July 31, 2014 | 1103 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Super City Block SPF 40

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2006 9:18:00 PM More reviews by stanzi

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Many thanks to the lovely Mercurygirl for recommending this product! I have oily-sensitive skin that needs lots of sun protection, and City Block fits the bill for me this summer. It's a creamy formula that spreads easily and accepts makeup (either foundation, or just concealer and powder) with no peeling or patchiness. It truly does feel oil-free, because it doesn't make my cheeks erupt in oil halfway through the day like some other sunblocks do, and the SPF 40 really eases my worries about unwanted sun exposure. Unlike other reviewers, I actually like the tint of City Block, because I have very pale skin with slight underlying reddishness (Irish heritage!). City Block almost acts as a primer with my skin tone, so it's a "multi-tasking" product for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/28/2006 8:49:00 PM More reviews by diva959

This leaves a noticeably pinkish/pale cast on my skin (NC20) that did not disappear. I returned this and would not buy again for that reason. Other than the odd tint it left I really liked the way this felt on my skin and the spf is really good, PPD is good too. Unfortunately this is not for yellow toned skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/23/2006 5:18:00 PM More reviews by annacruz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have sensitive skin, but decided to try this product anyways because it worked well with my mom. Unfortunately it did not work for me...I have a dark golden tan so the tint made my face a bit ghostly and I began to break out underneat my eyes and on my cheeks. I've talked to some of my other friends and they've found that clinique products tend to be too harsh on their skin. I've also found that their eyeliner and gloss made me breakout and get hives. Does anyone know a make-up line made specifically for sensitive skin?

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2006 11:05:00 PM More reviews by gainsbourg

An extraordinary product. I've only used this product for about a week now, but I must admit that it's quickly becoming a favorite of mine. I like the fact that it has a sheer, neutral tint that blends very nicely into the skin without leaving any artificial pigment behind. On good-skin days, I can wear this with a light dusting of powder and I'm set. Otherwise, the city block functions seamlessly under liquid foundation.

Most importantly, the spf 40 has given me excellent protection with minimum greasiness.
Occasional blotting is neccessary on extremely humid days, but I'm pleasantly surprised at how nicely this stuff holds up without making me look as if an oil rig had exploded on my face.

I'm also very pleased that this spf has a number of reliable antioxidants to prevent sun damage, not to mention damage from pollution and the elements.

As for skin irritation or reactions, I've had no problems whatsoever, but each skin type will react to this sunscreen differently (and my skin generally reacts very quickly when irritated). In a word, fabulous. I was disappointed with the oily texture and shoddy packaging of high-end products such as the Anthelios line by Laroche-Posay. Luckily, this well-packaged number by Clinique does the job, provides a little color and doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/18/2006 12:19:00 PM More reviews by skincarefreak

I wanted to like this ss, it wasn't pricey, it has some physical blocks, and it has a tint to it so that my face doesn't have a white cast. But, it didn't do the most important thing...protect my skin. I've used it for one week and I've gotten a sun burn twice. One was very bad. Btw, I'm notorious on putting a layer on my skin waiting for it to dry then putting on another layer. It didn't provide couverage for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2006 9:41:00 AM More reviews by lkwlkc

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This definitely best of the sunscreen i ever met ! I live at hot and high humidity country, my skin is sensitive, oily and easily breakout .I hardly find any sunscreen that is suit for my skin until i met with this.It is easily to apply and wont make my skin feel greasy,and also wont make my skin breakout !!.As the texture is so nice,this product act as foudation,and the most impressive is it can last for long hour.I like this product very much!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/11/2006 4:22:00 PM More reviews by gemini36

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am an NC35 or 40 and this stuff just dissapeared on my skin. Felt great, not greasy. Hopefully it will not break me out. but so far I am loving this stuff!

EDIT: ok I stopped using this, was out running errands for about an hour and got sunburned! Took of lippies for that.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2006 8:16:00 AM More reviews by mm2015

This indeed looks great under makeup, has a wonderful texture (less thick than the SPF 25) and lots of great ingredients. However, it also broke me out. I'm pretty sure the chemical filter in it was the cause since I can't tolerate any chemical filters. I am medium fair asian and I did not think the tint was too dark. It pretty much disappeared on my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2006 12:57:00 PM More reviews by Amst

I have been using City Block in various SPFs, as Clinique has increased them, for years. An absolute must if you use Retin-A to have reliable sunscreen protection. Performs beautifully under makeup. Couldn't more be more pleased with the now higher SPF.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/4/2006 3:24:00 PM More reviews by lipsticknut

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Meh. No better, and no worse, than a bunch of other facial sunscreens I've tried. I like the high SPF and the physical blockers. But it feels just as greasy/goopy, with just as much white cast to it (even on my fairly light NC-20-ish skin) as other facial sunscreens I've tried.