October 24, 2014 | 1611 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Gentle Skin Cleanser

rated 2 of 5 on 6/20/2007 9:11:00 PM More reviews by anabannana

It dried my skin out, but it didn't make it red.My skin felt like it was soft, but soo dry. I bought this cleanser because it was always in magazines, it got great reviews everywhere online, so for a while I used it. It works good, but wayyy too drying.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/19/2007 12:33:00 PM More reviews by rabidfangirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I started using Cetaphil at the advice of my dermatologist when I started using retin-a micro. I moisturize morning and night to counteract dry skin and the drying effects of retin-a. As soon as Cetaphil touches my face, it burns immediately and leaves my face dry and tight. My Dove bar doesn't irritate at all. So much for a gentle cleanser. There has to be something in it that is making my sensitive skin react.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/19/2007 4:39:00 AM More reviews by Kirabunny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Cetaphil is the only cleanser that doesn't make my sensitive skin bright red and itchy! I love it! Although it's not the holy grail of face cleansers, it's the only thing that I've ever used that didn't irritate my skin.I'll continue to buy this product until I find something better. So far, it's been two years and counting...

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2007 10:17:00 PM More reviews by saralangford

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product does what it says it will: cleans well without drying out my skin. It's just as effective as Clinique's face wash and is considerably cheaper. One bottle lasts me for three or so months. I have combination skin and used to get terrible break-outs on my chin and forehead. That doesn't happen anymore since I've started cleansing with Cetaphil and using duac gel at night. It doesn't do anything magical like even out my skin tone or make me look "radiant," but I haven't found a product yet that lives up to that claim!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/18/2007 7:00:00 AM More reviews by the_heartless

Works well, not too harsh but tends to dry my skin out a bit.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2007 11:55:00 PM More reviews by jaylb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was having a horrible time with my skin so I switched to this hoping that a gentler cleanser was in order. This removes all my makeup and is very gentle. My skin has cleared up considerably which could also be from using witch hazel as a toner, but I do like this and find it a great basic cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2007 10:48:00 PM More reviews by sugahxpops

So gentle, it's like I'm washing my face with silk.

I can't believe I spent all this time NOT using this!

Cheap, gentle, big bottles.

Love it!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/17/2007 4:46:00 PM More reviews by elisabethlaw

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I started using this cleaser after my dermatologist told me to. After the birth of my child- my flawless, perfect skin started breaking out for the first time in my life. I went to a dermatologist and he prescribed this and Retin-A. Both of which dried my skin out. I stopped using Retin-A and continued to use Cetaphil and my skin was still terribly dry.

I finally found a great estethcian who referred me to an allergist. Turns out- I was having major sensitivites to some things. Quit those and also quit using Cetaphil. My skin is now clear again and on track to being moisturized.

I never really felt as if my face got "clean" with Cetaphil. I figure for normal skin without problems, it is a great cleanser. But for my sensistive skin, it wasn't working.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2007 4:19:00 AM More reviews by Chloe2211

Love this stuff. Great price, great smell, great everything! I have combination skin and I use the one for normal to oily skin- the one that is a gel consistency. Best stuff ever!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2007 12:53:00 PM More reviews by coriforia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This cleanser is interesting. I have very sensitive skin and so sometimes when I try new products I get really bad allergic reactions. If I switch to this cleanser, it clears up my irritation almost immediately - BUT if I continue using it for long then I get these odd red bumps. Only one or two on my face, but it is odd. I've been using this cleanser on and off for years, and it happens every time! I think its the SLS but who knows. So I always keep some on hand for the rare irritation, but I only use it until the irritation is gone then go back to my normal cleanser.

I have read a lot of negative reviews from people who tried this who have oily skin. If you have oily skin, perhaps this isn't the best for you and you may want to try Cetaphil's other cleanser for oily/combination skin. I have had friends with oily skin who much prefer the one for the oily/combination. Although, I have combo skin and I can use this and feel fine, everyone is different :o)

One note: it is not the best at removing make-up, especially the long lasting waterproof stuff or foundation. If you use an eye makeup remover and washcloth though, it helps.

In summary, if you have sensitive and irritated skin, this is great to use!