July 28, 2014 | 1347 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2008 10:52:00 PM More reviews by urstandingonmytoes

After reading the reviews, I started OCM tonight using a 75% castor 25% safflower oil combo (which I might change to 50-50). I am both nervous and excited...I'm fearing the horrible breakouts that some people have had, and hoping for the glorious results other have had. I massaged this into my face and could see gunk coming out of the pores on my nose--ICK!! Then I soaked my microfiber washcloth in HOT water and gently began removing my makeup, resoaking it everytime it got cool. After removing as much of the oil as I could, I washed my face using PURPOSE cleanser...dabbed some safflower oil around my eyes and used a 2% salisyclic acid toner. I will update if my skin clears up or if it gets worse. (I'm giving this 4 lippies for now, I'll change it according to my skin)
EDIT: Day 3....I had been fighting with 2 cystic breakouts before trying this, and for some reason they are now healing quite rapidly. I haven't had any new pimples form--YET. I've done OCM for the last 3 nights, but I will skip tomorrow and just cleanse with my normal routine. From what I've read, OCM isn't for every night, but 2-3x a week.
EDIT: Day 6....I'm starting to have some break outs along my jawline, I'm not sure if this is the purging period--or just my skin reacting negatively. I have noticed my face is dry and flaky which I wasn't really expecting. So, based on how my skin is reacting...I don't think this is working for me and I'm going to stop while I'm ahead.
FINAL EDIT: Pond's Cold Cream works just as well and is a lot less effort..if you're looking for an "easy" way to try OCM. However, for my acne prone skin....OCM caused more problems than it fixed....right now I am battling one of the worst break outs of my life, my face looks horrid with acne on my cheeks ( I never get acne there!!)...cysts...clogged pores...sigh its just a mess. I'm going back to my basic routine and keeping my fingers crossed that I can undo what I've done. If you choose to try OCM...just keep in mind that it doesn't work for everyone, so proceed slowly and Good Luck.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2008 6:25:00 AM More reviews by MellyHelly

I'm now on my 4th week with OCM and can't really decide if it is totally for me or not. Anyway I go on because I like it! It's easy relaxing and natural. That last is one of the reason why I started using OCM.
I gave up all commecial/chemical products after years of changing routine every 2 months, because my skin became "tired" according to SA. What exactloy does it mean? Oh, I know... It means that I bought cleanser+toner+cream from a brand, worked a little (always with tight and slightly inflamed skin), then got some rush, then irritation, then breakouts, then went back to teh store to ask for something "else" and began the loop again.
This stopped when I switched to natural high quality skincare. For me that means: Dr.Hauschka and Weleda for sensitive skin.
I was religiously set on my expensive/effective/mild Dr.Hauschka Cleansing Milk and toner routine when I heard about OCM, watched reviews and decided to try.
My skin is fair olive, combination but very sensitive, a little bit dehydrated, thin, sun sensitive, starting to aging and blackhead-prone with occasional pimple.
Dr.Hauschka routine helped me to fight all these.
Only blackheads on chin and around nose were stubborn. They are small and not so visible under makeup.
The first week I used only EVOO 100% because I didn't have Castor Oil and it worked nicely. Then I bought CO and tried blends.
I'm now using 10% castor oil and 90% EEVO and I'm not going to change for a while.
I once used almond oil instead of EEVO and wasn't s
good as a choice, but it doesn't sting eyes.
I still skip night cream and put Dr.Hauschka toner instead and in the morning I wash my face with a tiny small amount of vegetable soap or shower cream from Weleda.

These are my steps to wear the day off at night:

1. I put some mineral water on fire to make herbal tea.
2. I massage my oil blend on my face while waiting, trying to melt all makeup. This is the step where I look like a panda.
3. I pour boiling water in my mug and the rest in a bowl where I put a clean little pre-wet (with cold water) and squeezed face towel.
4. I take the towel out of hot water, handling carefully not to burn my fingers and squeeze it very tightly and put it immediately on my face and press gently.
5. It's hot but not annoying. Actually it's also relaxing. The oil and makeup goes directly into the towel.
6. I repeat the steam if necessary, but most of the times I just wipe oil away from face using the "clean" side of the towel.

That's all. It takes only few minutes while making tea.
If I use teabags I use them like a toner.

