September 20, 2014 | 1885 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2010 1:09:00 AM More reviews by wildviolet

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been using Retin-A for exactly one year. I was starting to get fine lines, crepey skin probably due to health and lifestyle factors. I started out by using Renova religiously everynight under my eyes and then I slowly started using it on the rest of my face as my skin grew more tolerant. Currently I am alternating between 0.05% and 0.1% on my entire face nightly. After a year of nightly application of Retin-A to my face and under my eyes, I can see a positive difference. My skin is much smoother and the fine lines are gone. I should stress that my results are not dramatic but subtle. I like how this product has worked for my eyes most of all. From my experience, not a lot of people use retin a under the eye area where the skin is so thin but it has worked for me. Initially, my under-eye area looked really bad for at least 2 months (more wrinkled, dry and crepey) but I stuck with it-- it paid off!! One of my major goals with this product is to increase the thickness of my thinning skin. So this year I am moving on to my neck which is really starting to show my age. I have just starting using Renova on my neck nightly or as tolerated. Hopefully I will have good results to report back a year from now. Edit: 12-1-10 Reporting back after a year- My eye area looks very good which is surprising given my lifestyle (lol) and my age. I use the 0.1% every night on my whole face. When I smile I have tons of dynamic wrinkles- it is just the way I was born --I have a huge smile and smile with my eyes. so I think it is a testiment to the Retin-A that I don't have a single permanent wrinkle (when I am not smiling). So I will continue to use it religiously because I like the results--I am a huge believer in Retin-A.

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2009 3:51:00 PM More reviews by njboy1967

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have used Retin-A in one form or another for over 15 years. Clients are always astounded when I tell them I am 46 years old. Retin-A is THE only product that works on the cellular level to produce collagen, works on resufacing and helps with age spots. I remember years ago my derm told me all I need is Retin-a, a good AHA, and a good sunblock, and he was right! I use a pre blended formula from his office, either Retin-A .01 with 3 % hydroquinone or 0.5 with 7 % hydroquinone. I love Retin-a and wish I can bathe in it! Update: still using Retin-A, not one line, wrinkle or brown spot. THE BEST <3

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2009 8:16:00 AM More reviews by kitkatz07

OMG!!!Where do I begin talking about this product. One minute I'll love this product and the next I'll hate it. I went to my dermatologist as to what I can do to get rid of my post acne hyperpigmentation and she took one look at my face and said vitamin A. that was the whole conversation and that was the first time I was introduced to Retin A. It was dirt cheap because it was free=) she gave me two. I knew nothing about this product and she was very detailed on how to apply this cream. She told me to start off every other day for two weeks and then gradually used it daily at night for another two weeks. The first two weeks I was using this was great, no side effects whatsoever. In fact the little bumps on my face started to diminished to the point where it was gone completely and my face was as smooth as ever.I would wake up in the morning trying too look at those annoying bumps that would just not go away for months. Im not even kidding I have tried everything to get rid of them and they would but after a few days it would come back and resulted to all the brown spots on my cheeks. Like I said i went to the dermatologist mainly for my hyperpigmentation and coincidently all the pesky pimples just disappeared and never came back. My face now is super soft and even out due also to a couple of products that i switch to.... But the side effects of this cream is intolerable for me, some people can use this for 3 months or more without any adverse effects but after the the first two week..my face started to flake and I never experienced flaking in my teenage years or adulthood, that along with redness all over my face as if I went tanning, oh and the worst I think I ever experienced with this product is the itching. To me the itching was insanely bad. I would scratch my whole effin face to the point where im already peeling no kidding and exageration when it comes to the itching part. Im constantly itching my forehead and especially my jawline...Now I only put Retin A on my cheek but it seems like my whole face is super itchy BUT my CHEEK I asked my dermatologist this and she said shes's not surprise becasue Retin A travels all over your face she even said she had a patient who complained that her lips was itching as well and she only put the cream on her face.. I had to stop the cream for a while because my face just couldn't tolerate it and i was prescribed a stronger hyrdocortisone cream to calm my face. my face started to go back to its original condition and i started retin a again with another cream in the morning and I dont use the retin a everyday anymore only 2 or 3 times a week but the cream im using in the morning is great. Im in love with it, it brightened my whole face and my hyperpigmentation is greatly fading and my face just has an even tone plus the bumps hasn't come back since which is awesome. I would recommend this for people who can tolerate this cream or if you dont have sensitive skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/16/2009 4:54:00 PM More reviews by theresheather

I've had a problem with persistent acne since I was 12. Black heads, white heads, and cystic acne have plagued me!

