Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

3.3

oil

on 3/13/2009 10:36:00 AM

Edit: I just realized my review might be misleading. The OCM has not made my broken capillaries disappear--when I said my complexion was better, I mean that my skin had a nice dewy, supple look to it. But anyway, I decided not to use the OCM anymore because the steaming made me nervous (as I am still prone to broken capillaries). I use a variety of gentle, chemical-free bar soaps now and they work fine.

WOW!!!! My skin has not looked this good in ten years.

I have fine, sensitive skin with a pinkish undertone. I had been using Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing Gel twice a day for about 6 months. It has AHA's in it, but I figured it was okay since it didn't sting or anything. But suddenly, one day with no warning at all, I had broken capillaries ALL over my face. No extra sun, no extreme heat/cold, etc. I'd also been using topical acne medication (clyndamycin, Duac, Differin) on and off for about 13 years. I am no chemist/skin genius, but my assumption is that all the alcohol that I slathered on my face twice a day helped create my wrinkles at age 25 (yay!) and all the harshness of all of the above probably thinned out my skin or made it weaker in some way and it finally said "I've had it!"

Anyway, that's enough background. I stopped using ALL chemicals on my face (physical sunscreen only) and began using the OCM method.

I started out 6 months ago, originally I would use some EVOO and some organic Castor Oil (slightly more EVOO) and massage it into my skin for about 2 minutes, then wipe it off with warm water. I'd follow with PURE aloe as a toner. Then in the morning I'd just splash my face with warm water.

This worked all right, but it wasn't until I switched to my current routine 2 months ago that I began seeing great results:

1. Every morning and evening, I pour a quarter-sized bit of EVOO (brand is Pampa, bought it specifically for this) into the palm of my hand and follow with a dime of organic castor oil (brand is The Palma Christi - got it at Whole Foods).
2. I rub together in my hands and then massage gently into my face for 2 minutes.
3. Then I take a washcloth, soak it with very hot water, and wring it out completely.
4. I drape it over my face (it doesn't burn, it just steams) until it is room temperature (about a minute or so?)
5. Then I massage my face again to get rid of anything that it had steamed out.
6. Then I wet the washcloth (with warm water this time) and gently wipe all areas of my face.
7. Finally, I splash my face with cool water to close the pores. (Note: some recommend to add a tiny bit of oil to the face afterwards if it feels dry. I've tried this twice and broken out the next morning both times.)
8. Pour a few drops of pure aloe (my brand is Aubrey Organics) onto half of a cotton ball and wipe one side of the face, then use the other half to wipe the other. I have found that this gets rid of excess oil so that I my pimples are minimal.
9. Pour 4 drops of Mountain Rose Herbs Rosehip Seed Oil into your hand and dab it across my forehead and around my eyes (this is for those damn wrinkles). Wait a few minutes for it to soak in.
10. Massage a small amount of PURE, unrefined shea butter into my face. I get mine from The African Store in Cincinnati. Wait a few minutes for it to soak in.
11. Spread Mexitan SPF 30 sunscreen (physical sunscreen only) all over my face, neck, etc.

Doing this both in the evening AND in the morning has made a dramatic difference. But nevertheless, this works wonderfully and I occasionally have a pimple or two, but my skin looks so much better otherwise that I don't even care! ;)

on 3/10/2009 2:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Unfortunately, this method did not work for me. In fact, it severely irritated my skin after using it for a week and gave me a rash of eczema bumps on my forehead and chin. I also have increased clogs on the sides of my face. It made the skin on my cheeks look more radiant, but that was the only benefit. I have the same results when I used oil cleansers as well, which I like to use to remove makeup, but I can only use them on small regions of my face. I would suggest using it on small portions of your skin first to test it out.