My opinion is

PRO:
- good removal for makeup
- all natural and cheap
- clean pores deeply and help reduce blackheads and residue, giving a more radiant complexion
- relaxing

DOWN:
- Castor oil stinks, it's sticky and cleanse too much for my taste.
- I don't know effects on a long-term
- I'm not sure it's good for your eyes... It removes makeup very easily, but it stings a little and in the morning my eyes are sometimes puffy and swollen (that happened even before OCM, but I don't want to make it worse)
- it's somehow dehydrating as a method and I need more cream in the morning then I needed before.
- the first week my skin was clearer but I got two big painful pimples right at the beginning of my eye-brows, hidden by hair and pencil. They went away very easily in 2 days. Weird...
One has become a very small encrusted item on my face. It's really invisible, but I can touch it.

On the fourth week my skin is pretty clear, not extremely happy, maybe due to weather change. Blackheads are not gone away completely and there are two tiny dry "heads" on my left cheekbone that don't want to go away. I think that this could be caused by Castor Oil ruder effect.

EDIT week 7: now on my 7th week I came back to add a lippie, because this method is really helping to keep my skin clear and clean.
I do it every night. It's a little bit stripping since I raised Castor Oil to 50%, but it really deeply cleanse, especially with a good steaming.
The reverse side is that it gives me an idea that it's a no-turn back method... I only skipped 2 nights in row because I was away from home and took my good old Dr.Hauschka Cleansing milk with me, which worked just so fine as usual, BUT in 2 days I got a big whitehead on the side of my face and a few little pimples over my eyebrow. It all went away after 2 days more back on OCM and perhaps these flaws were due to climate changing, food changing, little sleep etc etc. I also got a strong cold that it's making my nose flaking on the sides. I will stick to OCM for a while until I recover from cold and then we will see want to do.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/12/2008 10:50:00 AM More reviews by ViolentPink

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Your mileage may vary is an understatement!
I tried this out months ago and for the first couple weeks, I raved about it. It certainly lessened the appearance of my blackheads, which no other product or process had before.
After the initial glow, mentally and physically, had worn off, I started breaking out in a dry, rashy acne on my cheeks. I wasn't particularly acne prone before OCM, and especially not on my cheeks, and not in this way. I stuck with it still, enamored with those first results I got.
But, like a drug, nothing ever stood up to the first few uses. The acne got a lot worse, and spread around until I looked like I had a condition. My fault, perhaps, for not switching away sooner. I did eventually, though, to a normal cleanser and moisturizer regimen. My newfound acne patches ceased to grow anymore, and are finally starting to heal up. I have a lot of pigmentation in those areas now, which is very frustrating, but it's better than having irritated sandpaper skin!
I have read similar experiences to my own many times. Even if you LOVE the results in the beginning, be aware of negative changes in your skin as well. If you notice negative effects, consider stopping sooner than later, instead of what I did.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/12/2008 7:08:00 AM More reviews by tallulah_starr

Having read everything on using the OCM, I decided to give it a go. It was the worst mistake I've ever made! I went from having no skin problems whatsover to being covered in acne. No doubt those that love this system will choose to believe that I either didn't use hot water and a cloth to remove (I did), or that I didn't use a fresh cloth each time (I did) etc etc. Please, just accept that the OCM method does NOT suit everyone and should definitely be approached with caution.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2008 4:30:00 AM More reviews by wearsflipflopsinwinter

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use unadulterated safflower oil (the cold-pressed, high linoleic variety) to remove SS/MU, and it works like a charm on my oily, acne-prone skin. I massage the oil into my skin, remove it with a warm, wet washcloth, then I use facial cleanser on a facial cleansing brush (the good old-fashioned manual kind) to get my skin squeaky clean (currently test-driving Boscia Clear Complexion Cleanser).

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2008 3:13:00 AM More reviews by ruecke

My routine doesn't involve MIXING my own oils, but I do use two of them.

I use Extra-Virgin Coconut oil to remove my eye makeup. (I put a little into an old cuticle cream container so I can keep it in my cabinet.) I then use a little jojoba oil around the rest of my face. After that, I rub a bit of Murad Refreshing Cleanser over my face, and use my Clarisonic skin brush. Since the Refreshing Cleanser removes makeup pretty well, I rub it over my eyes before I rinse, and it gets rid of the coconut oil/makeup residue. (If I choose to use a different cleanser with the Clarisonic, I use regular makeup remover for my eyes.)

