Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser

3.3

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Vegetable Glycerin, Olive Oil, Orange Oil, Oat Flour, Lanolin, Oat Oil, Aloe (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Vegetable Oil, Beta-Carotene, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Quillaja Extract, Rosemary Leaf Oil

on 3/28/2005 3:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I received this as a gift. I can't imagine many people liking this product, because even with my dry skin it leaves too much of an oily residue. Only toner gets rid of it, and I don't like toner. The smell is awesome, however, and I love the idea of natural products. I've finally discovered the perfect use of this product: I mix it in with my Dermalogica Microexfoliant. Usually my skin is too sensitive to take the exfoliation even every other day, but since I started using it in conjunction with the Burt's Bees cleanser, I've had no problem. No residue, and I get to enjoy that "burst o' orange" smell and give my face a little Vitamin C fix every few days.

on 3/18/2005 11:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Let me start this by saying...I have oily skin. Not just oily skin, but OILY SKIN. With zits. And big ol' pores. And redness. The entire spectrum of oily skin troubles, I got. And I use this cleanser...with fabulous results.

The first couple of times I used this, I really didn't like it at all. I couldn't get it to spread smoothly on my face and it didn't remove anything....I'd end up with a ton of makeup all over my cotton pad when I'd try to use toner. I couldn't understand it...I was wetting my face, smoothing on the cleanser, and rinsing it off....what is the problem? Well, the problem was that my ADD brain skimmed the directions instead of actually READING them. Turns out you are supposed to wet your hands, NOT your face. So...I wet my hands, squirted out a tiny bit of this, rubbed them together, THEN applied to my face, and rinsed. Worked MUCH better....it gets all my makeup off and there's not much left for the toner to pick up. I will say this...don't use this on your eyes. It stings like you would not believe.

Now...this is a product designed for dry to sensitive skin. Since I do have such oily skin, I use it once a day, at night, to remove makeup, and then only if I am wearing a stubborn "all day" makeup that requires oil for removal, or if I just feel particularly grimy that day. The oils in this will remove even ColorStay makeup! I normally follow with the Garden Tomato soap and toner, to get any extra residual oil off my skin, or the Citrus Facial Scrub. I noticed that if I didn't, my skin started to look dull and I got some small breakouts. So, I end up using this at least three or four nights a week, and the skin on my face looks great!

BTW, have I mentioned the scent? WOW...it smells WONDERFUL! Just like oranges. I could just sit and smell it.

So...if you have dry skin, this could be just the thing you need...if you have oily skin, you can still use it, with some modifications. And if you've tried this and couldn't get it to work, or didn't like the consistency, maybe (like me) you were just applying it incorrectly. With wet hands and a dry face, it totally works for me.

UPDATE 3/23/05: I have a facial cleansing brush...you know, the little round brushes with the really soft bristles used for scrubbing your face. I wet that, squirted a little of this on the bristles, then scrubbed on my dry face. That worked as well, and it seemed to "foam up" a little better than just using my fingers. Probably not something I'll do every time I use this, but it is another option that works well. continued >>

on 3/7/2005 5:44:00 PM

I WOULD LOVE TO BUY THIS PRODUCT AGAIN! i love this product, and even though burt's says it's just out of stock, i'm growing worried. though, they did just change the packaging, so i can't imagine they would get rid of it. i use this product, which smells great, to get off all my makeup--i remove it with a hot washcloth. it leave my skin clean and smooth. i miss it.

This is, hands-down, my HG cleanser. I have tight, dry, sensitive skin on my face. I also have eczema and, while I don't typically have it on my face, I do get the occasional flare-up.

I'm disappointed to see how many people dislike this product, but I can't say I'm surprised. It's perfect for me, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone with oily or even normal to oily skin. It's for those of us who battle flakes.

I do get the occasional breakout (chin and cheeks), but they are rare and I attribute them to my phone usage and excessive face-touching, but not this product.

If you really feel like your face isn't quite clean, try the BB wild lettuce toner. It's very gentle and not at all drying.

I don't love *all* the BB products, but this is one of my staples. I don't think I'll ever find another cleanser that works this well for me, especially at this price.

EDIT: Ack! They changed the packaging and it seems they may have changed the formulation as well. Now that it's in a plastic tube instead of the old (admittedly poor) metal packaging, it doesn't seem to rinse off nearly as well. It's all filmy and kind of ick. I might have to look for something else. :-(

on 2/9/2005 1:05:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I has used this product off and on for a couple years now and I love it. It's really not that hard to figure out how to use - I just squirt out about a teaspoon amount onto a palm, rub my hands together, and apply to my face. I have dry, sensitive skin and this cleanser leaves it feeling clean and moisturized. Usually after washing my skin feels very dry and tight, but not after this stuff! I love the smell, it's very clean and orange, and I think the packaging is cute. I think they have to package it in the tube in order to preserve the essential oils that they yse (instead of loading it with chemical preservatives).

