Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

4.2

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Like so many other ladies my age (hitting their 40's -YIKES!), I used this back in high school. As I got older and started making some decent money, I started buying more HE powder such as MAC, Estee Lauder, Origins, Laura Mercier, you get the picture. But recently I was in Walgreen's and I happened to notice it out of the corner of my eye down there on the shelf! Whoa! There is Coty! And I instantly remembered how much I loved it back in the day. So I bought the translucent extra coverage (since I have some redness), and I love it still! Why have I wasted so much money on other powders when this one does a great job at making my skin look great? If you can answer that one for me, I would love to hear it! LOL! I use this powder nearly every day! I love the smell, reminds me of my carefree youth, and I love the coverage. Gives a nice airbrushed finish to any foundation or TM. I even use it on my mineral makeup and it looks great! Sure the packaging could be better, but I can deal with it. Definitely something I will continue to buy and keep in my mu stash! A must have!

Its hard to argue with a product that has been on the market unchanged for 75 years. I got this to fight shine, as the powder I had already was fast running out (Raw Minerals Active Veil, boy am I glad that it was given to me and I didn't pay $25 for it!). I got Airspun in translucent and its perfect! Even after several hours I don't get shiny, no its not a matte as it is right after application but its a soft glow rather than an oil slick. I transferred a spoonful to a sifter jar for easy transport. I have no problems with the packaging but its just too big to take in an over-nite bag. I am extremely happy that you get so much for only $6! (I bought at Wal-Mart and with tax it was only like $6.25, score!) The smell does remind one of Gramma so to speak, but it is not overpowering and is only really evident if you are around a large amount of powder, so on your skin there should be little or no scent. I am also very happy that it has had no negative effects on my skin. It has not made me break out, does not cake or dry my skin out, doesn't clog my pores, it just leaves my face feeling soft and looking gorgeous. I am definitely considering buying it with a little color for days when I don't feel like getting really made up, and for the price I can't go wrong.

Like so many other reviewers, I used this in high school and and college, loved it then. I switched to high-end powders once I began working (Clinique, Laura Mercier, etc.) They were fine, esp. the Laura Mercier. Then I switched to powder foundations and didn't really need loose powder, so I didn't wear it for years.

Recently, though, I have felt like a little dusting of loose powder might help minimize some larger pores that are the result of, ahem, aging. I am 43 now and just need a little "extra". I read all the reviews and went out and bought this in "Naturally Neutral" because the Translucent looked too pink. Naturally Neutral is perfect--light enough and just a touch of yellow in it. I bought the scented version b/c CVS didn't have the unscented. It was 6.99. The smell brought me RIGHT back to 1985...it is amazing how scents can do that. I generally don't like scented products but this smells lovely, although strong at first. Within 2 or 3 hours it fades away to nothing, though. I will probably try the unscented next time just to see how I like it.

I dust this on using a fluffy powder brush and then use a kabuki to buff if needed. I am going to try patting with a puff sometime too, as others suggested, to see how that works. This does give a flawless, airbrushed finish. Like any powder, you don't want to overdo it. I still use powder foundation (currently mark. Powder Buff) so I use a very light hand in the t-zone and a little on cheeks to set my blush. The effect is fabulous.

I adore the container. I don't have a problem with poking holes in the plastic, and the cardboard container with the cotton blossom design is beautiful and eco-friendly. Simply gorgeous. CVS actually had one container of Translucent that was plastic--really missing that vintage look, so I skipped it and got the cardboard one.

I love the fact that this has been around for so long. The price is unbeatable. The quality is very similar to high-end. A classic that that I hope will always endure.

I just started using this powder after all the good reviews I've found on drugstore.com and mua. I've always been fascinated by old Hollywood and 1930's and 40's glam, so the packaging really drew me in. I love how simple and elegant this powder is, and the price is amazing for the amount of product you get. I really like products that can multi-task, and this would work great for setting foundation, wearing it along on top of moisturizer, powdering your neck/collarbone, etc....

