August 28, 2014 | 1626 users online

Masks - Yogurt Mask

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2008 10:01:00 AM More reviews by scheda

I love this as a mask. I use buy the full fat Greek yogurts from the natural food store. And I don't add anything. I apply it using a circular motion, and make sure it gets absorbed into the skin, and leave it on for 5 min. It leaves my skin smooth and velvety, with a slight glow, and color in the cheeks. This is amazing. I think it works well for balancing combination skin. If you face is too dry or too oily, this might not be the mask for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2008 10:49:00 PM More reviews by iarejanet

After reading reviews on MUA, I decided to give the yogurt mask a try. I decided to use the FAGE 2% yogurt.

As directed, I took a few spoonfuls of yogurt, added a few drops of EVOO, and a glob of honey..mixed it and applied it to my face for about 20-30 minutes.

After washing it off, my acne calmed down. The red marks were not as noticeable and my skin was soft.

I really like the thickness of the FAGE yogurt, the mask had great staying power. (I didn't have to worry about yogurt falling off my face)

I will def. repurchase and try the mask again.

I folllowed the advice of one fellow MUAer and poked a hole in a Vitamin E capsule...smeared the oil on my face.

I will update if I see more positive results.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2008 1:55:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

I really like this mask and am thankful to everyone who have posted their experiences and recipes thus far. This mask was very easy to concoct: a tablespoon or two of nonfat yogurt (because that was the kind I had in the fridge), a squeeze of lemon juice, a generous dollop of honey (the kind that comes in a bear, because I don't have fancier varieties on hand). I smeared the goop onto my face, then left it on for about 25 minutes (the timing is due to the fact that I was watching Hillary's speech at the DNC). I did have to keep a paper towel under my face because I was sitting at a table and was afraid of dripping, but no problems otherwise (it didn't drip into my eyes or anything). The yogurt scent didn't bother me at all. Especially after using more noxious face masks like the Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque (sulfur + mint = stinky).

I then rinsed it off with warm water and my skin felt fabulous! Usually exfoliating treatments will leave my skin smooth, but also a bit shiny and sometimes even red, but the yogurt mask left my skin petal-soft and semi-matte afterwards, with not even a hint of irritation or redness. I couldn't stop touching my face--the skin was so silky!

Of course, the results are not dramatic. It won't fade marks right away or diminish pores since the lactic acid in the yogurt is not that strong compared to glycolic acid. But it's a great, gentle exfoliating mask for people with drier skin (and a good prep for subsequent masks or treatments...now that I know about this, I won't repurchase Zia's Enzyme Mask).

I have combination skin that's been a little drier lately due to the unusually cool and dry August weather. I also use Tazorac almost every night so my skin is also thinner and more sensitive now. I've found that if you use effective skin treatments, then masks become sort of an afterthought and not something to spend a lot of money on. So the best part of this mask is how inexpensive and easy it is to make and to tweak to fit with your skin. If you're drier, add more honey and skip the lemon juice, or add aloe vera, (brown) sugar and/or rolled oats. If you're acne-prone, then you can add some crushed aspirin and/or clay powder. The possibilities are limited only by your creativity and the contents of your kitchen! continued >>

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2008 2:44:00 AM More reviews by sosuga

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm a believer, thank you MUA once again for introducing me to a secret I wish I'd known years ago. Full-fat yogurt as a mask is unbelievable. The lactic acid is perfect for a little exfoliation and it feels soo good to apply to the skin. Yes its goopy and messy but its a tiny trade off for the benefits it provides: silky, plump, radiant skin. I mix it with honey and olive oil, or if I am in a hurry I just slap on some straight from the fridge - either is fantastic. I love love LOVE this...and I have very tempermental skin...acne prone and combination - its a nightmare really. But this mask is beautiful in assisting me maintain a healthy face. WOW...and yes you really should use the FULL fat, just do a search online and see for yourself - the low fat and non-fat is not as beneficial.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2008 11:17:00 AM More reviews by jennieclma

