Clinique Super City Block SPF 40

3.5

PPD = 8. zinc oxide 8.8%, octinoxate 7.5%, titanium dioxide 6.6%, octisalate 2% Other ingredients: water (aqua purificata) purified, trioctyldodecyl citrate, butylene glycol, dimethicone, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, steareth-2, silica, aluminum stearate, angelica acutiloba (japanese angelica) root extract, zizyphus jujuba fruit extract, rosa roxburghii fruit extract, citrus unshiu peel extract, porphyra yezoensis (algae) extract, paeonia suffruticosa (peony) root extract, gardenia florida extract, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) flower extract, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, paeonia albiflora (peony) root extract, poria cocos sclerotium extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, betula alba (birch) bark extract, hordeum vulgare (barley) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seedcake, gentiana lutea (gentian) root extract, yeast extract (faex), sodium rna, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, tocopheryl acetate, pantethine, glycerin, glucose, squalane, polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate, tricaprylin, propylene glycol dicaprate, chamomilla recutita (matricaria), hexylene glycol, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, caprylyl glycol, barium sulfate, polyethylene, xanthan gum, magnesium aluminum silicate, lecithin, ceteth-2, peg-40 stearate, sodium stearate, steareth-20, sorbitan tristearate, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, citric acid, disodium edta, bht, phenoxyethanol, mica, iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), titanium dioxide (ci77891)

This felt really heavy on my sensitive normal-combo skin. Plus, it made me break out. I would maybe try this again during the winter months when my skin is a little drier, but it's definitely a no go during summer. Disappointing since I love Clinique, and the price was pretty decent.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

I'm not sure what happened here. I ran out of my usual sunscreen and had this that my mother had given me. I put it on, put my makeup on, and left. By about 2:00 in the afternoon I was red. I had not been outdoors much. I was sitting indoors somewhat near a window. But with SPF 40 even my pasty skin shouldn't burn in a couple of hours.
At first I thought it was just irritation. But then after I washed my face I noticed how dark I was. Yuck. I'm sure someone is going to say "Maybe you used it wrong" but if I used it wrong, then I use all my sunscreen wrong and this is the first sun burn I have gotten (even when I spend summers on the beach) in years.

Pros:

-tint doubles as a sheer foundation, evens out skintone
-broad spectrum protection
-no avobenzone to worry about stability issues
-did not break me out
-pleasant fragrance
-lots of antioxidants.

Cons:

-thick and shiny when full 1/4 teaspoon is applied, just sits on top of my skin but after a few hours sinks in
-white cast - removes all hint of yellow tones from my skin, gives somewhat of a sickly appearance
-low ppd
-pricey

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love this stuff! It is oil free and noncomedogenic. I have tried Obagi, Lancome and every other sunscreen on the market that is high end, noncomedogenic and safe enough for babies, but this is the one that has the best consistency, the least pastiness, and doesn't make your skin produce MORE oil, which is a major concern for me since Im very oily. I like the slight tint because it neutralizes theh red in my cheeks; it seems to moisturize my dry areas but like I said it doesnt make me an oil slick at the same time. It has the slightest luminosity to it and doubles as a great makeup base. I tried the other one too that has less spf and it does have a more creamy matte finish but personally I prefer this as a very light, no foundation tinted sunscreen; and when I want more coverage I use this under Lancome's teint idole ultra.

I agree that putting the cap back on is annoying, so I took off a point for the packaging. In general I would love to love clinique but have a hard time, but this product is an exception and its wonderful. I got it gwp and will be purchasing it when I run out.

Clinique Super City Block Oil-Free Daily Face Protector SPF 40 contains a combination of protectives against UV-radiation: two chemical sunscreen ingredients which absorb UVB radiation, octinoxate 7.5% and octisalate 2%, and two physical sunscreen agents which reflect sun light providing protection for both UVB and UVA rays, zinc oxide 8.8% and titanium dioxide 6.6%. But it also has the typical chemical sunscreen scent I have an aversion to, although I must admit it is lighter than most and short-lived.

The consistency is slightly runny (it feels more like a lotion than a cream) and so I feel I have to be more careful when applying it near my eyes, but the chemicals havenít sensitized my skin, even in the eye area, and I have been using it almost daily for a month now. The subtle, neutral tint is darker than the one in Super City Block SPF 25 but it disappears easily into my medium complexion with neutral undertones and doesnít change the color of the products I put on top. It looks a little shiny on my combination skin so I choose not to wear it alone but it is invisible under makeup and okay as a daily makeup primer.

Although it is an excellent lightweight, oil-free, facial sunscreen offering high-level, broad-spectrum sun protection, I prefer the aesthetic feel and look of the base in Super City Block SPF 25 (the creamy texture, the matte finish, and the scent-free-ness) especially under mineral powder foundations. This is subjective, of course, and makes no difference in the effectiveness of Super City Block SPF 40 as a sunscreen. The tubes are virtually identical except for the color bands indicating the SPF (blue for the 25, mirror-like silver for the 40 which, by the way, makes the packaging more attractive, at least in the front which is the only place you can see the band, because the SPF band is the same color as the cap), the length of the tube itself (the 40 is approximately 4 mm longer) and the size of the openings (the 40ís is wider but there is a taper tip inside the screw cap which fits snugly in the opening). The prices are also the same, $21.50 (Canadian) for 40 ml. I wish both tubes had a tamper evidence feature and a large flip-top cap instead of a smooth, tiny, easy-to-drop-in-the-toilet, twist-off cap. The box and paper insert could be dumped in favor of a shrink-band and a label that opens with more info inside the fold.

All things considered, I am glad I gave Super City Block SPF 40 a try. At least now I wonít be wondering what I may be missing. Will I buy it again? Maybe for long motorcycle trips in the summer. Meanwhile, I'll use this one up and wait for the next Clinique GWP event to repurchase my beloved SPF 25.
continued >>

It is definitely sheer and disappears into my skin but can't stand the smell! It does protect my skin from the sun so will use until it runs out then look at clarins as I use their skin care range now and they have good sunscreens.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

The tint didn't match my skin tone; it kind of made my skin look lighter and ashy. It kind of made my face itchy, too. :/ That's not cool.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium

(Late 40s, combination skin)Iíve almost finished my first tube after using the sunscreen consistently for a number of months. I like both this and the SPF 25 but if forced to choose one it would have to be the SPF 40 for its greater protection. It has a hint of tint and a runny consistency but disappears into my skin and, unless my skin feels parched for some reason, doubles as my moisturiser. This hasnít broken me out nor has it irritated my skin. I use it around my eyes with no problems, on top of an eye cream. It doesnít interfere with the colour or performance of my foundation.Please note that Australian and New Zealand standards mean that this is labelled only SPF 30+ in my part of the world. 30 is the highest figure allowed - for reasons I wonít go into, as Iím not about to stir up controversy in a review!The active ingredients are zinc oxide 8.8%, octyl methoxycinnamate 7.5%, titanium dioxide 6.6% and octyl salicylate 2%. continued >>

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

It doesn't cause me to breakout or aggrivate my rosacea. The tint is pretty dark for my skin,(I'm really pale) and blends well enough so you don't really notice it. I also noticed the tint tones down some of the redness on my cheeks.

I like this product - it goes on smoothly, blends well, doesn't irritate my skin, and provides ample protection. I use this on days when I don't need to wear foundation - this and a little concealer is sometimes enough. However, it does leave my skin somewhat shiny.