September 15, 2014 | 956 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2012 2:26:00 PM More reviews by JenPhil1313

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I also had to give coconut oil a try after reading so many raves about it. And it has proven to be one of those "do it all" plant oils (i.e. like olive oil) that is a great mult-tasker, shows visible results, is completely non-irritating and costs practically nothing compared to fancy, name-brand moisturizers. This is the first all-natural plant oil that I can actually use in my hair as a styling product that adds shine, smoothness... and ultimately improves its' condition. In the morning, I take a tiny little amount and rub it between my palms and lightly smooth over my hair. Ocassionally I'll mix a little with L'oreal out of bed texturizer. Either way, it makes my hair look more under control and NOT greasy. I also use this on my face at night {after my treatment product- like Retin A- but before my final moisturizer (CeraVe)} I get even better results if I mix a little oil olive with it before I apply. My skin feels even softer and looks even smoother. As a body moisturizer- if I am feeling a bit drier than usual- I sometimes mix this with my CeraVe lotion to make it creamier and more intense. I bought a 15oz jar at the Vitamin Shoppe for $9.99 and I decanted about 3.5oz into an empty, wide-mouthed, 4oz jar. I think it is probably best to decant a smaller amount, otherwise you are constantly sticking your hands in the big jar. Such a small amount is needed for application that the 3.5oz I decanted will probably last forever! I don't care for the smell, but it disappates quickly.

Also, (and I apologize if this TMI), this makes a great initimate lubricant. You can have fun with this in the boudoir- it works great, is completely not irritating, is edible and tastes good, and smells faintly coconuty. Cheers!

*UPDATE: The scent has really grown on me and I like it now. On these warm summer nights, I find myself using the pure coconut oil alone after a bath or shower.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2012 1:30:00 PM More reviews by Euphoria93

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had read about this oil in forums, blogs, seen it on youtube, read about it in magazines as a beauty item... but I never purchased it. Until now!

I ordered this from iherb when it was on sale. It was organic, cold pressed and expeller pressed, and it was clearly one of the best options. It arrived in the mail, and I immediately went to my bathroom with the supposedly golden (er... white) stuff and slathered it into my hair. Okay, it smelled good - check, but did it work? Heck yeah! When I washed it out my hair felt softer than ever before. I also brought it with me to Italy, and it helped keeping my hair soft from the harsh pool water, and also kept my skin smooth and supple after sunbathing (Kind of like an after sun lotion). I also ate 1 spoon of it before breakfast for a couple of days since it was supposed to be super healthy, and even if 1 TS contains about 130 calories and can be fattening, I swear I felt fuller than ever before that day, so the feeling you get after a spoon makes up for the huge amount of calories. I almost didn't eat a thing during those days, only breakfast and dinner - which is great if you diet and want to look great in a bikini (like me), but if you're skinny and struggle to maintain weight, then this can leave you feeling nauseated. I don't understand how Miranda Kerr manages to stuff down 4 ts of this each day, I would have puked no matter how I got it into my system. But she has beautiful skin and a rocking body, so I guess it works for her =)

Will buy it again for hair, skin and body. I can definitely say that this has replaced all my oils, even jojoba and almond nut oil, which used to be HG stuff before I was introduced to this.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2012 11:08:00 AM More reviews by jstastny

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After reading so many positive reviews here on Coconut Oil and its many uses, I bought a jar in March for about $10 and started to use only as a nighttime face wash (to remove makeup, including eyes). I quickly moved on to use it as an under eye moisturizer (at night) and then also as my morning face wash. Four months in, I couldn't be happier with the results.

My skin is by far more balanced than it ever was, and I say this as someone who has spent a good deal of time and money over the years searching for the best products for my skin. I have very sensitive, combination skin, with my nose being a bit more oily at times. It was common for me to have a few pores on my nose that always seemed open/bigger than the rest. I don't know how or why the Coconut Oil works, but without question my pores have shrunk and my skin is much more balanced. I always use a washcloth to remove/rinse from my face. I think some people go without but for me, I know that my face wouldn't feel clean if I didn't use the cloth.

