E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

4.2

on 5/16/2012 3:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

It's a lovely setting powder for normal to oily skin. It feels so nice on the skin. The problem is firstly the packaging, it's ridiculously bulky!, and the issue with flash photos. My birthday photos this year feature me with a tanned body and very white face :P This and flash DO NOT GO!

Good powder but not for nights out. Also love the sponge provided for my mac blot powder (it's better made than the mac one and has a little handle and fits in the mac black powder cases)

x

on 5/13/2012 7:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Sets my makeup. Looks great - not like regular powders that can cake. I use a big, puffy brush to put it on.

I use a light hand when I apply - if I don't it looks odd. I have dry patches sometimes (if I use acne meds) and I can't wear it on the days after I use BPxide or the day after a drying mask.

If I am using a foundation or sunscreen that is slightly oily, I put it on under my foundation, over the sunscreen. Like a primer, as another reviewer suggested. Works GREAT that way.

$6 at Target. Can't beat the price. Will repurchase.

on 5/11/2012 11:01:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Finally bought this today after thinking that $6 was a lot for an ELF product. I just don't get the hype. I have very dry skin and this made me look white and dry, not the look I was going for. Perhaps I applied to much. I will continue to experiment, but so far, not happy.

on 5/8/2012 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

After being on the fence about this powder, I recalled someone posting on here how they used it UNDER makeup, almost like a primer. I tried that this morning and was blown away. I have struggled with trying to find a foundation that would cover my scars and rosacea without looking caked-on. The use of this powder prior to foundation just gave my skin a smoother surface to start from (I've tried using actual primers, they do nothing but break me out). I tried stippling it onto bare skin and then buffing in, THEN applying liquid foundation with a foundation brush. Voila! My foundation looked awesome right out of the gate, and I knew I was on to something. I also normally have to blot and then reset my makeup around mid-morning. However, I went to check on it and I still looked fresh. And my face feels softer and pores aren't so prominent. Definitely not having to retouch with powder so much throughout the day in my ever-oily T-zone either. Using it in this way, I'm not so on the fence anymore with this product.

Update (6/5/11)...This powder is really making my skin "look" dry and powdery and I have oily skin! Really weird. Not sure what the deal is, but back on to the search to find the HG. I think you have to pretty much have perfect skin to use this, else it can emphasize imperfections (i.e. acne) and make you look older. Definitely used a light hand and it feels nice enough on. I just didn't like how it looked on skin.

on 5/7/2012 3:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i have oily skin so i usually always buy a matte foundation, and i have never used a powder to set my make up. however, i decided to try the l'oreal true match foundation bt it was only after i tried it properly that i realised it made my skin too shiny and i must have got the wrong colour because it looked really orange. i had heard about the elf powder and read reviews on here, so i thought i would try it. i have to say, i love it! it is very fine and looks amazing! it does lighten the colour of my foundation, but this is good for me because it makes it look much less orange and more natural. powder can make you look overdone, but if you use this right it looks natural. i use the powder puff it comes with to pat it over my face. yes it can give a white cast but only if you cake it on and don't blend it properly. oh and i have found that it lasts most of the day, when i get home there is a tiny bit of shine but this can be solved with a quick retouch halfway through the day.

on 4/25/2012 10:32:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

WHY are E.L.F. products so inconsistent in their quality?? I love the concept of a cheap but high performance makeup brand (especially one that's animal product and cruelty free), but this brand has been so unpredictable. I have had some real duds from them, while at the same time some of my very favorite products are E.L.F. What gives?

This product is amazing. It really sets my makeup and makes it look flawless. I just use the puff it comes with (pressing it into my makeup to help it set/control shine) and then use a kabuki or all-over brush to smooth everything out. It's phenomenal and so micro-milled... very fine while still doing what you need it to do. And such an inexpensive price! If you can find it, grab a couple pots before it goes out of stock.

The one thing that would make me love it more would be the packaging. I know ELF are cost-efficient for a reason, but I would pay a couple dollars more for this powder if it had a screw-in cover for the sifter (similar to the way BareMinerals is now packaged). It wold just keep too much product from spilling out if the pot gets jostled or turned around. The puff does a pretty good job of keeping it in there, but if you put this stuff in a suitcase or overnight back and it gets banged around more than a little bit, I can see it getting messy. Just a suggestion ;) I still love it and consider it indispensable in my daily routine.

on 4/17/2012 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I have to say that this is the best setting powder I've ever used. I haven't tried the MUFE HD powder, though, since I can't really justify spending that much on a setting powder. I think it's an acceptable price for foundation but definitely not just translucent powder. So I can't compare the two.

That being said, someone mentioned something along the lines of a bulletproof base for makeup, and I have to agree. What amazes me the most is how well it controls the oil on my face. I can go 8+ hours without my face getting shiny at all. After that I start to get a little oily but it's much better than my other powders in the past, which would be a couple of hours, give or take.

What I *love* to do with this powder, even when not wearing foundation, is to set concealer or just brush over my eyes before I put on eyeliner. I have watery eyes and oily eyelids, and normally my eyeliner and mascara would be smudging after a few hours. With this powder; I applied my makeup at 6am this morning and at 10pm right now, there is absolutely no smudging. My eyeliner/mascara has not budged. I would normally be raccoon eyed by now. I even have my contacts on and there's still no smudging.

While I agree that this can cake easily and lighten your face if you use too much, I rate this powder a 5 for just controlling oil so well, which is all I'm looking for in a powder. I don't use much because I'm afraid of a white cast, so I haven't seen anything like that in photos. If you tend to go heavy handed with setting powder, though, I recommend not using a translucent finishing powder in general.

I do want to note as well that this is the only finishing powder that does not break me out *at all*. Normally mattifying powders break me out like nothing else, but this does not have a negative effect on my skin.

For those looking for oil control and not spending a lot of $$$ for just finishing powder, I highly recommend this.

on 4/17/2012 6:28:00 PM

I seriously dont understand how someone could complain about this product especially for the price! I love the way this product works and the way it sets my makup, plus it keeps it on all day and does not allow oil build up on my T-zone. If you are looking a little on the pale side it's probably because you are putting a bit too much on, just a small amount of this goes a long way and this positive review is coming from a gal that has tried a lot of setting powders.

on 4/17/2012 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Overall, this is average. I would compare it to MUFE HD translucent powder. Practically same ingredients for a whole lot cheaper. Nothing controls the oil on my skin so I feel this is a good product for those with combo skin.

on 4/17/2012 4:00:00 PM

Why didn't I know about this before?! I have been using MUFE HD foundation and MAC powder. I came across this on a Target binge and had seen the reviews, so I thought for $6 you can't really cry if it's not as good as
You expected. I LOVED this!!! I think the reason people are getting a white
Face from it, is they're not applying it Correctly and using too much. You only need a little and I wouldn't use the puff they give with it. I find that loose powder always applies better with a powder brush! Elf has one that is also amazing. You can also fan it off with a brush after applying so that you get all the excess off..but I didn't find that necessary with my application.
It left my skin looking so pretty and soft, and really set my foundation perfect. It's great. I love it!

Video Reviews & Tutorials