October 23, 2014 | 1194 users online

Pressed Powders - Rimmel - Stay Matte Pressed Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2013 4:30:00 PM More reviews by noemielizabethh

I am a college student who LOVES experimenting with makeup that is in the price range of my budget! This compact is great for daily use. I have fair and slightly dry skin with a little bit of redness because of my eczema and this compact gives me a natural finish, (paired with a foundation of course). If you are looking for a matte finish, this compact is not for you. I also don't recommend using this compact on it's own. It will not give complete coverage. I use it to set my foundation and it looks clean and effortless. Some of the negative things about this product is that it doesn't come in too many colors which is totally not fair for some of the darker skinned girls out there and it also doesn't come with a sponge like most compacts do. I personally avoid using sponges because they can easily grow bacteria on them so I use a kabuki brush instead but some people prefer a sponge. This product review is based on my personal use with this product. It works well for me which I LOVE but it might not be the best product for oily skin and consumers seeking a matte finish.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/17/2013 12:42:00 PM More reviews by Ihaveahart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

No no no!!! Makes me look cakey does not keep me matte if rather stick to the Laura mercier loose setting powder!!!!! Ratchet ratchet not worth the money at all

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2013 1:56:00 PM More reviews by nreid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Note: This review is for the "translucent" shade of pressed powder.

PROS
-mild to no scent
-finely-milled product
-doesn't cake up, even with repeated applications
-doesn't oxidize
-packaging is secure
-sheer to light coverage
-can be layered (especially when hiding blemishes)
-affordable price

CONS
-doesn't control shine at all
-zero staying power
-no compartment for sponge/puff

I bought this powder on the recommendation of the positive reviews here on MUA. And while I certainly don't hate the powder, it has not at all lived up to the hype. And it's nothing to do with my skin-type; I really believe it's more to do with the actual product formulation itself (perhaps even with the specific lot of product my powder came from).

I have combination-dry skin. My nose gets a bit oily during the summer, but overall my skin is quite dry, especially in the winter. Strangely, within 30 minutes of applying this powder to my nose (using either a brush or flocked sponge), my nose will be shiny again. Every single day. And I've been using this powder for more than two months now. So I'm a bit puzzled as to why some of reviewers with oily to very oily skin praise this powder for its mattifying abilities. Sure, for me it reduces shine and actually gives me more of a nice glowy finish instead of a matte finish. But, unlike the name "Stay Matte" would indicate, this product does nothing of the sort. Since I have dry skin (sometimes even on my otherwise oily nose), I can't imagine why this powder doesn't keep my nose shine-free for more than a half hour regardless of the weather conditions, the makeup I'm wearing, or if I'm in a dry office or out in the open, humid summertime air.

Despite this lack of mattifying ability, I don't actually want a matte finish. I use tinted moisturizer and having an obviously matte finish with a powder will create a flat-looking spot in the middle of my otherwise dewy-looking face. Too many pressed powders do this to my face. So, in this regard I actually really like this powder because it doesn't lend a flat look to my makeup. And even though I do have to touch up my nose with it several times a day, I'm pleased that I can do so without there being a trace of any cakiness. It also works wonderfully under my eyes to set my concealer, and it doesn't cake up there or look obviously matte.

I've never had a problem with the pan's lid. Despite numerous reviewers claiming the lid easily comes loose from the pan, I've carted it around in my bag every day and never had the lid even come close to being loose. There are four small tabs around the outside rim of the pan that create a snug enough fit for the lid that, even with repeated removal of the lid, still maintain a snug fit between the pan and the lid. The only problem I have with the packaging is that there is no place to store the flocked sponge that I use with it. To me, this is an inconvenience enough to keep me from repurchasing - I hate having to carry a separate brush or sponge in my makeup bag.

Perhaps my experience with this powder is due to its being translucent. It could very well be that the other shades in the product line are indeed mattifying owing to what could be a different formulation. Overall, it's a very decent product, especially considering the affordable price-point. But, sadly, I won't be purchasing again simply because I would like to not have to reapply powder to my nose so soon and so often throughout the day.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2013 12:31:00 PM More reviews by blooiejagwa

I have dry skin but in summertime I need a good powder or else my foundation slides off and I become very oily looking. This is a better powder than Shiseido's, Chanel's (the poudre universelle), Guerlain (pressed or loose meteorites)--on my skin at least. I have tried all of the above with foundation, no matter what foundation, they all have a slight cakiness to them especially as the day goes on. The Shiseido one is sheerer and more 'invisible' compared to many other HE powders, but in the end, Rimmel's does the best job for me. a simple dusting is enough for a couple of hours, but touchups don't contribute to a powdery caked on look. The problem is it will not mattify and only works with certain foundations. I use the translucent shade, have med-tan skin in summer. Btw. A reviewer here said it says on the packaging that it will control shine for 8 hrs, but mine says 5 hours.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2013 9:38:00 PM More reviews by beautyheartsusxo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This powder is AMAZING. It is great and keeps my makeup set all day. I have slightly oily skin and this still keeps it staying matte. This is defiantly a go-to product and for the price you should defiantly check it out!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2013 11:12:00 PM More reviews by livelynnlipstick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have this in transparent and I have a brown skin to e I love this translucent power and it smells really good.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2013 9:55:00 AM More reviews by GlamMomMUA

I tried this product recently bc I heard good things about it. I figured if it wasn't up to my standards I would only be taking a $3 loss. I have to say, I personally think this product is great. It gave me a great smooth matte finish that lasted 8 hrs without me having to reapply. I have combination skin but my makeup can get pretty muddy throughout the day, but not with this powder. I used the shade translucent and I wore it over my fav BB Cream. I def plan on repurchasing. I mean for the price... You can't go wrong! I do have to say that I'm not biggest fan of the packaging but it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2013 5:06:00 AM More reviews by vwbeadedprincess

I have very light skin but in the summer i get a little tan but the powder i have is number 001 and it matches all year round even with a summer tan. Somtimes i will use it by itself and it keeps my skin matte for about 6 hours. I use this product as my setting powder over neutragenas oil control liquid founndation. Overall great product and great price. p.s not too dry dor super dry skin :p

rated 3 of 5 on 9/11/2013 8:15:00 PM More reviews by Lirong

Hate the packaging or breaks easily when in your makeup bag. Not sure why is it so raved, on my combination skin with oily tendency I find it to be cakey.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/10/2013 2:42:00 AM More reviews by Courtneyxanne

If you have dry skin like me I would NOT recommend this powder! For me, it left my skin looking cakey and even more dry! It looked almost scaly! Try it for yourselves, but I wouldnt recommend it!