I find that the jojoba oil lifts stuff out of my pores better, and makes the Clarisonic brush less irritating. Any time I've strayed and haven't used the oils, my skin is definitely less smooth and refined.... I'm sold!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2008 1:03:00 AM More reviews by rtauschke2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This method definitely requires some fine tuning and experimentation to get it right. The potential for disaster is high! I have normal skin and only suffer from the very occasional "that time of the month" solo pimple. I use a mix of roughly 50% Castor Oil, 50% EVOO. After 1-2 uses I was totally wowed by it - my skin felt so smooth and dewy and had a noticeable glow to it. It is outstanding at removing makeup too. However if I use it everyday I always end up with one large cystic pimple appearing somewhere on my face which takes forever to heal. Perhaps I need to experiment with the ratios and carrier oils as I have previously just used jojoba oil and a cloth to cleanse my face for weeks on end and had no troubles. However for now, to use up my existing mix I alternate between this and my normal cream cleanser and I find that works well for me. Very cost effective, totally natural and well worth a try - just be careful if you have acne prone skin is all I say.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/11/2008 12:08:00 AM More reviews by ujinyoon

I'm one of those unlucky cases that ended up with lots of cystic acne after trying the OCM. My face just doesn't like most natural oils. I've tried some combo/ lone application of extra virgin olive, virgin olive, castor, jojoba and even shea butter. I definitely wiped the oils with a warm towel. When I did this, I was actually on antibiotics and taz for a month and was clearing up nicely and trying out new things my skin might like only to get more breakouts! fun! OCM is the reason I went on accutane, which actually turned out to be a good thing.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2008 11:03:00 PM More reviews by PinkDagger

I've been using OCM since June, so I'm reviewing based on an approximate 3 month period. The good and the bad news about using the oil cleansing method is... the bad news: experimentation and ratios are totally up to you. The good news: experimentation and ratios are totally up to you. On that same note, method is completely up to you. Whether you choose to steam or not, how long you want to massage the oils into your skin, how often you want to use OCM, etc. For the record, steaming does work more effectively in removing clogs from pores.

I went through a variation of ratios and types of cleansing. I used to use 10% sunflower oil, 20% grape seed oil, 30% castor oil, and 40% extra virgin olive oil at night. Over time, I began using an OCM sugar scrub while in the shower. This allowed me to steam my face and exfoliate. From the very basic mix I used to use, I now use (without measurements; I just kind of throw it all in): jojoba, sunflower, castor, extra virgin olive, neem, black cumin seed, avocado, rose hip, and evening primrose oil along with honey and white granulated sugar. It works like a charm and feels great. Along with OCM, moisturizing with thin carrier oils is the cherry on top - I personally use jojoba in the day and every other night, switch between evening primrose and rose hip oil.

I used to have excessively oily skin as a result of drying chemicals in acne products. My skin was and still is very acne prone, but cystic breakouts and breakouts overall have decreased significantly ever since I kicked off a more natural skin care regimen with OCM. My skin's complexion has gone from bumpy, scaly, and massively oily to smooth (especially my cheeks; all of my current breakouts are purely hormonal), moisturized, and much more on the "normal" side.

One of the previous reviewers, I noticed, did not even use the oil required of the oil cleansing method! I cannot stress the importance of CASTOR OIL because it IS the cleansing agent of this method. All other oils, which are under your own discretion, are merely carrier oils/lubricants. Castor oil is so thick and drying that it's important to keep in mind the importance of a high carrier oil ratio - even for excessively oily skin. The things coming out of your skin is perfectly normal - all of the plugs literally fall out. If you feel there is too much residue left on your skin, you can easily rinse your face and/or consider lighter carrier oils.

Finally, please keep in mind that every product has a PURGING PERIOD. This could go on anytime from a week to a month or two. Patience is the key before anyone should go ahead and assume something is totally wrong for them. Admittedly it's not everyone's cup of tea, but purging is totally normal and it shouldn't be the cause of any horrid concerns until one's skin's reaction calms down.

21 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2008 9:43:00 PM More reviews by zoey

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm 35 years old with oily, acne prone skin. I've had cystic acne since age 13. I use 3:1 EVOO with Castor Oil. It removes all my makeup & then I follow up with my Desert Essences tea tree oil cleanser (in a foaming pump dispenser). My skin has never looked better. It has put my acne under control to the point where I am only getting an occasional bump during my time of the month. I love this method!