MAC Liquidlast Liner - Point Black

4.1

Isododecane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Dimethicone, Disteardimonium hectorite, Sorbitan tristearate, Ascorbyl palmitate, Caprylyl glycol, Hexylene glycol, Propylene carbonate, Hydrogenated palm kernel glycerides, Hydrogenated palm glycerides, Phytosteryl isostearate, BHT, Phenoxyethanol [ /- Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Carmine (CI 75470), Chromium Hydroxide Green (CI 77289), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140)]

on 11/15/2007 5:58:00 PM

This liner has amazing staying power, and I will probably buy again because of that alone.

However, it has two major problems: first off, the brush is awful - more like a nail polish brush than an eyeliner brush - and because it is so extremely waterproof and hard to remove, I am hesitant to use my regular liner brush with it.

Second, the consistency is too thick and goopy for my taste, which makes it very difficult to apply in the sharp, clean line I want, and I haven't found any mixing liquid or medium that dilutes it; it seems to be entirely oil-based.

I still get a lot of use out of it, though, but more as a very waterproof mascara for the lower lashes and eyebrows, applied with a separate mascara brush, than a liquid eyeliner. I do wear it as a liner as well, but only to seal a first layer of another eyeliner when I need a completely budge- and waterproof eyeliner.

So; would buy again, but I would love it a lot more if MAC reformulated this into a working eyeliner!

on 11/2/2007 8:08:00 AM

AMAZING, AMAZING staying power! I was after a liquid eyeliner that didn't budge for a recent beach holiday and boy was i glad i had this with me! I spent the whole day at the beach splashing around in the water, as well another full day at a water theme park and this eyeliner DID NOT BUDGE/SMUDGE/FLAKE a single bit!!! No other liquid eyeliner has ever stayed on like that, and i'm very much in love with this eyeliner. You'll need a waterproof makeup remover to get rid of this stuff though, and it takes a while! The only downside to this otherwise fantastic eyeliner is the brush, which i find a bit fiddly to use and tends to clump (which is why it gets 4 lippies instead of 5). I'll definitely repurchase this though!

i'm on the fence about this liner for a few reasons. it has a handful of benefits, enough for me to finish a whole tube, but also enough drawbacks to make me hesitant to buy another one. here's what i like: 1. it stays put. once you draw that line, its staying right there until you scrub it off with a very serious makeup remover. i've been at the beach all day + night and this stuff didn't budge. 2. the skinny brush is great for ultimate control. hands down beats one of those crummy felt-tips any day. 3. like most other mac products, its affordable but its still a nice enough makeup company that you feel kinda fancy.
and here is what i don't like 1. hand in hand with its staying power is the near inability to correct mistakes. 2. it takes a while to dry. i have to use my blow dryer for about 5 seconds on the cool setting. 3. this stuff cakes up on the brush, making application a bit difficult after a number of uses.
i guess i will continue my 10 year quest for my HG liquid liner. continued >>

WORST EVER!!! This shit flakes like a maddd house!! I wear hard contacts - and it wasn't so bad at first.... however - 15 mins later - I was on the freeway and I couldn't keep my eyes open!!! It was awful!! My eyes kept tearing. By the time I got to work my eyes were soooooo red, until I took my contacts off, cleaned them, until it just flaked AGAIN. I was uubber glad to take that off at the end of the nite!

DO NOT BUY - HIGHLY UNRECOMMENDED.

