August 1, 2014 | 2023 users online

Cleansers - Noxzema - Original Skin Cream

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 10/22/2009 5:21:00 AM More reviews by wlyeong

I used this in my teens when nothing seemed to work and the acne on my face seemed to be all that mattered. Sadly it didn't work miracles then. 20 years later and feeling nostalgic for that unique mentholly smell I scored not 1, not 2, not 3 but FOUR jars of these things. At first I was really taken in by the dirt-cheapness of it all, having been through the YSLs, Clarins and whatnot of adult life. But after the 2nd jar I realised it did squat for my makeup, and indeed been going to bed with a less-than-clean face. It was only swiping a cotton wipe and looking at the remnants of my foundation did I realise it was only good for mornings straight of out bed cleaning, and not effective as a makeup remover, which it claims to be...Still, it will not go to waste. It still wakes me up due to the scent. Still, time to say bye bye once and for all after I finish the last jar. Adios.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2009 10:48:00 AM More reviews by Honeyrider1977

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I'm in my early 30's and I've been using this product since my early teen years. What I like about Noxzema is that it's not "stripping" to the skin. Other facial cleansers I've tried have left my face feeling dry and tight after use. Noxzema does not have this effect; it's very gentle formula leaves my skin feeling soft, fresh and clean. I had moderate acne throughout my teen years/early 20's and this product did not aggravate my acne. I suppose there are organic products on the market that are better for your skin, but unless I stumble across something new I'll continue using this until they quit making it. I highly recommend this for those who have very sensitive skin, but would not recommend for those who require a "lathering" effect from their face wash, in which case you'll be very disappointed. This isn't a fancy miracle product by any means; just a very gentle product that is soothing to the skin. FYI, it's great for sun burns!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/7/2009 1:06:00 AM More reviews by vivcheung

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I thought I'd try this product out because it's an inexpensive drugstore HG for a lot of people. I was excited at first by the feel and consistency of the product on my fingers as I scooped it out of the jar. It felt light, non-greasy, aqueous and smooth. Unfortunately, the good stuff stops there. On application to my face, it immediately tingled and burned my skin as if I was using an arthritis or sports rub! I persevered and continued to gently rub the product around to cleanse and remove my makeup...which sadly it did not. I still had to follow with my Vichy foaming cleanser afterwards. On closer inspection of the product label, one of the main ingredients is menthol...WHY??? Makes no sense to me why a facial cleanser would have this unless you suffered from an itchy skin rash that needs cooling off.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2009 12:29:00 AM More reviews by makeupjunkie35

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Oh, I had forgotten about this gem!!!! lol I used to use this back in the day and always loved how it felt on my skin and smelt. It really did the job too!! I will have to go pick some up now and see if I get the same results. I know with many products there are changes made to "improve"... (and that's not always the case!) It was so inexpensive as well. I will be sure to get this again and do an update for all you lovelies!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2009 12:13:00 AM More reviews by allaboutbeati

I am surprised to find that it is facial cleansing that always blemish my hand towel!!!!
So is it mean that facial wash could leave something behind? So what would actually clean my face!!!????????
I did this survey and think it is interesting for you to do it and find out the results.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2009 12:20:00 PM More reviews by llmorris88

Like others here, this is a classic and I will always love it. I love the smell and the way it feels on my face. A true staple for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2009 1:36:00 AM More reviews by pjw1209

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Classic Noxzema cannot be beat. I apply this to my face and let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes because I love the smell. My DH does the same thing. It's a cleanser that we keep on hand at all times and it takes the sting out of a sunburn. .

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2009 7:04:00 PM More reviews by thaydizzle

I wasn't pleased AT ALL when I first tried this product. It felt so waxy and I had a hard time rinsing it off! I read reviews and read that some felt the same way too. I immediately hated it and wanted to return it.

However, one day I had a bad case of Hunan hand (skin irritation when the oils of hot peppers get in contact with your skin) I was so desperate that I resorted to using this cream since it had menthol to cool it down.

