Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

Cocos nucifera

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Also posted this on the EVCO "cleanser" entry where there's also some helpful reviews on EVCO: After a nightmarish experience with my usual eye cream that involved having to use a prescription steroid cream on my eyes for two weeks, I was desperate for a new, harmless yet effective eye cream. I had to use Vaseline for a few weeks after the Rx cream, and that was ok, but wanted something that absorbed better. I had some EVCO from a recipe I was making and thought "why not try this?" I have been using it every morning and evening for the last two years. I must say I cannot believe how fantastic it works for me. No irritation, no milia issues, cheap, absorbs nicely, works great under makeup, seems to condition lashes and brows, and best of all: has reduced my crow's feet very noticeably! What a find! I only use it as an eye cream and sometimes a lip balm, but I find it a bit too heavy for the rest of my face and body. Still, in a pinch, I'd use it anywhere...

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I absolutely adore this stuff. I've used it for absolutely everything and I mean *everything*. I have thick dry hair and scalp and an oily skin.

I've used this as a cuticle cream, hair conditioner/treatment/finishing polish, facial moisturizer, lip conditioner, scalp treatment, eyelash and eyebrow moisturizer (it makes them soft!), dry heel treatment, body moisturizer, mixed with sugar/salt to make a scrub.... the list is endless.
I even cook/bake with it and use it for oil pulling (although I don't recommend it for that - my gums are sensitive to it).

My favorite use is definitely as a body and hair moisturizer. I love how it's a solid at room temperature and melts on contact with my body heat. It doesn't overly moisturize either but leaves me with a nice healthy but not oily glow.
I was leery of using an oil on my oily skin but I think this is one of the only oils that works due to its astringent properties. It can actually *dry out* my skin - imagine that!
It doesn't clog my pores either which, to me, is effing amazing as I can slather on as much as I want.
I just wish it didn't take me as long to discover it!

***Edited to add: This is an excellent lash growth treatment. They were curlier, healthier, more moisturized. I don't even need to grow more lashes but this oil works for that! I used it to take off my eye makeup for a few weeks and noticed what I thought were tiny pimples or styes on my upper last line - turns out they were new eyelashes! I was amazed.

**Edit 2x: I can't use this on my face or body anymore (aside from my legs, feet and cuticles) as it breaks me out in cystic pimples! Also if you're prone to body breakouts, beware of using this on your hair as a leave in treatment and not using some kind of plastic shower cap - this easily breaks me out on my shoulders.
If my review helped you, click yes below!

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Coconut oil has seriously been HG for me as a hair conditioner. I am a practicing Sikh and therefore do not cut my hair, which means I need to find other ways to prevent and repair hair damage. Someone recommended I deep condition with coconut oil a few times a week, and it has made such a difference in my hair's strength, shine and overall appearance. I would highly recommend coconut oil conditioning to anyone with long, dry hair like I do.

I have been using coconut oil as moisturizer on my face for a little over a month now. At first, it was great and my skin felt incredibly healthy. I've been trying to eliminate chemicals from my face products so CO was right in line with that! I also use honey as a cleanser (love). Unfortunately, about two weeks in, my face starting breaking out with cystic acne (and I picked at it and made a mess of my face...). I recently connected the dots that it has to be the CO. It also makes my skin flaky, even though it doesn't feel dry, when I put makeup on. I've read over and over that the CO will make your skin purge the toxins and that's what the problem is (acne and flakiness...). Has anybody else dealt with this? Did you stick it out? Without makeup causing flakiness and aside from the pimples, my skin is looking really great and it feels really great! Therefore, I am going to stick it out for another week or so before giving up entirely.

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other

I became a CO fan about 2 months ago and I havent turned back. I recommend the unrefined virgin CO. My personal favorite is from Trader Joe's for 5.99. It has become a beauty staple for me and I believe it's God's best creation next to human breastmilk. It's good for you and it smells AMAZING. Google all the things you can do with it. Here are the things I do with it:

Preshampoo-drench my hair from scalp to root. Without heat, leave it in for about an hour then shampoo as normal. With heat, I leave it in for 15-30minutes then shampoo. CO penetrates the hair shaft and actually nourishes your hair to make it stronger, softer, and shinier. Many masques just cover damaged hair but CO actually heals it.

Tame fly-aways- rub a pea-sized amount in palms and then work it through dry hair before or after styling for lightweight moisture and shine.

Added to my deep conditioner

All over body moisterizer right out of the shower.

My dog loves it (to eat and on her skin) -good for her coat, digestion, energy.

Diaper rash prevention

Great moisturizer for my son's dry curly hair.

Cuticle oil

Lip Moisturizer

TBLSP In my coffee-google the internal benefits.

Cooking oil

Eyemakeup remover and eye cream

Use liberally on burns (you will be AMAZED by this), cuts, scrapes, and bruises.

