Clinique Super City Block SPF 40

3.5

PPD = 8. zinc oxide 8.8%, octinoxate 7.5%, titanium dioxide 6.6%, octisalate 2% Other ingredients: water (aqua purificata) purified, trioctyldodecyl citrate, butylene glycol, dimethicone, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, steareth-2, silica, aluminum stearate, angelica acutiloba (japanese angelica) root extract, zizyphus jujuba fruit extract, rosa roxburghii fruit extract, citrus unshiu peel extract, porphyra yezoensis (algae) extract, paeonia suffruticosa (peony) root extract, gardenia florida extract, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) flower extract, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, paeonia albiflora (peony) root extract, poria cocos sclerotium extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, betula alba (birch) bark extract, hordeum vulgare (barley) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seedcake, gentiana lutea (gentian) root extract, yeast extract (faex), sodium rna, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, tocopheryl acetate, pantethine, glycerin, glucose, squalane, polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate, tricaprylin, propylene glycol dicaprate, chamomilla recutita (matricaria), hexylene glycol, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, caprylyl glycol, barium sulfate, polyethylene, xanthan gum, magnesium aluminum silicate, lecithin, ceteth-2, peg-40 stearate, sodium stearate, steareth-20, sorbitan tristearate, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, citric acid, disodium edta, bht, phenoxyethanol, mica, iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), titanium dioxide (ci77891)

on 12/8/2006 7:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love this stuff! It is oil free and noncomedogenic. I have tried Obagi, Lancome and every other sunscreen on the market that is high end, noncomedogenic and safe enough for babies, but this is the one that has the best consistency, the least pastiness, and doesn't make your skin produce MORE oil, which is a major concern for me since Im very oily. I like the slight tint because it neutralizes theh red in my cheeks; it seems to moisturize my dry areas but like I said it doesnt make me an oil slick at the same time. It has the slightest luminosity to it and doubles as a great makeup base. I tried the other one too that has less spf and it does have a more creamy matte finish but personally I prefer this as a very light, no foundation tinted sunscreen; and when I want more coverage I use this under Lancome's teint idole ultra.

I agree that putting the cap back on is annoying, so I took off a point for the packaging. In general I would love to love clinique but have a hard time, but this product is an exception and its wonderful. I got it gwp and will be purchasing it when I run out.

on 12/1/2006 12:37:00 AM

Clinique Super City Block Oil-Free Daily Face Protector SPF 40 contains a combination of protectives against UV-radiation: two chemical sunscreen ingredients which absorb UVB radiation, octinoxate 7.5% and octisalate 2%, and two physical sunscreen agents which reflect sun light providing protection for both UVB and UVA rays, zinc oxide 8.8% and titanium dioxide 6.6%. But it also has the typical chemical sunscreen scent I have an aversion to, although I must admit it is lighter than most and short-lived.

The consistency is slightly runny (it feels more like a lotion than a cream) and so I feel I have to be more careful when applying it near my eyes, but the chemicals havenít sensitized my skin, even in the eye area, and I have been using it almost daily for a month now. The subtle, neutral tint is darker than the one in Super City Block SPF 25 but it disappears easily into my medium complexion with neutral undertones and doesnít change the color of the products I put on top. It looks a little shiny on my combination skin so I choose not to wear it alone but it is invisible under makeup and okay as a daily makeup primer.

Although it is an excellent lightweight, oil-free, facial sunscreen offering high-level, broad-spectrum sun protection, I prefer the aesthetic feel and look of the base in Super City Block SPF 25 (the creamy texture, the matte finish, and the scent-free-ness) especially under mineral powder foundations. This is subjective, of course, and makes no difference in the effectiveness of Super City Block SPF 40 as a sunscreen. The tubes are virtually identical except for the color bands indicating the SPF (blue for the 25, mirror-like silver for the 40 which, by the way, makes the packaging more attractive, at least in the front which is the only place you can see the band, because the SPF band is the same color as the cap), the length of the tube itself (the 40 is approximately 4 mm longer) and the size of the openings (the 40ís is wider but there is a taper tip inside the screw cap which fits snugly in the opening). The prices are also the same, $21.50 (Canadian) for 40 ml. I wish both tubes had a tamper evidence feature and a large flip-top cap instead of a smooth, tiny, easy-to-drop-in-the-toilet, twist-off cap. The box and paper insert could be dumped in favor of a shrink-band and a label that opens with more info inside the fold.

