November 23, 2014 | 953 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Translucent Powder

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2003 11:29:00 PM More reviews by JGardella

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was so excited to try this back when everyone used to rave and rave about it (I no longer wear powder these days) so I picked it up at KMart.

It worked fine for about an hour abd then my skin would start to look oily. Not only that, but this powder caused my skin to break out so badly that I just wanted to run and hide. It took a good week after I stopped using this for my skin to clear up and return to normal.

Stay far far away from this one!!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2003 10:30:00 PM More reviews by emilykate

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a staple product for me. It gives me a nice, matte look, and the color is good for my skin. Ive found that it doesnt go on very well on dry skin, so you might want to apply moisturizer first.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/28/2003 3:06:00 AM More reviews by morguegurl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

I love the color and the consistency of this stuff isnt bad. However I have very sensitive skin and it's felt irritated and gross all day after Ive been using this. Also it looks like I have breakouts on my face that werent there last night, so I hope this doesnt cause me horrible acne. The packaging and sponge are also really crappy. However it doesnt smell nasty and it doesnt look weird on my face when applied so I gave it two lipsticks.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2003 9:40:00 PM More reviews by autumn95

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought the pressed powder based on the recommendations from MUA's. It is cheap; I paid $2.99 cdn. I wish it had a nicer compact. I also recommend using a compact brush instead of that stupid puff. Nice for mid day touchups.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2003 1:27:00 AM More reviews by peppersunlight

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This powder is great. I am pretty pale, and it is sometimes hard to find a powder that doesnt turn orangey. I bought the translucent, and it is wonderfully pale. And you can't beat the price! I think I paid about 2.00. I have bought it two or three times now, and will continue to buy it. added note though- I am sorry about the animal testing thing, never heard about that before...will have to look into that....

rated 1 of 5 on 11/16/2003 9:18:00 PM More reviews by veggigoddess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Sucks! Just found out off of Peta's website that MYC tests on animals so no more contributing to that BS. Still trying to find out if Wet N Wild does, but more likely. These cosmetics lines maybe inexpensive, but is it really worth the health and life of innocent animals? HARDLY!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/16/2003 9:13:00 PM More reviews by veggigoddess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Sucks! Just found out off of Peta's website that MYC tests on animals so no more contributing to that BS. Still trying to find out if Wet N Wild does, but more likely. These cosmetics lines maybe inexpensive, but is it really worth the health and life of innocent animals? NO!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/15/2003 5:00:00 PM More reviews by stak

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

What more can I say? This is good stuff. Keep reading for minor quibbles and why they don't really matter...My skin tends more to dryness than oiliness, so I really just use this to set my foundation in the morning and occasionally to touch up during the day. Nothing heavy-duty. The colour is indeed translucent; can look white at first, but blends in well. Yes, the compact is cheapy and ugly, but it's functional - good enough for me. I even think the crappy sponge is adequate. Because of the ridiculously low price, I bought a second one to keep in my purse permanently. Compared to the first, the powder seems a bit bumpy, but this doesn't really affect how it works or looks. Finally, the amount of product you get seems a bit small. I hit the pan after a month or so. I never hit the pan. But for $1.99 CDN, who cares?

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2003 2:54:00 AM More reviews by Obsessedwithmac2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I just don't get the hype. I don't hate this product, but I don't love it either.
It goes on smooth, keeps things matte for a while. Doesn't add a chalky cast to the face or make it look overly powdery. A good, basic powder, but I just prefer MAC blot, which is creamier and softer or something.
The puff thing that comes with this powder sucks, and the case is ugly. I would repurchase it if I was on a budget and couldn't afford MAC anymore. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2003 11:40:00 PM More reviews by lorien

I officially worship N.Y.C. Pressed Powder. I have Translucent and Naturally Beige and love both of them equally.

Pros: Excellent finish. Silky, soft, matte, yet not at all chalky. Controls oil perfectly yet not extremely drying. DIRT CHEAP, I mean, if you collect real dirt and press it to this amount, it'll cost a bit more, lol. Has a built-in adequate mirror.

Cons: Package sucks, along with cheapy sponge aplicator.

I use Cat's Kabuki Brush, or Chanel Le Petit Penseau(kabuki brush) to wear it and nobody can tell that I'm wearing a $1.99 powder. I've already stocked it up in case NYC EVER discontinue this little jem.