And again, the smell is enough to keep me buying over and over again:-)

Skin: Other, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Coconut oil is worth the buy. It can be used for anything, my mom puts a little in her coffee every morning and she loves it! She cant drink her coffee without it! My sister has used it as a face wash, (leaves oily for a few minutes then just leaves face soft) I use it in my egg protein treatments just put an egg and equal coconut oul and it does wonders! You can use it as a deep condition. And it moisturies your hair great! Coconut oil is good for locking in moisture as well. It hekps repair ends because it is a protein!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I discovered coconut oil about 2 years ago after reading about the benefits of using the oil for hair growth and hair health from www.naturallycurly.com. It's been a beauty & cooking staple ever since! I LOVE using this oil twice a week to moisturize my hair. The best coconut oil should be packaged in a glass container to keep any toxins from plastic/resin from being absorbed. Using a teaspoon, I will transfer some coconut oil to a smaller jar that I keep in my bathroom (for hygiene reasons). I usually only use coconut oil on my scalp and hair. I'll warm about a quarter-sized amount (typically it's a solid unless you live in the tropics) in the palm of my hands and then massage the oil into my scalp and whatever is left, coat the length of my hair. I'll then gather my hair up in a clip and leave it to soak into my hair for about two hours before shampooing back out. I have dry, curly hair and I've found that this is such a great deep conditioner that really help de-frizz my hair and it smells SO GOOD! It can be a little pricey depending on where you purchase the oil. You can get a really good deal by purchasing from wholesale retailers such as Costco. I found a 72 oz jar of Nutiva Organic coconut oil for $21 which is such a great deal especially since I was going through a 14 oz jar each month. Buying in bulk is the way to go!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I first bought coconut oil (unrefined!!! and organic) for my byracial daughter's hair after I co wash it. But I have found many uses and my favorite and most succesful is I take my makeup off with it (I wear 2 primers, revlon colorstay (lately the whipped), concealer, under eye brightner, benefit lemonade on top lids pressed powder, hd powder, bronzer, blush and highlighter (wow u dont realise how much junk u put on ure face til u spell it out) so I slather it on twice messaging it into my skin then I actually wash my face, and I no longer get the yeast rashes on my chin anymore...which were impossible to get rid completely before. ALSO I take my eye makeup off with it and and it has made my eyelashes even longer. I have pretty good lashes anyway but one day I was like where are the lashes on the corners comming from, there so long. Gradually its improving all my lashes..and I used to vaseline but this works so much better!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I've been using coconut oil for all kinds of stuff... love it!

I use it as a general moisturizer all over. A little goes a long way. The first time I used it, I put way too much and felt so greasy. So start small, and add more if necessary. I love how it makes my legs look... just a slight sheen. It's also great for nails/cuticles. I rub a dab into my dry hair to tame the frizzies. I have used it a few times on my face when it felt really tight & dry (due to harsh cleansers). I have oily skin with a tendency to break out. I never got a single pimple while using it, although it did leave a little sheen on my skin. However, I would just use it at night before going to bed... so no big deal.

I've been using the Trader Joe's brand. It comes in a pretty big jar... so I leave it in the kitchen pantry and just transfer some to a smaller jar for use on my skin, etc.

Cooking with it is also great! I make popcorn on the stovetop with it, and I love to stirfry veggies in it. Try it drizzled over vanilla or chocolate ice cream. So good!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I've waited over a month to review this and so far so good.

I buy mine in the cooking section at Target. It's about seven bucks. It's extra virgin organic but refined, and all that means is it doesn't have the coconut scent.

I initially bought this to use as a makeup remover. I got tired of spending so much money on makeup remover wipes every three weeks. I braced myself expecting the sting, which I'd always assumed was the makeup itself running into my eyes as it broke down. Evidently not. No more tears, so already I fell in love with this stuff.

I'm in Minnesota, and as soon as the weather starts its erratic turn in the fall my skin gets dry and flaky from the indoor heat and the sometimes brutal wind outside. Usually I just put up with it because moisturizers make me break out. But I had this giant jar of coconut oil and decided to give it a go as a moisturizer.

I admit I was initially terrified. Everything breaks me out, and smearing this stuff on your face gives you such a shiny sheen you look like you took a stick of butter to yourself. Ugh. Even using a little eensy bit made me shine, but the next day my face was already improved when I applied my makeup - not flaking at the mildest touch - so I stuck with it. Now it's not flaking at all.

Usually if something's going to break me out it happens within a couple of days. I've been using this nightly for over a month with no breakouts at all. I don't need primer anymore, I don't wake up with puffy eyes. Not only that, it healed the two zits I did have when I started using it, and I haven't had a pimple since.

Friends who haven't seen me in awhile tell me I have a glow. I tell them the only thing I'm doing differently is the coconut oil, so now they're all trying it too.

I've been using it as a body lotion now too, and little red bumps I'd had on my upper arms forever and a day disappeared altogether. The skin on my face and body is smooth as silk.

I tried it in my hair but my hair is very fine and it was way too heavy for me. But I also use shampoo with no sulfates, so maybe it wasn't strong enough to break down the oils when I washed it. I went to work and it looked pretty ick and dirty. I wouldn't suggest experimenting with it in your hair on a school or work night.

I think this product is amazing. I'll update the review if I experience any adverse effects, but I'm loving it and contrary to those warning people prone to breakouts against using it, I'm here to say I have very sensitive skin and I use this on my face every single night and never break out.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products