July 31, 2014 | 2020 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 3 of 5 on 6/28/2012 10:25:00 AM More reviews by geumjassi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I have been using a cold-pressed 'organic' coconut oil (clear, smells very coconutty) for about 3 weeks as

- body moisturizer

- face moisturizer - as someone else mentioned here, what works for me is literally only a few drops, rubbed between palms to warm it up, then pressed and smoothed gently all over the face. I have an oily but dehydrated T-zone and this seems to work to produce somewhat less shine over time...

(Further notes in the neverending battle against excess sebum: At the same time that i switched to coconut oil as a moisturizer, I began to cleanse with soap / Biore perfect oil at night and cleansing with warm water in the morning only, also using lemon juice as a night-only toner every 3-4 days. So any / all of this may have helped as well.)

- eyelash conditioner - dabbed on the eyelashes / around eye area every night, my lashes look very (veryyy) slightly thicker now

I am just trying it out in my hair (as a treatment after shampooing and before conditioning - have read studies that the oil absorbs better on clean / clarified hair), although will probably wait til I can get a sulphate-free shampoo or brave the baking soda + apple cider vinegar method.. I have dry hair with an oily / sometimes flaky scalp (again, which lemon juice seems to have helped with), will update if the coconut oil seems to do anything more..

I live in a tropical country so the oil is liquid at room temperature and probably easier to work with than at colder temperatures.

Am giving a 3 rating because it is cheap (half the price of my old moisturizer for 4 times the volume), smells nice, and is easy to use (for me), also because there are no added chemicals in it (I hope!). Not giving a 5 because it hasn't really changed my skin / eyelashes / hair (yet!)

rated 4 of 5 on 6/26/2012 12:19:00 AM More reviews by annaleemerritt

I recently started washing my face and body with dr bronners (lavender) soap. My skin has never been so soft and clear, but thats another review.

I have combination skin, so i still felt the need for very slight moisturization after washing my face. After reading all the reviews on here, I decided to give organic extra virgin coconut oil a try. Bad idea. Horrible idea. Worst idea ever. I don't have very acne prone skin, but it is sensitive (hence my using Dr bronners and coconut oil instead of harsher, more commercial options) I was broken out completely in less than 48 hours.

I still gave this product a 4 because, as a prewash treatment, it seems to help my very damaged hair. Also, its great for cooking. For how little product is needed, the $10 jar I bought will probably last past its expiration date, so it is a good value.

Oh yeah, coconut oil is the best deodorant ever! Not an antipersperant, of course, but a tiny amount under each arm lasted me all day, with absolutely no odor! The coconut oil is worth it to me, just for that alone.

Overall, coconut oil is very versatile and useful for beauty and hygeine purposes, but I highly advise against using it anywhere near your face.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2012 6:57:00 AM More reviews by woahviviannn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After seeing so many videos on coconut oil as a great treatment for hair, I decided to purchase it myself and hope for the best. I bought mines on eBay for about $11.00 and it was a pretty huge container. I wanted to grow out my hair so I would apply this on every 2-3 a week. I don't do it every week because im lazy lol. But when I do use, I put the coconut oil all I've my hair. I'll massage my scalp and concentrate on my ends. I'll leave it on for more than 20 minutes or more if im feeling super lazy lol. Sometimes I would have it on my hair overnight and I wash it in the morning. The coconut oil has really moisturize my hair and helped it grow. I think I've been using this for about 4-6 months now. My hair is pretty long now, it's past my boobs.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2012 11:34:00 PM More reviews by Adi96

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Other, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Awesome deep conditioner and curly hair sealer for natural curly girls out there! Buy it, love it, grow healthy hair!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2012 10:33:00 PM More reviews by dainaleeo2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