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Amazing! Don't know what took me so long to try this out, but I'm so happy I finally did! I have extremely oily skin, and some old acne mark, and I am prone to redness and breakout during period of stress/hormonal flunctuation. I was a bit concern that the yogurt (i used greek, less runny) would be too oily and may cause clogged pores and breakout. On the contrary, it left my skin velvety smooth and perfectly BALANCED! I add in some honey and orange juice to give it some kick. I'll continue using this recipe 2-3x a week to see if it'll keep my hormonal breakout at bay later this month. I'm also hoping it will help clear up some clogged pores on the side of my face. Usually they seem to never go away unless it suddenly becomes inflamed and turns into a full-blown white head. Hope this mask will solve this problem!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2008 4:06:00 PM More reviews by deborahmh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Just wonderful. I was poking around on this site looking for a mask to buy and I read the reviews for the yogurt mask and I said to myself "what the heck-try it out". So I went to Whole Foods and I bought unflavored Greek yogurt (organic) and I bought a bag of oat flour(also organic). I mixed the mask up to a consistency that I liked (somewhat pasty) and I added a speck of water and a couple of drops of lavender. I left it on my skin for about 10 to 15 minutes and WOW, my skin looked and felt fantastic. I put the remainder in the fridge and used it again a few days later with the same results. I have sensitive skin and I usually cant use something so "fresh" but this works wonders on my skin. I will use this all the time now. I really suggest that you try it also. It really did wonders on my pimples besides.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2008 3:26:00 PM More reviews by ComplexBeauty09

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Green

Well, it's that time a year. When I pull out the facial masks and start getting my skin ready for the weather change. Finally went to the store and bought myself a tub of Dannon's All Natural pain yogurt. I plan on using this all winter long. This took me a while to try as a facial treatment 1) because I don't like yogurt (to eat that is) and 2) I have a problem with the smell of yogurt too (smells to me like sour milk!). I over came all that, and so happy I did! It really does do everything I hoped it would do for my skin. Brightens, softens, moisturizes, and helps with little breakouts. After using it a couple of times, I did some research on what can be added in with yogurt for other benefits. Many possibilities came up, lemon juice, honey, oatmeal, chickpea flour, aspirin tablets, and Vitamin E.. the list goes on. I decided to go with the ingredients of grounded oats, honey and a drop of ylang ylang essential oil.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2008 9:19:00 PM More reviews by moorkitty

This is a pretty amazing product for the price. I mix in a little bit of honey and apply while I'm in the tub to freshly cleansed skin. Lately, even my Aveda mask has seemed somewhat irritating, and using the yogurt mask is so soothing. The lactic acids seem to eat away the little flakies and my skin looks great afterwards, like getting 12 hours' of sleep. I always keep yogurt around, but seem to forget to use this on my face, and really need to make a conscious effort to do so. I imagine you can add nearly anything to add to this mask, ground oatmeal, almond meal, lemon, essential oils etc. but I like it with just the honey, which I purchase from a local beekeeper. Good enuf to eat!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/15/2008 12:16:00 AM More reviews by onceuponatime

I really love the idea of this-- it's a natural treatment that hasn't been processed or stuffed with chemicals-- it's one ingredient. I love the idea of a cheap chemical exfoliant of lactic acid. I love the ideaaaaa (even if it's kinda gross) but frankly I haven't seen enough of a difference in my complexion to call it HG.

It does feel nice. I like mixing it with a little honey and spreading a very thin layer on my face. The only place I can feel a significant difference is on my lips-- maybe this kind of exfoliation works best there?

Updates are coming up on its effectiveness.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2008 9:36:00 PM More reviews by e_L_L_e

this is such a great product!!! it leaves my acne-prone sensitive skin so even, smooth, and flake-free. it's just incredible with redness and irritations. the lactic acid gently exfoliates and the fat/cream in the yogurt moisturizes amazingly. i like to apply a thick layer before a shower (as it is messy and will get onto hair), leave it on till it dries, sometimes i will apply another layer, and finally wash it off in the shower. make sure to buy not fat-free plain yogurt with no starch (the starch will harden and is uncomfortable on the skin). a tub of yogurt itself is not expensive, but it becomes rather pricy at 4-5 bucks every 3 weeks and i've only used like 1/4 of the tub. so i'm only gonna repurchase for when my skin becomes irritated.