Garnier Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel-Cream

3.8

Aqua/Water, Glycerin, Alcohol Denat., Dimethicone, Isononyl Isononanoate, Carbomer, Dimethiconol, Chlorphenesin, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Vitis Vinifera Extract/Grapefruit Extract, Xanthan Gum, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Menthoxypropanediol, Magnesium Gluconate, Sodium Citrate, Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool, Calcium Gluconate, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, CI 19140/Yellow 5, CI 42090/Blue 1, Parfum/Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol. [September 2010]

on 7/6/2011 12:16:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I love the idea of a gel moisturizer and the glass container that the product comes in. However the packaging is not really anti-germ friendly. The product goes on really well yet after an hour it makes my face oily and shiny. It's better for me to use as a night cream rather than a day moisturizer because it lacks spf.

on 7/4/2011 1:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I'm cautious when it comes to buying drugstore creams as I've never been able to find one that doesn't cause issues with my skin and/or health (I'm talking about you Olay). After reading that this cream was similar to Clinique DDMG I returned my bottle of DDMG, as it was giving me blackheads like crazy, and rushed to grab a jar at my local Walgreens. I was hopeful since my oily skin really gets along well with gel based moisturizers. Upon opening the jar I noticed the lovely jade color of the cream and that it felt light and smooth. The smell though was off putting as my first thought was "cheap hairspray scent" and I wasn't too thrilled about that. When I applied this I only needed a pea size amount and that covered my whole face. Felt nice going on and looked like it was moisturizing my face well. My plan was to apply foundation over this later to see if it the two would work well together. I never got a chance to do this as after an hour I looked into the mirror to see that my skin looked like I'd rubbed a stick of butter all over it, it was so shiny! As the day went on the shininess got worse and it looked, like another poster here on MUA commented, like I'd wrapped my face in saran wrap! This cream looked like it was sitting ON my skin and never really sank in. Also the next morning I woke with little bumps all over my face and four deep acne marks on my neck that has taken a week to heal up with BHA. Awful! Before I returned this I tried blending a dab with my LM Secret Camo to use under my eyes and it worked well so that was a plus. When doing some online research I found that the second ingredient in this cream is denatured alcohol which is extremely drying to the skin and helps break down collagen over time. So in short the second ingredient in this cream, meaning that as second ingredient it makes up the majority of what the cream is made of, ages the skin. Why in the world would a company make a face cream that they advertise as helping the skin with an ingredient that ages the skin? Money I guess. If one cream ages you then they got another to sell you I bet. Also if your skin does not get along with silicones then keep far away from this cream as dimethicone is the 4th or 5th ingredient. You get what you pay for I guess and I don't need to even comment about it being in a jar. (note: I don't use my fingers to apply any creams that come in a jar. I have a small stainless steel utensil that I swab with rubbing alcohol to clean it before scooping out any jar face products.) The tag line for Garnier is "Take care." Yes, Garnier, I will take care! I will take care not to use this cream again! Thanks! ; ) EDIT 7/25/11 After the disaster of the Moisture Rescue Gel Cream I was inspired to find a good gel moisturizer my oily moody skin would agree with. I ended up finding a great gel moisturizer made by derma e called Pycnogenol Moisturizing Gel. It contains no silicones and is mostly water and aloe based and contains a pine(?) tree extract that calms red or easily irritated skin. That's been a winner for me. I'd recommend that to anyone who's skin didn't work out well the the Garnier gel cream. Not affiliated with derma e, just thought I'd pass on some helpful info. HTH

on 7/3/2011 4:47:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This moisturizer is quite light-weight so it's good for the warmer seasons. I like that it's oil-free so it absorbs easily into my skin without leaving a greasy trace or an oily film. I tend to get dry around my nose and this takes care of it. The gel texture isn't has thick as I thought it would be (think Aloe Vera Gel) and it has a clean fresh scent too.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

you know what?you put water and alcohol!!!
yes i loved it first,so fresh ,beautiful texture bu i didn't know that it has too much alcohol like all of the l'oreal owned companies.
its the same about l'oreal and vichy too,most of the products have too much alcohol and nothing interesting.I used l'oreal hydrafresh moisturizer sometime and the texure and color was good .in those time i didn't know anything about ingredients in cosmetics but remember texure or the way your skin feels isn't that much important ,you probably feel so good after eating a delicious hamburger or pizza!!:)