[edit] Ok, so I wanted to come back to add onto the part about using this on my skin. I've been using it on my skin as a moisturizer for about 2 weeks, roughly, both morning & night. in the morning i use only a little bit & then use my usual Palmers face moisturizer afterwards. At night i apply it after a shower or after placing a hot towel over my face (the steam helps open pores, which helps allow the oil to really sink into your skin better), & then apply my night cream after a few hours (which is either the Ponds rejuviness cream or my Palmers night cream). Wow. my skin has never looked better. I've had such bad acne on my forehead since coming home from college, but this cleared it all up in a matter of days. It's also been clearing out anything on the rest of my face. Some of my old acne scars, i only have a few fyi, are healing as well. That may be from the combo of the coconut oil & the ponds cream, which has lactic acid in it ( a great acid for wrinkles, acne scars, etc). I haven't had a single bad reaction from it to date, & it's nearly 3 weeks. my mom has even been using it & loves it as well. For the record, my brand is Nutiva. :)

[original]
Like most that have reviewed this, I adore coconut oil, & use it in many of the ways that others have mentioned.
Hair: I use it as a pre-treatment & soak my hair in it, something I learned to do before when my hair was so badly damaged from my incessant bleaching. Now that my hair is short (cut off all the damage to start fresh!), I do have to wash it twice rather than once like before, but mostly because my hair is healthier & fine, so it'll get greasy easily if I don't.
Face: I just started using it on my face, just a tiny amount, in addition to my grapeseed oil. I need more moisturizing than what the grapeseed alone was doing. So I'll have to report back on this to make sure it's not going to break me out.
Diet: I put this in smoothies to help add nutrients to my diet, which in turn helps your skin & hair from the inside! Plus, as an added bonus, ingesting coconut oil as well as extra virgin olive oil (for the good saturated fats that both contain), it helps a lot in terms of cellulite! I have a little, just from poor diet during my college time, so I have realized this really does help aid in that conquest (& I know I'm not the only one here who probably needs a little help with that!)

Also, I read something on this forum for girls that grow their hair out really long (long hair forum I believe), that when you soak your hair in coconut oil before coloring or bleaching, it actually will minimize the damage & make the color better than if you didn't use it at all. It was really interesting! I have yet to try it, mostly since I'm sure my hair stylist wouldn't really understand & attempt to wash out the oil before coloring, but I may try giving myself some more highlights in the future by using this method. I just thought I would add that for anyone who wanted to look it up. :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2012 8:25:00 AM More reviews by Dive14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Green

Love this stuff - has so many uses. My personal faves:
1) for hair as a pre-wash treatment: I apply this generously to dry hair for as long a few hours before I wash my hair. I have recently started to take good care of my hair after years of treating it badly and after doing a lot of research, CO kept coming up time and time again as one of the best hair treatments. Now when I shampoo my hair I also make sure I only use sulfate-free products because thos e that do contain are way too drying and damaging to my already naturally dry hair. Because of my dry hair I only shampoo once to remove the coconut oil, however if you have normal/oily hair you should probably "rinse & repeat". The oil helps prevent my hair from becoming "squeaky clean" and it feels soo much softer when I wash it now! Before, after shampooing my hair always felt coarse, matted and rough but now it feels silky, smooth, moisturized and with no matting and tangles like before! There have been studies that find that CO was found to reduce protein loss for both undamaged and damaged hair when used as a pre-wash and post-wash grooming product and I believe this is what I am experiencing currently.
2) I also like to run this through the ends when my hair is dry, to help add and seal in moisture (and generally tame frizzies!). However if I do this I know I cannot use flat irons as it will literally fry the hair (oil + hot plates)! So I only do this for my "final touch".
3) Skin - this is an amazing body moisturizer and having paid around 100 for Sisley, La Mer and La Praire body moisturizers I can honestly say this is as good especially for the price. Plus I prefer the thought of applying 100% natural products into my skin, rather than paraben/cone loaded products.
4) As a dietry supplement, I add it to my green tea and it works like a digestive aid and I swear adds a glow to my skin! I try to nourish my skin from the inside as much as the outside and this really does make a difference.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2012 3:21:00 AM More reviews by gumby11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ok, so everyone knows the hype of Coconut Oil. It's pretty much magic in a jar. But if you've read these reviews and been a bit skeptical, trust me was too. "Slathering oil on your hair and body? Isn't that what makes it break out/become greasy?". Those were my thoughts until I saw a 500mL jar at my local Woolworths for <$5 a month or so ago. Which is a steal seeing as I once bought the same amount (although organic) for cooking purposes for $16!

