December 22, 2014 | 1379 users online

Loose Powders - E.L.F. - Studio High Definition Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2012 11:13:00 PM More reviews by PrettyKitty86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love,love,love!!! Never wanna be without....this is my fav setting powder for foundation..Really good for dry/combo skin like mine because it NEVER looks cakey or clings to dry patches and at the same time it controls my oily t-zone.... So awesome that elf started making this cuz I had really been wanting to try the make up forever HD powder but didn't wanna pay like $30 (which I already do for my msf natural, but this keeps me from using that one so much..) Anywhoo, Go get this! It's only like $6 for a huge container and is like the softest powder I've ever tried...probly not the best for travel but I don't find it extremely messy as others have mentioned...Oh yeah, if u do notice a white cast with this, u r probly using to much or didn't buff it in enough..

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2012 4:52:00 PM More reviews by papillon212

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am surprised at the reviewers saying that this product is messy, I have not had a problem with that! I actually love the container because the lid stays firmly on (I've had issues with other loose powders).
This powder is a good product to set your make-up, it has NO color unlike many other supposedly translucent powders. It is also the exact same formula as the MUFE powder, but is only 6 dollars. If you have white residue, you are applying it wrong. Don't use the puff, that thing is worthless. I use a kabuki brush.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2012 12:25:00 PM More reviews by marippe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

was very happy to see that target has started to carry some of the other elf products - this is one i've been wanting to try forever! it is incredibly messy [should have read reviews on here first about keeping the sticker and poking holes through it] so i put some tape over the openings and did the same thing lol. As for how it works, i'm pretty impressed so far. no whitecast look, just a matte face [which is what i want!] it lasted fairly well during my work day, but because of the messy application i didn't bring it along with me. This is going to last for a while, and I have some other setting powders i'd like to try out.. but a yes to a repurchase to support it ;)

rated 2 of 5 on 3/16/2012 3:15:00 AM More reviews by nurrayayn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Read about how good the powder is here. But when i purchase to try it on myself, it was rather disappointing.

The powder didnt do anything much to my skin and its just leave my face all white after usage. Will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2012 12:41:00 PM More reviews by stellar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This stuff is awesome! I've never even found a primer that smooths my fine lines and pores better than this powder does. In fact, lately I've been trying to find a good primer that will make my pores look smaller and haven't really been successful. I bought this powder not realizing that that is one of the benefits, and was happily surprised! It smooths everything over and makes my face look soft and airbrushed, yet natural. It also lasts *very* well and really helps my makeup stay on. The packaging looks pretty nice, though it's a little impractical. It's rather large and bulky so it's a bit of a pain to have to carry with you in your purse or makeup bag. And it would be nice if it had a sifter cover on it so we didn't have to worry about punching holes in the top and still getting extra product out if you carry it around with you. I think I'm going to order some empty jars with the sifter covers on them just for this product. Keep the big one at home and carry the small one around with me. At $6 this product works better than any primer I've tried. I would highly recommend and will definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2012 7:39:00 PM More reviews by kr1sti

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I was kind of disappointed after my first use, as it didn't give that much desired airbrushed effect nor did it make my pores or fine lines disappear. In fact, it did NOTHING. I applied it with the puff that comes with the powder using light sweeping strokes, then tapping motions, and finally, a kabuki brush. And since the powder is not finely milled, it left quite a few chunks of powder on my face, eeks.

So it's been sitting in my drawer for a year until realised I've been using the wrong technique! This time I took a separate, smaller powder puff and applied the powder in pressing and rolling motions, pushing the powder into the skin until my whole face was covered with powder. Then I took a fluffy powder brush and knocked off the excess, working thoroughly to make sure that no white patches were left. Et voilą - (nearly) flawless, bullet proof base for your makeup.

What I like the most is the smooth, silky feel that this powder gives, and how it leaves my skin mattified for good 8 hrs without touch-ups. This powder is especially good when your liquid or cream foundation is on the sticky/greasy side, even after buffing it in and setting it with powder (dusting lightly, as the majority of us do, I suppose).