Beyond the great results, I love love love the low cost and how far one $10 jar will go. I don't think I have ever had a superior skin care product (that cost only $10) last for 4+ months, especially when used twice a day.

While I do use it in the evening as an eye moisturizer (and very much like the results, no milia, skin is soft, etc.), I do find that it's a bit too greasy when worn with mascara. Maybe it's my application as I see others mentioning their use of it with make up.

I have not used it as a full on moizturizer, though in the colder, drier months I used a few dabs to enhance my Jurlique oil where my skin was a bit dry.

I also used it as a deep hair conditioner (twice alone and once with olive oil). I don't have anything positive or negative to say about that experience other than the recommendation that it be used as a pre-shampoo treatment rather than post-shampoo. Others may disagree but my experience was that it can be greasy as just a post-shampoo deep conditioner. It did leave my hair soft, but I was actually trying to remedy some issues with the ends of my hair that it turns out were perpetually caused by the type of cut I was receiving. I don't think any product could have resolved that issue in and of itself. I will try the conditioning treatment again now that my hair is back in line and will post back on results.

My only "negative" comment is that as you get down to the last 1/3 of the jar, it is very difficult to reach the product. Not sure this is even a negative since it's not designed for this type of use and the easy solution is to just use a spoon or other utensil.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2012 9:41:00 PM More reviews by GrandPriestess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Organic Fiji Certified Organic Virgin Coconut Oil -- 12 fl oz

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to give this product some love. It so wonderful, and i use it for so many things.
1. 1/2 coconut oil and 1/2 witch hazel for my eye makeup remover
2. Once a week I coat my hair as a deep conditioner prior to a shower for about 10 minutes.
3. In shower, after shaving my legs as a "after shave lotion"
or
4. As a all over body oil to hydrate my skin in a very natural form.

Out of the coconut oil's I have tried so far (about 5), this is the one I am going to be repurchasing from now on. Its such great quality and last forever even though I use it so much.
It's cold pressed, which is very important to the integrity of the product and USDA Certified Organic.

I highly recommend giving it a try!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2012 12:31:00 PM More reviews by ECLion

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Coconut oil, for me, was a mixed bag. I have acne-prone dry skin, and this worked fantastically as a winter moisturizer. Just a little bit was enough to make my skin silky-smooth. As a sunburn relief, it is unparalleled. Cooling, soothing, and anti-inflammatory. It's not without problems, though. The container it came in (I bought a jar of organic here in Germany) wasn't of the highest quality. When the product melts (which it often does in the summer) it leaks and gets coconut oil on EVERYTHING. The outside of the jar/label got saturated and slimy. My gym bag got saturated. Just no good. It is also far too rich for anywhere else on my body. With the exception of my winter-weather chapped face, and a severe sunburn, nowhere seems to absorb it well. For the price and inconvenience, I will look somewhere else.

Short Version: great winter face moisture for this acne-prone girl. Fantastic sunburn relief too. Super annoying packaging and limited utility mean I probably won't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2012 12:19:00 PM More reviews by ladyjessica

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff. I could kick myself for not trying it sooner. My bathroom counter used to be filled with things and now it is pretty much empty! I use it for pretty much everything. I use it to wash my face (with or w/o makeup on), a night time and daytime moisturizer. Yes ladies you can wear this under your makeup! If you use to much it takes longer to absorb, so don't treat this like your other moisturizers. I alittle and I mean a little with work and absorbs quickly into your skin.
I also use this on my hair and let me tell you OMG, it feels beyond amazing. I have thick hair and it doesn't take much to make it feel weighed down but not this. I put it on and rubbed into my scalp, put a shower cap on and left it for a little over an hour. When I took the cap off my hair feeled light as air. I couldn't believe it. I had no trouble washing it out and after my hair dried, it was pure silk and still felt light!

