Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

3.3

oil

I was one of those people who loved the whole idea that "oil attracts oil" and was therefore convinced that the OCM would be a great way to deeply cleanse my pores. It IS a great idea in theory, in practice however, not so much. I really loved how I could feel all the plugs loosen from my skin when I massaged the oil into my face- it was just so...satisfying. (I was using a mixture of 30% castor oil, 70% grapeseed oil). I read other reviews where members kept complaining that the oil was clogging their pores and causing breakouts. I shrugged these reviews off, assuming that they weren't doing a good job removing and rinsing off the oil. Just to be on the safe side, I followed with a foaming face wash- to ensure there was no excess oil left behind. After the first week/week and half, I noticed little white heads beginning to form, but kept going. Three weeks in and I have a bunch of small white heads on my forehead and cheeks- I only get these bumps when I start using a rich moisturizer or if I am irritated by a product. BUMMER! If you are doing research online and come across the OCM and find yourself considering it, please read the reviews. I am sure this method works for some people. However, speaking as a woman with combination skin prone to breakouts, this did not work for me.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have had a problem with breakouts starting several months ago, and it has gotten progressively worse, I have tried everything!!! Changing my diet, even went raw for awhile, changed my moisturizer, my diet, you name it, nothing seemed to be working. I kept thinking to myselt, what is going on?! I've never had a problem with acne before. And then I started realizing that maybe it was my cleanser that I had started using around the same time a started breaking out....I know, why it took me several months to figure that one out, just call it genius ;) Anyway, I stopped using the cleanser and started using something else to clear up acne.......got worse!!! Now I am desperate and depressed and am ready to try anything. That's when I got online and stumbled across the OCM. After doing tons of research on it, I started thinking that maybe all of the stuff I was doing to treat acne was making it worse instead of better, so I gave it a shot, I am only on day 2 but instantly my skin felt like I had been given a shot of novicane for a tooth ache.

I was a little skeptical about trying it, especially after reading some of the negative reviews, but there are so many different oils to use, I think those who have had negative experiences are just not using the right oils. After doing literally hrs of research on the topic, here's my advice -

1. Choose your oils wisely!! Olive oil is probably great for dry skin, but it's not the best for oily skin. Even Jojoba can be slighlty comedogenetic. This website gave me some great insight when choosing my oil blend. http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acne_detective/article6.htm
It rates the oils on a scale of 0-5 for how comedogenetic the are and irritating they can be. Great resource

2. If you can't get all the oils off and you feel greasy, try steaming your face a little longer, but remember, oil is not a bad thing on your face if it's the right oil!!! Our skin needs oil. However, and this is very important, if your skin is still feeling to oily afterward, just do it at night, you don't want to cake makeup onto your face when it's already feeling oily, it will make a goopy mess of your skin

3. Get to know your skin, just because you are getting pimples doesn't mean you have "acne prone" skin, it could be just really sensitive, in which case acne products will only make it worse. Love your skin, don't punish it and don't buy the hype that oil is bad for your skin and that stripping it with acne treatments is the answer.

Last night, I finally realised that I was having a severe allergic reaction from all the cleanser and moisturize product that I used. I was having red little bumps at my cheeks, chin and forehead. And they can get pretty itchy too. And I was thinking, is this eczema ?So I decided to search the internet for a solution and stumbled upon this Oil cleansing method. I have a cooking oil at home which comprises of sunflower + olive oil. And I spread it around my whole face. Immediately, the itching stop. I wait for 10 minutes and I wash with warm water followed by tap water. My face felt smoother and I could feel that my face was less red after 1 hour later. This is amazing. This morning, I'm using it again to clean my face. Again the oil is doing it's amazing magic. Before I go to work, I just put on just a thin film of the oil again to moisturise my face. 1 hour later, my face is not oily at all. In fact, I can see it was less red and smoother than before. But I could see some little red bumps. It's alright. I think it will take time before my face finally clears up. If it does, I'm going to add 1 more lippie. I'm glad I finally found something suitable for my face. ( :

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

DONT DO IT!!!! DONT DO IT!!!! DONT DO IT!!!!
Unless..... You want 12 pimples on your face where youve never broken out before!!!!! At first I thought wow my face is so soft, it's really cleaning and clearing my skin. WRONG!!! WRONG!!!! wrong! wrong. just don't do it.

