Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

4.2

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

I remember always seeing this in the store when I was little, and I would always smell it when I passed by because I liked the smell. I know, like a lot of people who reviewed this product, the smell reminds me of my grandma, I would always hug her and smell Coty.

I steered clear of products containing talc, because like another reviewer mentioned, "they" said it was bad. I switched to mineral powder since it was supposedly "better" for my body. I decided to try talc products again upon seeing a couple of girls in the Philippines using baby powder on their face to keep the oilies at bay. I figured that baby powder absorbs the moisture in baby's diapers, so it probably absorbs the oil on the face.

I researched and talc is a mineral anyway, and I found out that most websites that report the "talc clogs pores" thing are almost always marketing some kind of mineral makeup, and companies are making big bucks off the "talc-free" makeup ploy. Cosmetic-grade talc is regulated and if inhaled will not cause cancer.

Back to the product, the packaging is, cheap, but its nice on the eyes, but the color scheme for the fragranced powder is a little off-putting and sometimes gives me a head-ache, and I much prefer the look of the frangrance-free.

It comes with a hefty amount of product, but it's very messy to work with, and its always flying around and sprinkling itself everywhere when I use it. I don't want to poke holes in the plastic, incase the lid flies off and I don't want powder flying everywhere.

I am of half South-Eastern Asian descent, so my skin is a little dark (olive), so I use the transluscent. The product blends nicely with my skin, and it keeps the shinies at bay for most of the day. The smell can cause a headache for some, and may be off-putting to some people, but the smell goes away on my face soon after applying, and a little perfume off-sets the smell.

Overall, I would buy this again (that is if I ever run out), it is well worth the price (around $5-7), which is a steal all things considered, well worth the very little amount it costs.

EDIT: The powder now comes in a much more manageable packaging, making application much less messy. However, I can now only find it in the translucent shade. I don't know if they changed the formula, but it makes me oilier than it used to, and combining it with another darker powder (so it can match my skin, despite it's so called 'translucent' shade) seem to be the only fix.

Because of this, I rescind my initial rating of 5 lippies. It was good while it lasted, and for those of us of the paler sort, it would probably be a better choice for you than for me.

on 7/7/2009 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Iíve been using this product for the past 3 months, I use it daily, in the morning to set my makeup and then midday to refresh my makeup. I can safely say this product is not intended for oily skin. I have extremely oily skin and this powder has done nothing to help control the shine or oil on my face. I actually think it might make my skin even oilier (if thatís at all possible). Also, after using blot papers and then applying this powder it appears to be cakey and splotchy in coverage. I guess for $7 at the drugstore what should you expect? I hate to break the great rating but this product did not deliver.

on 6/1/2009 12:57:00 AM

I tried this product in one of the translucent fair shades years ago but it was too light and too messy. I was younger then and didn't appreciate the older packaging or loose powder in general. Now that Coty cosmetics are discontinued save this powder, I've come back to it, and this time with a new appreciation for its history. Of course, finding the right color for my skintone ó Honey Beige, 070-32 ó makes a big difference. I no longer look like a ghost as was the case when I used a fairer shade years ago.

What strikes me about this product above all is the scent. It's somewhat akin to a muted baby powder/violet scent. I've never applied a powder to my face that smelled so good, and that alone will keep me coming back to this product time and time again. Sure, loose powders are messy ó especially this one because talc-based products are extremely fine like baby powder. And true, this doesn't conceal flaws in the skin as well as Physicians Formula mineral makeup in compact form, which is the only reason it misses a perfect rating.

What is different about this color, in particular, is that while it looks overtly peachy it doesn't impart an artificial orange cast or a greyish beige tone as is frequently the case with many drugstore brands. Coty Airspun powders, in general, tend to be rather translucent, which is to say that it does not dim the complexion or impart an unnatractive ashen tone. And as others have pointed out, this product does a good job wicking away the appearance of oil for hours on end. Benefits aside, I love the retro packaging. What's more eco-friendly than a biodegradable cardboard box, after all? And that powder puff illustration ó that is a hand-drawn illustration dating back to the 1930s. When are you ever going to see anything on a product package these days that wasn't designed on a computer?