All things considered, I am glad I gave Super City Block SPF 40 a try. At least now I wonít be wondering what I may be missing. Will I buy it again? Maybe for long motorcycle trips in the summer. Meanwhile, I'll use this one up and wait for the next Clinique GWP event to repurchase my beloved SPF 25.
continued >>

on 11/22/2006 12:57:00 AM

It is definitely sheer and disappears into my skin but can't stand the smell! It does protect my skin from the sun so will use until it runs out then look at clarins as I use their skin care range now and they have good sunscreens.

on 9/25/2006 4:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

The tint didn't match my skin tone; it kind of made my skin look lighter and ashy. It kind of made my face itchy, too. :/ That's not cool.

on 9/24/2006 5:45:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium

(Late 40s, combination skin)Iíve almost finished my first tube after using the sunscreen consistently for a number of months. I like both this and the SPF 25 but if forced to choose one it would have to be the SPF 40 for its greater protection. It has a hint of tint and a runny consistency but disappears into my skin and, unless my skin feels parched for some reason, doubles as my moisturiser. This hasnít broken me out nor has it irritated my skin. I use it around my eyes with no problems, on top of an eye cream. It doesnít interfere with the colour or performance of my foundation.Please note that Australian and New Zealand standards mean that this is labelled only SPF 30+ in my part of the world. 30 is the highest figure allowed - for reasons I wonít go into, as Iím not about to stir up controversy in a review!The active ingredients are zinc oxide 8.8%, octyl methoxycinnamate 7.5%, titanium dioxide 6.6% and octyl salicylate 2%. continued >>

on 9/22/2006 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

It doesn't cause me to breakout or aggrivate my rosacea. The tint is pretty dark for my skin,(I'm really pale) and blends well enough so you don't really notice it. I also noticed the tint tones down some of the redness on my cheeks.

I like this product - it goes on smoothly, blends well, doesn't irritate my skin, and provides ample protection. I use this on days when I don't need to wear foundation - this and a little concealer is sometimes enough. However, it does leave my skin somewhat shiny.

on 8/7/2006 12:49:00 PM

I wish there was a "maybe" selection for whether I would buy this product again. I'm still on the search for a HG s/s and this is best one I've tried so far, but definitely not HG. So I might buy it again while I'm still looking. I like the tint, which evens out my skin tone (I'm pretty fair, so YMMV), the high spf, and the price, which is pretty reasonable. I don't like the almost nonexistent PPD and that it burns slightly upon application (fades quickly) or when it gets in my eyes if I sweat. So not bad in the interim, but the search continues.

on 8/4/2006 11:37:00 PM

I have been using various incarnations of CityBlock for at least 15 years and have never had a problem. Therefore, I was very excited to try the highest SPF version yet (I'm super pale and need all the protection I can get). Sadly, I've had to stop using the product, as it makes my face sting/burn. I've never had this problem before. Guess I'll go back to the SPF 25.

on 8/1/2006 1:26:00 PM

I like this product. Last summer I bought SCB 25, and I liked it at first, but I got tired of applying it over my moisturizer and than applying foundation over that.... I have to do the same thing with this one, but I think it's worth if because of the added SPF. I have really annoying melasma over my upper lip, spots on my forehead and cheeks (from birthcontrol that as meant to clear my skin!) Anyway, sunscreen is really important to me, and I like this one because it helps absorb some of the oil that my skin produces. I have found that I am more excited about this product when I do my skin care regimen first thing in the am- wash, tone, treat, moisturize, sunblock- and then take a break before I put on my makeup. Otherwise it just seems like I am spending way too much time on my face (it's the same amount of time, it's just broken up better)- And I think it also helps to wait until my skin absorbs all of the products before applying my makeup. This works well with Clinique superfit makeup. I really like that stuff. I am tempted to try the new whitening super city block next time though I don't have much hope for melasma.... I guess I'll just have to go off the pill... but I think I would rather risk being spotty than getting pregnant at this point. Oh well. If anyone knows what works well for melasma please let me know. Thanks!