October 2, 2014 | 1349 users online

Cleansers - Burt's Bees - Orange Essence Facial Cleanser

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2005 10:52:00 PM More reviews by productprincess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is, hands-down, my HG cleanser. I have tight, dry, sensitive skin on my face. I also have eczema and, while I don't typically have it on my face, I do get the occasional flare-up.

I'm disappointed to see how many people dislike this product, but I can't say I'm surprised. It's perfect for me, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone with oily or even normal to oily skin. It's for those of us who battle flakes.

I do get the occasional breakout (chin and cheeks), but they are rare and I attribute them to my phone usage and excessive face-touching, but not this product.

If you really feel like your face isn't quite clean, try the BB wild lettuce toner. It's very gentle and not at all drying.

I don't love *all* the BB products, but this is one of my staples. I don't think I'll ever find another cleanser that works this well for me, especially at this price.

EDIT: Ack! They changed the packaging and it seems they may have changed the formulation as well. Now that it's in a plastic tube instead of the old (admittedly poor) metal packaging, it doesn't seem to rinse off nearly as well. It's all filmy and kind of ick. I might have to look for something else. :-(

rated 4 of 5 on 2/9/2005 1:05:00 AM More reviews by yaluna

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I has used this product off and on for a couple years now and I love it. It's really not that hard to figure out how to use - I just squirt out about a teaspoon amount onto a palm, rub my hands together, and apply to my face. I have dry, sensitive skin and this cleanser leaves it feeling clean and moisturized. Usually after washing my skin feels very dry and tight, but not after this stuff! I love the smell, it's very clean and orange, and I think the packaging is cute. I think they have to package it in the tube in order to preserve the essential oils that they yse (instead of loading it with chemical preservatives).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2005 5:58:00 PM More reviews by PaintedSophisticate

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Not piss anyone off or anything, but I think that the main reason people didn't like this product is because they didn't know how to use it. There, I said it. Read my review for a semi-tutorial on how to use this product

What Does it Do: Its a very gentle cleanser meant to remove makeup and moisturize skin as well as cleanse it. Its a lot like traditional cold cream, in the way that it cleanses skin but it moisturizes as well.

Upon First Impression: I didn't read the package very well before I tried it, so I was suprised that it was kind of oily and didn't lather so well on my face. I loved the orange smell though. I use an eyemakeup remover before using this cleanser, because I don't think it does a great job of doing that, but on the rest of my face it does a pretty good job. After using this and putting on makeup my face was still soft, and my makeup even stayed on longer. I really liked how radiant my skin was after only one use.

Does it Work: Yes. It cleanses and moisturizes. You may not feel as if your skin is clean, but trust me, it is. It works great, but its not meant to be the deep down super duper pore refining stuff that wages war on your skin. Its mainly just for everyday use when you're not having breakouts and you just need something gentle to cleanse skin, not make your skin its bitch.

How Do I Use It: First wet your face a teeny tiny bit with warm water. This will open your pores and it will make cleansing easier. If you have a streamer skip the water and simply steam your face. Wipe off makeup with a cloth dampened with warm water to get rid of some of it. You may also want to go ahead and remove eyemakeup with an eyemakeup remover. Then put a dime sized amount in your palm and mix it with warm water (I also reccomend using BB Citrus Facial Scrub with this) to help it lather and to thin it out and make it easier to spread. If you feel as if you need more you can always use more than a dime sized amount. Then massage gently in a circular motion. Then wet a cloth with more warm water and scrub gently until the cleaser is off. You will probably feel like your face has a greasy film or residue on it, but its the moisturizing oils in it. They sort of act as a force field against dirt and "bad oil" and makeup getting trapped in your pores. To shrink pores rinse with splashes of cold water. Pat dry with a towel which will also help get rid of some of the residue. Then I use a BB toner (Wild Lettuce or Garden Tomato, depending) to help shrink pores and get rid of the greasy feeling. Usig the toner REALLY helps a lot. Then I use the carrot day creme afterwards and apply makeup OR an emoillent for the night and go to bed. I always wake up with radiant, soft skin. I haven't had a breakout in ages. I have never had softer, cleaner, more radiant skin than I do now.

Cost: I got mine in a starter kit so I don't know.

Is it Worth the Price Tag: I would say so.

Would You Buy it Again: Oh yeah!!

Where to Get it: Online at www.burtsbees.com or you can get it in other online stores. You can also get them anywhere starter kits are sold such as Books-A-Million, Bath and Body Works, or Cracker Barrel. continued >>

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2005 11:33:00 PM More reviews by lelestar

I love this cleanser! I admit that it seems a little grimey- but it actually does clean! I suppose it's more like a cold cream-it cleans, but you feel the cleanest after you've wiped it off with a towel. I have combination skin that is sometimes oily but I get those dry patches that I'm tempted to pick off- this stuff acts like a light moisturizer afterwards and your face feels really smooth. My dry patches went away and my face actually started to clear up!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2005 8:31:00 PM More reviews by oilyface

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I Love this product! I have very OILY skin and this stuff works!! But the packaging directions are not very precise. Here is how I use it: Put a dime size amount of the cleanser in the palm of your hand. Add a few drops of warm water to the cleanser. mix well. put on your face in a massaging motion. wet a washcloth under HOT water (but not scalding hot!!) place on face, and remove cleanser. your face will feel silky, not greasy. Let dry completly. Oily skin does not need a seperate moisturizer! I use this morning & night. The smell is heavenly, like an orange grove! this cleanser looks different, the packaging is plain, (but it 's workable) it looks pretty thick (that's why you thin it out with warm water) and the oils in this product are "good" oils. Completely natural. Makes my face feel balanced out, no acne, no blackheads. And the price is very reasonable $8.00 at Shaws supermarket.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2005 1:04:00 PM More reviews by o00meow00o

I like this cleanser. It took me a few times of using it to figure out whether or not I liked it. It's kind of thick and leaves a bit of residue (I guess) on your face, but I follow with the Burt's Bees lettuce toner and it leaves my skin feeling amazing. Would buy again.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/29/2004 4:00:00 PM More reviews by Scentience

Love the smell, but this makes me feel as though I've smeared axle grease on my face. I had to use two other cleansers and a toner to eliminate the gunk and restore my face to some semblance of cleanliness. Not sure I can bring myself to try again--it really felt awful.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2004 9:22:00 AM More reviews by GillianLee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I just got this as a sampler and I have tosay I'm impressed! The cleanser reminds me a little of Eve Lom's in texture though tons cheaper and without all the mineral oil and other synthetic nasties. I think the previous reviewer is right that the way to use it is to apply it to dry skin first. I removed it with a cheese cloth wash cloth (I got some with EL cleanser but then realised I could make them for pennies using doubled cheese cloth) dipped in warm water. My skin is normal/dry and very sensitive. I have used it twice now and no adverse reaction and my skin is lovely and soft.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2004 10:53:00 PM More reviews by eenie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The first time I used this, I did not like. It made my face feel gummy and not at all clean. Since then, I've learned how to use it more correctly--at least, for me. I start with a barely wet face and massage this in. I then wash off with a warm-water soaked washcloth, and then follow with a toner (BB lettuce toner works well). This removes the gummy feeling and leaves my skin sparkling clean the next morning. I also love the scent of this product, very calming.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2004 8:05:00 PM More reviews by ckgurl714

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Maybe I should give this another try. I just didn't really like it. I did like the smell, and my face did look good after it but I felt like it was stuck on my face. I was practically scratching my face to get everything off. But at the same time, your skin DOES look nicer so..I don't know:-/