Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

Price: $

Price: $

on 2/22/2010 5:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This powder is plain and simple, which I love. It keeps me matte all day long over my foundation & primer. It's relatively cheap, and although the packaging is cute and retro-y, it's difficult to figure out. I stubbornly ripped off the clear plastic thing and poured a bit into my empty bare minerals containers, but it seems to be to fine and sooo much slips out. I heard of other people poking holes in the plastic and using it like that, but I like to have my powder in something smaller where I can whirl my brush in and put it on my face. The smell reminds me of baby powder but it goes away and I can't smell it all day, it doesn't bother me much since it smells nice and clean. If anyone has any other suggestions on how else to contain this powder, let me know ;)

on 2/21/2010 8:47:00 PM

Love love love coty powder! I use the translucent extra coverage one. Having extremely oily skin, this stuff really keeps me matte through out the day. I just dust a light layer all over my face before applying my mineral makeup. The packaging super cute and retro, and even though others do not seem to like it, I really enjoy the "vintage" smell it has. Cheap, effective, and lasts a loonnngg time. I would cry if they ever discontinued this stuff.

on 1/16/2010 3:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

i've used this in suntan. n it leaves a dirty trail in my face when i got sweat. instead i got wrong shade (suntan is pink shade,n im definitely not pink),but the dirty trail enough to keep me away from this product. sorry

on 1/10/2010 8:04:00 AM

I bought this based off of the good reviews and was totally turned off by the smell! I couldn't get past the awful, extremely perfumed smell to actually test the product. I felt like I was choking on it until I washed my face! There is a ton of product, but the packaging is not great either. I could see dropping this package and powder flying everywhere. It's cheap, but definitely not worth it to me. The smell is ICK!

Totally turned off by buying because of the high hazard chances!

on 12/7/2009 1:08:00 PM

This is my far the best value for a translucent loose powder. It is pretty inexpensive, goes a long way, and does exactly what it needs to do. I dust it over my face after applying foundation to set the foundation. I've extremely pale and I don't ever see that it darkens my makeup at all. I have oily, acne-prone skin, but it gets very dry patches in the winter. It works very well the whole year round, so it's good for all skin types. And, because it's translucent, it works for most skin colors, too. I can't speak for those with the darkest complexions since I clearly am at the other end of that spectrum, but it does work for lighter tones.

The only thing that I don't like about the Coty Airspun Face Powder is that when you buy it, it's nearly impossible to get that package open. The cover that sits inside the tub is very difficult to pull out and when you do get it out, it sprays powder everywhere. But, that's the only flaw.

The way I use it is I take a big powder brush, dip it into the powder, then swirl the brush around in the lid and tap extra powder off to get even distribution on the brush. Then, I lightly dust it all over my face in a circular motion.

on 11/24/2009 8:41:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I ususally have four of these on hand at any given moment.

For years I have watched my mother use this powder and have the most awesome skin. I started to use this in the 80's when I read that Madonna used this powder in a shade called Rachel (since discontinued). At that time I was impressionable and thought I cared what rock stars used or wore.

Being an old lady has taught me better. I now look for quality, price, and absolute performance.

And this product does just that -- performs absolutely well.

I do understand that some don't like the fragrance -- to me the fragrance is comparable to Guerlain's Les Meteorites at a 10th of the price. The packaging is so out, it is back in -- as in Green and deco looking. I love it cause with my propensity for dropping things, it does not break.
The box could use a half sifter but I too poke about 10 pinpricks and it works perfectly well. Sometimes we look to modernize things which have worked for decades and in this case I love it just the way it is.

I use the Naturally neutral and would in all honesty compare the finish to my Becca Eggshell. I alternate powders depending on what my foundation is -- and to be honest the Becca is more drying than the Coty.

For professional use I do use this also to mop up shiny noses, bald heads and shoulders and it is magnificent. Application tip: use a powder puff to pack this onto your face, then spritz with Evian or MAC Fix, and buff. If you need to look more matte (TV or photo work) buff some more powder with a MAC 187.

A great product at a great price!

on 11/23/2009 9:30:00 PM

Edit: I have to correct myself on one thing... Naturally Neutral isn't entirely neutral. I finally got to see this in natural light and noticed that it does make my face pinker/ruddier. If you have skin with even slightly warm tones like me, be weary of these powders. They're all pink-toned, though to different degrees.

Original review:
I bought Naturally Neutral, but I looked at the other colors offered at CVS. A quick mini-guide to a few of the colors:
TRANSLUCENT: Definitely pink-toned, but not overly so.
MUTED BEIGE: Pink-toned, not too different from translucent. Maybe NW25 and lighter, depending on the application.
NATURALLY NEUTRAL: The most neutral of the bunch. It's not warm/yellow by any means, but if you have have a neutral skin tone, it should work for you. The shade is similar to Muted Beige. NW/NC25 and lighter, depending on application.
HONEY BEIGE: Very, very, very peachy-pink toned. It's a really rosy color. It's the darkest of the bunch, but still fairly light.

Onto the review!
As I have mentioned, I bought Naturally Neutral. Currrently, it's winter here, so my skin is lighter, NC20-25, and this shade is a good shade. I'm confident that this will match slightly lighter skin. However, it probably won't work for NC25-30 (my summer color!) and darker. By poking tiny holes in the cover (thank you for the tip, MUAers!) you get very fine powder - and thus very natural looking coverage! It definitely doesn't cover my dark post-acne marks (I never expected it to) and it does not cover minor discolorations, but it somehow smooths out my complexion so that, overall, it looks like I have fairly good skin. (Minus the acne marks, of course.) I would have taken off a lippie if this was marketed solely as a powder foundation, but since it's more of a setting powder... Well, it lives up to its claims. :)

I was actually planning to buy Maybelline's Dream Matte Pressed Powder, but this caught my eye. Naturally Neutral looks like Maybelline's Dream Matte Pressed Powder in Cream (Light 4-5) but with less pigmentation. (More *diluted* with talc?) Coty is a buck cheaper, and has a lot more product. I'll repurchase if I ever run out.

Oh yes and I LOVE the packaging! I'm not crazy about retro stuff, but this is so cute! :D

I used to use this as a primer back in the day before primers were all the rage. It really gave me a flawless finish. Found it the other day when I was browsing CVS. I forgot how much I loved it! Only problem I have is that it leaves a little powder trail. Other than that it helps keep the oilies at bay and leaves a nice flawless finish.

I had to update this review. I hadn't used this product in a while and decided to use this as my primer today with my studio fix fluid over it. If you have acne prone/Sensitive skin I DO NOT recommend this method. But if your skin is hearty like mine try it. My foundation lasted a full 12 hours! As I type this my blush is still perfect. I can see that my foundation has lasted with minimal oil. it honestly looks like I just applied everything. It never looked cakey. Apply with a very light hand. Was wicked happy. Just thought I would share. :)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I like using this to help remove the acess oil from my face! I brought two for the price for one so it is a good bargain! I love the paper container then only problem i have is that you cant travel with it unless you poke only one hole in the contanier or if you carry it in a separate compact with a sifter! Has a strange smell of vintage but that doesnt bother me i kind of like it!