WOW!
i've finally discovered a way to use the OCM that works great for me!

seems my aging skin does not like water! so the steaming and using the water makes my skin dry and just not happy!

so - what i've been doing is do dampen a cotton ball and just wipe rose-hip seed oil on my face. i use it just the way i would use a toner. i keep changing cotton balls until i've done my whole face and they come away clean.

then i sometimes splash my face with cool water - or spray some orange flower water on my face - and add a little more rosehip seed oil if needed - and that's it!

in the morning i do it again - but not as thoroughly.

this has totally turned my skin around! i always had 2 pimples on the edge of my chin that never went away. they are gone - my skin looks flawless! my smile wrinkles are getting less noticeable too! it is amazing!

i think the exfoliation provided by the cotton ball is the key here. it is also not making my skin drier like other methods... on the contrary - when i am finished my skin is smooth and silky!

UPDATE: this ended up making my skin drier and drier and my pores started clogging up. i now just wet my washcloth and add a few drops of oil and scrub my face with it. this seems to unblock pores better for me.

UPDATE: i dont do this any more. now i use organic ghee mixed with a little turmeric and use it as a scrub and then remove with a warm washcloth. no clogged pores and silky smooth skin!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I like to do the OCM on Sunday mornings. I use EVOO and castor oil, mixed in a bottle. I apply the oil, massage it around for 1-2 min then steam and wipe with a microfiber cloth. For the rest of Sunday I let my face go bare, no application of any other products. The rest of the week I use Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash in Grapefruit (I don't have acne I just love the formula and the grapefruit scent) mixed with salt for exfoliation. Then I use my normal SPF day moisturizer and apply makeup. At night I wash with Ivory Soap and moisturize with EVOO. My skin has never looked better, and the regimen is fairly cheap. Love it.

I wont add too much in my review that has already been said, but I have been using this method for about a month and a half now and Im really loving the results. I'm using mostly Avocado Oil, with about 1/3 Cold Pressed Castor Oil for the solution. I message it in for about 5 mins, then use a CLEAN wash clothe to steam my face for a few mins. After I don't put anything on my face, just leave it for the night with a bit of the left over residue.
That being said, I ONLY use this method at most twice a week. This is a Deep Cleaning method, and I think why so many people start to get negative results after a while is because they're using it way to ofter. So I do recommend this, however, treat it like the deep cleaning method that it is and don't over do it.

I did this for like a month, tried all different combinations of oils, but liked sunflower oil the best since it's non-comedogenic (i'm very clog and acne prone). For a while I was using a sunflower and castor oil mixture, but found the castor oil was extremely hard to wash off afterward. In the end, I wound up switching to commercial cleansing-oils (the cheaper drug store brands you get in HK or Japan) because no matter how many times i wiped my face with a steaming hot washcloth and then used a foaming cleanser, there would be an oily residue on my skin. Even with commercial cleansing there is an oily residue leftover, but I can easily remove it with a foaming cleanser. My skin can not tolerate any excess oil, even if it's supposedly non-comedogenic.

The real benefit of using oil cleansers for me is that the manual manipulation loosens up lots of the blackheads that form during the day and many of them literally fall out when I am massaging my face. So gross and satisfying at the same time.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I don't think I could ever get my sunscreen off without oil, but I've learned that it's vital to select oils that are appropriate for my skin type (oily/acneic/sensitive). My two favorites are grapeseed oil and safflower oil. Safflower oil rinses clean in my experience -- no emulsifier required. Grapeseed oil melts my make-up and sunscreen upon contact, which I'm really grateful for when it comes time to remove my Bioderma Max Fluide (this stuff sticks to skin like glue!). A microfiber washcloth soaked in very warm water will remove most of the oil, and then I follow up with a gentle cleanser to remove the last traces. I get my oils from mountainroseherbs.com. ***EDIT*** I've discovered that safflower oil has to be refined in order to be used successfully without an emulsifier. Unrefined safflower oil leaves a stubborn residue behind.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Just reading these reviews forms a new film of oil on my face and suffocates my pores.
I use an oil cleanser, like DHC or Kanebo to remove my makeup and follow up with a foamy cleanser and moisturizer at night. And it works great.