on 8/24/2007 8:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I absolutely love this stuff. It STAYS PUT! Apply it as you like and expect it to stay there all day. Even with an oil-based waterproof eye makeup remover, it's hard to remove... but that's good because it means it's really holding on. It does take a particularly long time to dry but I'm thankful for that because if I do make a mistake, I still have time to quickly fix it before it dries (nearly semi-permanently) into place. If you make a mistake and let it dry before fixing it, it's a huge pain in the butt because it can only be removed with something oil-based so after you use the oil, you have to use something to get the oil away from the area to prevent it from wearing away at the eyeliner throughout the day (oil is eye makeup's worst nightmare). So, this is best for the very experienced liquid eyeliner user that isn't likely to make many mistakes! This stuff is NOT play makeup! If you're not experienced with liquid eyeliner, learn with something else first! I really like this black. The colour is nice and solid and bold. I find it's quick to draw a thick line on my upper eyelid (I was worried that the bristle-brush would make it difficult to draw a thick line) but I'm still getting a hang of doing a thin line on my bottom lid below my lashline. My bottom lashes seem to get in the way (especially near the outer corners) and get a bit gunky, but that's alright because you don't notice once I apply my mascara. I was also worried that it would be hard to handle because I've used the bristle-brush types before (I normally use the felt tips) and the wand on the last one was way too long, but the length of this wand is actually just right. I love this stuff. Why can't all companies that make waterpoof liquid eyeliner succeed like MAC has? It's fantastic. This is an eyeliner that you can apply and then completely forget about. Go ahead... rub your eyes, cry, walk in the rain, have a shower. You could probably even swim in it. I use it in conjunction with a waterproof/smudgeproof mascara (MAC Splashproof) and this allows me to completely forget that I'm wearing eye makeup at all. Finally... freedom!
Update Sept.5/2007: I applied this eyeliner around 4pm yesterday afternoon. I wore it throughout the evening and left it on when I went to bed. I then got up this morning and showered... and it still looks fresh! It still looks just as good as when I applied it yesterday afternoon. It even stayed on in the inner corners where I taper it off up into my waterline. Amazing stuff. And I have had absolutely no trouble with it flaking whatsoever, even when I rub my eyes... and I wear a LOT of it!
Update May 18/2008: I've now use my own brushes to apply this eyeliner (rather than the brush it comes with) because after a couple months, the formula thickens and gunks up the brush and rim of the bottle. Now I can just keep washing my brushes as I need to. This works well for me and I find it's easier to apply it on my lower lid with a different brush as I can control how much I'm applying. It probably also allows the formula to go a fair bit further. I find that it now only takes mere seconds for the product to dry since I'm applying it thinner, rather than several minutes like before. So, if your complaint is that it takes too long to dry, this problem can be solved by using a different brush!
Update July 10/2008: A woman approached me at work yesterday, complimented me on my eyeliner and asked what kind I used because she was looking for a quality, long-lasting eyeliner. I told her I used MAC Liquidlast and that it came off for almost nothing (aside from very potent oil-based products). She was excited and planned on purchasing some for herself. Gotta love this stuff! Honestly, this is probably the best liquid eyeliner out there, but you have to keep in mind that you must be at least somewhat experienced with liquid eyeliner (mistakes are very hard to fix with this stuff), you will probably want your own brush to apply it (even a cheapy... just something of a shape you like that you can wash as you need to) and it must be removed with something heavily oil-based (and then it's not a problem at all). If you are aware of/alright with these few things, you'll probably find it to be a miracle product.

on 8/7/2007 8:22:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

This is the absolute best liquid liner I have ever used. I have used it to line my waterline (top and bottom) and my lashline, and it STAYS where you put it. This is a true black, and dries to a matte finish. I have gone swimming, gone out in humid Florida weather, and have been caught in a downpour, and this has not budged at all, even when I used a towel and wiped the water off of my face. One thing to be said about this is that the brush is terrible, and a serious makeup user should not even consider actually using it. I use MAC's #263 brush to apply this, and have much better results than anyone could ever expect to get with the sorry excuse of a brush attached to the cap. To get the liner on the #263, I unscrew the top and pull it out a little until you can see the wand with liner all over it. I dip the brush into this, and then rescrew the top. By not pulling the brush all of the way out, I hope that this will last longer than usual. To remove it, I take a qtip and press it against the stack of Almay moisturizing pads in the container, then gently swipe it off of my waterline(s), then take the top pad off of the stack and use it to get any excess off. Will definitely buy it again, and I'm going out tomorrow to buy more colors!

on 8/4/2007 6:21:00 PM

This stuff stays put like nobody's business and is a great black colour. I actually don't find it that hard to apply with the brush that it comes with, however, the only negative thing about it is it gives a bit too much product on the brush, so you need to wipe off a bit of it into a tissue or else all of that excess product will end up on your lashes, anyway. It's wasteful, and makes you use it up faster than you would if they had a better design, but regardless, that excess product is going to be wasted, which is too bad. Perhaps they should redesign the bottle and brush, because the formula itself is perfect. Eyeliner always tends to fade away in the inner part of my eye throughout the day, so this one really prevents that from happening.

on 7/29/2007 11:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

this has ridiculouse staying power
i wear this every day
it doesnt budge its like its a part of my face
even after i shower its still on
i have to use a good rub of ponds cream before it even starts to come off.
soo excellent.
and i love that its black black
i hate grey blacks, brown blacks, green blacks.
black is the new black.

on 6/6/2007 1:06:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I would say the staying power is really good, not exactly waterproof though.
I like the color and works good for the upper lashline, although it will slightly get into your lashes which then is difficult to take off.
oh and i find it that it does get gooie after a while. The brush I wish was a bit more easy to handle...I'm still searching so if anyone has found anything better I'd appreciate it if you messaged me!

on 5/23/2007 12:15:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Probably the worst liquid eyeliner I have ever tried next to Maybelline's waterproof liquid eyeliner. This stuff is so shiny and flakes like you wouldn't believe. And it is so difficult to remove, even with an oil based eye makeup remover.

Top Rated MAC Products