October 25, 2014 | 1690 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2008 1:51:00 AM More reviews by lelaelena

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Oh I wanted this to work soooo well.
What can I say I am just unfortunate I guess.
I did 50/50 sweet almond and castor and really massaged like a maniac.

No pore gunk coming out (boy was I looking forward to that) no amazing improvement. But thankfully not horrible breakouts from it (my skin is ridiculous, minerals make it go cystic haywire, but i can drench it silicones and oils and it does nothing).

So what it is for me is a gentle makeup and eye makeup remover that takes a long time.

Not worth it.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/2/2008 2:48:00 PM More reviews by JVicious

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Let me preface this by saying that I really prefer a more natural approach to skin care, so I was eager to try this. I loved that it used products that weren't filled with chemicals, and were even in my kitchen cupboard (save for the castor oil).

I really, really wanted this to work for me. I did it every night for 3 weeks. I loved the ritual of massaging my face and feeling the little bits of blackheads and sebum popping out. My skin was soft and I thought my skin was clearing up. I thought wrong, unfortunately. Even though I switched from olive oil to jojoba oil to grapeseed oil, nothing really 'clicked' with my skin and the third week in I developed a bunch of little bumps on my forehead, cheek and jaws line. I thought this was purging so I carried on. Alas, big mistake! These bumps went from being mildly unattractive to full blown cystic spots. I NEVER got cystic spots until then. I had to stop.

It's been almost 5 weeks since the cystic fiasco and my skin still hasn't recovered. I have clogged pores all over my forehead. I feel as though it will take quite a few months for my forehead to clear completely. I'm quite upset as I have a huge bottle of castor oil left over (perhaps I'll swap?) and grapeseed oil too. At least I can cook with the latter!

Moral of the story: User beware. I'm glad, albeit a little jealous, that it has worked for others, and I wish it worked for me, but my skin is far too finicky and lets me know this with a vengeance. I'm still searching for my natural HG cleanser. I'm bent on never using chemicals again.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2008 2:58:00 PM More reviews by rocknride

I love the OCM and the results. It simplifies my night routine of make up removal and is very inexpensive. I massage the oils into my skin for about 5 minutes and that's it. I do use a microfiber washcloth to steam and wipe away the oils. They rinses out easily and dry quick.y I have blemish prone combination mature skin. I now use grapeseed and castor oil because it is lighter than using olive oil. I swear by using the OCM nightly and the aspirin mask a couple of times a week.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/27/2008 2:44:00 PM More reviews by silverylotus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have used this method twice so far. I am not sure if I love it enough yet to replace my normal routine (Philosophy Purity with my Clarisonic brush), but I will definitely keep at it to hopefully see long term results.

I read it somewhere on MUA or somewhere else to massage the oil for 20 minutes and the castor oil will draw out the impurities. So that's what I did. I have been using straight jojoba oil for about a week and that doesn't seem to do anything, so I finally bought the castor oil that is needed to make the OCM works. I have very oily skin so I made a mixture of 30% castor oil and 70% jojoba oil. Turn on the TV and start using the oil to massage my face. I was really amazed that 10 minutes into the process, I started to feel some "beads". They were my blackheads coming out of my pores! I do feel like I have larger than normal pores so maybe it won't be as apparent for those with normal pore sizes, but it definitely worked for me.

Regarding that purging process that has been talked about, I haven't experienced it as much. I have a few more breakouts than normal, but I used my normal must-have Mario Badescu Drying Lotion, which makes it go away overnight. Also, after I steam my face I wash everything away with my cleanser. That's just me though, although the oil doesn't really make my face feel oily, I just don't like the idea of anything left on my face. So I suppose I am really using the OCM as a deep cleansing treatment more than a daily face wash.

***Update on 06/04/2009 - I don't use this anymore. It is too time-consuming for me compared to normal cleaning method. I invested in a facial steamer for deep cleansing, 10 minutes 2-3 times a week does wonders for my pores. Plus, it's relaxing too.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2008 10:36:00 AM More reviews by Goldylox99

After amari_lani posted yesterday about using the jojoba and castor oil method for cleansing, I knew I had to try it. I had been using organic jojoba oil for both cleansing and moisturizing my face for the past 6 months. My face was brighter, the lines were diminishing, my pores were smaller, and the two little brown spots I had were fading. Some of you MUAers touted olive oil for OCM, so I bought some organic EVOO and tried it. I didn't notice any significant difference, except that the oil seemed heavier in my hands and it sat on my face and didn't absorb as well as the jojoba. I just figured this was the break-in period and my mileage would improve the longer I used it.

Then, after reading amari_lani's post, I knew that I had to try her method. To summarize, you rub a small amount of jojoba oil into your dry skin and massage for a few minutes. Then you rub a small amount of castor oil in over that and massage for a few minutes. Rinse with warm water and you're done! I had some of Baar's castor oil that I got from the Edgar Cayce Institute, so I used that along with my jojoba oil. The jojoba oil sank right in, and as I massaged, I could feel little pills of dead skin begin to roll off (and I exfoliate and use masks several times a week). Then the castor oil felt just as light when I added that, and it also sloughed off some dead skin in little pills.

I rinsed by getting one of my microfiber cloths wet with very warm water and rinsing off the oil. It was amazing how dark some of the grime that I removed was (the heated oil and dirt). I rinsed and steamed until my face felt clean, then applied my evening routine products (Revale Eye Cream and Night Cream and Green Cream 9). I then proceeded to stay up very late last night and didn't get anywhere near my usual 7-8 hours of sleep. However, when I looked in the mirror, my face glowed, my pores were minimized, the brown spots were fading, the fine lines were almost gone, and I looked fabulous!

