Clinique Aromatics Elixir

3.0

My grandmother wore this, and only this, and it's a scent that I strongly associate with her. For that reason alone, I couldn't buy it, or wear it, but every so often while walking past the Clinique counter, I'll spray some of this on and revel in the olfactory experience. She died in 94, at the age of 94 ;), but there isn't any sadness in me when I smell this - I enjoy having this occasional reminder of her.

On me, it's spicy and aldehydic, strong, and almost overpowering. But I enjoy the smell because it's different from anything else that I wear - stronger, more assertive, less foody and more sophisticated.

I used to love this in the 80's but then again, we were wearing war paint and had blue hair and thought Cyndi Lauper was a recording artist so what did we know? It's actually a gorgeous, spicy scent but I would only wear at night. Great gift for a mom if she likes oriental scents.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I really love this fragrance, but i am not surprised to find myself in the minority. It is distinctive, almost "food-y" in its lack of subtlety, like being in the kitchen when something spicy is on the stove. But I find that quality nurturing, almost grounding. Eventually it becomes quite warm on me.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Bad, bad, bad!

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

Just 1 quick spray and a walk-through will do it for you. Anything more can ruin your experience with this amazing, unique fragrance. I've worn Aromatics Elixer since the mid-1970s....there's no patchouli-based cyphre fragrance like it! It's a love or hate scent that should be worn very, ver sparingly (including spare usage of the body cream/lotion ect).

The bottle is beautiful and simple - slightly curved like a woman, frosted glass with a bronzy-goldtone cap.

Other products in the this scent, which usually come out around Christmas shopping time, are wonderful too -- the french-milled soaps and candles come to mind. Pricey but worth the indulgence if you enjoy Aromatics Elixer in its various forms.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Soo many flowers, but that does not mean they're not blended well. I imagine Einstein would smell like this..too many things going on all at once. I have yet to run across a person who wear this...its linen spray for me, a pricey linen spary. If i sniff enough, it slips me into sweet slubmer..;)

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is a strange one, I received this as a gift for my birthday after smelling it in a magazine and asking my partner to buy it for me.
In the magazine when I first smelt the sample this smelt divine absolutely gorgeous and really unique but when I sprayed it on myself it smelt rancid, horrible, heavy and really pungeant. Unique, yes but on myself at least, in an very, very bad way.

This is the most horrible smelling fragrance on me. I still smell it although I have scrubbed my wrist many times. It reminds me of stale old lady in a bottle. It is very pungeant and abrasive to me. I tried it on at the mall and my husband and I were both sick to our stomachs on the ride home. On the positive side, a co-worker manages to wear this and it smells delightfully fresh on her. If you are one of the lucky ones who has the right chemistry, go for it. Otherwise, BEWARE!!

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I wanted so much to like this... got a sample from the very nice folks at the Manhattan Century 21's Clinique counter and sprayed it on myself while waiting in their horribly long fitting room line. At first, I thought I'd found my new warm-weather scent - very clean, a little spicy, but not too heavy. Unfortunately, as it dried on my skin, Elixir began to smell rather stale and salty - very weird. I tried it again a few days later and got the same result. I still like this, just not on myself! Worth a try if you like this kind of scent and are looking for something unusual. BTW, I do *not* get "old lady" from this at all, but maybe that's because where I grew up (upper Midwest) old ladies wore really sweet, frilly fragrances, which this is definitely not!

This is a definate love or hate perfume. I've love the smell for 10 years now. And still i haven't dared to buy it.
It's the one perfume that i always notice and love when i smell it on others. BUT my boyfriend (and many others) think it smells like old ladies...
I'm planning on buying it soon now, though i have to see how people start reacting to me. If people start giving me their seats in busses I may have to stop using it.

Popular Fragrances