December 20, 2014 | 889 users online

Treatments (Face) - Lemon Juice

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2010 11:19:00 AM More reviews by lgray

After reading all the reviews on MUA I figured I'd give lemon juice a try and I'm very glad that I did! For the last few nights after washing my face I've been taking a thin slice of lemon and rubbing it all over my face, concentrating on my t-zone, which for me is usually very oily. I go lighter on other areas of the face that tend to be a little drier... Oh and avoid your brows! I leave it to try while I brush my teeth and then wash it off. Note: for me as it dries it's very itichy. After I wash I put on my regular nighttime moisturizer.

I love the lemon juice because it's so economical and all natural. I have noticed a big difference in the size of the pores on my nose (they are now non-existent.) I also love the way my skin feels after I wash off the lemon juice (really really clean) and when I wake up in the morning I'm not the oily mess that I usually am. I took off one lipstick because I have one pimple right now that it doesn't seem to be doing a thing for it... My skin is generally very clear and I was hoping that hitting this one zit with some lemon juice would be the miracle hit, but it doesn't seem to be going away any faster than it usually would. I'm not sure if it's just my skin or this particular pimple.

Overall, you'd be crazy not to try lemon juice. It's a great before-bed toner if you have areas that are generally oily on your face!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2010 4:03:00 PM More reviews by LolaBlue

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have been using lemon juice on my skin for years. I used to muck about w/ juicing it and applying the juice w/ cotton. Now I just chop a fresh lemon in half and rub the cut side on my face (or hands/feet/etc). Let it soak in for 5-10min, reapplying as it dries, and then rinse. it works great for exfoliating the skin and clearing up acne. I use it when my skin feels congested or just needs a boost. lemons will keep in the fridge for a long time, and of course they're very cheap. You can also do this w/ fresh tomatoes; not as exfoliating, but definitely brightens skin and fights acne.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2010 3:04:00 PM More reviews by elwoods17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow! I wish I had discovered this sooner! I have been using a vitamic C serum and I really liked the effect I was getting with it. It really evens skin tone and makes face look brighter! But serums can be so expensive! I paid 30 bucks for a small .5 oz bottle of Ole Henriksen Truth Serum! So, I thought why not use a fruit that is packed with vitamin C on my face? From my reading, I hear that vitamin c is very hard to keep bottled and fresh bc it looses its effect when not fresh so really it makes sense to make your own.

I made a little bottle of lemon juice (from fresh squeezed lemons) and diluted it with fresh spring water. The ratio is 2 parts lemon juice and 1 part water. I wash my face and then put some on my clean hand and run into skin on face. Then I put on my face lotion. I have been doing this about 3 to 4 times a week for 2 weeks now (morning and sometimes night). My face is brighter and some dark spots I had have lightened! I don't need to wear foundation to even the area out around my nose and chin. :)

Highly recommend this great home remedy!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/17/2010 2:44:00 AM More reviews by zexactly

I've been using the bottled lemon juice soaked into a cotton ball and apply it all over my face like a toner. I let it dry, apply aloe vera gel (which glides very smoothly over my face :)) and then go to sleep. I've been doing this for a week now and my skin is noticably smoother, brighter, and less flaky. Usually my skin is never clear, I almost always have at least 1 or 2 of those nasty pus pimples, but I haven't got one of those ever since I started using lemon juice. I will update this review later with results :)

rated 3 of 5 on 8/10/2010 4:38:00 AM More reviews by StupidCupid4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I started using lemon juice on my skin 4 weeks ago, hoping that it would clear up some stubborn acne I've always had on my chin while lightening the scars in the area. My skin is really oily and acne-prone, though i really only get pimples on my chin and the occasional one on my cheeks or nose.

I prepare the juice by squeezing an entire lemon (quite time-consuming) and letting the juice go into a cup. I then pour the juice into an already prepared "strainer", which is a coffee filter placed inside a small colander and a bowl underneath to catch the juice. After letting it sit for a few hours, the juice is free of pulp (Important, as a clogged spray bottle is NOT easy to fix) and easily pours into a small spray bottle I'm using (It's actually an old LUSH Tea Tree Water bottle, which is great since it's made of black plastic and doesn't let any light in to spoil the juice.) I keep it in the fridge so the juice stays fresh and the cold spritz feels nice and refreshing :)

This juice lasts me a good week, I use it 2-3 times a day -- and sometimes in my hair since it's summer -- and don't bother rinsing it off. Sometimes the juice stings or itches a little, but the uncomfortable sensation goes away within a minute. Oh! Forgot to add that I upped my face sunblock SPF from 30 to 45 since starting with the lemon juice.

Now for the results:

Just need to point out that I decided to stop my Proactiv treatment cold turkey because after 5 years of use it wasn't nearly as effective anymore. So the lemon juice treatment was started literally the next day after stopping with Benzoyl Peroxide, which my skin does pretty well with. I wash my face with the green L'Oreal cleanser and scrublet in its place.

