Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

4.2

Price: $

Price: $

on 9/14/2009 10:04:00 PM

Breaks my heart that this doesn't work for me. With my fair skin, most products look too orangey or pinky on me, but not Coty Airspun, great colors and textures for fair skinned people who don't want a heavily made up look, even the transluscent I have was pretty nice in that department. Even the scent didn't bother me or my mild rosacea, actually very nostalgic scent for me, reminds me of all the great, older Southern ladies I've known. No, the problem is that this powder is a little too good at its job. I have that annoying sensitive, combination skin. With Coty applied, my tendency to dry prone areas felt tight. Amazingly, no inflammations or irritation. Do love the price, even if you regret product, you don't have the added pain of spending a pile of money on it. Agree w/everyone on inconvenience of packaging. Will probably keep this for nostalgia reasons, not to mention, sure does look period appropriate on my old fashioned vanity. Might use it as a scented body powder.
Side note: for those of y'all who like the texture of vintage brands of loose and vpressed powder, but don't like the Coty scent, two possibilities. Stardustperfume sells the discontinued line of Sally Hansen cornsilk products, in individual and multi-pack lots, decent pricing. Also, Weston's sells their own version of Cornsilk powder--have heard this British version on Weston's is superior, but a package of it cost a few dollars more than the disc. Sally Hansen Cornsilk.

Well I loved this, but unfortunately I got tired of it invading the bathroom sink, counters, and my purse. I had to switch to a compact powder. If you don't mind the mess it sets makeup nicely.

I love everything about this. The way it smells, the way it goes on AND the packaging. (contrary to everyone else)
It sets my foundation EVERY day, and I have even tried using it wet(difficult, doesn't mix well with water, but it looked nice)
When I use it with a brush, I find that the lid is great for swirling your brush in, and if there's still some in the lid when you're done, you can tap it (carefully) back into the container. Be careful no to tip it over, or it will *poof* when you open it. If you want to take some in your purse, I reccomend getting a small container (with it's own sifter?), or just reusing a bareminerals container (Hope this helped!!!

on 8/23/2009 10:25:00 AM

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have been using this product for about 4 years now. I have pale skin and have used translucent, muted beige, and now naturally neutral. Translucent is good for soaking up oil and giving the skin a 'soft focus' look, the muted beige matched me pale skin perfectly and look 100% natural in most lighting, a plus since us pale people often look too peachy and pink or orange with makeup on since it is so hard to find a light enough shade. Now, I use the naturally neutral. I find that is also looks just as natural as the muted beige, but has a slightly more porcelain finish, not too pale for me (which is almost impossible) but a more porcelain, smooth tone for my skin, you know? I get compliments all the time that my skin looks good, and not my makeup, and people always ask me what skincare I use, not what makeup I use, when I use this powder. I am going to assume that means that I am not the only one that thinks it looks natural, lol, and that it really does. Also, the application can be a little tricky. I have found that for the best coverage and finish it is best to apply a fairly liberally layer to the skin without blending it in and then letting it sit for about 5 minutes. Then take a makeup sponge or puff or brush and blend away the excess. The right amount has been left behind and 'soaked' into the oils on your face. It last all day too with not touch ups which is a major plus.

on 8/18/2009 4:58:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Good lord! I have to say that in my entire life I have never smelled anything so highly fragranced. It literally knocked me out when I opened up my shipment from Drugstore.Com and everything in there was scented from this powder! The smell is completely overwhelming and incredibly obnoxious. I have smelled things fragranced before that were a bit strong yet manageable, however this could never be one of them. It's not a good smell either but a bad perfume on steroids scent that is like nothing you have ever smelled before in your life! I can't imagine anyone with any sensitivities being able to bear this let alone wear it on their face! I had heard some great things about this simple powder although the fragrance had come up before from certain users. I just never dreamed it was THIS intense and this overwhelming!! What were they thinking! This is not 14th century France where they never bathed! I wish I could give some perspective on the actual powder, but I had to toss this in the trash because no matter where I put the box, it stunk up that whole area. I just couldn't see putting something this intensely scented all over my face, so in the trash it went. I have heard that there is an unscented version somewhere, but I was unable to find it (I'll keep checking around). Take heed before buying this if you have allergies or any sensitivities because this will blow you out of the water. I got a bit of a headache just from smelling it for a few minutes and it wasn't even on my face! Yikes!

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

I remember always seeing this in the store when I was little, and I would always smell it when I passed by because I liked the smell. I know, like a lot of people who reviewed this product, the smell reminds me of my grandma, I would always hug her and smell Coty.

I steered clear of products containing talc, because like another reviewer mentioned, "they" said it was bad. I switched to mineral powder since it was supposedly "better" for my body. I decided to try talc products again upon seeing a couple of girls in the Philippines using baby powder on their face to keep the oilies at bay. I figured that baby powder absorbs the moisture in baby's diapers, so it probably absorbs the oil on the face.

I researched and talc is a mineral anyway, and I found out that most websites that report the "talc clogs pores" thing are almost always marketing some kind of mineral makeup, and companies are making big bucks off the "talc-free" makeup ploy. Cosmetic-grade talc is regulated and if inhaled will not cause cancer.

