October 30, 2014 | 1699 users online

Loose Powders - Coty - Airspun Loose Face Powder

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2009 12:40:00 PM More reviews by rupertlilly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Iíve been using this product for the past 3 months, I use it daily, in the morning to set my makeup and then midday to refresh my makeup. I can safely say this product is not intended for oily skin. I have extremely oily skin and this powder has done nothing to help control the shine or oil on my face. I actually think it might make my skin even oilier (if thatís at all possible). Also, after using blot papers and then applying this powder it appears to be cakey and splotchy in coverage. I guess for $7 at the drugstore what should you expect? I hate to break the great rating but this product did not deliver.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2009 12:57:00 AM More reviews by DLYNN

I tried this product in one of the translucent fair shades years ago but it was too light and too messy. I was younger then and didn't appreciate the older packaging or loose powder in general. Now that Coty cosmetics are discontinued save this powder, I've come back to it, and this time with a new appreciation for its history. Of course, finding the right color for my skintone ó Honey Beige, 070-32 ó makes a big difference. I no longer look like a ghost as was the case when I used a fairer shade years ago.

What strikes me about this product above all is the scent. It's somewhat akin to a muted baby powder/violet scent. I've never applied a powder to my face that smelled so good, and that alone will keep me coming back to this product time and time again. Sure, loose powders are messy ó especially this one because talc-based products are extremely fine like baby powder. And true, this doesn't conceal flaws in the skin as well as Physicians Formula mineral makeup in compact form, which is the only reason it misses a perfect rating.

What is different about this color, in particular, is that while it looks overtly peachy it doesn't impart an artificial orange cast or a greyish beige tone as is frequently the case with many drugstore brands. Coty Airspun powders, in general, tend to be rather translucent, which is to say that it does not dim the complexion or impart an unnatractive ashen tone. And as others have pointed out, this product does a good job wicking away the appearance of oil for hours on end. Benefits aside, I love the retro packaging. What's more eco-friendly than a biodegradable cardboard box, after all? And that powder puff illustration ó that is a hand-drawn illustration dating back to the 1930s. When are you ever going to see anything on a product package these days that wasn't designed on a computer?

Now unlike others, I didn't pierce the plastic with a pin to create a sieve. It is possible, rather, to lift the inner seal out, at which point it is possible to access the loose powder beneath without mutilating the package. I then dip a brush in and tap the excess off the brush back into the reservoir. However, I didn't throw away the topper. I use it as a seal to prevent the loose powder from escaping the box when I take off the outer lid.

Coty is still very much alive and well as a company, but they appear to concentrate mostly on manufacturing fragrances these days. This Airspun Powder is the only remaining cosmetic product they make. I sincerely hope the company brings back the Coty lipcolor in those adorable brass tubes my mother once used. Don't they know that retro is in? If it looks and feels Old School that's not necessarily a drawback. There are, after all, entire brands that have been established to mimic the appeal of vintage cosmetics. Why not bring back actual vintage formulations and package designs? More importantly, unlike today's moisture lipstick forumlas that go on like soft butter, Coty lipcolor was high in wax and pigment and a single tube would not only last forever but a single application would last all day (and into the night without the aid of makeup remover). Now those were the days. Thankfully, this one true classic has survived. In my area, finding this product is hit or miss. The only drugstore that appears to consistently stock Coty Airspun Powder is CVS, priced at about $6.99.

12 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2009 8:47:00 PM More reviews by ggordil

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I saw this powder on one of those magazine spreads. The ones that saw beauty for less of something along those lines. So I looked for it at walgreens the next time I went, and they had one container left of the translucent one. It comes in an aqua colored box.

When I first started using it, I would put way too much on, but I have learned to use just a little bit. I do use it everyday, either to set me foundation or alone.

I have very oily skin, so even if I use this, I end up needing to blot, but I don't believe there is any powder that could keep my skin matte all day. So this is good enough for me.

Oh one more thing. The smell reminds me of the olden days too. I kinda like that though.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/30/2009 2:30:00 PM More reviews by mrsmacdonald

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

The only thing besides the packaging I don't like is the smell, but the coverage is so good. It did bother my eyes when I put it on my lids, so I just avoid the eye area when putting it on. I can't use this anymore because of the smell...:(

rated 4 of 5 on 5/22/2009 2:58:00 PM More reviews by skiddy2004

I BOUGHT THIS PRODUCT YESTERDAY AND I USED IT ON ONE OF MY CLIENTS. SHE LOVED IT AND I LOVED. ALTHOUGH IT IS NOT FOR OLIVE AND + SKIN TONES IT WILL GIVE YOU THAT NICE SETTING TO MASK OUT UNDER EYE CIRCLES!!! PRETTY MUCH I GIVE AN 8 OUT OF 10!! ANOTHER THING I RECOMMEND IS TO NOT TEAR OUT THE PLASTIC LINING ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS MAKE TINY LITTLE HOLES ABOUT 6 OF THEM WITH A SAFETY PIN SO YOU CAN GET THE POWDER OUT OF THERE!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2009 7:42:00 PM More reviews by TheVamp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I always used MAC Mineralize Skinfinish powder but have wanted to try Coty. I have very oily skin and have had to blot it 2 times a day but
I found that I don't have to at all with this powder!
The smell doesnt bother me at all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2009 11:20:00 PM More reviews by mmarrs

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

A very good powder use to set my makeup Love this classic

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2009 1:49:00 PM More reviews by lemonfresh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Some people say that Airspun has an old-lady fragrance, but to me, it's the smell of a young lady--me, buying it in my 20s because I didn't have a lot of money. When I moved into my 30s, I tried many other powders, including department store brands, but none of them was any better than Airspun, which is light yet still mattifies and keeps foundation fresh.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/29/2009 5:00:00 AM More reviews by Yogal28

I got this from Drugstore.com and got it in Neutrally Natural or was it Naturally Neutral? Whatever it is, i don't like this powder. It goes on cakey on me and it was just too pale for my liking. Very unnatural. I think it cause my skin to react abit, some itch here n there although nothing serious....i don't find offense with the scent although i prefer it scentless...i would apply this on body instead and would not repurchase again. I'll stick with my Milani powder instead, they work fine n well for me so far except that i need to get it online, over here, the price is quite steep for the powder.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2009 9:42:00 AM More reviews by Leal18

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I am in loooooooooove. I remember my grandmother used to use this all the time. Her skin was so pretty. :) Anyway, I hate liquid foundation and thought since I've been using Maybelline Purestay Powder Foundation, I would try this instead. I was worried it wouldn't 'stick' to my skin since I use no lotion or sunscreen right now. I work in an office with no windows so my only sun exposure is in the car ride to and from work. I am very sensitive to SS so I try to avoid the sun and the need for them. ANYWAY, I dusted this on this morning and MUCH TO MY DELIGHT, it sticks to my skin just fine. In fact, perhaps it's the mineral oil in it, but it actually COVERS the small blackheads on my nose that I just can't seem to get rid of. Even Purestay didn't do that. I have a nice healthy 'glow' and I'm not the least bit shiny after having worn it for almost four hours. I'll update if I have any issues but so far, I am VERY VERY happy to have found this.