I really can't say enough about this stuff and I can't stress enough that Less is more when you are using it!

For those of you having a hard time finding it, I found it at Wal-mart with the rest of the Vitamins for $10.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2012 11:45:00 AM More reviews by happi23

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this for everything. I use coconut oil for my skin and hair. I even use this on my baby. It soaks in and keeps our skin and hair moisturized anytime of the year.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/28/2012 10:25:00 AM More reviews by geumjassi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I have been using a cold-pressed 'organic' coconut oil (clear, smells very coconutty) for about 3 weeks as

- body moisturizer

- face moisturizer - as someone else mentioned here, what works for me is literally only a few drops, rubbed between palms to warm it up, then pressed and smoothed gently all over the face. I have an oily but dehydrated T-zone and this seems to work to produce somewhat less shine over time...

(Further notes in the neverending battle against excess sebum: At the same time that i switched to coconut oil as a moisturizer, I began to cleanse with soap / Biore perfect oil at night and cleansing with warm water in the morning only, also using lemon juice as a night-only toner every 3-4 days. So any / all of this may have helped as well.)

- eyelash conditioner - dabbed on the eyelashes / around eye area every night, my lashes look very (veryyy) slightly thicker now

I am just trying it out in my hair (as a treatment after shampooing and before conditioning - have read studies that the oil absorbs better on clean / clarified hair), although will probably wait til I can get a sulphate-free shampoo or brave the baking soda + apple cider vinegar method.. I have dry hair with an oily / sometimes flaky scalp (again, which lemon juice seems to have helped with), will update if the coconut oil seems to do anything more..

I live in a tropical country so the oil is liquid at room temperature and probably easier to work with than at colder temperatures.

Am giving a 3 rating because it is cheap (half the price of my old moisturizer for 4 times the volume), smells nice, and is easy to use (for me), also because there are no added chemicals in it (I hope!). Not giving a 5 because it hasn't really changed my skin / eyelashes / hair (yet!)

rated 4 of 5 on 6/26/2012 12:19:00 AM More reviews by annaleemerritt

I recently started washing my face and body with dr bronners (lavender) soap. My skin has never been so soft and clear, but thats another review.

I have combination skin, so i still felt the need for very slight moisturization after washing my face. After reading all the reviews on here, I decided to give organic extra virgin coconut oil a try. Bad idea. Horrible idea. Worst idea ever. I don't have very acne prone skin, but it is sensitive (hence my using Dr bronners and coconut oil instead of harsher, more commercial options) I was broken out completely in less than 48 hours.

I still gave this product a 4 because, as a prewash treatment, it seems to help my very damaged hair. Also, its great for cooking. For how little product is needed, the $10 jar I bought will probably last past its expiration date, so it is a good value.

Oh yeah, coconut oil is the best deodorant ever! Not an antipersperant, of course, but a tiny amount under each arm lasted me all day, with absolutely no odor! The coconut oil is worth it to me, just for that alone.

Overall, coconut oil is very versatile and useful for beauty and hygeine purposes, but I highly advise against using it anywhere near your face.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2012 6:57:00 AM More reviews by woahviviannn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After seeing so many videos on coconut oil as a great treatment for hair, I decided to purchase it myself and hope for the best. I bought mines on eBay for about $11.00 and it was a pretty huge container. I wanted to grow out my hair so I would apply this on every 2-3 a week. I don't do it every week because im lazy lol. But when I do use, I put the coconut oil all I've my hair. I'll massage my scalp and concentrate on my ends. I'll leave it on for more than 20 minutes or more if im feeling super lazy lol. Sometimes I would have it on my hair overnight and I wash it in the morning. The coconut oil has really moisturize my hair and helped it grow. I think I've been using this for about 4-6 months now. My hair is pretty long now, it's past my boobs.