And I kind of like the subtle whitening effect of this powder, as the majority of my foundations are too dark for my ghostly pale skin, but that's just my preference. I am not sure how this powder performs on darker skins or for those with dry skin.

I washed the puff that comes with this powder and now use it as a lid for the sifter.

Will definitely repurchase, as it improves my skin appearance without clogging pores or breaking me out.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2012 6:59:00 PM More reviews by Lenjamin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

First, as many reviewers have said, THIS PRODUCT IS MESSY! Be prepared. Like other reviewers, I punched holes in the top of the plastic covering using an old earing and sifted it out onto the included puff (and put it on my brush from there).
The packaging is nice to look at, however difficult/messy the product is. The black case it comes in makes it look way more expensive than the entirely reasonable $6.
On my skin, the product felt very light and gave me a nice texture. However, some settled into my trouble dry spots (my nose) and made it look even more dry, even though I just applied moisturizer before any makeup. The rest of my skin, including and especially my oily t-zone, looks fabulous. A few areas where the foundation and concealer didn't quite help my acne scars actually improved drastically; I've never seen my forehead look so good.

Overall:
-Messy, but can be remedied. Case looks nice.
-Price is super reasonable at $6. ELF is always running sales, so often times you can get it cheaper than that (I got mine for $6 at my local Target but bypassed shipping costs).
-Great for T-Zone areas, not so great for dry skin. If you have really bad dry patches, I suggested exfoliating/using extra moisturizer in those areas before application, or just not applying it in those areas at all. It tends to settle in a not-so-nice way on flakey areas.
-Best used as a setting powder, but does its job on its own for clear skin
-worked wonders on my acne scars.

As always with ELF, its definitely worth it just to try it. It's a steal, so if it doesn't work, you have nothing to lose :)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2012 9:02:00 PM More reviews by candibubblz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have been in need of a loose setting powder and I didn't want to drop 30-something bucks on a powder. I decided to try this one. I really like ELF so far and this was only $6. When reading reviews, I noticed reoccuring tips to puncture the sticker covering the holes. I used a push pin and made about 16 small holes or so. I also use the puff given in package ONLY to catch the product as I am shaking it. I then take a fluffy brush and take the powder from the puff. I find this makes the powder go on evenly without having patches on the brush where there is more than others.

Use sparingly! I barely any at all (this is going to last me forever, thank goodness!)

Results:
- Airbrush finish ( I never thought my skin could look so good)

- Great prevention for shine ( I worked a busy day at work where it's always hot and I looked in my car mirror when my shift was done and it looked like I just got to work! I usually look like...well like I worked a busy day in a place that's always hot haha!)

- Great job setting my make up (my make up loves to move around my face)

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a great setting product/want to keep shine away/want a poreless look, this is for you! But please please use sparingly and use a good brush to get the best results. I am so very happy with this, just in time for the warmer months! (I am betting this would work GREAT with tinted moisturizer--if I can ever get my skin to be clear haha)

rated 2 of 5 on 3/8/2012 9:13:00 AM More reviews by kristifisher

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

I really had high hopes for this product, but I am definitely disappointed. I did not use much at all, and I'm fair to begin with, but this just looked like white chalk dust all over my face, and it accentuated my dry areas. It also had larger white "chunks" mixed in with the powder. I tried applying with a brush and also with the puff thats included in the package.
The packaging feels cheap as well.
I will not be repurchasing this, and I will probably throw out the one I just bought.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2012 4:41:00 PM More reviews by swetareni

I have really oily skin. I use philosophy exfoliating wash in the morning and I normally do not apply any makeup just moisturizer and mac powder. I am using the elf hd powder now a days and I see my skin is getting less oily. I could dramatically see a great difference. Before my skin use to get really oily within 3 hours after my shower. I am a Physical Therapist and I have many ups and down the whole day and its wonderful to see that my face looks as fresh in the evening. I would definitely recommend this to someone with oily skin.