Smashbox Photo Finish Light

3.5

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Carbomer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Triethanolamine, Decyl Glucoside, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Oligopeptide-10

on 12/5/2009 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I tried this light version hoping it helps my oily skin but sadly it does not. After two hours my face is shiny and greasy eww. Still looking for the best concealer.

on 12/3/2009 8:59:00 PM

I used the original clear Smashbox primer before I switched to this "Light" one and I love it. It has a mattefying quality that really helps my shiny face. And it plays really well with my Monistat Chafing powder-gel whenever I want to get the barely made-up translucent look. I really don't think the original clear Smashbox primer will play as well with my Monistat trick. I love it, I am on my 3rd bottle. But since I have not really ventured to other primer so far (like I do with category), I will not give it a full 5 lippie at this time.

on 11/24/2009 3:30:00 PM

I like this it isnt oily on me, my foundation stays on alot longer and goes on much more smoothly than without primer. I would deffenently buy this agian, it didnt get very good reveiews but in my opinion it works really well.

on 11/24/2009 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Phooey. I really should just give up on primers. This one, like others, didn't help at all with oiliness or make my makeup stay put any longer than usual. As for the claim that "light diffusers minimize the appearance of imperfections while vitamin C and peptides help even skin tone and promote collagen production for a flawless future," well, that's just flat-out gibberish. My skin looked and felt absolutely no different, and I used it for 2 weeks. Glad I got a sample of this from Sephora instead of buying it full-size.

on 11/15/2009 9:27:00 PM

It does not work for me. They say that this is for oily skin but what it does is that it makes my skin oilier!

It smells like glue to me and does not make a difference when I have this on or not.

on 11/7/2009 1:52:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I really dislike the packaging. But this primer really works for me. It makes my skin less shiny. It makes my makeup stay on all day. I'm a fan. Will be buying again and again regardless of the packaging.

It makes my foundation application a little easier but it doesn't help with making it last longer. I have oily/combo skin so I thought the light would be much better than the original. The original made me oilier within a few hours. This just gives me maybe an extra hour of wear. Not worth the price. There are better primers out there.

on 11/3/2009 3:22:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Check out my notepad to read a more detailed explanation of my facial skin type!

What it Claims:
"Our new oil-free, 60% water based primer is ideal for oily, acne-prone or sensitive skin. This silky blend of vitamins and antioxidants helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and pores for visibly softer skin and can be worn alone or under foundation to increase its longevity. The revolutionary formula has oil absorbers for a smooth matte finish all day, light diffusers to minimize the appearance of imperfections, and vitamin C and peptides to help even skin tone and promote collagen production for a flawless future."

Claims - True or False?
1) Reduce appearance of fine lines and pores: False. When I used it, my skin looked exactly the same with it on as it did without it on.
2) Soft skin: True. However, it didn't actually do anything to my skin - the silicone is what felt soft, not my skin.
3) Matte skin/finish all day: False. More like a few hours at most. Regardless of whether it was worn alone or under makeup, it kept my skin matte for a very short amount of time.
4) Promotes an even skin tone: False. My skin tone never changed, and none of those "special" ingredients benefited my skin in any way.

Packaging:
I believe that this is the only positive part of this product. I find that the packaging looks very slick and is useful for the product itself. You can clearly see how much is left, and it definitely does allow you go get every last drop. Somewhat of a clumsy design, but still pretty great.

Smell:
The smell.. well, the one thing that comes to mind is Elmer's Glue. I don't know why, but this primer reminds me of the smell of that glue, although not as strong. Definitely wasn't a bothersome smell, but just a "huh" type of smell. I think I actually somewhat liked the smell actually.

Consistency:
Like most silicone primers, very smooth. I would say that it resembles the consistency of a gel cream, semi thick and spreads thinly. I believe it dried somewhat powdery as well.

Ease of Use:
Because it is a pump, you must be careful with how hard you press down to ensure you do not dispense too much. With this in mind, it's still quite easy to use. The product is moderately easy in terms of application - if not done with a quick hand, you may not be able to apply it to the entire face properly.

Bang for your Buck:
Some will say that it is expensive. Which is true. But, it did seem to last me quite some time, at least 5 months with regular use. If you do not use makeup often, purchase the to-go tube instead.

Final Consensus:
Pretty on the outside, terrible on the inside. A product that makes a lot of claims, and just does not live up to its own hype. Definitely, go ahead and try it, but get a sample first. This primer definitely is not on my shopping list.

Overall Rating: 1/5
Price: 3/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

on 10/22/2009 12:20:00 AM

i got the sample of this primer last week and thank god i only have the sample! its definitely not worth buying. it makes your skins so oily therefore washes off your makeup. when i tried this primer i had to touch-up 3 times during the day because my face looks like i could fry eggs in them. totally gross!

so as much as my bestfriend loves this i will not buy this product!

on 10/7/2009 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I don't get the hype?! This primer is pretty awful, my makeup nor skin looks better when using this product, it smells like Elmer's Glue and I'm still oily up to 2 hours later...def. a waste of money...on to finding something better!