4.3

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 1/10/2010 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Since i cut my hair very short and regret it :( after much research i found out that CO is the best thing to make your hair grow faster.. well i though why not give it a go got nothing 2 lose!! so been using it and it HAS definitly made my hair so at last about 2inches in only 3weeks also have been using it on my eyelashes it has made them grow a little bit and definitly made them much more thicker. I LOVE IT. if you have any questions just ask me hope i can help..by the way its my 1st time on here :D

UPDATE: Today i have been having a GOOD look at my eyelashes and guess what they have GROWN SO MUCH MORE!!! i am over the moon and also i have noticed a few more lashes too :D

on 1/9/2010 11:43:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I was very skeptical about using castor oil for growing lashes, but I had a bottle that I use for cleansing so figured why not--if nothing else the oil would probably be good for the skin around the eyes. I already had fairly long lashes, about average thickness. I would use a dropper to place a drop on my index finger then rub into lashes. Easy enough to do as a last thing before hopping into bed. I've been doing this a couple of nights a week (I tend to forget, so probably use it 5 nights a week) and sure enough, much to my surprise my lashes are indeed longer. I don't notice that they are thicker, but they are becoming a bit of a problem with hitting the lenses of my glasses.

I never would have believed it if I hadn't experienced this myself, but the lashes are without a doubt longer. Who would have thought it--I certainly did not!

on 1/1/2010 9:37:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

A household staple. Castor oil has been used in my family forever and will always be in my arsenal of products. I use Home Health castor oil and also Jamaican black castor oil from Sams 247. Regular (clear) castor oil is great for growing back eyebrows, thickening eyelashes and softening skin. I use a q tip to apply sparingly at night. Jamaican Black castor oil is for my hair and grows back thinning edges, bald spots, and generally thickens up hair. I massage the black castor oil into my scalp a few times a week. It is very thick and smells like burnt peanuts but it works! It could also be used as a pre-poo treatment, oil rinse, or hot oil treatment. Castor oil is a wonderful multi-tasking oil and it's benefits are many.

on 12/11/2009 3:00:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

It is cheap and it has been used even in the eye area from ancient time, I guess. So, it s safe!
In may case it worked both for eyelashes and eyebrows. I also use it as a eyemakeup remover.
Update 1 21.03.10: I am still using this. Is the best eye makeup remover ever. If this dosent work for you another thing you can try is a bisabolol.

on 12/10/2009 7:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

It works! i dont know about others, but it works on me. I am sooo happy! I have very very sparse and light eyebrows. I have tried a lot of methods trying to let it grow more or darker. but neither of them worked. after i saw reviews here, i was like, oh, at least try. so i bought one bottle of castor oil in cvs and after 3 or 4 days of useing on both of my brows and eyelashes, i found out that my eyelashes are more thick. i always lost 3 or 4 lashes when i removed my eyemake but after using this oil, i rarely lost any lash anymore. i am so glad about that. and importantly, my eyebrows get somewhat darker also! i wont say it changes my brows color dramatically but my brows do get darker. and they are more than before. happy happy. HOWEVER, I found out that it cannot make your brows continue growing. after one month of using this oil, my brows and lashes are just like that. no more changes.

on 11/24/2009 9:48:00 PM

Ok, so I've always heard about castor oil and vaseline for eyelash growth, but never really bought into the hype. But just browsing through the MUA product reviews, I came across the reviews for castor oil. I found a bottle in my local discount drug store (in the laxative section) and it was around $2, so I decided to give it a try.
After two weeks, I am really surprised this has worked!!! My lashes reach almost to my eyebrows when curled!! I'm still not really sure how this works. I have googled it to try and get a more scientific explanation, but most sites just dismiss it, but it definitely works. It might just be that it softens the lashes to make them more flexible and less inclinded to break or something, I really don't know, but it makes them grow long.
I wouldn't really say they are any thicker, and the same for my eyebrows are still kind of uneven, but I've only done it for 2 weeks, so I will update if that changes. Also, did not cause and skin condition.
I will def continue to use this!

on 11/18/2009 4:51:00 PM

So - here is my story of my hunt for long, thick, lush lashes:

I have blonde, short eyelashes, average amount. I figured I was just destined to never have fabulous lashes, even w/ my HG mascaras. Then, I did some reading here on MUA. There are a lot of lash growth options, some cheap, some $$$$. I can't afford $$$$, so I thought I'd start at the bottom and work my way up.

I started w/ Ardell (see my separate review). I then moved up to Mavala Double Lash (see my separate review). Rapidlash was my 3rd attempt w/ a lash growth product (see my seperate review.) While I love it, it is $$.