Anyhoo, my chin pimples started to flare up and I got a couple of little whiteheads on my face about the 2nd week into the treatment. This didn't really faze me, since I had a 2 month long purging period when I first started Proactiv, and waiting this time out yielded BEAUTIFUL results. So I vowed that I would always allow at least 2 months before swearing off a treatment for good. A month in, the lemon juice is definitely helping my skin -- not really with the oiliness, but it feels softer and dries pimples up immediately. No horrible zits or cysts have popped up since starting, either. As far as the red marks / scarring on my chin, I haven't noticed any sort of difference yet. I have yet to see the "miracle results" that many other MUA users have claimed to see, but I'm going to give it another month before I decide whether or not to continue. Also, about a week ago I introduced honey and aspirin masks into the picture, which I think may be helping in conjunction with the lemon.

Overall, lemon juice is cheap (3 lemons for a dollar!), easy, and natural. While cutting, juicing, and straining it can be time consuming, I like my little system I've got going on. Giving the juice 3 stars for now, since it seems to be helping but not miraculously. Will update in another month to see if things get better or worse!

P.S. -- Since I have lemons around my house all the time now, I've been adding a slice or two to my water glass a couple of times a day. I hear that lemon is supposed to be cleansing or something to that extent? Eh, I'll drink it for the taste alone!

***UPDATE:
2 months in, the rating will be staying at 3 lippies. Doesn't make my skin worse, but hasn't helped clear it fully either. I have noticed no change in scar discoloration on my chin. I think I just need to accept that my acne responds best to BP (I used Zapzyt cream over the lemon juice one day and it dried up most of my existing pimples.) I'll continue to use the treatment, as it is helping a little and is natural/affordable.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2010 9:11:00 PM More reviews by sdk

i went through a time when i came back from holiday and had lost alottt of weight due to not eating that much and what i did eat wasnt very fattening... im the type of person that if i am not eating enough food and my weight drops my skin will break out and just get dull..
i had the most horrible skin of my life not even my teenage spots were ever this bad.. i had terrible skin it was unbeleivable it was like somone else's skin.. i searched online for lots of different ideas to getting my skin back to normal lemon juice was probably the only thing that helped!.. what lemon juice did for me was take the redness away from all the scarring and quite quickly aswell and something which i wasnt expecting is that it evened out my skin tone perfectly as i have slight pigmention arounf my mouth..
havent needed to use this ever since.. but what i do use is no7 p&p serum this is 'the' serum it takes away redness pigmentation and helps keep your skin smooth for days after exfoliating..

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2010 7:52:00 PM More reviews by frostythesnowman81

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

DILUTED Lemon Juice is really amazing for oily/acne prone skin skin but I learned that the hard way! I tried rubbing half a lemon over my skin and boy oh boy was that a huge mistake! Please make sure you dilute this! I read online that ice helps to reduce pimples and I read on another website that lemon juice dries out pimples so I froze lemon water and put that on one of my pimple it worked quite well but not as well as TTO or BP/SA. (I learned the ice trick before Michelle Phan btw) I am taking of a lippie for being slow, but I will still use/recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2010 7:09:00 PM More reviews by yaxa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Lemon juice is actually one of my favorite beauty products! In conjunction with good skincare habits, applying lemon juice to my face has helped keep the pimples away. But what really blows me away about using lemon juice as a skincare product is how wonderful it is at reducing the redness of the acne scars. It works better than anything else that I've tried, including topical creams, microderm, and chemical peels. I can put the lemon juice on at night and see a dramatic difference when I wake up the next day--it's that good! When I fall off of the skincare wagon and stop using lemon juice, the redness does reappear. I suspect that this is due to UV light exposure over time. But as soon as I start reapplying lemon juice, I see the fabulous results again.

I would have thought that freshly-squeezed lemon juice would be the most effective. But after a bit of testing, I actually found that the bottled Santa Cruz Organics lemon juice worked better than other bottled juices AND better than fresh juice. (Side note: I find that it gives a better flavor in cocktails and other drinks, too... perhaps it's more highly-concentrated than fresh lemon juice?)

At first, I tried applying the juice with a cotton ball, but I found that this was overkill. My face would end up feeling sticky, stinging, and irritated. Now, I keep the lemon juice in a small spray bottle in the fridge. It's very easy to apply a few spritzes, and it keeps the application light.

I use the lemon juice on alternating nights in place of a more traditional skin serum--after cleansing, before nighttime moisturizer. It feels and smells great. Please, please give lemon juice a try as a skincare item, especially if you suffer from red acne scarring.

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by joya12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Because of mua ive been using lemon juice and it works great. My skin is sensitive n i break out easily and im always trying to find natural remedies. I use this once or twice a week and it gives my skin a nice glow n helps minimize my pores without using harsh products

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2010 12:46:00 PM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Lemons have many uses in cosmetics and bath & body products.
They can be used internally or topically.

I use Lemon Juice, Essential Oil, Zest & Rind for different things.

Lemon juice has great skin-lightening properties and the Ascorbic acid is a powerful (but easily degraded) anti-oxidant.

Plus you can cook with them.