Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 11/6/2012 9:21:00 AM

I LOVE coconut oil. I use it for cooking, but also for making DIY products. I have been using it in my toothpaste recipe for 2 years now and my teeth are strong. I've also been using it in my deodorant and it works very well. I use it on my body when I get out of the shower and my skin is like silk.

However I do offer a word of caution for those who easily breakout or have congested skin...it can clog your pores. It causes breakouts if I use it on my face, or even to do the oil cleansing method. So if you are like me, you might want to just keep that in mind.

on 11/1/2012 6:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

after hearing so many amazing reviews for coconut oil, i decided to give it a go and i've been trying to convert my skincare routine into organic and natural. i use coconut oil on my face as a cleanser in the shower and then on damp hair afterwards as a leave-in treatment. both work fantastically! i also use coconut oil as a shaving cream and it leaves my skin so soft i don't need moisturiser afterwards! love love love this :)

on 10/28/2012 11:33:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

LOVE LOVE LOVE! I have only used this on my hair for right now, and it has made such a huge improvement! I've tried to deal with my coarse and brittle dry hair my whole life, and have got used to the crunchyness on my ends. Thanks to MUA I read all the great things about CO so I had to go buy some for myself. I use it on dry hair and thoroughly coat it from roots to ends and massage into the scalp. I usually leave it overnight but I also just for a few hours. I only need to shampoo once because I need that moisture, then I follow with a bit of conditioner on the ends. It makes it easier to blowdry straight and flat iron. The end result is my shiny and smooth hair! I always know that if I use this treatment the day before I need my hair to look awesome, I KNOW I'm gonna have a good hair day! Buy it! You won't regret it.

on 10/28/2012 10:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

It's funny how coconut oil reviews can get me excited about an oil I've been using for about a year and a half now. Nonetheless, I started using it for just my skin, and man was that amazing. I wish I was one of those people who can apply this to their bare skin and not break out everywhere, but unfortunately I am not. BUT I use this as a pre-cleanse instead and it is great, still works, and does not break me out.

I first remove all my makeup with a makeup wipe(I only do this at night). Then I apply a generous amount to my face, because I'll be washing it off in a bit. Then, once I've thoroughly rubbed it in, I wash my face with hot water and still kind of rub it in, kind of like a steam treatment. Once I do this for a little bit(2 minutes or so), I wash my face with a gentle cleanser. I use Cerave Foaming Facial Cleanser, which is very mild. I don't recommend using an anti-acne cleanser for this, as it will likely negate the coconut oil. I always found anti-acne cleansers to worsen my skin anyway. Once I do that, my skin feels very moisturized, and in the winter, I'll still apply moisturizer after that. Then, when I wake up in the morning, my skin feels as good as new. I used to do this every few days or so, now I just do it once every one-two weeks as a refresher. I don't break out so much anymore, though I don't know if it's because I stopped abusing my skin with a million products or I'm just growing out of it. But when I first started using it, all of the acne scars I thought would *never* go away were all gone within the month. I used a bunch of those skin refining scar-removing treatment products and they barely made any difference. Also, when it's that time of the month and I start to see cystic pimples popping up(that's the only kind I get), a pre-cleanse of coconut oil will stop them right in their tracks. Not to mention coconut oil is much cheaper.

I highly recommend this oil to anyone with sensitive skin and thus have trouble using a lot of skincare products. For those who are afraid of breakouts or have combination/oily skin, try using it as a pre-cleanser first. Afterwards, if you think you can, you can try applying it to your bare skin. I don't think it's a good idea to judge it by trying it first on dry skin, since I know personally that will give me a ton of whiteheads and make my skin really oily(all day). On a side note, this does not make my skin more oily throughout the day when I use it as a pre-cleanse. On the contrary, my skin is much less oily for the following days afterward. Using it every day is a bit much though.

I haven't given using it on my hair and the rest of my skin yet, though I will after reading all of these reviews again. Oh yeah, and I have tried eating some, and it tastes better than butter on some things. I use it to cook sometimes, though, and I know this is probably in my head, sometimes it feels like it's making me gain weight. I want to use it more though after reading these reviews, since I'm probably not following a suitable diet for coconut oil to help. Admittedly I tend to eat high carb high sugar food, which I can only blame myself for. So don't listen to me, other than if you're following a low carb diet, coconut oil will help immensely since it is very filling and has good saturated fat. It's like avocado, for example. And by low carb diet I don't mean Atkins or whatever, more like less wheat and gluten products. I'm a bread fiend, so it's tough. You can downvote me for that last comment if you want, I just thought I'd put it out there. Anyway this is an amazing oil with an immense amount of uses, and I can almost guarantee that you will find a use for it in some way :)

I'm also now very interested in oil pulling....I'll give an update when I've given using it on my hair and including in my diet a try.

