December 22, 2014 | 1784 users online

Cleansers - Aveeno - Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2008 12:56:00 PM More reviews by snootybooty

I bought this cleanser after perusing Dr. Baumann's book. I have moderately oily, sensitive, acne-prone skin and used Eucerin's Gentle Hydrating Cleanser for a while but wanted to give this one a try because it is free of sulfates. Even though I have oily skin most cleansers leave my face feeling tight and dry. This cleanser leaves my face feeling clean and soft, never tight, dry, or irritated. I love how it is fluffy, foamy and easy to distribute. I always pre-cleanse and remove makeup with Cetaphil and a fragrance- and alcohol-free baby wipe so I cannot testify as to how well this cleanser removes makeup. So far, it does not seem to be causing or contributing to breakouts. It would be nice if there was also a smaller size for travel but that is no big deal. Overall I am very satisfied and plan to continue using this cleanser and possibly trying some of the other Ultra Calming products from the line.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2008 7:53:00 PM More reviews by nnmca

After using this cleanser for about four months, I can honestly say it is my favorite drugstore cleanser for my sensitive, oily, acne-prone skin (others that I have tried and found comparable include Cetaphil normal/oily, Olay foaming sensitive, and Eucerin gentle hydrating). I like the fact that it has a self-foaming pump, which allows me to better control the amount I use, but kind of sucks for travel. I also appreciate that it is unscented, although it does have that typical "playdough" aroma, which I don't find particularly bothersome. It does the best job of removing makeup without stripping of any cleanser I've tried. I'm not sure I've noticed any "calming" effects, but it has not caused or contributed to any irritation or breakouts. Please keep in mind that I have VERY oily skin - I feel that this cleanser would probably be too drying long-term for those with combo or dry skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/28/2008 2:12:00 PM More reviews by lindscap

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a decent product. Very gentle, definitely reduces redness. I did have occasional dryness, but overall not bad. I like the foaming action, but the pump did stop working properly after a while. The price is affordable, especially compared to the Origins products I typically buy (Checks and Balances foaming face wash). I've bought this product three times now and will continue (unless I have the extra money to splurge on Origins :).

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2008 9:27:00 PM More reviews by pinkysweetsxoxo

I love this stuff! It feels so cool when you rub it on your face!It made my face feel cool and fresh. All ym teeny pimple shrunk and if i just brushed them with ym figer then fell off! magical! Buy this stuff you guys! IT RULES!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2008 12:18:00 AM More reviews by rxpatient

I love this facial cleanser. I always like to try something new but continually go back to 'old faithful'. I find that not only is it gentle on my sensitive skin, it cleans very well and leaves my face feeling fresh and moisturized. My only issue is the price since here (in Canada) it is almost twice as much as it is in the states, so I always wait until I go there to stock up. Very good, I recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/17/2008 11:31:00 PM More reviews by SacredMoon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I used this as my regular cleanser for many months.
I liked that it removed make-up very easily, and completely. It also did not irritate my skin with any of the ingredients.
However, after months of use I realized how dry my skin was every time I used it. Yes, it was clean. But also very very dry, and tight.

I think this may work better for someone with oily skin, but for my dry skin this is no HG.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2008 11:09:00 AM More reviews by scarletwine

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm a big fan of this product. After I developed a sudden and strange allergy/irritation from my trusty Cetaphil cleanser, I was frantic to find something that was equally as gentile. I was skeptical because of the bottle, which is a little gimmicky, but I actually really like the foaming pump. I don't think it does anything to improve the cleanser, per se, but it turns a very thin liquid into a nice foam that's easy to apply. And I'm really pleased with how it works-- it's a little more effective cleansing-wise than the cetaphil, and only a tiny bit more drying, nothing that light moisturizer can't help. It works well in conjunction with the AHA, BHA, and Benzoyl Peroxide products that I use; it doesn't seem to clog pores or interfere with them at all. I don't know if it "soothes" more or less than any other product, but I was attracted to it for its lack of "extra" ingredients-- nothing that rips out acne, gives you a so-called "radiant glow" or claims to stop time. And it worked well for me-- two months of use and no irritation, no more or less breakouts, and its good for my crazy acne-prone, eczema-ridden, combination skin.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2008 1:51:00 AM More reviews by MaryFran

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I wanted a super gentle cleanser and got it in this product. My derm was happy I was using this when she broke the news to me that I have rosacea. Never over dries or irritates. Even during super dry desert winters.

I have two issues. One is the packaging. Great for sitting on the cabinet shelf but STINKS for travel. I hated traveling with this container. The other issue is totally on me. I'm trying to cut back on the chemicals in my cleansers, and I'd like to find a more "natural" cleanser. I'll be repurchasing this gem until I find a comparably gentle natural cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2008 4:48:00 AM More reviews by danger_kitty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use this cleanser on my face every day. It makes my face clean and soft. I love that it is a foam. I've used other cleansers like Dove and Neutrogena but they've all left my face feeling tight.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/13/2008 3:55:00 PM More reviews by ksbkd00

I wanted to like this cleanser. But my skin did not like it. My HG cleanser (Makeup Removing Cleanser from Clean&Clear) was discontinued. So I was looking for a sulfate-free gentle cleanser and picked up this one. I don't know why it is called "ultra-calming" and "non-irritating". It made my sensitive, combination skin worse. It dried out the dry patches and broke me out in oily zones. I will use it to clean my makeup brushes.