on 3/1/2009 10:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

So, I tried ocm for the first time tonight using 25% cold pressed castor oil, 75% evoo, and a drop of lavender oil. I kept feeling a film on my face even after several passes with a warm, wet cloth, so I followed with a gentle aveeno cleanser. I then moisturized with a mixture of jojoba and olive oil. This felt way too heavy on my face, and I got freaked out at the idea of cystic acne, so I cleansed again with some bb tomato cleanser, then used diluted acv toner and olay night cream (probably too much messing around with my skin, but I was really scared to leave oil on my face after reading about some of your experiences!).
My skin is not acne-prone, but can be blotchy and dry (more so as I near 30). Recently I've experienced a very oily t-zone, plus red skin, milia and blackheads on my nose. The ocm got to most of the blackheads, and some combination of all the stuff I did really evened out the tone, and seems to have brightened and moistened my face quite a bit. There are a lot of positive reviews here, but I'm going to heed the warnings, and only try this once a week for the time being. After all, if this really is a deep cleansing, then it follows that it doesn't need to be done daily. I mean, I wouldn't use an abrasive scrub or a masque everyday because I don't want to irritate my skin or strip it of its natural oils. The same applies to ocm, IMO.
If I have no breakouts in the next week, I'll try ocm again. I'm definitely going to cleanse very gently afterward to make sure all oil is gone. I'll use the acv toner again, and then try moisturizing my cheeks and forehead with jojoba (these areas are extremely dry and wrinkly thanks to winter weather), but I don't know if I'm brave enough to use it all over yet! I'll update as soon as I can!

on 2/17/2009 2:16:00 PM

This really cleans my pores! I'm so amazed every time I examine them afterwards (huge difference!). But I only do this once a week because I'm scared to do it more often - it feels like a super deep clean, meaning that it's too irritating (lots of rubbing and steaming) for everyday. Plus it's takes more effort/time (at least 15min ) than I want to spend. Oh and I always follow with a reg. cleanser, Cetaphil, just to make sure all the oil is gone.

My mix (8oz):
20% Castor Oil (Cold pressed & processed)
40% EVOO
30% Grapeseed Oil
10% Jojoba Oil
Few drops of Tea Tree Oil

Update:In response to the poster who is really trying to sell the OCM- I don't "drown my skin in chemicals", I have sensitive skin that doesn't agree with this "OCM". I can't believe someone is taking a bad review that personally-sheesh! I agree with Hags 101, I had the same experience! Not to her extent, because I only did this for about a week. When I was doing it (EVOO, Castor Oil, massaged and then steamed and then followed up with toner)-I thought it was great! I could feel the little sebum plugs coming out! Even after, my skin looked really soft and "glowy", so needless to say I was impressed. Well, a day and a half after the first wash of this, I noticed the huge, bumpy cystic pimples all over my chin, cheek, and by my mouth! Nightmare! I naively thought this was everything being "purged" out of my skin. I stopped doing it, but have still noticed the big cycstic bumps that I am now desperately trying to get rid of!!!!!!!!! If it works for someone thats great, but if you have remotely sensitive skin like myself-stay away!!!

on 1/28/2009 10:59:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

To sum up my experience with TOCM... WOW!!!!!! This has done what years of different products has not... made my skin BEAUTIFUL! What used to be extra large pores on my nose are now almost invisible and smooth... and my face just feels great. I honestly feel that I've had a miracle happen to my skin... I'm just upset that it took me 38 years to find it!
FYI... I use the organic and coldpressed oils from mountainroseherbals.com... this is imporant to keep the oil free from impurities. 60% sunflower oil, 40% castor oil and some Lavender EO.
I noticed a huge improvement the very first time I did this...
I noticed some people on MUA had negative experiences with this method... IMHO, I think it's important to use the best oils, and only sunflower or jojoba for a carrier/companion oil. Due to the properties of these oils, they pair the best and are the most nourishing and non-comedogenic. But my best advice is... do your research... find the right receipe for your type of skin and change the formula till you get it right and working for you. My wish is for everyone to be as happy with this facial cleaning method as I am!!!

on 1/27/2009 11:23:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

I have been doing OCM for about 2 months now and I love it! I use castor and evoo (75% castor, 25% evoo). I mixed it and put in a stainless steel pump to make it easier. I pump twice and put it on my face and massage it in for 10 - 15 minutes. I then steam my face 4 times with a hot towel. By then all of the oil is gone and I opem my pores and apply a charcoal mask (Origins). Once that had completely dried I take it off and I apply Dermalogica Anti Bac cooling masque (which has been changed to Sebum Masque) and I sleep in it. My skin is so smooth the next morning. I then use Rocky Mountain Soap Company Field and Stream bar to wash my face and exfoliate with the St. Ives Dermabrasion scrub. My skin love it!

on 1/27/2009 3:13:00 AM

I started doing the OCM with various oils (including organic ones) and at first my skin felt so good! The plugs in my pores came right out and I looked like I did not even have pores they were so clean. Boy did it feel like I was pampering my skin..... until the breakouts started to happen. At first I thought that maybe my oil was expired because the OCM had worked so well for the first couple weeks (I would wake up with a couple whiteheads but just figured that I did not get all the oil off). I purchased new oil and I tried to push through the “purging” stage so many talk about. Boy was I naive.

