Yogurt Mask

4.5

Price: $

Price: $

Yoghurt (especially Turkish, Balkan, Greek )

I have gone through a vial of olive oil, a tub of organic honey, and a bottle of aspirin... none of these have been THAT successful for me. I have tried plain yogurt 3x and am determining the results. I have big pores and rash-like adult acne at my temples. The yogurt calms down the itchyness and redness but by no means is it my miracle worker. I will keep using this for a while to see if yogurt will become my HG.

on 12/31/2008 8:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

Marvellous stuff, on the lactose-tolerant, sensitive, fragile of skin. If you have issues with cow milk products, try goat or sheep milk yoghurt, or else goat/sheep milk powder mixed with water. Have tried them successfully; haven't tried using soy- or oat-milk products, but I suspect they'd be worth a go. That briefest of caveats aside: this stuff is so mild the worst that would probably happen - if your skin is tougher and needs something more potent - is nothing at all.

Here are three mask recipes, all using plain natural yoghurt (i.e. no added sugar, flavours, bits of fruit, etc.):

(1) Emergency: simply apply yoghurt to skin. Straight out of fridge or at room temperature. Indeed, if in a state of desperation, straight out of the yoghurt container, and using the hands. Good for calming irritation and sensitivity. Burns, rashes, bites - I first used this on sunburn when a child, before the dawning of the great age of modern sunscreens that actually work. Apply a layer to affected skin, and leave it for as long as possible. Some will absorb - nice and moisturising - and the rest will dry, then can be washed off very easily, with plain water.

A thicker yoghurt works best for this, simply because the texture makes it easier to apply and helps it stay on: e.gg. full-fat, and Greek-style (or Turkish or variously Balkan) yoghurt.

(2) Basic face mask: mix 1 teaspoonful of yoghurt + 1 teaspoonful of honey. Applied in a thin layer to face, neck, and bosom. Can be left on for as little as 5 min in shower (while washing hair and rest of self), or up to 30 min (till really dry and crumbly). Then rinsed off. Skin is soft and soothed afterwards. Excellent if skin's been misbehaving or upset. Being very mild, can be used daily if so desired. Takes seconds to prepare in kitchen beforehand: I recommend using a small container (ex. egg-cup) to transport the mask to the bathroom. Unless you're a luxurious person with an in-bathroom fridge ...

Works with any honey tried so far. Fine with a thinner yoghurt (and - see other reviews below - low-fat is recommended, for AHA reasons). The mask should be sufficiently non-liquid so as not to fall off the face: other than that practicality, texture is a matter of individual preference. I've had perfectly satisfactory results with many a yoghurt: though I do still prefer to use the same pot for eating and for skincare, being a lazy shopper (and a pedestrian, with at least a 30 min walk between shops/public transport and home).

OK, not technically a mask - more a speeded-up version of the in-shower mask - but a thin yoghurt or a drinking yoghurt (the plain drinking yoghurt you get in cartons in Europe) also makes a good simple cleansing milk. As does milk (the clue's in the name). Use as any other creamy non-foaming cleanser: dampen skin (ideally, using a facecloth and tepid water), apply a little yoghurt or milk (1 or 2 teaspoonfuls: again, best via the intermediary of an unbreakable container), rub in, rinse off. Common practice for generations, but just adding this use here in case anyone's not met the idea. No guarantees on heavy-duty make-up; it does remove lightweight sunscreen; above all, nice and refreshing in the morning.

(3) The complete face mask: add oatmeal. Best ground down a little, and soaked in warm water (as if making porridge), then mixed in. Quantities: for a good solid mask, a little more oatmeal than the total quantity of the other ingredients combined. This mask can be applied and left until it dries; it can also be used as a super-gentle scrub. As a mask, works well with cold teabags on closed eyes, as an eye-mask. Happy memories of many girls' nights in, over many years. (Not keeping the same mask on for all these years, I hasten to add.) Infinite variations exist: e.g. the addition of mashed banana and/or avocado on drier skin. The world's your oyster ... Same proportions again: at least 50% oatmeal. Easiest to make in a larger batch, and thus either for a bunch of people or for a weekend of twice-daily self-pampering.

Cheap. Makes you gorgeous. Smells lovely. Fully edible. And performs miracles on messed-up skin - on this particular one anyway, that's physically thin (gets scratched and bleeds with nearly all scrubs) and easily irritated (sometimes resulting in spots and rashes), slightly dry, occasional cystic pimpliciousness on chin (currently none, touch wood it's under control).