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Not piss anyone off or anything, but I think that the main reason people didn't like this product is because they didn't know how to use it. There, I said it. Read my review for a semi-tutorial on how to use this product

What Does it Do: Its a very gentle cleanser meant to remove makeup and moisturize skin as well as cleanse it. Its a lot like traditional cold cream, in the way that it cleanses skin but it moisturizes as well.

Upon First Impression: I didn't read the package very well before I tried it, so I was suprised that it was kind of oily and didn't lather so well on my face. I loved the orange smell though. I use an eyemakeup remover before using this cleanser, because I don't think it does a great job of doing that, but on the rest of my face it does a pretty good job. After using this and putting on makeup my face was still soft, and my makeup even stayed on longer. I really liked how radiant my skin was after only one use.

Does it Work: Yes. It cleanses and moisturizes. You may not feel as if your skin is clean, but trust me, it is. It works great, but its not meant to be the deep down super duper pore refining stuff that wages war on your skin. Its mainly just for everyday use when you're not having breakouts and you just need something gentle to cleanse skin, not make your skin its bitch.

How Do I Use It: First wet your face a teeny tiny bit with warm water. This will open your pores and it will make cleansing easier. If you have a streamer skip the water and simply steam your face. Wipe off makeup with a cloth dampened with warm water to get rid of some of it. You may also want to go ahead and remove eyemakeup with an eyemakeup remover. Then put a dime sized amount in your palm and mix it with warm water (I also reccomend using BB Citrus Facial Scrub with this) to help it lather and to thin it out and make it easier to spread. If you feel as if you need more you can always use more than a dime sized amount. Then massage gently in a circular motion. Then wet a cloth with more warm water and scrub gently until the cleaser is off. You will probably feel like your face has a greasy film or residue on it, but its the moisturizing oils in it. They sort of act as a force field against dirt and "bad oil" and makeup getting trapped in your pores. To shrink pores rinse with splashes of cold water. Pat dry with a towel which will also help get rid of some of the residue. Then I use a BB toner (Wild Lettuce or Garden Tomato, depending) to help shrink pores and get rid of the greasy feeling. Usig the toner REALLY helps a lot. Then I use the carrot day creme afterwards and apply makeup OR an emoillent for the night and go to bed. I always wake up with radiant, soft skin. I haven't had a breakout in ages. I have never had softer, cleaner, more radiant skin than I do now.

Cost: I got mine in a starter kit so I don't know.

Is it Worth the Price Tag: I would say so.

Would You Buy it Again: Oh yeah!!

Where to Get it: Online at www.burtsbees.com or you can get it in other online stores. You can also get them anywhere starter kits are sold such as Books-A-Million, Bath and Body Works, or Cracker Barrel. continued >>

on 1/21/2005 11:33:00 PM

I love this cleanser! I admit that it seems a little grimey- but it actually does clean! I suppose it's more like a cold cream-it cleans, but you feel the cleanest after you've wiped it off with a towel. I have combination skin that is sometimes oily but I get those dry patches that I'm tempted to pick off- this stuff acts like a light moisturizer afterwards and your face feels really smooth. My dry patches went away and my face actually started to clear up!

on 1/17/2005 8:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I Love this product! I have very OILY skin and this stuff works!! But the packaging directions are not very precise. Here is how I use it: Put a dime size amount of the cleanser in the palm of your hand. Add a few drops of warm water to the cleanser. mix well. put on your face in a massaging motion. wet a washcloth under HOT water (but not scalding hot!!) place on face, and remove cleanser. your face will feel silky, not greasy. Let dry completly. Oily skin does not need a seperate moisturizer! I use this morning & night. The smell is heavenly, like an orange grove! this cleanser looks different, the packaging is plain, (but it 's workable) it looks pretty thick (that's why you thin it out with warm water) and the oils in this product are "good" oils. Completely natural. Makes my face feel balanced out, no acne, no blackheads. And the price is very reasonable $8.00 at Shaws supermarket.

on 1/16/2005 1:04:00 PM

I like this cleanser. It took me a few times of using it to figure out whether or not I liked it. It's kind of thick and leaves a bit of residue (I guess) on your face, but I follow with the Burt's Bees lettuce toner and it leaves my skin feeling amazing. Would buy again.

on 12/29/2004 4:00:00 PM

Love the smell, but this makes me feel as though I've smeared axle grease on my face. I had to use two other cleansers and a toner to eliminate the gunk and restore my face to some semblance of cleanliness. Not sure I can bring myself to try again--it really felt awful.