In the end it was the only thing that worked. When I rinsed it off, I noticed that I didn't feel the oily residue that I felt the first time I tried it. I think the oily residue goes away after you scrape away the top layer.

I love the minty feeling, it leaves my face feeling so clean. It even reduced my blackheads! Definitely recommend this product and I'll definitely buy it again since it was $3+ for a 10oz. tub!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2009 11:18:00 AM More reviews by LeiMar86

how have i not reviewed this yet?? this is one of my favorite cleansers out there. i was using Purpose for a looong time, but after awhile it just seemed to be drying out my skin too much, and it wasn't preventing breakouts anymore. i had a tub of noxzema in my bathroom (doesn't everyone seem to have one hanging around?) and decided to give it a try. i remember my grandmother used to use this, and for years, my mom and brother did also. i apply it to a dry face and let it sit for about a minute before i get in the shower/rinse it off at the sink. it never leaves my face feeling stripped, and it has even removed most of the stubborn blackheads that have been on my nose FOREVER! it doesn't prevent all breakouts, i still get them occasionally, but at least i don't get any more of the deep cysts on my cheeks that have been popping up for years! overall, i would definetly recommend this to anyone looking for a cheap, effective cleanser. fyi, i have VERY oily skin that is very sensitive and prone to breakouts.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2009 11:16:00 PM More reviews by ccjcjl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Okay, let's get things straight about this lye stuff. I'm no skin expert, but there is enough information to back up what I'm saying (if you're skeptical of me because I'm young, you can look up the info I give). I'm not spewing nonsense chemical info. I'll try to keep bias out of this review, until the end where I actually review this product

An important note: pH depends on the concentration of the compound, so I can't tell you the pH of this or that. It really depends on what the concentration of the chemical used is.

There seems to be different formulas of Noxema. Noxema MAY OR MAY NOT have been using sodium hydroxide in their old formulas. Currently, I cannot find anyone selling a tub of noxema that contains this ingredient. missnat says Noxema contains calcium hydroxide. But all the sites and ingrediant lists I've seen say it contains ammonium hydroxide.

Sodium hydroxide (NaOH), also known as lye, can be dissolve to create extremely alkaline solutions. It is a very strong base that almost entire dissociates into ions in water. Solutions of NaOH of 0.5 M (molarity) and above is extremely caustic. I have not found an ingredient label for Noxema that lists this. And if there was NaOH in an old formula, who knows how concentrated that base was?

Ammonium hydroxide (NH3OH, though technically this isn't possible and only exists in solutions where the compounds are dissociated) can also make very alkaline solutions, though not as strong as NaOH. Wikipedia says household ammonia is a dilute form of ammonium hydroxide. I don't know if this is true. But like I've said before, THIS product might have a very low concentration of ammonium hydroxide.

Calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2) is also fairly alkaline. It is used in the place of NaOH in no-lye relaxers. Wikipedia says this ingredient can be found in Nair. Then again, it is also contained in "calcium supplement[s] in mineral fortified baby formulas". (Wikipedia, yeah yeah I know). Again, yes, it's alkaline, but how concentrated is it?

Human skin has a pH around 5.5 (different sources vary by 0.1 or so). Compounds ending with "hydroxide" are bases.
Now, my opinions and biases: I don't think it's good to wash your barely acidic face with a basic solution. But some things work for one person's face while it totally ruins another.

End scientific rant. I have an AP Chemistry test tomorrow. I really should be studying for that instead of writing reviews on MUA. But my teacher said Noxema was made of NaOH and I was like, "REALLY?!" and had to check it out. The Noxema sold in USA at this time isn't made of that.

------ THE ACTUAL REVIEW ------

Opinions and personal experiences continued.: My mother used this when she was younger (it worked well for her), and she recommended it to me when I got chemical burns/rashes from Pond's. (I was sensitive to the cyanide.) I chose not to buy Noxema because at that time (and even now) I'm very sensitive to anything that 'tingles' or 'refreshes'. But I don't think my mother would have recommended it to me without good reason.

You know what, someone should really stick a pH indicator in that tub of Noxema.