September 2, 2014 | 1131 users online

Fragrances - Clinique - Aromatics Elixir

rated 1 of 5 on 4/7/2005 10:58:00 AM More reviews by jezebelthorn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a strange one, I received this as a gift for my birthday after smelling it in a magazine and asking my partner to buy it for me.
In the magazine when I first smelt the sample this smelt divine absolutely gorgeous and really unique but when I sprayed it on myself it smelt rancid, horrible, heavy and really pungeant. Unique, yes but on myself at least, in an very, very bad way.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/2/2005 1:49:00 PM More reviews by jaymac

This is the most horrible smelling fragrance on me. I still smell it although I have scrubbed my wrist many times. It reminds me of stale old lady in a bottle. It is very pungeant and abrasive to me. I tried it on at the mall and my husband and I were both sick to our stomachs on the ride home. On the positive side, a co-worker manages to wear this and it smells delightfully fresh on her. If you are one of the lucky ones who has the right chemistry, go for it. Otherwise, BEWARE!!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/31/2005 8:13:00 AM More reviews by altocat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I wanted so much to like this... got a sample from the very nice folks at the Manhattan Century 21's Clinique counter and sprayed it on myself while waiting in their horribly long fitting room line. At first, I thought I'd found my new warm-weather scent - very clean, a little spicy, but not too heavy. Unfortunately, as it dried on my skin, Elixir began to smell rather stale and salty - very weird. I tried it again a few days later and got the same result. I still like this, just not on myself! Worth a try if you like this kind of scent and are looking for something unusual. BTW, I do *not* get "old lady" from this at all, but maybe that's because where I grew up (upper Midwest) old ladies wore really sweet, frilly fragrances, which this is definitely not!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2005 3:58:00 AM More reviews by evalien

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a definate love or hate perfume. I've love the smell for 10 years now. And still i haven't dared to buy it.
It's the one perfume that i always notice and love when i smell it on others. BUT my boyfriend (and many others) think it smells like old ladies...
I'm planning on buying it soon now, though i have to see how people start reacting to me. If people start giving me their seats in busses I may have to stop using it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2005 12:48:00 PM More reviews by 4949

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my first review here. I am still looking for my HG fragrance. I wish I knew how to detect all the layers and essences of perfumes, but unfortunately, I can't yet. All I know is this is my favorite fall/winter fragrance (along with Opium). I realize that most people cannot stand this one (including my first and second husbands and my daughter) but who cares. I wear perfume for me and due to the unusualness of AE and the staying power, I LOVE it. I don't wear it to work very often (close quarters and all...)but I have loved this perfume forever and I am sure I will continue to do so.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2005 5:53:00 PM More reviews by M1L1

Am beginning to understand why a lot of reviewers here loathe AE. I guess that how a fragrance develops on you depends not only on your body chemistry but also your PERSONALITY (i.e. really romantic women tend to go for sweetly floral scents). Me...have found that overall, ANDROGYNOUS is better for me than decidedly FEMININE. Fragrance is no exception. I cannot stand floral, oriental, overly citrusy scents. All are too one or the other--too flowery, too effervescent, too sporty, too dizzying. IMO too categorical, too IDENTIFIABLE. Thankfully AE isn't any of these--it's grouped w/ complex CHYPRES. (If someone hadn't come up w/ chypres I'd be limited to just one specific scent, because the only other type I like is herbal--think lavender water or Bvlgari green tea.) This being established...I did hate AE's initial impression, just like the other reviewers here. Then again almost all perfumes repulse me while they're still wet on my skin--probably because of the usual alcohol/musk. But when AE dried...I smelled the evaporating top notes (chamomile, greens, bergamot among others), classic floral heart (rose & a hint of jasmine), & woody drydown (oakmoss, patchouli, etc). Sprayed AE over my leather watchband more than a year ago & have worn that scented watch almost daily [until I got a new watch]. Could still sniff faint traces of chamomile, bergamot, greens & woods on the scented wristband--even as I write this review. AE smells exactly like Chanel No. 19, but AE costs just a fraction of No. 19's price & lasts a lot longer. The only thing I don't like about this fragrance is that on me, it takes a looonnng time between the initial application and dry down. But this is a minor detail, nothing that a wee almond oil can't solve. For the money, I find the dry down really worth it, so I'll definitely buy AE again. I can't drink alcohol, so I'll never be able to enjoy wine, but now I can imagine wine tasting better as it ages. AE's the same way--dry down keeps getting better as time goes by. If there is a perfume that smells on my skin like it does in the bottle--and who's attracted to something whose initial impression stinks?!!--AE would be in this group. Clinique, are ya listening? Please don't discontinue this--or worse, make major changes to this classic. EDIT: Must stop using this. Last month I developed allergies to perfume and pollen--perfume now gives me headaches. I'm sorry to let AE go. Thanks, Clinique, for the wonderful, fragrant memories.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/5/2005 9:43:00 PM More reviews by EarthMother

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Loved this in my 20's, and always get compliments. But MAN is it STRONG. Spray-run-thru does not even lighten it up. Maybe spraying outside does? I bought it again in a moment of weakness and now realize it stood up to bar smoke etc but not to everyday use. I have the teeniest bottle and it will go bad long before I use it up. Smells like leather and money, or bugspray, depending on your chemistry and the weather (only in COLD weather is recco'd)
A captivating scent, but go gently into that fragrance cloud

rated 1 of 5 on 2/4/2005 11:02:00 AM More reviews by daza

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have never bought/worn this stuff, so maybe it's not my place to rate it. I am reviewing this because a co-worker of mine wears it. I am glad I am not really in close proximity to her all day. It is yucky, and I always thought it was strange that such a sophisticated middle aged woman wore patchouli oil. It brought back memories of high school when the hippy thing was back in style (lol, 94') and girls wore patchouli oil... One day I asked her nicely, "Is that patchouli that you're wearing?" She said no, and she told me she was wearing Clinique Aromatics Elixir. Ladies, if you are happy with this scent, just go to the local Health Food Store and get a little vile of patchouli oil. I don't know what other notes are in AE, but it has to be at least 75% patchouli. You will save a lot of money!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2005 11:13:00 AM More reviews by escebola

YUK, this smells so strong it makes you dizzy just to smell it off the package!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/25/2005 9:32:00 PM More reviews by Rachel12

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My mom gave me this ( i can see why lol) it smells so bad. i sprayed it and i almost gagged. it is horrible!