July 28, 2014 | 1977 users online

Loose Powders - E.L.F. - Studio High Definition Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2012 9:52:00 PM More reviews by makeupdiva23

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

Before I bought this, I hadn't used a face powder in around 10 years. This powder is amazing. I use a very light touch and it sets my foundation for the day. It works with my L'Oreal True Match liquid, but makes the L'Oreal Magic Souffle ball up. So I only use it with the True Match. It makes my skin look very even and even airbrushed. Make sure you just poke a few of the holes and don't peel of the sticker. I poked around half of the holes on just one side and the perfect amount comes out everytime.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2012 12:32:00 PM More reviews by ainslieann

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I ordered this powder from E.L.F.'s website, and when I opened the package, a quarter of the product had fallen out. The plastic piece that covers the holes was still in tact, so I am not sure how that happened. The packaging is not great, and the powder can be messy if you don't tap out very little (which is difficult to do). I also threw the puff away immediately because I felt it concentrated the product too much in one area instead of helping to blend. I use the studio line complexion brush from E.L.F. to blend the powder and it works well! I am very fair, so I do not feel as though this powder makes me look ghostly. I use it on top of my foundation, blush and bronzer and it really makes everything look beautifully blended. It definitely gives me that soft focus finish and makes my skin look and feel smooth. I haven't noticed much of a difference in oil control, but I am oily regardless of whatever precautions I take! Another plus is the affordability!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/12/2012 1:03:00 AM More reviews by shordeecat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

For $6, this product works pretty amazing. I normally run out pretty quickly though. It seems like the whole jar isn't filled, not even half way. However, it does set my makeup well. It's very sheer and the powder is very fine. I don't get the cakey look like some similar cheaper setting powders give me. This product works well and I will be repurchasing. It's one of my favorite products from ELF.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2012 2:40:00 PM More reviews by pmburk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a makeup snob. But, after plopping down $35 for a small jar of Make Up For Ever's HD powder, I decided to risk $6 and try this. Best I can tell, the products are nearly identical. This powder is stark white, and as with any HD product, you *have* to apply with an extremely light hand (I use my MAC kabuki brush) then blend & buff like mad or you'll end up looking ghostly and even worse in pictures. Don't apply this like you apply your regular powder - use only a tiny bit and buff it in very well. I use this lightly after my foundation, and then apply my regular powder on top. This gives me a matte, velvety, airbrushed finish, that lasts all day. The powder itself is finely milled and gives a beautiful, soft focus finish. I don't use the puff it came with. The only dislike about this is the packaging - while you get a very generous amount, for some reason it is very messy and the powder tends to fall everywhere and make kind of a mess. I take out & throw away the sifter and the puff, and just dip my brush directly into the powder. Much less messy that way! Overall this is a great product for the price.

23 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2012 6:17:00 PM More reviews by jskellis

an ok finishing powder, giving a soft focus sort of look. but it appears a little grainy on the face, highlights little hairs, and does nothing whatsoever for oil control.

and the packaging is terrible, the sieve is too big and I feel like I lose a lot of product whenever I open it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2011 2:00:00 AM More reviews by orangenotepad

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I love this product- it helps set my liquid foundation well, and I barely need to blot midday with this on. My skin looks photoshopped in pictures when I wear this. I avoid the white cast by applying very lightly.

The only minor gripes I have are:

- the packaging could be improved upon, like a lock-and-go thing that bare minerals has on their foundation/veil.
- I can't be sloppy/lazy with concealer. If I don't blend well before using the powder, the powder settles heavily on top of the concealer and it looks splotchy.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2011 7:24:00 PM More reviews by Yasue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is my favorite powder of all time--including prestige brands!

I've had a hate-hate relationship with most powders for most of my life. My skin doesn't seem to like talc, which tends to be in most of them.

This one does not irritate my skin at all because it lacks talc.It's translucent, so the "color" is perfect. :) It gives a flawless finish, minimizing fine lines on my face (I'm 40, though people guess I am in my late 20s all the time) and just makes my skin look smoother in general. It doesn't accentuate the flakiness I often get in the colder months--in fact, it hides it.

It doesn't leave a completely matte finish, but IMHO that's a pro, not a con. I find that for non oily skin types, totally matte powder make the skin look really fake and made up.

I tested it by having my photo taken in natural sunlight and it didn't bounce back light either, which can be an issue with powders for photo shoots. Powders that are too matte or that have sparkle tend to make the face lighter than the neck, even if foundation etc. matches the neckline.

I don't know that oily skins will appreciate this as much. I've tried it on several people and it is a dream for sensitive skin, normal skin, dry skin, and very dry skin.

Edit:
I can see where the package might be an issue for touch ups though, but if I need blotting, that's what papers are for. :)

The trick to not getting too much is to turn it upside down very quickly and use your brush to pick up powder off of the puff.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2011 3:57:00 PM More reviews by emilyannh

I really love this powder. It makes my skin look nearly flawless. I apply it over my foundation with a kabuki brush and then use a setting spray to get rid of the powdery look and my face looks almost photoshopped. Yes, the packaging is pretty much crap. It is bulky and product goes everywhere. I put a piece of clear tape in mine to keep so much from coming out and that seemed to take care of most of the messiness. Also, like most reviewers are saying, applying with a light hand is necessary or else you will end up looking a bit like a ghost.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/29/2011 4:43:00 PM More reviews by gmoskol

I purchased this product after reading several glowing reviews on MUA. I bought it from Amazon.com for a mere $5.99. The container has a screw on square shaped lid. The puff inside is a very nice quality velour and is super soft. I removed the plastic strip to access the powder and shook it to get some on the puff. A lot more came out than I expected. I think so much came out because it is so finely milled. I used the puff to pat some on my cheeks, nose and chin (over foundation). The powder itself is pure white. It blends nicely IF YOU DO NOT USE TOO MUCH. Once I removed the excess and blended it with a different puff (the one it comes with is not good for blending in my opinion) I had a very nice, soft focus matte finish. It did not give quite as much coverage as I am used to. I normally use Covergirl loose powder in 110, which has a slight tint to it, so I think that is why I feel that powder gives me more coverage. I then had the brilliant idea of using a small amount of Covergirl powder to set my foundation and then dusted the ELF powder on top. The result was flawless. I got the extra tinted coverage from Covergirl and the soft focus matte from the ELF. I would give this powder a rating of 5 if it gave just a little bit more coverage. The packaging could use a little work too since too much comes out of the sifter. But for $5.99 I am not going to complain. So, if you don't need very full coverage then this powder may end up being your HG powder. Just remember that a little bit goes a long way and make sure you blend it well.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/26/2011 11:47:00 PM More reviews by Nanaisbeautiful

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've had a couple of bad encounters with ELF products and this one is no exception. The most crippling thing about this product is its horrendous packaging; you'll end up losing more than you'll probably get to use! It does a decent job at setting foundation. The product is very very inexpensive and you get a very good amount (3.5g) of product. But I can not get over the great loss of product I get each time I open the jar. I think if your on a tight budget this a decent product but if you can splurge I recommend looking on here for another product with better packaging.