Now unlike others, I didn't pierce the plastic with a pin to create a sieve. It is possible, rather, to lift the inner seal out, at which point it is possible to access the loose powder beneath without mutilating the package. I then dip a brush in and tap the excess off the brush back into the reservoir. However, I didn't throw away the topper. I use it as a seal to prevent the loose powder from escaping the box when I take off the outer lid.

Coty is still very much alive and well as a company, but they appear to concentrate mostly on manufacturing fragrances these days. This Airspun Powder is the only remaining cosmetic product they make. I sincerely hope the company brings back the Coty lipcolor in those adorable brass tubes my mother once used. Don't they know that retro is in? If it looks and feels Old School that's not necessarily a drawback. There are, after all, entire brands that have been established to mimic the appeal of vintage cosmetics. Why not bring back actual vintage formulations and package designs? More importantly, unlike today's moisture lipstick forumlas that go on like soft butter, Coty lipcolor was high in wax and pigment and a single tube would not only last forever but a single application would last all day (and into the night without the aid of makeup remover). Now those were the days. Thankfully, this one true classic has survived. In my area, finding this product is hit or miss. The only drugstore that appears to consistently stock Coty Airspun Powder is CVS, priced at about $6.99.

on 5/31/2009 8:47:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I saw this powder on one of those magazine spreads. The ones that saw beauty for less of something along those lines. So I looked for it at walgreens the next time I went, and they had one container left of the translucent one. It comes in an aqua colored box.

When I first started using it, I would put way too much on, but I have learned to use just a little bit. I do use it everyday, either to set me foundation or alone.

I have very oily skin, so even if I use this, I end up needing to blot, but I don't believe there is any powder that could keep my skin matte all day. So this is good enough for me.

Oh one more thing. The smell reminds me of the olden days too. I kinda like that though.

on 5/30/2009 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

The only thing besides the packaging I don't like is the smell, but the coverage is so good. It did bother my eyes when I put it on my lids, so I just avoid the eye area when putting it on. I can't use this anymore because of the smell...:(

on 5/22/2009 2:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I BOUGHT THIS PRODUCT YESTERDAY AND I USED IT ON ONE OF MY CLIENTS. SHE LOVED IT AND I LOVED. ALTHOUGH IT IS NOT FOR OLIVE AND + SKIN TONES IT WILL GIVE YOU THAT NICE SETTING TO MASK OUT UNDER EYE CIRCLES!!! PRETTY MUCH I GIVE AN 8 OUT OF 10!! ANOTHER THING I RECOMMEND IS TO NOT TEAR OUT THE PLASTIC LINING ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS MAKE TINY LITTLE HOLES ABOUT 6 OF THEM WITH A SAFETY PIN SO YOU CAN GET THE POWDER OUT OF THERE!!

on 5/19/2009 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I always used MAC Mineralize Skinfinish powder but have wanted to try Coty. I have very oily skin and have had to blot it 2 times a day but
I found that I don't have to at all with this powder!
The smell doesnt bother me at all.

on 5/6/2009 11:20:00 PM

A very good powder use to set my makeup Love this classic

on 4/30/2009 1:49:00 PM

Some people say that Airspun has an old-lady fragrance, but to me, it's the smell of a young lady--me, buying it in my 20s because I didn't have a lot of money. When I moved into my 30s, I tried many other powders, including department store brands, but none of them was any better than Airspun, which is light yet still mattifies and keeps foundation fresh.

on 4/29/2009 5:00:00 AM

I got this from Drugstore.com and got it in Neutrally Natural or was it Naturally Neutral? Whatever it is, i don't like this powder. It goes on cakey on me and it was just too pale for my liking. Very unnatural. I think it cause my skin to react abit, some itch here n there although nothing serious....i don't find offense with the scent although i prefer it scentless...i would apply this on body instead and would not repurchase again. I'll stick with my Milani powder instead, they work fine n well for me so far except that i need to get it online, over here, the price is quite steep for the powder.