Recommended as part of a general leisurely - maybe even slow-motion - hung-over pampering: groaning gently to oneself feels like the perfect accompaniment. Mind you, so is humming happily.
continued >>

on 12/30/2008 11:06:00 AM

Fabulous. Get the full fat kind and it will cling to the face. I've left it on between 20 minutes and one hour. Skin feels cool and calmed and velvety. Calms perioral dermatitis like nothing else. I've even used it on my scalp for pesky flaking, and it's easier and neater to use than it may sound. A definite keeper.

on 12/28/2008 7:35:00 PM

Thanks, again, MakeupAlley! If it weren't for yall, I would never have slathered yogurt, honey, aspirin, or especially Monistat on my face! The yogurt mask is fantastic! I bought the 2% Greek yogurt and it's so creamy and thick; it doesn't drip at all! After I wash it off, my face is bright and my pores are minimized! This is a new staple for me.

on 12/24/2008 12:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I always have plain organic yogurt in my fridge and kept seeing reviews for the yogurt mask. I've been using yogurt as a mask for about 2 months now. What a great find! I have an oily t-zone and sensitive cheeks. After cleansing and toning I slather on some yogurt. Be careful not to apply too much or it drips off your face! I leave it on for 5 to 20 minutes depending on how much time I have. I usually prefer to mask at night, but this is a great pick me up in the morning if I need a little pick me up. The lactic acid helps to gently break down dead skin and the yogurt itself helps to soothe any sensitive or blemished areas. You can add other ingredients easily too. I tried adding Manuka honey but find I get better results with either just straight yogurt or just straight honey. When I wash off the yogurt (I use a washcloth and warm water), my skin looks bright, smooth and feels moisturized. Highly recommend this for all skin types!

on 12/24/2008 10:05:00 AM

WOOOOW!!!!! I really have to thank MUA for initiating me into the secrets of yogurt as a beauty must-have!!!!! OK that was cheesy, but anyway ;P I'm surprised how much I looooove this! For reference I have oily/combo, acne-prone skin. After reading the glowing reviews on here, I decided to give it a go since it's so cheap and there's absolutely nothing to lose. Went down to the nearest off-licence and got a tub of plain, low-fat yogurt of the cheapest variety which was the only one they had there. It's quite runny so I just had to kind fo smear it over my face and it only dripped down my chin so it wasn't too bad! Oh and I used about 1-2 tablespoons of yogurt all over my face. The smell was a bit funny but not unbearable. To my surprise, it did kind of dry over time (about 30 minutes) and I washed it off. And wooow I loved what I saw in the mirror!! I had 2 active pimples at the time and the yogurt didn't irritate them at all. In fact I think it calmed them down! It took any redness out and my face felt and looked so clean and smooth. Other reviewers have noted a brightening effect and I experienced that too. My complexion was significantly brighter and clearer!!! All this for a few pennies! I bought the REN glycolactic peel mask last week due to the great reviews and, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually prefer my yogurt mask!!! I'm not usually into these 'natural' beauty remedies but this yogurt mask and the olive oil scrub (I learnt about both of them on MUA :) )are truly amazing all natural beauty treatments which are just as good if not better than the fanciful stuff you see in shops. Anyways I highly recommend this mask! There really is nothing to lose :)))

on 12/15/2008 7:08:00 AM

5 lippies for this home remedy that makes a very easy, healthful mask with softening and soothing effects. I usually use full fat, organic yogurt. It's very moisturizing, so if my breakouts are active, I purchase a lower fat % yogurt. Afterwards my face feels *SO* soft! No irritation. Like others mentioned, it's a versatile base. I alternate mixing with raw honey. Sometimes I add my powdered pumpkin mask from KZM at Etsy. Can be added to bathwater for softening too! Will continue to use.

on 12/9/2008 10:02:00 AM

Wow- I LOVE what yogurt has done to my skin. I have too purchased the Greek yogurt as others have and am in love. I started using a little honey as well and am in total love. I cant' beleieve it took me so long to try this. Overall skin tone is so much nicer and helping clear acne!
I love MUA!

on 12/6/2008 8:29:00 AM

Okay, so I to was looking for a new mask..I have the Aztec clay which I like but it does tend to hurt the face a bit...very powerful stuff, so I was looking for something a little more gentle. Well, came accross yogurt...and I wouldn't have thought to try it- silly me. So, I went out and bought some of the Greek Plain Organic Yogurt yesterday. So, only used it last night but like the results so far. I didn't leave it on for long so I will keep it on longer and use every other night and will probably add some honey.
What a great idea! Thanks MUArs

on 12/6/2008 3:28:00 AM

I've used this a couple of times now. The 1st few times with just plain yoghurt but after finding reviews on here and seeing variations I have used a yoghurt/honey/squeeze of lemon juice mask. I think the latter probably worked a bit better for me and it's damn easy to make. Not messy at all. I don't think this works miracles BUT my skin lately has kinda gone haywire.Just switched to a new skincare routine and a few days o crazy eating habits which are back to normal (but not my skin!:-(.) ANYway, I agree this does reduce redness and I have a new pimple which was coming up just near my mouth and when I took this mask off it had come to a head(which is both good cos it will get better sooner but bad cos it's saturday night! haha). People have mentioned this helps with their blackheads & little bumps buuuut so far I haven't. It DOES make your skin lovely and smooth. I will repurchase and continue mixing it up because I believe this stuff is just as good as some of the $$ masks out there (having tried both the cheap & eye googling expensive myself). I will update if this gets even better results with even more continuous use... or worse ha....

Popular Masks