I can't thank amari_lani enough for this method or recommend it too highly. I also use jojoba oil as a moisturizer, both in the morning and evening, and DH uses it for some skin problems he has. It is great!!! continued >>

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2008 2:42:00 AM More reviews by amara_lani

Olive oil, Sweet Almond oil, peanut oil, sesame oil, coconut oil, evening primrose oil, avocado oil, wheat germ oil, sandalwood seed oil, and soybean oil are all very comedogenic. If you are breakout-prone at all, steer clear or you'll be setting yourself up for disappointment!

On the other hand, cold-pressed/expeller-pressed safflower oil, sunflower oil, castor oil, and jojoba oil are more noncomedogenic (with the latter, jojoba, best for acne-prone skin types).

I model my OCM after my formerly-favorite cleansing system, BABOR from Germany. Highly regarded, yet contains fragrance and some comedogenic ingredients so I make my own organic version without the comedogenic stuff and follow the same procedural instructions to do it the right way!

Here it is:

1) Certified Organic Jojoba oil massaged well into dry skin (gently removes my eye makeup too). Do not rinse.
2) Pure Castor oil massaged over skin to mix with the jojoba oil that is already on the skin. Massage well.
3) Rinse hands and add a tiny amount of water to the face to loosen it all up. Gradually add more and more water while massaging in circles until watery. Rinse face well, then pat dry.

That's it. Surprisingly easy with no additional pore-clogging oils needed. If Jojoba Oil (step 1) won't work for you, try cold-pressed/expeller-pressed safflower oil or sunflower oil. You can get fancy and add some quality extracts to the Castor Oil (step 2) to make a neat concoction. The BABOR system uses the following extracts: tilia cordata flower extract, hops (humulus lupulus) extract, and melissa officinalis leaf extract.

Tea Tree or Rosemary essential oils could help if acne or oily skin is a concern.

Be careful about using hot water on your face or a hot washcloth. It feels nice but working with lukewarm water and gently using your hands or the softest of cleansing tools will help to minimize irritation. You can follow the OCM method with a gentle toner (try Suki with aloe, chamomile, calendula, and tea tree), serum, and moisturizer as well. Just pick top-quality stuff, not necessarily expensive, just know your ingredients and do your homework. Happy OCMing!

48 out of 51 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/2/2008 8:42:00 AM More reviews by JulietF

Okay so I too read the reviews here and was so exited!! I changed my routine to dr. Hauschka, cause I wanted to put more natural products on my face & body..

What I did was steam my face every other day and I mixed 50% CO and 50% EVOO and messaged this on for a few minutes. Then I rubbed this off with a warm/hot washcloth.

It did feel cleansed and lightly moisturized afterwards, BUT after about 2 weeks I got some small bumps here and there. I figured it was the purging some people had discussed. So I sticked with it, which was a HUGE mistake. I got really bad cystic pimples all over my face and blemishes on my cheeks, which I normally hardly get..

I didn't feel this kind of nasty, embarrasing purging was worth it, even if it did turn out better later on.. which I doubt it would anyway!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2008 12:01:00 AM More reviews by luckylouie

I have normal/combination skin with large pores that get blocked easily. The oil cleansing method does work for me, but not well enough to bother with on a daily basis. Instead I use it once or twice a week as a deep cleanse before putting on a mask. This is enough to keep my pores clean and normalise oil secretions. Once a day was overkill and left my skin feeling stripped of all moisture, no matter what oil combinations I try. For reference I use now use a mixture of around 30% castor oil and 70% macadamia oil with a few drops of essential oil of rosemary for its antioxidant properties.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/1/2008 10:05:00 PM More reviews by lethargy

the oil cleansing method was working well for me for a while
then i used castor oil

castor oil worked wonders for me for like a week
and then it completely dried my skin out

my skin has become dehydrated and dry

i have to try some how to reverse the side effects
probably stop washing my face for about a week and let my skin rejuvenate itself

just be aware of castor oil and how terribly drying it can be

God bless you on your skin journey ladies

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2008 3:42:00 AM More reviews by bxx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i've been using this method for the past 5 weeks and i've only got great things to say. after trying every product under the sun and spending ridiculous amounts of $$, i find this method a godsend.
i've got normal-oily skin that's prone to break outs and those under the skin type spots that make your complexion look gross!
in desperation, i tried the ocm. I use a mixture of castor, jojoba, rice bran and avocado oil with a few drops of tea tree oil to tackle the spots. i found that the trick is to make sure you steam your face 2-3 times with the washcloth before you start wiping off the oil otherwise, you won't get everything out of your pores. i only do the regimen at night and follow it with a spray of lavender water (for it's calming effect), a teeny tiny dab of jojoba oil and tea tree oil to spot treat.
in the morning i just gently wash with cetaphil, apply a 10% glycolic acid cream and a 30+ sunscreen.
i find the ocm removes all traces of make up and sunscreen so effectively, you shouldn't really need to use a cleanser afterwards, you'd be stripping your skin unnescessarily otherwise which can lead to more pimples, yuck!
now that my skin is clearing, i just have to find a solution for those post acne marks left on my skin. i'm trialing the eggwhite and lemon mask in the evenings and will report my findings after i've given it a 4 week trial period.