Well, let me tell you that my skin is still suffering 5 months after I stopped doing the OCM. You see, oil does remove oils from your skin (idea behind OCM)... but how do you remove the oils that you place on your skin if water does not dissolve oil? There is also a toxin in Castor beans (Ricin) and if the castor oil is not cold pressed and filtered it still contains the toxins. I went from beautiful radiant skin from the Mario Badescu’s Enzyme Cleansing Gel (with the only problems being dark pores) to horrible BOIL INFESTED SKIN. I suffered from cystic acne around that time of the month (1 cyctic pimple), but I NEVER HAD BOILS BEFORE OCM! Even months after I stopped OCM I would wake up with huge dime sized boils (cystic looking inflamed spots) with usually two to three whiteheads on each of them. Some days it was even two or three lesions together. My face hurt and it throbbed. Some of them would break when I talked…. And others would “pop” when I gently washed my face (no washrag –just cleanser and gentle fingers). It took at least a month to clear each lesion and I was getting more daily (again… even months after stopping OCM). I had stopped wearing my usual mineral makeup because I did not want to stress my skin more by washing the makeup off. Having extremely fair skin that scars very easily I am full of scars from the boils caused from OCM. As a grown adult, I actually cried one night over this. I had to hold a cold washrag against my entire face because it hurt so bad from the boils all over (checks, chin, jawline, neck). I was really upset because I knew that it would probably take a year to get rid of the pigmentation scars left behind. The weird thing is that I got all those crazy boils on areas that were not problem areas (cheeks, jawline, neck, chin). I even read that Castor Oil can cause infections to the skin. Now I have dark purple scarring that concealor won’t even cover.

I have done tons of research on OCM since I stopped using it. If I ever dare to use OCM again (because of how well it cleansed my pores, moisturized, and balanced my oily skin so that it stopped overproducing oil) I will be adding Polysorbate 80 and Peg-7 Olivate into my formula. Peg-7 is a water soluble Olive oil ester and Polysorbate 80 is a water soluble emulsifier that disperses oil and water. What this means is that they will help the oils rinse clean with water (something that will not happen without these ingrediants …even with using a cleanser after OCM). Add 5% of each into your formula. I would also use only up to 20% of organic cold pressed castor oil from either GardenOfWisdom.com or MountainRoseHerbs.com. Another oil that could be helpful if you are acnegenic is Safflower oil high in linoleic acid. See http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/d_E_S_S/ for more information on how to figure out which oil is oleic or linoleic and what this oil can do for your skin.

Please make sure that you do not use the oils you have laying around in your kitchen. Those oils could be expired or spoiled from exposure to sunlight or air.

Also everyone's skin reacts differently to OCM. Some can’t use heat with OCM so they just massage and wipe off without steaming. Other people’s skin cannot handle being massaged for a lengthy amount of time (because they are severely acnegenic) so they only massage 2-5 minutes max. Others do not even massage. Make sure that if you do use the steaming method that you frequently change the washrag during the rinsing/steaming cycle and to use fresh water each time. A hand drying bathroom towel is the perfect size for these cycles.

****EDIT I found my perfect skin cleansing oil! I tried others like DHC - but I broke out from them -probably due to the essential oils. I have been using my own brew for 1 1/2 years now and my skin rarely breaks out (1 pimple every 3 months!!!) and my pores stay clean for 3 months (vs 1 week after extractions!) I have really congested and very oily skin and with the homemade cleanser my skin stays balanced and just gets lightly dewy after 8 hrs (vs oil slick after 20 minutes!). I use an 8oz bottle: fill 2/3 with Hemp Seed Oil unrefined, 1-3 Tbsp Castor oil (more for more congested skin, less to none for dry skin), 1-2 Tbsp Rosehips seed oil unrefined to counteract the dryness of the castor, and I fill the remaining bottle (almost 1/3) with polysorbate 80. I found that I did not necessarily need the Peg-7 Olivate - although adding a mix with the polysorbate 80 makes my skin softer. I have to follow with a toner such as witch hazel mixed with 1/3 water or floral water (both from MountainRoseHerbs.com) because I find that since my skin is in great condition it can feel too tight after straight witch hazel because of the alcohol content and the drugstore witch hazel is much more drying than the good stuff from MRH. Mario Badescu also makes really great toners that balance the pH in the skin. After toning I spritz my skin with Calendula floral water from MRH because it keeps my skin from getting oil for the entire day!! Now I started using the clarisonic and those tiny under the skin, skin colored bumps have disappeared! I need to try the deep brush head to see if it will keep my pores looking cleaner longer since the sensitive head does nothing more for my pores than the DDF Revolve or Olay Pro X brush. Good luck and message m