Back to the product, the packaging is, cheap, but its nice on the eyes, but the color scheme for the fragranced powder is a little off-putting and sometimes gives me a head-ache, and I much prefer the look of the frangrance-free.

It comes with a hefty amount of product, but it's very messy to work with, and its always flying around and sprinkling itself everywhere when I use it. I don't want to poke holes in the plastic, incase the lid flies off and I don't want powder flying everywhere.

I am of half South-Eastern Asian descent, so my skin is a little dark (olive), so I use the transluscent. The product blends nicely with my skin, and it keeps the shinies at bay for most of the day. The smell can cause a headache for some, and may be off-putting to some people, but the smell goes away on my face soon after applying, and a little perfume off-sets the smell.

Overall, I would buy this again (that is if I ever run out), it is well worth the price (around $5-7), which is a steal all things considered, well worth the very little amount it costs.

EDIT: The powder now comes in a much more manageable packaging, making application much less messy. However, I can now only find it in the translucent shade. I don't know if they changed the formula, but it makes me oilier than it used to, and combining it with another darker powder (so it can match my skin, despite it's so called 'translucent' shade) seem to be the only fix.

Because of this, I rescind my initial rating of 5 lippies. It was good while it lasted, and for those of us of the paler sort, it would probably be a better choice for you than for me.

on 7/7/2009 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Iíve been using this product for the past 3 months, I use it daily, in the morning to set my makeup and then midday to refresh my makeup. I can safely say this product is not intended for oily skin. I have extremely oily skin and this powder has done nothing to help control the shine or oil on my face. I actually think it might make my skin even oilier (if thatís at all possible). Also, after using blot papers and then applying this powder it appears to be cakey and splotchy in coverage. I guess for $7 at the drugstore what should you expect? I hate to break the great rating but this product did not deliver.

on 6/1/2009 12:57:00 AM

I tried this product in one of the translucent fair shades years ago but it was too light and too messy. I was younger then and didn't appreciate the older packaging or loose powder in general. Now that Coty cosmetics are discontinued save this powder, I've come back to it, and this time with a new appreciation for its history. Of course, finding the right color for my skintone ó Honey Beige, 070-32 ó makes a big difference. I no longer look like a ghost as was the case when I used a fairer shade years ago.

What strikes me about this product above all is the scent. It's somewhat akin to a muted baby powder/violet scent. I've never applied a powder to my face that smelled so good, and that alone will keep me coming back to this product time and time again. Sure, loose powders are messy ó especially this one because talc-based products are extremely fine like baby powder. And true, this doesn't conceal flaws in the skin as well as Physicians Formula mineral makeup in compact form, which is the only reason it misses a perfect rating.

What is different about this color, in particular, is that while it looks overtly peachy it doesn't impart an artificial orange cast or a greyish beige tone as is frequently the case with many drugstore brands. Coty Airspun powders, in general, tend to be rather translucent, which is to say that it does not dim the complexion or impart an unnatractive ashen tone. And as others have pointed out, this product does a good job wicking away the appearance of oil for hours on end. Benefits aside, I love the retro packaging. What's more eco-friendly than a biodegradable cardboard box, after all? And that powder puff illustration ó that is a hand-drawn illustration dating back to the 1930s. When are you ever going to see anything on a product package these days that wasn't designed on a computer?

Now unlike others, I didn't pierce the plastic with a pin to create a sieve. It is possible, rather, to lift the inner seal out, at which point it is possible to access the loose powder beneath without mutilating the package. I then dip a brush in and tap the excess off the brush back into the reservoir. However, I didn't throw away the topper. I use it as a seal to prevent the loose powder from escaping the box when I take off the outer lid.

Coty is still very much alive and well as a company, but they appear to concentrate mostly on manufacturing fragrances these days. This Airspun Powder is the only remaining cosmetic product they make. I sincerely hope the company brings back the Coty lipcolor in those adorable brass tubes my mother once used. Don't they know that retro is in? If it looks and feels Old School that's not necessarily a drawback. There are, after all, entire brands that have been established to mimic the appeal of vintage cosmetics. Why not bring back actual vintage formulations and package designs? More importantly, unlike today's moisture lipstick forumlas that go on like soft butter, Coty lipcolor was high in wax and pigment and a single tube would not only last forever but a single application would last all day (and into the night without the aid of makeup remover). Now those were the days. Thankfully, this one true classic has survived. In my area, finding this product is hit or miss. The only drugstore that appears to consistently stock Coty Airspun Powder is CVS, priced at about $6.99.

on 5/31/2009 8:47:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I saw this powder on one of those magazine spreads. The ones that saw beauty for less of something along those lines. So I looked for it at walgreens the next time I went, and they had one container left of the translucent one. It comes in an aqua colored box.

When I first started using it, I would put way too much on, but I have learned to use just a little bit. I do use it everyday, either to set me foundation or alone.

I have very oily skin, so even if I use this, I end up needing to blot, but I don't believe there is any powder that could keep my skin matte all day. So this is good enough for me.

Oh one more thing. The smell reminds me of the olden days too. I kinda like that though.

on 5/30/2009 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

The only thing besides the packaging I don't like is the smell, but the coverage is so good. It did bother my eyes when I put it on my lids, so I just avoid the eye area when putting it on. I can't use this anymore because of the smell...:(