Clinique Super City Block SPF 40

3.5

PPD = 8. zinc oxide 8.8%, octinoxate 7.5%, titanium dioxide 6.6%, octisalate 2% Other ingredients: water (aqua purificata) purified, trioctyldodecyl citrate, butylene glycol, dimethicone, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, steareth-2, silica, aluminum stearate, angelica acutiloba (japanese angelica) root extract, zizyphus jujuba fruit extract, rosa roxburghii fruit extract, citrus unshiu peel extract, porphyra yezoensis (algae) extract, paeonia suffruticosa (peony) root extract, gardenia florida extract, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) flower extract, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, paeonia albiflora (peony) root extract, poria cocos sclerotium extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, betula alba (birch) bark extract, hordeum vulgare (barley) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seedcake, gentiana lutea (gentian) root extract, yeast extract (faex), sodium rna, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, tocopheryl acetate, pantethine, glycerin, glucose, squalane, polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate, tricaprylin, propylene glycol dicaprate, chamomilla recutita (matricaria), hexylene glycol, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, caprylyl glycol, barium sulfate, polyethylene, xanthan gum, magnesium aluminum silicate, lecithin, ceteth-2, peg-40 stearate, sodium stearate, steareth-20, sorbitan tristearate, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, citric acid, disodium edta, bht, phenoxyethanol, mica, iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), titanium dioxide (ci77891)

on 9/24/2006 5:45:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium

(Late 40s, combination skin)Iíve almost finished my first tube after using the sunscreen consistently for a number of months. I like both this and the SPF 25 but if forced to choose one it would have to be the SPF 40 for its greater protection. It has a hint of tint and a runny consistency but disappears into my skin and, unless my skin feels parched for some reason, doubles as my moisturiser. This hasnít broken me out nor has it irritated my skin. I use it around my eyes with no problems, on top of an eye cream. It doesnít interfere with the colour or performance of my foundation.Please note that Australian and New Zealand standards mean that this is labelled only SPF 30+ in my part of the world. 30 is the highest figure allowed - for reasons I wonít go into, as Iím not about to stir up controversy in a review!The active ingredients are zinc oxide 8.8%, octyl methoxycinnamate 7.5%, titanium dioxide 6.6% and octyl salicylate 2%. continued >>

on 9/22/2006 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

It doesn't cause me to breakout or aggrivate my rosacea. The tint is pretty dark for my skin,(I'm really pale) and blends well enough so you don't really notice it. I also noticed the tint tones down some of the redness on my cheeks.

I like this product - it goes on smoothly, blends well, doesn't irritate my skin, and provides ample protection. I use this on days when I don't need to wear foundation - this and a little concealer is sometimes enough. However, it does leave my skin somewhat shiny.

on 8/7/2006 12:49:00 PM

I wish there was a "maybe" selection for whether I would buy this product again. I'm still on the search for a HG s/s and this is best one I've tried so far, but definitely not HG. So I might buy it again while I'm still looking. I like the tint, which evens out my skin tone (I'm pretty fair, so YMMV), the high spf, and the price, which is pretty reasonable. I don't like the almost nonexistent PPD and that it burns slightly upon application (fades quickly) or when it gets in my eyes if I sweat. So not bad in the interim, but the search continues.

on 8/4/2006 11:37:00 PM

I have been using various incarnations of CityBlock for at least 15 years and have never had a problem. Therefore, I was very excited to try the highest SPF version yet (I'm super pale and need all the protection I can get). Sadly, I've had to stop using the product, as it makes my face sting/burn. I've never had this problem before. Guess I'll go back to the SPF 25.

on 8/1/2006 1:26:00 PM

I like this product. Last summer I bought SCB 25, and I liked it at first, but I got tired of applying it over my moisturizer and than applying foundation over that.... I have to do the same thing with this one, but I think it's worth if because of the added SPF. I have really annoying melasma over my upper lip, spots on my forehead and cheeks (from birthcontrol that as meant to clear my skin!) Anyway, sunscreen is really important to me, and I like this one because it helps absorb some of the oil that my skin produces. I have found that I am more excited about this product when I do my skin care regimen first thing in the am- wash, tone, treat, moisturize, sunblock- and then take a break before I put on my makeup. Otherwise it just seems like I am spending way too much time on my face (it's the same amount of time, it's just broken up better)- And I think it also helps to wait until my skin absorbs all of the products before applying my makeup. This works well with Clinique superfit makeup. I really like that stuff. I am tempted to try the new whitening super city block next time though I don't have much hope for melasma.... I guess I'll just have to go off the pill... but I think I would rather risk being spotty than getting pregnant at this point. Oh well. If anyone knows what works well for melasma please let me know. Thanks!

on 7/24/2006 12:49:00 AM

The color, texture, and SPF are great in this product, but it balls up on my skin and it happens everytime I apply......

on 7/2/2006 9:18:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Many thanks to the lovely Mercurygirl for recommending this product! I have oily-sensitive skin that needs lots of sun protection, and City Block fits the bill for me this summer. It's a creamy formula that spreads easily and accepts makeup (either foundation, or just concealer and powder) with no peeling or patchiness. It truly does feel oil-free, because it doesn't make my cheeks erupt in oil halfway through the day like some other sunblocks do, and the SPF 40 really eases my worries about unwanted sun exposure. Unlike other reviewers, I actually like the tint of City Block, because I have very pale skin with slight underlying reddishness (Irish heritage!). City Block almost acts as a primer with my skin tone, so it's a "multi-tasking" product for me.

on 6/28/2006 8:49:00 PM

This leaves a noticeably pinkish/pale cast on my skin (NC20) that did not disappear. I returned this and would not buy again for that reason. Other than the odd tint it left I really liked the way this felt on my skin and the spf is really good, PPD is good too. Unfortunately this is not for yellow toned skin.

on 6/23/2006 5:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have sensitive skin, but decided to try this product anyways because it worked well with my mom. Unfortunately it did not work for me...I have a dark golden tan so the tint made my face a bit ghostly and I began to break out underneat my eyes and on my cheeks. I've talked to some of my other friends and they've found that clinique products tend to be too harsh on their skin. I've also found that their eyeliner and gloss made me breakout and get hives. Does anyone know a make-up line made specifically for sensitive skin?