highlights look any darker. I wouldn' t call this a HG though, I am still looking for the perfect hair oil. I liked this best along with Moroccanoil so far though, and while Moroccanoil often gets criticized for the high content of silicones, this one is all- natural, so I feel safer using it.

This product is alright, but I would highly recommend Memory Oil! I bought this 14 oz. bottle of oil for $10 and I'm in love with it!

on 9/13/2012 7:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got a jar from Wal-mart for $10, months ago! Been using coconut oil as a moisturizer at night, and I love it. I have combination skin so this helps with the dryness. I dont use it in the morning because I'm afraid it'll be too much and cause breakouts. I use it to take off eye makeup occasionally, and leave on the excess like an eye cream. I've also used it for lip balm, and a deep conditioner.

I wasnt thrilled with the results as a deep conditioner, even though I applied a decent amount to my long hair and left it on for hours. Will have to try again after I use up my other stuff.

I look forward to trying coconut oil in other ways after I run out of products I currently have! Definitely worth a try IMO :)

This stuff is HG status for me. I initially started using it when I developed a chronic yeast infection that lasted about 7 months and wouldn't respond to any medicine my doctor was giving me (sorry if that's TMI, but this stuff literally saved my sanity). After about 3 days of using it (ingesting 3 tbs a day, applying topically 3 to 4x a day), my yeast infection almost completely cleared up. Now, anytime I get a yeast infection, this is what I instantly go for, and it works wonderfully. I love that it has none of the nasty side effects or tolerance buildup that Monistat or Diflucan or any other prescription med for yeast has. It kills all species of candida (whereas most OTC meds and Diflucan are only effective against one or two different species), and that's not all it's good for. It also makes my skin super soft and smooth, and I like to use a little bit on the ends of my hair when it's wet. For me, coconut oil is a godsend and if you're battling chronic candida overgrowth, definitely give this a shot.
EDIT 9/24: I've found that adding a couple of drops of tea tree oil to the coconut oil gives it extra firepower for really persistent infections. This is the most effective way I've found for treating recurrent yeast infections (and I've been prescribed almost everything under the sun for it.). Wish I'd known about this one sooner!
EDIT 10/7: Thought I'd also add that this stuff works great for cold sores too. I got a really bad cold sore the other day because of the weather, and I applied some VCO to it last night before I went to bed and it already feels sooo much better. Coconut oil never ceases to amaze me.
EDIT 1/19/13: I was in the hospital for a month and coconut oil was one of the few products I brought with me. I was completely immobilized, and used this on my body when I had to be turned. All the nurses commented on how much it improved my skin, and how it even prevented me from getting pressure sores. A few of them even purchased a jar of coconut oil after seeing how much it did for me. I also had a nasty scar on my hand from my injury that I have been applying coconut oil to a few times a day, and it is nearly gone. I never, ever want to be without VCO...I buy a couple jars at a time, and use it for just about everything. Love, love, love!

on 8/15/2012 4:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I read some of the reviews about coconut oil and it seemed like an all-curing oil. I didn't like it... As a moisurizer, this didn't sink in properly, and I hate getting oil on my clothes. Used as a conditioner it was hard to wash out. I thought it would be nice to use at the ends of my hair - a nice, natural, hydrating oil, but no. My hair was weight down and looked matt and dirty, even though I used only a tiny bit of this. Oh, and the oil seemed to transfer to my back from my hair tips, and suddenly, I had acne on my back. I wouldn't ever use this on my sensitive, acne prone skin because coconut oil is, although not irritating, said to be VERY comedogenic. One of my friend began using coconut oil as a facial moisturiser after she began working at a health store. She was highly advised to try it by the older ladies there, so apparently, it worked for them. She said she liked it, but her usually perfect skin began breaking out. She didn't want to believe it was the oil at first, but had to give in after some time and use a real moisturizer. I have also tried coconut oil as a makeup remover, but it left a residue on my skin and also caused skin problems. I didn't think it was very good at removing my makeup either. I also wanted to try eating a little bit of coconut every evening before bed - what else could I use the jar I had bought for? I stopped after the first day after waking up in the middle of the night because I had to throw up... BTW: if you're making food with coconut oil, remember that it can only tolerate low to medium (up to 280 deg. Farenheit / 138 deg. Celcius) heat before transforming into trans-fat, which raises levels of the BAD cholesterol and can give you coronary disease. So, you can BAKE with coconut oil, maybe make a sauce, but don't use it for frying things! Source:
For me, who is a busy student with sensitive, acne prone skin who wants to do things fast and effective, coconut oil is definitely not an option. I'll rather buy 10 separate products that actually work. Good that some people are able to use something this natural, but I'm, unfortunately, not one of those.

on 8/11/2012 2:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am a huge fan of coconut oil.
I use it as an eye makeup remover and I have used it as a facial moisturizer in the past, but found that it didn't do much in terms of acne and acne scars. That does not dampen my opinion of coconut oil in the least though.
Along with dry skin brushing, it has helped drastically reduce the keratosis pilaris on my arms and legs. I apply it daily as a body moisturizer - and that is saying a lot because I am a person who cannot tolerate ANY greasyness on my body at all. I find most moisturizers unusable because they just leave me feeling disgustingly slick. However, coconut oil applied when I am still dripping wet from the shower does the trick. By the time the water has dried, the oil has soaked in and I am left with soft, not greasy skin. This is the only stuff I can tolerate.

It is also a great deep conditioner for hair. I sometimes apply it on the ends of my dry hair, let it soak overnight, then wash off in the morning. I also occasionally use a tiny, tiny amount as a leave-in conditioner, if my hair is wet.

Mine is organic, unrefined, and virgin-pressed so it has that faint coconut smell that I find yummy, but some find it reminds them too much of sunscreen. If you generally don't like coconut scent, buy a refined version. I buy mine at the local health store. Where I live, the price is quite steep (around 25$ for a 16oz jar) which seems like a lot for one food item. But when you consider all its uses and all the products its replacing, its extremely cheap for what it does and how long it lasts. I use mine in the kitchen to replace butter and it has lasted me about a year and a half, the same jar. (Don't worry, the moisturizing oil is scooped into a different container than the kitchen oil). The dietary benefits of coconut oil are a whole different can of worms on their own (lose weight, makes you feel fuller) but overall I cannot stop singing the praises of this fantastic product.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

totally transformed my medium-length medium-thick hair!! :D I looooveee this! makes my hair shinyyy n smooth. sometimes i mix in egg whites, castor oil, deep conditioner, n grapeseed oil. love it. try it.

on 8/10/2012 7:59:00 PM

Coconut oil is one of my absolute favorite things. It is a healthy oil and helps me lose weight. I follow a low carb/higher fat diet and my weight loss increased when I added this to my diet. I love using it in my eye makeup remover, as a diaper rash treatment, treatment for eczema, deep hair conditioner.

Update: I started massaging coconut oil into my scalp a few months ago. I do it at least 2-3 times a week. Since I started doing this, my hair stylist has said that my hair seems to be a lot healthier and my hair is much thicker. It also seems to be growing faster. I buy my coconut oil from vitacost.com. It's really cheap there and you can get a huge tub of it.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products