April 18, 2014 | 1865 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Super City Block SPF 40

rated 2 of 5 on 6/11/2006 4:22:00 PM More reviews by gemini36

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am an NC35 or 40 and this stuff just dissapeared on my skin. Felt great, not greasy. Hopefully it will not break me out. but so far I am loving this stuff!

EDIT: ok I stopped using this, was out running errands for about an hour and got sunburned! Took of lippies for that.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2006 8:16:00 AM More reviews by mm2015

This indeed looks great under makeup, has a wonderful texture (less thick than the SPF 25) and lots of great ingredients. However, it also broke me out. I'm pretty sure the chemical filter in it was the cause since I can't tolerate any chemical filters. I am medium fair asian and I did not think the tint was too dark. It pretty much disappeared on my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2006 12:57:00 PM More reviews by Amst

I have been using City Block in various SPFs, as Clinique has increased them, for years. An absolute must if you use Retin-A to have reliable sunscreen protection. Performs beautifully under makeup. Couldn't more be more pleased with the now higher SPF.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/4/2006 3:24:00 PM More reviews by lipsticknut

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Meh. No better, and no worse, than a bunch of other facial sunscreens I've tried. I like the high SPF and the physical blockers. But it feels just as greasy/goopy, with just as much white cast to it (even on my fairly light NC-20-ish skin) as other facial sunscreens I've tried.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2006 6:48:00 PM More reviews by KelliCapwell

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It's a winner! What's not to like. Price is right, easy to find, makes a perfect under make-up primer, made it through an aerobics class, doesn't irritate the eyes, doesn't make me white, didn't break me out or sting & made my skin feel like satin - wasn't greasy or cakey. I was concerned about the tint being too dark from people's descriptions. It's actually light beige yellow tinted! I am C4 in MAC during the summer and this is much lighter then that however it disappeared into my skin. Didn't leave me feeling white. Tried it on the back of my tanned hand and no white mark - it just disappeared. There is no reason every person shouldn't use this product!! Clinique is making me rethink their products with another winner. Will definately repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2006 1:50:00 PM More reviews by karinatwork

I am on Tazorac, and apparently I get burned even when using an spf 15 sunscreen, plus I tend to get very red when using a chemical sunscreen, so I have been looking actively for something that would not make me red or break me out.
In comes Clinique. At first, I was worried about the colour, but it fades to almost nothing once applied. It feels a tad heavy (heavier than my other sunscreen), but after applying my foundation (Clinique Soft Finish), my skin looks absolutely flawless. Redness is decreased throughout the day, and I feel like the foundation lasts longer, too. No more oiliness than normal, no more flakes than normal, and after three days, no increase in blackheads and/or breakouts. I will have to test it some more and updated on the breakout situation since this is what worries me most. It kinda smells like diaper cream, but who am I to complain about that (plus the smell fades quickly).

If the current situation doesn't change then I will upgrade to 5 lippies because:
1. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg
2. Is readily available at the Clinique counter
3. Has a PPD of 8 (and is stable)
4. Works well as primer
5. Doesn't increase redness
6. Doesn't increase oiliness

Please, please, please - don't let me break out from this!
Thank you.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2006 9:27:00 PM More reviews by ahryb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I haven't been impressed at all with Clinique's previous City Block SPF products and have generally stuck with Murad Oil Free Sunblock SPF 15 Sheer Tint and, more recently, Juice Beauty SPF 30 Tinted Moisturizer. BUT the SPF 40 product from Clinique is like a God-Send!! (Although honestly, the other two I mentioned are also great products). I am always on the prowl for as high of an SPF as possible for my face that doesn't smell terrible, break me out, make my skin like an oilslick or leave a terrible white/gray cast. Even more importantly, I prefer one that has a physical block such as Titanium Dioxide or Zinc Oxide and has a slight "skin" tint so it can almost double as a super-sheer foundation or primer. The Super City Block SPF 40 really delivers in all aspects and the texture is wonderful (MUCH nicer than I anticipated)--not too thick or thin, not too heavy or sticky, not greasy or drying. The scent is a tad medicinal but I'm not the most sensitive to scent. And I have slightly oily skin that tends to break out but this sunscreen hasn't added to my breakouts. Clinique really did their market research on this one. I feel like they sent me a questionnaire about what I want in a facial sunscreen and then worked out a formula to address all my desires--or maybe a lot of other people out there just feel the same way as me and cosmetic companies are starting to deliver! Either way, win-win. After all, one of the best "cosmetic" things you can do for your face is sun-protection!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2006 10:09:00 AM More reviews by lthai

OMG? have i found a HG sunscreen? i used to use skinceuticals but with the warmer weather it's just too heavy and greasy, since i have the oiliest skin ever! i love that this stuff acts more like a light foundation! it sinks in immediately and dries down quick, no stickiness or greasiness. even though it is tinted, it blends into my C3 skin perfect. i've been using it for almost a month and no breakouts, bumps, or redness, nothing but great skin! now i use this, a little blush, some loose powder, and i'm done! i can skip foundation entirely! hopefully this will stay around for a while and not be discontinued!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/23/2006 1:49:00 PM More reviews by ellygirl

This is a great sunscreen. Stable, estimated PPD of 8 (or so someone said on the skincare board, sorry can't remember who). It is tinted, but that is to off-set the whiteness of the two main active ingrediants-- titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. It evens out my skin tone-- a very nice sheer foundation effect--without looking madeup. As one might expect of a sheer foundation it doesn't cover my recent acne scars. It has a bit of a smell to it and one I don't enjoy when I first put it on, but the smell quickly fades. It's moisturizing and I sometimes dust powder over it because it can look a little slick when I first put it on. It seems to stay put. There are comedogenic ingrediants listed, but my face hasn't reacted (but I'm on Tazorac, so my tolerance may be higher than it used to be) and it claims to be oil-free. I've been using it every-other day or so and I like it. I'll update if anything changes. UPDATE: I can't wear this anymore. Though it has a sheen to it, it dries my face out and I feel like it blocks my pores. I've been correcting the pink tint with mineral makeup, but I'm sick of trying to make it work-- I'd rather just find something with a white cast than this as I have yellow undertones. I'm looking for my next good sunscreen.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2006 12:10:00 PM More reviews by anrabon

I found this a little heavy for daily usage under make-up.... but, I do slick it on my face, neck, and chest before heading out to the beach & it's worked wonderfully! My acne-prone combination skin hasn't broken out from the product, and the sun protection is awesome! Cons: It has burned my eyes quite a bit, and can be difficult to remove.