I've given just about everything you can find in a drugstore a try to no avail. I finally turned to my doctor for help. One of the options we've since tried is Retin-A.
A few notes from my experience:
-I never experienced the painful burning, itching, redness that some users have had.
-It barely put a dent in my skin's oil production.
-After four months I was still breaking out steadily and gave up on this one. I really don't think I saw any true improvement or even a change in my skin through my course. =(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2009 1:48:00 PM More reviews by A9M8L

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've suffered with acne for a really long time, and just general bad skin (blotchyness, scars, red marks, etc) and this is the ONLY thing that seems to consistently work for me. Its kinda a long road to good skin when starting because you either go through super dry skin, or breakouts or both, and it seems it will never go away, but it does. I was using it, then stopped and realized my skin looks best when i'm using it so i started again. I need someone to hit me when i stop using it because nothing works as well. I guess i go through phases where i want to find a simpler routine where i'm don't feel like i NEED a product to have good skin. But my skin is just so sensitive and acne prone that i just NEED this stuff. I don't think it actually heals acne scars, but it makes them look so much less noticeable. And i use cetaphil cream like crazy over this stuff to make my skin less dry, and lansinoh lanolin (for breastfeeding mothers....weird, but it WORKS) for my lips, because they get super dry and painful. If you have bad skin and nothing seems to work, try this! Don't fool yourself with crappy benzoyl peroxide products, they are bad for your skin!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2009 9:36:00 PM More reviews by BlackPinStripes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

prescribed to me by my dermatologist :] usually my acne scars take monthss to clear up but with this, they are almost gone with in about 2 weeks. it also makes your skin smoother, helps a bit with acne.
skin is very sensitive to this though so just fyi redness after application and drying is normal. also if it seems to get worse when you use this, give it a little more time.
i only dab a little on problem areas and moisturize after, and i only use it at night. btw, dont put it near the nose or eyes because the alcohol will sting your eyes/nose.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2009 1:38:00 AM More reviews by anabolina

Like others on here. I love this stuff. My derm tried to switch me to Tazorac, but my skin rebelled. I find whenever I stop taking this fo whatever reason (ex: waiting for shipment from India) I get breakouts. And whenever I start using it again, my skin calms down. I started out with retin-a micro which is good, but am now taking retin-a since I don't have insurance and have to order it from overseas and only the generic is available. I was using .04 earlier this year from some samples the derm gave me, but started my trusty .10 back again when I ordered my next shipment. The .04 didn't control my acne as well. I didn't have many breakouts, but I would have perhaps 2-4 pimples a month with it whereas .10 allows maybe 1 per month.

I do truly love this. I use the gel, although it does have a sort of alcohol smell and is more drying then the retin a micro cream was. I can live with it. This is totally worth it to control my acne. Whenever I run out of my prescriptions I have a much more complex array of products I use to control my skin, but I still break out. This stuff is pretty awesome, I've been using retin-a instead of the retin-a micro for 2 years now and its still going strong.

Now this stuff is not a micracle product. My pores are still pretty large and I do still have scarring and those lovely pits on my face from picking at acne. They are dimished, but have never gone away.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/15/2009 11:46:00 PM More reviews by JenneVonH

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have not personally used this product but I work as an esthetician and just want to remind everyone who uses this product (or any Retinol or RetinA product) that you absolutely want to stay away from any facial waxing!! These products essentially thin the skin and also cause some dehydration which can be catastrophic if you attempt to remove any hair by waxing. Skin can be torn so easily during this treatment. Skin tears, sores, scars and scabs can be the result. Please let your esthetician know if you are using Retinols.

14 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2009 7:05:00 PM More reviews by greenbird

Retin-A has a long history of proven anti-aging benefits. Drug store and department store skin care with "retinol" often have a retinol derivative that is much weaker in potency than a prescription. It unclogs pores, stimulates collagen, and reduces fine lines. That said-doing this takes patience. It can be hell-I am on 0.050% and my mild hormonal acne has erupted to serious breakouts, and flaky/dry/irritated skin. Your skin will dry out and literally flake-so you need to manually exfoliate these flakes off with a washcloth or a gentle scrub from time to time. Don't go crazy since you're already exfoliating so much-wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a high SPF. And switch your cleanser to something very gentle-my cleanser is hypoallergenic, without fragrance. When I first used this, my blackheads were diminished and my pore size was smaller-then MY SKIN GOT WORSE-DRIED OUT, IRRITATED, RED, AND BIG BREAKOUTS FROM PURGING. Keep at it-your skin will thank you. You will have porcelain, smooth skin with smaller pores, finer texture, and reduced fine lines.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2009 3:06:00 AM More reviews by misselizabeth78

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I first started using Retin-A when I was 14. I had really bad acne that would not clear up no matter what I used and my grandmother took me to the dermatologist. The Dr. prescribed me Retin-A along with a few other things that I don't remember.
I started using it daily and I remember clearly how bad the peeling was at first. It was quite miserable and my skin quite literally was falling off ,my skin could be peeled off in huge patches just by pulling at it with tweezers. Of course my brother made terrible fun of me during the whole delima, but after a few months my acne was totally gone.
Now I have been using this over 15 years and I always get compliments on my skin, especially by people that know how old I am. My face has NO wrinkles, it is tight, firm, and glows always. I know I am only 32, but I have way fewer wrinkles than others my own age ( especially considering that I am fair skinned) I used to have freckles, now I forget that I did until I look at old photos.
I think this is hands down the best skin care product you can ever use, however you do need to get past the first few months of using it, they are quite awful, but if you continue....WOW

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No