What I use it for:
- My hair.
I've been bleaching and dyeing my hair ALOT this year and spending all that money on products left not a lot for treatments to repair it. Enter Coconut Oil. I leave it on overnight and use a sulfate-free shampoo in the morning. (Currently using an organic, earth-friendly brand from Woolworths ~$4)
- My skin.
This is oil, so expect it to be oily on your skin! If you don't like the feel, use a tiny amount. I don't really mind and just sit on a towel for an hour or so. I do this maybe twice weekly, as it's winter here.
- Extend fake tans.
I don't bronze-up often anymore, but when I do this is a great moisturiser to prevent your tan from becoming patchy. It may not work on everyone, it depends on the brand/type of tan you use.
- Nail care.
If your cuticles split or you get nice-n-scaley between your fingers, this is your cure. My nails were in horrible shape, but now they are looking healthy.

Seriously, give it a try. Scoop some out of the jar and store seperatley, so if you don't like it you haven't contaminated the jar and can still use it for cooking.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2012 1:22:00 AM More reviews by sweetsophiav

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil is my night time routine moisturizer (I don't use during the day unless I'm staying indoors because I need spf). This has my 37 year old skin soooo smooth and baby butt soft! lol

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2012 12:29:00 AM More reviews by Lola_B_10021

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Other

I've purchased Nature's Way and Living Foods brands at WF 16oz at $8-10

PROS:
Oil pulling - I've read amazing things about EVCO's ability to draw out bacteria esp. for oil pulling (mouth rinsing) and so far really like the results and the slight coconutty after-fragrance.
Body oil - incredibly penetrative post-shower body oil leaves my skin glowing and soft with no outbreak/irritation. I use it from neck to heel.
Exfoliant - Mix with sugar or meal for a great exfoliator that leaves skin soft.
Packaging - Is fine considering this solidifies at a certain temp.

CONS:
Hair - makes my hair feel dry and brittle and just sits
Scalp - makes my scalp itch and clogs my pores
Face - clogs my pores, makes my face feel dehydrated

Will buy again for the pros!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2012 9:03:00 PM More reviews by Metamorpha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I cannot say enough good things about coconut oil! You can usually purchase it at the grocery store. If you want virgin organic you may need to shop around or buy online, but more and more stores are carrying it in their organic section. I get a big jar that lasts forever for about $10. And it smells great! Or get refined for no scent and add your own essential oils. I use it for lotion (body and face) and on my hair. Also makes a great massage oil and makeup remover.

PROS:
-All natural and organic
-Smells amazing!
-Easy to find
-Hands down the best moisturizer I have ever used. Makes your skin like butter
-Also works well on hair
-Inexpensive
-Doesn't break out my acne prone skin, even gives it a little glow
-Best makeup remover ever!

CONS:
-Is a little on the oily side (cause it's an oil) but sinks into the skin within a half hour or so.

I like to use it at night after a shower. Then I toss on my bath robe or some PJs and relax a bit (maybe read MUA?) while I let the oil sink in.

I also use it as my night time moisturizer. I am on the acne.org regimen which can be extremely drying because it uses large amounts of Benzoid Peroxid. Coconut oil is the only thing I have found that completely gets rid of the dry skin from The Regimen. It may not work as well during the early phase when skin is first getting used to it, but has helped me immensely in maintaining The Regimen and when I up my dose of BP. It also has not broken me out, but rather improved my skin's appearance. The rule that acne prone skin must use oil free everything is flat out wrong. I use many all natural oils, including coconut, and have fantastic results because I know my acne isn't caused by oil. Using the right oils will help balance your skin out and improve it overall. Stripping it of oil will do the opposite. So I absolutely suggest acne sufferers try incorporating oils like coconut, olive, grapeseed, etc. (ok, rant over)

Another use is in the hair. You can coat the hair and let it sink in for a while then rinse out, or use a tiny bit as a leave in. I sometimes use a tad when my hair is feeling dry and frizzy.

And yet another use is to remove makeup. Takes it right off while also moisturizing. You really can't lose with this stuff, it's great!