Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Either you love this or you hate it. Takes some getting used to a product that doesn't have suds, but it was recommended by my dermatologist when I started to use Retin-A. Very gentle and does not leave my skin feeling tight. Reasonably priced, readily available, not irritating- I'm a fan.

Meh. It didn't do much for my skin, and really didn't remove my makeup like I wanted. Then again, back then I was using waterproof mascara and you need a chisel to get that mess off! It didn't make my skin any worse, but it didn't make it any better either. I have eczema, which tends to flare up on my face at times, and it DID keep that at bay, but...meh. Now that I'm in a different climate, I may go back to it since my face has broken out like it's never broken out before -- yikes!

I just don't get it: this is recommended by dermatologists, other reviewers, blah blah blah..people seem to love it, but it just doesn't DO anything good. It's like the "Great Lash" of cleansers...who are the people that dig this stuff?? I like the whole purity & gentleness shtick, and the minimalist packaging is easy to handle, it's not fragranced which is nice, BUT IT DOESN"T CLEAN MY FACE: doesn't TOUCH makeup, and leaves an oily film on my face which is supposed to be okay but kind of icks me out. I've tried sticking with it for a few weeks, thinking maybe my skin needed to get acclimated to it, but it just left me clogged and oily. Yuck. It's only $6-$8 on sale at Target, but I'll pay 2x-3x for something that removes makeup and cleans my skin without drying OR making it more oily.
However, I will probably repurchase, not only because it's good for my toddler's summer-rash prone skin, but because someday, maybe I'll just get what the hype is all about (but not today!).

I used to use this as a young teenager when i started breaking out, but soon moved on to fancier cleansers. 7 years later, I've gone back to using this cleaner. The mistake i made in the past was thinking that cleansers should treat my acne, but in fact, cleansers can't do anything more than clean your skin and shouldn't causing further irritation. If your doesn't cause acne and redness and clams your skin instead, you've got yourself a great cleanser. i recently started using Cetaphil again and found that my skin is actually behaving rather well, which means the foamy cleansers I've been using in the past really were too harsh for my skin, even though i wasn't aware of it. Don't expect to have squeaky clean skin with Cetaphil, your skin will still have a thin film of oil over it but that doesn't mean it's bad. In fact, it helps your skin heal a lot quicker and prevents it from drying out (which will cause acne). I use a full pump of this, which may seem like too much, but since it isn't a foaming cleanser, you'll need more to get it around your face and lift off dirt. If you read up on people who use conditioner instead of shampoo to clean their hair, they use loads of conditioner to do that, i figured it's probably the same principle with this non-foaming cleanser too. So don't skimp on the amount you use! By the way, i still use a foaming cleanser on days i use makeup to ensure everything comes off, which is what you don't want to do every time you cleanse your skin, that's where Cetaphil comes in. Will buy again!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My skin seems to be doing a complete turn-around these days. Probably since I'm getting older :( Anyway, my skin is always prone to the oilies and clogged pores, even during those winter months when it gets dry. Lately I've been more on the dry side than anything. I've tried so many different cleansers in the hopes of finding something that is gentle enough for my skin, yet removes my make-up without being too harsh. I was using Clinque's Extra Mild Liquid Cleanser and thought I found my HG and then on a whim I tried Cetaphil. Cetaphil is now my HG. Its super-gentle but still removes my make-up without drying. The only thing I wish it would come in a pump style bottle because the pop top style is a little of a pain.

I absolutely love this product. I wait for it to go on sale and then buy multiple bottles. I have rosacea and this is gentle enough to not aggravate my skin.

I even use it on my infant son.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

My derm recommended this to me a few years ago to use on my skin when it's breaking out. I find that when I use this, the inflammation looks like it's calmed down after a few uses. I'm pretty sure it's the lack of irritating ingredients that keeps my skin from getting worse. Anyway I'll be sure to keep using this if my skin breaks out again.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

Cetaphil cleanser does not foam, or suds, but does an excellent job of cleansing sensitive, acne-prone, combination, and normal skin. The best advantage of this product is that is simply cleans, and nothing else. Often times, cleansers have other ingredients that help with acne/dry/oily skin and this is great for just removing bacteria. Cetaphil products are great to create a clean slate before working with other topical treatments, or to use alone. It is true that it "calms" your skin...because it's not doing all of this unecessary stuff to it when its irritated, but still removes bacteria.

I like the "squeaky clean" feeling, and this doesn't give that. So this is a favorite, but I don't use any one cleanser all the time. I'm not so lucky. :) I have to alternate cleansers for my face as my skin dictates, just as I alternate b/w moisturizing/protein shampoos & conditioners as my hair dictates.

When there are no problems associated with your skin, I also highly recommend this for makeup removal. I think its most effective placing in your hand, then rubbing on a dry face (don't wet it first, otherwise you will create a barrier b/w your makeup and the cleanser). You can then either tissue off, and rinse, or rinse. Because I use thickening mascara, I like to tissue off around my eyes to ensure all remnants are gone.

Also...you get TONS of cleanser and the price is reasonable. A good staple product to have, right next to the EVOO.

Side note: For those that like the sudsing, the Daily Facial Cleanser is gentle, very effective, with sudsing properties. :)

I love this cleanser, it won't make my skin dry and tight like the regular soap does. My son has an eczema and this is the only soap he can use.

I can't use this because i find it just doesn't *clean* my skin. I need something that will take off my MU and clean any oil. This is not a harsh cleanse, its very soothing, but i just need something that will clean my skin, not just take off my MU and soothe. Also, it breaks me out every time I try using it again, because i fall back into thinking that I should try something gentle, not that I use anything harsh. Its cheap, comes in a big bottle, but just doesn't cut it for me.