on 10/28/2012 12:44:00 AM

One of the worst pieces of advice I ever received was, only condition your hair from the ears down. Thanks to MUA, I've been using coconut oil to treat my hair AND scalp for a few weeks now. I feel like I have new hair!! My hair is generally pretty healthy, but I feel like I've been fighting with it for a few years now and always looking for products to make my hair more manageable. I had even considered springing for an expensive salon treatment. My $10 jar of coconut oil saved my hair and my budget. I warm a small amount of coconut oil, sometimes I mix it with up to 50% castor oil, apply it directly to my scalp, work it through the ends, cover it with a shower cap and towel for a few hours or overnight. It does need to be washed out. My hair feels thicker, fuller, so soft and manageable! My favorite new thing is my hairline. It actually looks and feels nice now. All those baby hairs behaving themselves. This is the first time I've worn my hair pulled back to expose my hairline in years. I love it!

on 10/27/2012 7:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I buy cold-pressed, 100% natural coconut oil from the cooking oils section in the grocery store rather than the coconut oil from the hair section. The stuff from the cooking section is much purer. The stuff from the hair section tends to have fillers and silicones and other nasty stuff. So: go for the cooking coconut oil.

I duped my mother into trying this before I went anywhere near it. She mixes one tablespoon to one cup of boiling water. Mix well, let cool, and apply after shampooing. She is actually balding but the coconut oil seems to have made her hair thicker after six months of use.

I use it equal with an equal amount of raw honey. Melt and mix with one cup of lukewarm water. Mix thoroughly and apply to damp hair. Let sit fr as long as possible, preferably overnight. Then shampoo out. I've only used it twice but the results are actually stunning. My hair is very, very soft and shiny now. Like THE BEST conditioner ever, but it doesn't built up or anything! Just make sure to always use this before your shampoo rather than after, because the oil is hyrophobic - water resistant. If you don't shampoo it out and let the sulfates in the shampoo break the oil up, your hair WILL be oily. I tried getting it out with baking soda but that doesn't seem to work.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I love coconut oil. I use it to cook with and on my hair and skin. I have very dry, sensitive skin. I have very dry, coarse and curly hair. I use coconut oil at night on my face. I wake up with a nice glow. I mix some in with my lotion to make a body butter. I mix a little in with my hair conditioner to use as a leave in or a deep treatment. My hair and skin drink this up and love it. I take a spoon and put in a separate conditioner. I don't use my fingers to dig it out as that can cause the oil to spoil faster. I use a plastic spoon to get the oil out of the container.
I do recommend buying the non-cosmetic grade type. I prefer the organic, extra virgin type that is cold pressed (processed as little as possible without heat). It tends to be more expensive but works and smells way better. Trader Joe's has been carrying one for about $5 a jar. I can also find it at Whole Foods and most health foods stores.

on 10/21/2012 11:19:00 PM

Coconut oil is fantastic for hair and skin. I don't buy the most expensive but I do make sure its virgin (only pressed once) and pure. The great thing about coconut oil is that it actually penetrates the hair shaft as opposed to just sitting on top of the strand. Because it does penetrate, it conditions, restores etc. I could never get my hair to grow because of breakage from dying it and straightening it every day but now I use the oil and i tie my hair in a loose ponytail at bedtime..... and my hair is healthier, stronger and finally growing. The only drawback is that my dye washes out easier because of the oils but thats a small consequence to the major benefits from using the oil. I also use it around my eyes and it doesnt make them puffy like heavy creams. :)

on 10/17/2012 2:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've been waiting 3 weeks to write a review since using this, though I wanted to write one after the first few days but I wanted to give a very thorough review of my experience with this awesome oil.
Well, first of all I find that I cannot use this on my face, but that's okay because everywhere else it is absolutely awesome for me. I did try it as a makeup remover which worked great, but it still gave me a lot of blackheads the next morning..so it's not for my face and I understand a lot of people cant use it on their face either.
I put it in my hair once a week and leave on for as long as I want, and then wash it out. I don't even have to condition my hair anymore because it's so soft and manageable and looks so much healthier. It also makes my scalp feel really great, but I have to put shampoo in my hair 2-3 times to get it all out.
It makes an awesome shave lotion and I don't get razor burn anywhere that I put it, and after the shower it's a great moisturizer and my skin has a better look to it.
It is an awesome lip balm too, it makes my lips feel so nice and silky and it's very hydrating, better than any of my regular lip balms I have.
Some really good things I've noticed since using it is, that I used to have these tiny bumps on my upper arms and I don't have those anymore. I have a few red blotchy places on my calves and those are a lot less noticeable as well. My hands and cuticles look a lot better too. I have even consumed small amounts of it, like a teaspoon or so, and I feel healthier..I don't know if it has anything to do with it but it might. I really think it does help your hair grow, because since using it as a lotion I have to shave a lot more often.

on 10/10/2012 5:19:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

6 months ago I was giving up on my dry brittle hair. then I remembered my mum spreading coconut + olive oil on my hair when I was a child. I began to do that again and my hair looks amazing.
Apply a spoon of coconut and a spoon of olive a little warm starting on the ends and going up and then massage your scalp, and then put a plastic bag over your head for 30 mins. Rinse w shamppo and a bit of conditioner and dry. You will notice changes after the 2-3 time you do this treatment.
You do have to be constant with this type of treatment or it won't work, you have to do this once a week, but is so worth it it will became your routine.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products