I've heard that the coloring can run a bit pinkish, but I got this in naturally neutral and its perfect for my fair/neutral skintone. The packaging, while cute, is high unpractical as many other users have noted. I must admit that I am a sucker for the old school look of the packaging though! I will definitely get some powder sifter jars for travel...I saw a pack of three on ebay for about 8 bucks with free shipping which seems like a pretty good deal.

I think the people that are having problem with dryness/flakiness need to make sure they regularly moisturize AND exfoliate. Just moisturizing doesn't work. Since I've started microdermabrasion, I've had no problem with flakiness/irritation and I have horribly sensitive combination skin. My skin is now baby soft and this powder makes it look flawless and matte. I will definitely repurchase!

Well, this is about as retro as can be, and yes, it does have a strong 'vintage' scent - but it disappears, calm down! I use 'Translucent' rubbing lightly with a big fluffy brush after applying foundation and I look matte and flawless for hours. There seems to be some debate over the packaging, which is awkward. You have to buy a big fluffy brush (or a powder puff, but a brush is easier and cleaner). The powder is under cellophane. What I do is prick the cellophane all over with a pin, put the cover on, and shake. Take the cover off, and there is a light layering of powder on top of the cellophane. Just dip your brush in and apply. I just use a light dusting, but if you like more, make some more pinpricks...I hope that doesn't sound complicated, it really takes about a minute to do initially. ... The powder is very fine milled and absorbs oil, and so far I haven't developed any wrinkles for the powder to settle in. I love it and leave the house after a full makeup job feeling I look my best. (The container obviously doesn't travel well, if you need to powder your nose during the day you will need to decant into a compact with a half sifter. I can hear the younger readers saying "huuuuh???", lol!. Easier to just buy a compact of some neutral or translucent pressed powder you can put in your purse.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I purchased this a few months ago in Translucent Extra Coverage 070-41, it worked great. I did take the recommendations of poking holes into the plastic and tapping into the lid and swirl with brush. Then I finally went and got matched at MAC (NW20) and Studio Fix (N4). Since it hard to find Neutral face products, I went ahead and purchased the Studio Fix and stopped using this powder. A few weeks later MAC broke me out and I'm sticking with Coty Airspun. I remember the packaging and smell from when I was younger, and still love it.

UPDATE: I switched to the Luminous Translucent 071-25 and Translucent 070-24 for Summer, now I have a happy family of three.

UPDATE (01/01/2011) Zinc doesn't work with my skin's chemistry so I have had to stop using this. I switched to CG Advance Radiance which is a pressed powder. I don't miss messy loose powder, found that pressed powder sets my foundation better and the velour puff that comes with the Pressed Powder is amazing.

continued >>

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is definitely my favorite loose setting powder. It keeps the oil at bay for sure, much better than the $35 Laura Mercier face powder I purchased awhile ago. I quickly went back to this as I need extra oil control and this seems to do a better job for me.

I am not a huge fan of the perfumey scent, but once you apply it the smell seems to fade. I have /never/ gotten any comments at all about the scent, and cannot smell it myself once it is applied. It goes on quite smoothly and the product lasts for ages.

My only qualm is with the packaging itself, but I got around it by buying a little sifter from Sephora and spooning some of the product into it for a more controlled application. :)

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

yes the smell is sort of old-lady like, but you can't really smell it on your face. i have this in transluscent and use i've used it everyday for probably 4 years to set my foundation. it has a pretty finish and tons of product, it will last you a long time and didn't irritate my skin at all.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I just discovered this as I was walking around CVS. I almost put it back because the smell is really strong, but purchased because of all the positive reviews. I must say I'm only on the second day wearing this, but am falling in love. I pray this doesn't break me out. Will update if that happens. The smell is really strong, but disappears throughout the day. I use this to set my tinted moisturizer. I use a big fluffy brush to apply. This powder makes me forget that I have dry skin! I have this in neutral, as the other shades looked really pink. Oh hate the packaging...Will be finding an empty sifter to transfer:)

Love,Love,Love this powder it is great I have so many other's good more money but not as good as this this make's your skin flawless, please do not ever stop making this.