Love it! Use it night and day. Not to heavy at all but suprisingly moisturizing for how light it is. I have combination skin. It does not add any more oil to the oily parts but does moisturize the dry parts. I think I am on my 5th jar.

on 6/21/2011 1:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

It's really difficult to find something that doesn't break me out in the summer so I was pretty excited when I found this. The finish is a bit slimy and it creates an annoying shine throughout the day, but at least I felt safe with it--until I realized that it contained alcohol as a main ingredient. I suspected this was bad, so after that i only used it when I was real desperate. I guess that's a good thing, 'cause I recently read a disturbing review of this stuff on beautypedia.com.

It turns out that the amount of denatured alcohol in this stuff isn't just bad because it's irritating--it's actually damaging! Apparently, denatured alcohol causes free-radical damage--meaning it breaks down the collagen in your skin! Even if you don't usually care about ingredients and stuff, this is definitely worth considering. I mean free radical damage probably happens all the time, due to all sorts of other stuff (probably even just the air) but why do it on purpose? Especially with the way this stuff remains all wet and slimy throughout the day (kinda makes me wonder if it was "actively" damaging my skin the entire time it was on it!).

on 6/17/2011 12:26:00 AM

hmm, i can't find anything nice to say about this moisturizer... i found the name to be misleading with the word cream in it. i was thinking that it might be more substantial than the other cucmber watery moisturizers we're familiar with. unfortunately, there's nothing cream about it. it is a very light moisturizer. it leaves my skin feeling very tacky (most watery textured products are). i found myself using a big dollop of this to make my face feel better from the benzoyl peroxide i use to combat acne where i have used other moisturizers before that didn't require so much. i ran through the unsanitary jar in only 2 months using it once a day ( i use something different at night). i would not recommend this.

on 6/14/2011 1:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

This has made its way to HG status for me. Previously I was using Lush's Vanishing Cream and while I do love that product still, I was starting to notice that as my new skincare routine was balancing my face better and I had fewer very dry areas to keep hydrated, it would make my foundation slip a bit through the day. The moisture this provides is light, but it has been perfect for me, I get no breakouts from it, no irritation. I really like the light cucumbery scent this has and how it is very cool on the skin. Works perfectly under my MAC PP SPF 50 when I need that for the super hot days, but also work wonderfully on its own under my foundation. It is cheap and easy to find at any drug store or Target, Walmart, etc. I don't like jars as much as pumps for the sanitary reasons, but I am ordering an airless pump bottle to transfer the gel into so I can solve that problem. Love this product to pieces.

on 6/13/2011 5:58:00 PM

good light moisturizer. the packaging is unhygienic which is a draw back and its a little expensive however i can usually find it on sale at my local SDM for around $8. i find that when i apply it right out of the shower that it sinks in more but if i just wash my face it almost feels like it takes longer to sink in. it would be nice if it had mattifying properties.

on 6/8/2011 8:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

So here's the deal on this... it's very silicone-heavy and silicones make me break out. I can't use it too many days in a row all over my face or I get clogged pores. Plus, it actually feels kind of weird on my face. It is indeed "refreshing" but once it soaks in my face feels tight yet moisturized, like someone wrapped plastic wrap around my face. I have found 2 excellent uses for it though: eye cream and sunburn reliever. I have really bad puffy eyes from not sleeping enough and this fixes that instantly, especially when I keep this in the fridge. I use it morning and night around my eye area. I am prone to eczema on my eyelids and I have had no issues with it since I started using this. The gel texture of this is great for wearing it around the eyes under makeup because it isn't greasy so it won't cause your makeup to smudge. In addition, I somehow managed to get sunburned on just one shoulder (my first sunburn since the 8th grade) and in desperation I applied this on it and it felt better by morning. For $6 I will always have this on hand, even if I don't actually use it as a facial moisturizer very often.

Popular Moisturizers