I have to agree with PinkMademoiselle. I did the Oil Cleansing Method, and I, too, got cystic pimples. Thankfully I didn't scar, but I had to enter school looking like a time bomb.

on 1/6/2009 9:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

One of the ancient methods for cleansing skin and evading wrinkles off skin perhaps in the long run!

I have seen my grandma and mom do this ages..my grand mom at 90 and my mom at 72, I can see these methods working without any kind of high end product or chemicals like retinol.

However, I had to do a little experiement and eventually broke out till i got the right combo of oils. And i did spend money on pure coldpressed oils. Luckily got only the smallest bottles.

In my opinion pure castor oil is a must, prsonally like Homehealth virtually no odor. Please do not buy old stocks especially sitting in shelves for long in Indian/ middle east stores. For a decent price, you can get from whole foods or any health foods store.

Try safflower oil, sesame oil, coconut oil, olive, jojoba, rosehip, wheatgerm, ricebran oil, grapeseed oil. You can also use pure almond oil, calendula oil, wild rose oil. But be willing to experiment with the combo. I like the recipe to be simple for most cost effectiveness and still have same wonderful effects.

In ayurveda - there are three types of skin -Vata, Kapha, Pitta..Please google and find more if you are interested. And different oils act differently, vry very true. So it is highly possible for people having breakouts that they might be using the wrong type of oil. To add to the complexity of skin chemistry..we can also vata-kapha, kapha-pita, and so on..these are kind of permutation/combinations of the 3 varieties. There are also specific foods for these types of body nature. I do find that very interesting. Some foods may be liked by us but may not be good for our system. I am reading more about it, so will update and share as and when i find products or concepts appropriate in this site.

For me castor oil + unrefined golden color not toasted sesame oil (or coconut oil but sesame is my fav) works the best. I added drops of pure tea tree oil to the mixture for some antiseptic properties. I dont know if it helps in controlling oil induced acne but i find it interesting that it does have a extra clean effect. In summer time, i am planning to add a few drops of neem seed oil as it can balance the oiliness of the skin.

I broke out with usage of pure imported olive oil, jojoba oil (great for hair thought), almond oil (surprising as it is a very light oil ). I have a small roll-on rosehip oil thing from some sample..i dont use it regularly so i cannot comment. I do know Ricebran oil is rich in Vit E , i see that in asian stores, ihave not tried it so far. Since my current formula works wonderfully well, i have no plans to change it till i have issues.

So taking this mixture i massage my face and neck outward with firm but gentle strokes. I do this for 10 minutes just that i like the feeling. then i put a bowl of water in microwave heat it up and the put a wash cloth in it, squeeze it and gently apply on face and neck. Repeat till the heat is reduced on cloth.

Then i go straight to shower..exfoliate the dead cells with brownsugar and honey. And i do use a bar soap - i got something fancy some months with green tea, it works well without drying. Follow it with a light lotion like cerave. Then when am ready to get out, i apply sunscreen.

I do this only 3 times a week. My facial and neck skin has been wonderful. I dont plan to do this for my whole body (my body skin is dry but face is combo-oily, weird huh) as it just would take hours to get it all soaked in. I have been trying this on face and neck on and off mainly due the fact that it takes a real good time. But off late i have promised myself to stick with routines which have helped me and this surely is a keeper!

I would surely say that sticking to this method has minimized my intense need for overnight miracles in a bottle (oh did i not write reviews on philosophy products?? Sure i should do that one day as i spend a lot of money on that!).

Thanks for reading with patience!