Castor Oil

4.4

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 8/6/2009 6:05:00 PM

Castor oil will thicken your eyebrows/eyelashes! I will tell you a beauty secret we have here, in Greece : trim a very little part of the tip of eyelashes. Then apply castor oil -some people use vaseline or olive oil too- on your eyelashes/brows with your fingers -do not forget to wash your hands before applying it- or with a clean mascara brush. Keep the oil overnight and wash it off in the morning with a gentle eye makeup remover (I personally use Cetaphil, my dermatologist advised me to do so). Removing it is necessary as it may attract dirt and can easily spoil the effect. Trim your eyelashes once a month and apply CO on your lashes/brows 3 times a week and trust me, you will love the result!
One thing you should avoid, though, is to use castor oil on face/neck. It promotes facial hair growth. So be careful!
I told my dermatologist that I use castor oil on eyelashes-and olive oil instead of an eye cream-- and she advised me to stop using it -and all kinds of oils-on the delicate and sensitive epidermis of eyes as it loosens its elasticity, as she said. That was a huge disappointment to me as I used this product religiously. I stopped using CO for several months, however, now I have started using it again sometimes but quite sparingly (in the winter, I use castor oil as a hair mask too!). What has worked really great on me, is actually the trimming. I could never imagine how well it could work!

on 7/29/2009 8:14:00 PM

I got a bottle of castor oil for about $3 at Walgreen's, and I love it. I use a q-tip to apply it to my lashes and brows at night, and when I wake up, my lashes still look lush. Applying mascara only highlights the effect, and I've noticed that I no longer lose any lashes when I remove my eye makeup at night. In the morning, I swipe just my brows with the castor oil, then brush a bit of brown shadow through them. I'm left with naturally glossy, healthy looking brows that stay put all day. It's amazing I didn't try this before -- I condition the hair on top of my head, how did I go this long without conditioning my lashes and brows!

on 7/19/2009 5:55:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I got a huge bottle of this on sale at HEB. I used to use it on my hair, but then had gotten out of the habit. After reading the reviews on its benefits for eyelashes and eyebrows I had to try it, and it was an overnight success! My lashes looked like false ones when I put on mascara the next day. Just think how different foundation looks on a moisturized face vs. dry skin. It COMPLETELY changes it. Its super cheap, so its worth a shot. If you don't like it you can always keep it around as a laxative :)

(haha.....I was curious on how it worked because I had never tried a laxative before, so I tried it, and believe you me it works! I guess its something you probably shouldn't do if you don't need to, but if you are in need....just reach for the castor oil!)

on 7/10/2009 10:21:00 PM

Eyes: Violet

Based on the reviews, I bought castor oil (nothing fancy, just Walgreen's brand) for my lashes. After about two months, applying it maybe twice a week with a cotton swab, my lashes are longer and seem stronger. It's also done wonders for my cuticles and nails. The bottle tends to get a little messy, but it's a small price to pay.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

So the castor oil that I purchased is called Jamaican Black Castor Oil. I believe the main difference between this and what other people might have is that it is dark in color, very very thick, and has a smokey smell to it. The only place that I use this is on my hair as an oil treatment and it does wonders for conditioning and thickening my hair. I really love this product.

Quick take: great lash conditioner. I heard about castor oil promoting lash growth so I though I'd give it a try. My lashes are long with medium thickness. Overall, I like my lashes but mascara can make them dry over time making them look thinnner and shorter. I have used Vaseline in the past with success. I also use Mavala, Talika, and Ardell lash conditioners; all of which worked well. Castor oil has been the best conditioner of all the ones I've tried and the cheapest. I don't think it stimulates hair growth but I do think it keeps the lashes healthy so that they can reach their full potential.

I use my finger to dab along my lash line and onto the length of my lashes. A little goes a long way!

Other uses: This also makes an awesome cuticle conditioner and a nice nighttime lip balm.

on 6/18/2009 5:17:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I like it, i don't use it exclusive to my brows because i know will never grow as Frida Khalo again...But it's good moisturiser to my dry skin, i use at night, it's too sticky! but works, i don't care i cannot to kiss my hubby before sleep he,he...

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

I am reviewing this as a component in my cleansing oil. Find it very odd that some are using (and having success with!) this straight as a hair growth promoter, since it makes up about 25-40% of my facial cleansing oil! It is the component that provides the actual "cleansing" function of the oil - the others work too but more for moisturizing. I use a higher concentration for oilier girls and a lower concentration for dryer types. Castor oil has wonderful cleansing properties to it and is pretty easily available and cheap. Super!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

After reading this on MUA, I decided to give this a try. I can never arch my brows the way I wanted it to because my brows end at the same point where my outer corners of my eyes are. I started slathering castor oil to where I want my brows' ends to be with q-tips, and the rest of the oil that is left on my inner brows and my eyelashes. By slatering on my eyelashes, I mean I just wipe the q-tip across my eyelids.

I have been doing this for 3 weeks, and I am happy to say that this method has worked for me and I have baby hairs growing out at my brows' ends making it "longer". (And I don't even do it every night, maybe every other night.) There's only a few of them now, but everyone knows even one eyebrow plucked wrong can change the whole brow arch! Now I am able to slowly shape my arch.

As for my lashes, because I actually wipe the oil on my entire eye, I am having new growth as well. But while making my eyelashes longer, some are growing 1 to 2 mm above my eyelashes. This freaks me out a bit, because I want my lashes to remain at the edge of my eyelids!! So now I am gently coating just my eyelashes and the roots of my eyelashes.

on 5/27/2009 11:40:00 PM

This stuff WORKS! I have been using it for the past few months and have definite lash growth as a result. You can even SEE the little lashes that are on the way! I use a disposable mascara wand to apply at night only. The big bottle will take forever to get through, and at $5 a pop, it's incredibly economical. I haven't tried this on my brows, but for lashes it is terrific! HIGHLY recommend!

Popular Brows Products