So, approx 3 weeks ago, I started an experiment w/ GoW castor oil on my left lashes and Rapidlash on my right. Results = both are FABULOUS!!!!! I can actually SEE a difference!!! WHEEEE!!! :) Definite increase in lash length and thickness. I haven't seen any darkening or any curling (I don't need a curling effect, and I'm happy to use mascara) so these 2 non-occurances do not bother me in the least. W/ just 1 coat mascara - BAM - I have A LOT of LONG eyelashes!!!

I have not experienced any skin irritations w/ the castor oil. The only thing I have to be careful of is to use SPARINGLY or I end up w/ oil in my eye. I lightly dip a q-tip into the bottle, then press it along the inside of the bottle to squeeze out most of it and then apply to my upper lashes. Repeat w/ other end of q-tip for lower lashes.

I can BARELY tell the difference between my eyes - the Rapidlash lashes are a teeny tiny bit longer, but seriously, I have to REALLY strain to see the difference. I am going to keep up my experiment for a while longer, but if the castor oil continues to perform like this, I won't re-purchase Rapidlash and save myself $50 as this bottle I got from GoW will last me the next 10 years since this is all I'm using it for :)

UPDATE 12/21/09 - castor oil works as well as Rapidlash, IME! :)

UPDATE 07/21/10 - helpful hint - if I apply castor to my eyelashes at night, the following morning, I now swipe my eyelashes w/ Sonia Kashuk eye m/u remover to get every last trace of the oil gone = no more problems w/ my mascaras giving me raccoon eyes...:)

UPDATE 09/02/10 - LOVE that I now have it in a BNIP unused mascara container = much easier than using q-tip or finger - I have several extra up for swap if interested.

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

This is a HG product and has been a staple in my life even before I was born because my mother used to take Castor Oil mixed in juice when she had morning sickness during her pregnancy with me. Also, whenever I had a upset stomach as a child my mother gave me the Castor Oil & juice mixture and my stomach ache soon went away and I still use Castor Oil in this way although now I just take it straight for the taste doesn't bother me...much for I hold my nose and just swallow it quickly and follow it with a lots of water.

Also, one of the best qualities is that it was wonderful hair growing properties. I use it on my eyelashes to keep them lush, soft and healthy since I prefer to wear waterproof mascara; on my eyebrows when I have gaps and/or when I mistakenly over pluck/thread them; and I use it on my hairline and hair to grow the hair on my head. As for the latter method, since Castor Oil is very thick, I dilute it with jojoba oil and other essential oils to boost the hair growing properties of the essential oils mixture and it has worked wonders. My hair has literally grown 3 inches in a little more than 4 months by applying this mixture to my scalp and hair twice day, everyday and I am a woman of color with course relaxed 4A/4B hair which is 13+ weeks post-relaxing as of the date of this review -- and my hair is super soft and moisturized, especially my new growth and the ends of my hair.

Castor Oil is an awesome HG product and I am never without and IMHO is must have oil for everyone.

on 11/14/2009 3:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been using this on my eyelashes & eyebrows for little over a month now & i can see a huge difference!!! My eyelashes were already long, but now they're so much softer, and a lot more volume! My eyebrows werent too bad..they could be just a little bit fuller... & the castor oil really did do the trick!

I have also used the castor oil for the OCM (oil cleansing method). I steam my face & massage the oil on my face for 5-10 mins. i go back & forth with this, from steaming my face with a hot rag, and massaging the oil. I finish off my wiping the oil off of my face with a rag & then splashing my face with cold water to close my pores. I am VERY OILY SKIN & i am acne prone...believe me ladies...try this! MY face is sooo smooth & i have noticed that my redness has gone down a tad bit! when i do this, i can feel my pores purging all of the gunk out and onto my face! My blackheads on my nose & chin are barely there anymore!!! A couple times when you do this, you might break out for a week or two, but after that my skin has been very clear!!

on 11/7/2009 2:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have been using this product for about 2 months now on my eyelashes and I don't think it has helped my lashes grow. I have been using this every night. I will continue to use this to see if there will be any difference down the line but for now I think castor oil just helps to maybe condition lashes. It's good to know that it has helped some people's lashes grow. I already have long eyelashes but I just wanted really fully eyelashes. I guess you could say I was aiming for the false eye lash effect. Maybe it works for some but not others. This stuff is cheap so give it a try. You have nothing to loose.

UPDATE***
I have stopped using this product b/c causes me to get styes (sp). I didn't realize that this was causing the styes until I read somewhere that castor oil can do that. I now use olive oil on my eyelashes and so far no styes.

Popular Brows Products