October 23, 2014 | 1381 users online

Loose Powders - E.L.F. - Studio High Definition Powder

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2012 6:59:00 PM More reviews by Lenjamin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

First, as many reviewers have said, THIS PRODUCT IS MESSY! Be prepared. Like other reviewers, I punched holes in the top of the plastic covering using an old earing and sifted it out onto the included puff (and put it on my brush from there).
The packaging is nice to look at, however difficult/messy the product is. The black case it comes in makes it look way more expensive than the entirely reasonable $6.
On my skin, the product felt very light and gave me a nice texture. However, some settled into my trouble dry spots (my nose) and made it look even more dry, even though I just applied moisturizer before any makeup. The rest of my skin, including and especially my oily t-zone, looks fabulous. A few areas where the foundation and concealer didn't quite help my acne scars actually improved drastically; I've never seen my forehead look so good.

Overall:
-Messy, but can be remedied. Case looks nice.
-Price is super reasonable at $6. ELF is always running sales, so often times you can get it cheaper than that (I got mine for $6 at my local Target but bypassed shipping costs).
-Great for T-Zone areas, not so great for dry skin. If you have really bad dry patches, I suggested exfoliating/using extra moisturizer in those areas before application, or just not applying it in those areas at all. It tends to settle in a not-so-nice way on flakey areas.
-Best used as a setting powder, but does its job on its own for clear skin
-worked wonders on my acne scars.

As always with ELF, its definitely worth it just to try it. It's a steal, so if it doesn't work, you have nothing to lose :)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2012 9:02:00 PM More reviews by candibubblz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have been in need of a loose setting powder and I didn't want to drop 30-something bucks on a powder. I decided to try this one. I really like ELF so far and this was only $6. When reading reviews, I noticed reoccuring tips to puncture the sticker covering the holes. I used a push pin and made about 16 small holes or so. I also use the puff given in package ONLY to catch the product as I am shaking it. I then take a fluffy brush and take the powder from the puff. I find this makes the powder go on evenly without having patches on the brush where there is more than others.

Use sparingly! I barely any at all (this is going to last me forever, thank goodness!)

Results:
- Airbrush finish ( I never thought my skin could look so good)

- Great prevention for shine ( I worked a busy day at work where it's always hot and I looked in my car mirror when my shift was done and it looked like I just got to work! I usually look like...well like I worked a busy day in a place that's always hot haha!)

- Great job setting my make up (my make up loves to move around my face)

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a great setting product/want to keep shine away/want a poreless look, this is for you! But please please use sparingly and use a good brush to get the best results. I am so very happy with this, just in time for the warmer months! (I am betting this would work GREAT with tinted moisturizer--if I can ever get my skin to be clear haha)

rated 2 of 5 on 3/8/2012 9:13:00 AM More reviews by kristifisher

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

I really had high hopes for this product, but I am definitely disappointed. I did not use much at all, and I'm fair to begin with, but this just looked like white chalk dust all over my face, and it accentuated my dry areas. It also had larger white "chunks" mixed in with the powder. I tried applying with a brush and also with the puff thats included in the package.
The packaging feels cheap as well.
I will not be repurchasing this, and I will probably throw out the one I just bought.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2012 4:41:00 PM More reviews by swetareni

I have really oily skin. I use philosophy exfoliating wash in the morning and I normally do not apply any makeup just moisturizer and mac powder. I am using the elf hd powder now a days and I see my skin is getting less oily. I could dramatically see a great difference. Before my skin use to get really oily within 3 hours after my shower. I am a Physical Therapist and I have many ups and down the whole day and its wonderful to see that my face looks as fresh in the evening. I would definitely recommend this to someone with oily skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2012 5:00:00 AM More reviews by ilymed2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

A little goes a long way and gives a soft focused look when used as finishing powder. Seems to reduce look of fine lines and pores. Overuse could come out a bit powdery but has never gone cakey on me. Seemed the same as MUFE HD Powder at a fraction of the price.

Uses:
-Buff small amount with kabuki brush over bbcream/tinted moisturizer/foundation to cut shine.
-With a small round brush I sweep a tiny amount on top of my eye concealer. Keeps it in place without sinking into lines.
-After applying lipstick/lipliner/gloss, with small brush sweep powder just above lip-line/lipstick to sharpen the line and keep lip products from traveling.
-If foundation seems a tad dark this helps lighten a bit.
-Sets foundation on legs. Seems to keep foundation on legs without transfer better than other powders. Very useful for back of knees.
------------------------------
Problems:
-Use with caution in photographs.
-Can be too drying for some skin types. I can't use on flakey skin days.
-Might give white cast to darker skin tones.
-Too much looks ghastly.
-Not great with bronzed looks.

As others said, leave sticker on sifter and poke a few holes through the tape/sifter so product doesn't come out too rapidly. Apply clear tape and poke holes through it, if you've already removed sticker. I turn container over with top on and use the little bit of product left behind in the top to avoid using too much.

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2012 9:48:00 PM More reviews by Sasy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this stuff. Used it over the mineral infused foundation primer and flawless finish foundation. It gave me a Chanel makeup look at a fraction of the cost. Flawless about sums it up.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2012 1:58:00 PM More reviews by autumnrainbow

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is a decent setting powder, I think the ingredients rival a lot of more expensive ones and for $6 it is a pretty good deal. That being said, I feel like the packaging could be improved, it is really hard to open and close all the way, so I usually leave it almost closed, but not tight , to make it easier to get into. So with it like that the lip is uneven with the base. Also I flipped it over like that to try to get more of the powder to come out onto the top part and it started coming out the sides. I wish the packaging were better, I feel like I waste a lot of product trying to get it out and stuff....

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/26/2012 3:10:00 PM More reviews by marmaladecat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I love a lot of E.L.Fs stuff, but I regret to say I'm under-whelmed by this! My skin actually looks better without it and given it's one of E.L.Fs more expensive products (6.00 on the UK website), I was disappointed.

Good points: It does make my skin's texture look smoother and it does mattify effectively.

Negatives: I'm pale and even though I applied this sparingly, I still ended up looking washed out; my complexion just looked dull. I also found it to be really drying on my skin; perhaps those with oilier skin would find this better.

As some others have mentioned, it's a good idea to leave the plastic sticker covering the holes where the powder comes out and just pierce a few holes in the sticker yourself. I didn't do this-I just took the whole sticker off and found the powder came out in huge quantities and just made a mess in general!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2012 9:18:00 AM More reviews by Siath

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This powder was a good suprise for me! I did not expect much of the product but is amazing!
My skin looks really good, reduces pores and fine expressions lines and the most important don't crease.
The result is matte but not a artificial matte!
The powder is messy if you are not careful I didn't have problems with the package .I apply with the sponge that comes with the product or sometimes with a fluffy brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2012 3:51:00 PM More reviews by annersz

First off, i will only write a review about something that i really like or really hate! .I brought this to kinda just buy it due to the reviews on makeupalley. At first i didnt know who to do with it so it has just been sitting on my table for a while. One day i wanted to do something with it. usally ill set my foundation/concealer with a regular powder, but i find that it always looks dry or creasy under my eyes. i used this under my eyes only. and wow, not only did it look smooth it actually stayed smooth looking for the whole day and also it held up the concealer under my eye all day, i think im in love with this! Usally my undereye makeup will just melt off. also now i use it in my tzone areas and where i have large pores! Try this! You wont be disapointed!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No