April 16, 2014 | 1905 users online

Fragrances - Clinique - Aromatics Elixir

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2005 5:53:00 PM More reviews by M1L1

Am beginning to understand why a lot of reviewers here loathe AE. I guess that how a fragrance develops on you depends not only on your body chemistry but also your PERSONALITY (i.e. really romantic women tend to go for sweetly floral scents). Me...have found that overall, ANDROGYNOUS is better for me than decidedly FEMININE. Fragrance is no exception. I cannot stand floral, oriental, overly citrusy scents. All are too one or the other--too flowery, too effervescent, too sporty, too dizzying. IMO too categorical, too IDENTIFIABLE. Thankfully AE isn't any of these--it's grouped w/ complex CHYPRES. (If someone hadn't come up w/ chypres I'd be limited to just one specific scent, because the only other type I like is herbal--think lavender water or Bvlgari green tea.) This being established...I did hate AE's initial impression, just like the other reviewers here. Then again almost all perfumes repulse me while they're still wet on my skin--probably because of the usual alcohol/musk. But when AE dried...I smelled the evaporating top notes (chamomile, greens, bergamot among others), classic floral heart (rose & a hint of jasmine), & woody drydown (oakmoss, patchouli, etc). Sprayed AE over my leather watchband more than a year ago & have worn that scented watch almost daily [until I got a new watch]. Could still sniff faint traces of chamomile, bergamot, greens & woods on the scented wristband--even as I write this review. AE smells exactly like Chanel No. 19, but AE costs just a fraction of No. 19's price & lasts a lot longer. The only thing I don't like about this fragrance is that on me, it takes a looonnng time between the initial application and dry down. But this is a minor detail, nothing that a wee almond oil can't solve. For the money, I find the dry down really worth it, so I'll definitely buy AE again. I can't drink alcohol, so I'll never be able to enjoy wine, but now I can imagine wine tasting better as it ages. AE's the same way--dry down keeps getting better as time goes by. If there is a perfume that smells on my skin like it does in the bottle--and who's attracted to something whose initial impression stinks?!!--AE would be in this group. Clinique, are ya listening? Please don't discontinue this--or worse, make major changes to this classic. EDIT: Must stop using this. Last month I developed allergies to perfume and pollen--perfume now gives me headaches. I'm sorry to let AE go. Thanks, Clinique, for the wonderful, fragrant memories.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/5/2005 9:43:00 PM More reviews by EarthMother

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Loved this in my 20's, and always get compliments. But MAN is it STRONG. Spray-run-thru does not even lighten it up. Maybe spraying outside does? I bought it again in a moment of weakness and now realize it stood up to bar smoke etc but not to everyday use. I have the teeniest bottle and it will go bad long before I use it up. Smells like leather and money, or bugspray, depending on your chemistry and the weather (only in COLD weather is recco'd)
A captivating scent, but go gently into that fragrance cloud

rated 1 of 5 on 2/4/2005 11:02:00 AM More reviews by daza

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have never bought/worn this stuff, so maybe it's not my place to rate it. I am reviewing this because a co-worker of mine wears it. I am glad I am not really in close proximity to her all day. It is yucky, and I always thought it was strange that such a sophisticated middle aged woman wore patchouli oil. It brought back memories of high school when the hippy thing was back in style (lol, 94') and girls wore patchouli oil... One day I asked her nicely, "Is that patchouli that you're wearing?" She said no, and she told me she was wearing Clinique Aromatics Elixir. Ladies, if you are happy with this scent, just go to the local Health Food Store and get a little vile of patchouli oil. I don't know what other notes are in AE, but it has to be at least 75% patchouli. You will save a lot of money!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2005 11:13:00 AM More reviews by escebola

YUK, this smells so strong it makes you dizzy just to smell it off the package!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/25/2005 9:32:00 PM More reviews by Rachel12

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My mom gave me this ( i can see why lol) it smells so bad. i sprayed it and i almost gagged. it is horrible!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2005 2:19:00 PM More reviews by tournesol

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Aromatics Elixir gets a bad rap because its concentration is simply too strong. Put on a dab and let it dry down for an hour and you've got a beautiful woody, oakmossy rose, not unlike Serge Lutens Rose de Nuit after an extensive drydown. Once I was walking in the makeup-and-fragrance section of a department store and noted a beautiful fragrance coming from the general direction of the Clinique counter. Turned out to be AE, sprayed TWO HOURS before. I thought, "Wow, I've underestimated this stuff!" So I sprayed a little on my hand, sniffed, and recoiled. Two hours later: Sniff. Ahhh... As one witty MUAer once posted about AE: Spray today, walk through the mist on Saturday. It is such a shame that they've made it so strong that all you smell is a heinous perfuminess for the first hour. AE really is gorgeous after a lengthy drydown. Clinique, are you listening? Aromatics Elixir Eau Fraiche . continued >>

rated 1 of 5 on 1/13/2005 3:52:00 PM More reviews by misseula

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was my first experience with a fragrance having a really negative reaction to my body chemistry. I had a sample of this and I put it on and it totally smelled like the stinky back room of the thrift shop where they throw all the old lady clothes nobody buys.
It took forever to get the smell gone, too.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2005 5:59:00 PM More reviews by Beingvenus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just recieved a sample of the clinique aromatics elixer and I absolutely love it. I used to wear Mystique or hypnotic poison but I like this one because it's not quite as woody as mystique is nor as sweet as hypnotic poison. A definite winner, and every man who's smelled it on me has complimented me. I also find it to be an extremely calming scent, another nice thing about it was that a little goes a long way... so I imagine this sample will last a while. But when the sample is done I will DEFINTELY be going to buy this fragrance. The only reason I didn't give this fragrance 5 lippies is because the packaging is so damned unimaginative. I like interesting bottles and this bottle looks like any cheap colonge you could buy at a drug store. But the smell, as I said is wonderful.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2005 2:37:00 AM More reviews by claychappell

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is definitely love it or hate it from the reviews I've read on here. I love it because it's unique and has an extremely mysterious sillage (trail of fragrance) on the right person with the right chemistry. It's woodsy but also has a very slight sweetness on me. It's woodsy straight out of the bottle but with pronounced, crisp chamomile. AE has a floral accord flowing throughout, with notes of rose, palmarosa, tuberose and ylang ylang. The base is very nice and warm, it consists of moss, sandalwood, cistus labdanum, patchouli, amber and civet. I love wearing it as it smells very good on me, and is a very comforting smell. I've also smelled this on others and it's to die for if the person wears it well. A true classic that transcends. Funny how so many people hate this, but I can sort of see why, because it is quite different and pungent when first sprayed (especially on a paper perfume card). This fragrance will stop you dead in your tracks if you encounter it on a person who wears it well. It's so very mysterious and enchanting. I've had people my age (23) and younger tell me I smell SOOOO good. Another thing, this is one of the few fragrances I've worn that doesn't make me feel queasy.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/4/2005 8:41:00 PM More reviews by Karlee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is definitely a body chemistry thing, because straight out of the bottle this perfume is nothing to write home about. In fact, I can see why someone would give it two thumbs-down. HOWEVER...I received a small bottle of this as a gift with purchase. My husband and I were going to a wedding, so I touched a little of the perfume to my wrist and neck. I've never gotten so many compliments before. Several women I've never met approached to tell me I smelled wonderful. My sister-in-law and mother-in-law said they loved my perfume, and my husband kept sniffing around my neck, saying I smelled great. So, go figure! This is one of those things you have to test out on yourself before making a final judgement. I laugh to think that upon initial sniff of the bottle I nearly tossed the stuff.