Laura Mercier Secret Concealer

3.8

Petrolatum, Lanolin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Retinyl Palmitate, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Paraffin, Propylparaben. /- [May contain]: Titanium Dioxide (Cl 77891), Iron Oxides (Cl 77491, Cl 77492, Cl 77499), Ultramarines (Cl 77007).

on 11/4/2007 12:27:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This is one of the few products that I have actually repurchased. I have been using this concealer for years (I'm NC 35 in MAC, and I have the #2 shade), and I can't imagine NOT using it. It looks very natural and doesn't look like I'm wearing obvious concealer. To apply, I use a small pointy brush and then blend gently with my ring finger and then set with loose powder (see below for that).

The greatest things about this product are 1) texture: soft, creamy, blends easily 2) pot-style container lets you use every last bit and 3) very little product is actually needed to do the job. I use this every day and one pot lasts me almost a year, so for $28 USD, it's a good value.

Lately, I have noticed that this concealer settles in fine lines if I don't apply loose powder correctly after I've put it on. Someone mentioned that they apply loose powder w/ a concealer brush, so I might try that, but I used to apply loose powder with a sponge and press it gently under my eyes to set it. I have never used any LM powders, so I don't know if they are better than MAC for this purpose.

Other than that, I really do like this concealer, and I have stopped looking for my HG, because as far as I'm concerned, this is it!

on 10/5/2007 11:34:00 AM

love this concealor. a woman at sephora put some secret brightener on me, but i hesitated on buying the concealor because of the price. so when i went home, i put on my usual mac NC30 concealer and realized that the lm one was much better. i bought the lm undercover duo (it's half secret camoflage and half secret concealor) because i don't use that much of it - it's highly pigmented but creamy and moist. yes, its a bit of work using a concealor brush to apply but now that i'm reaching my mid 30s, a little work is a small price to pay for looking so well rested! compared to my mac liquid concealor, the secret concealor is much more moisturizing and does not cake. i use a light hand and wait a few minutes before deciding to apply more. mac leaves me looking a bit yellow under the eyes, while lm makes me look bright-eyed. not bad for someone who regularly gets only 5hrs of sleep a night! i dust the slightest bit brightening powder over it, and i get a well-moisturized, bright eyes all day long - its my new HG!

on 10/1/2007 10:15:00 PM

Background Information: I'm an NC15 (pale with yellow undertones), and I purchased this in the lightest color (#1). I have some fine lines and mild dark circles. I live in Asia, so the climate is extremely hot and humid.

Review: I have to admit that the orange color in the pot was terrifying because I am VERY pale. =P However, I only use a tiny amount of this concealer, and it looks perfectly natural in sunlight. Some of the other reviewers mentioned that this starts to crease (or work itself into fine lines) before they even put powder on top of it, which is what I also have experienced. However, I just pat a little bit more right before I put on powder, and there's no more creasing all day (even in this crazy humid weather).

I apply the concealer after letting my eye and face moisturizers sink in for a few minutes, and I use my fingers to pat it on. I don't pat too much on all at once, since this is a concealer that works much better with layering (light and thin laters). Like I have already mentioned, it just takes a little bit of product--too much and it will definitely be cakey and work into fine lines. I guess there's a bit of a learning curve to this product, because it took me a few tries to perfect the application. I am quite happy with this concealer, because it doesn't dry out my eye skin like other concealers, and it is very long-lasting.

I would definitely repurchase, however, I don't know when I will need to because one pot will last for a very long time.

2008/09/26 Edit: It is now almost one year since I left this review, and I've used it every single day, and there is still more than 75% left in the pot! I will definitely repurchase 2 years from now ;)

on 9/18/2007 9:16:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I've never used LM products because they all seem to have an orange undertone that doesn't work with my skin color. This was no exception. I found the consistency, coverage, and staying power to be very similar to Bobbi Brown, but BB has more color choices. Ultimately, I prefer the Three Custom Color custom blend, it's similar in consistency, but I think it lasts longer than the others and it's the color I want.

on 9/18/2007 8:24:00 PM

Because concealer isn't necessarily a staple in my kit (although it might be after this), spending more than, say, $15 on concealer seemed ridiculous to me. So I balked at the price of this concealer, and yet I handed over the money, unable to resist the reviews that praised its creaminess and ability to cover up any sort of undereye darkness.

I'm a busy mother with a major lack of shut-eye, and sometimes, it really shows - the dark circles under my eyes say it all. And I was convinced nothing could cover up that mark of tiredness, but obviously I'd never tried Laura Mercier's Secret Concealer. This stuff truly rocks - it's as creamy as they say, and the shade I chose for my MAC NC25/Laura Mercier Sunny Beige/Px Real Ivory skin, Secret Concealer #2, is surprisingly perfect. It looks way too dark in the pan, but it's gloriously bright on the skin. I apply Secret Brightening Powder over it, to set. And it lasts all day.

An important note: the first time I used this, I noticed little to zero difference under my bathroom's energy efficient lighting. But once I got in my car and looked at the finished product under broad, clear daylight, I was shocked. I looked rested. Concealer free. I continue to be amazed. Love this stuff, and would most certainly repurchase!

on 9/16/2007 2:21:00 PM

So far, this is best concealer I have found to replace my former HG (PX camo kit). It is very moisturizing, and has never made my eyes look crepey. I use a brush to apply, and then pat it in with my finger. Then I set it with the brightening powder, which IMO makes a difference, and helps it last all day. I have found that you need to use a light hand, and layer if necessary. It covers much better that way, and I have horrible purple circles that really stand out against my pale olive skin. If they are really bad, then I also use the secret brightener underneath, and the combo products is like magic. The only thing I don't like is that I have to mix #1 and #2 to get the right shade. Luckily a 50/50mix is perfect, so I get my money out of it. I have been using these 2 pots for about a year, and I am just hitting the bottom after daily use.

on 9/2/2007 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The perfect under eye concealer in my book! The consistency is just what is needed in the under eye area - creamy and blendable. I like it because all I have to do to blend it in is to tap lightley a few times and I'm not tugging on my under eye area to blend it in. Not sure if it is an old wives tale or not but I heard that you can cause wrinkles but tugging consistently in that area. It does not settle into those fine lines and on me it happens to last all day and into the night...which totally shocked me. As an asian girl with the heavy eyelids on top and the oilies all around my eye area it is VERY hard to find products that will stay put around the eyes. This was a great "I'm bored and I want to buy something" purchase!

on 8/31/2007 3:42:00 PM

I have had the hardest time finding a concealer that works for me. The concealer is creamy and moist. It readily adhears to my concealer brush and then transfers nicely onto my face. Also, I am able to put a bit on my finger and pat it into my skin. Either way it blends perfectly and has great coverage. I use it to cover the blue-ish circles under my eyes, brighten the inner corners of my eyes and cover the redness near my nostrils.

on 8/13/2007 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is by far the best of all the h.e. concealers i have tried. perfect texture. wish it lasted longer on my skin- need to touch up after 4 hours. will try the secret brightening powder with it soon

EDIT- found that BB corrector is so much nicer than this. but i keep it in my purse as a backup. Haven't needed it tho cuz bb lasts all day. the powder didn't help set it and made me look old

on 8/6/2007 7:29:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This only comes in 3 colors.I hate that.The darkest one is probably good for those with medium skin tones. Smooth, creamy, easy to apply. But too bad for women of color, we can't wear this