October 1, 2014 | 1779 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2008 10:36:00 AM More reviews by Goldylox99

After amari_lani posted yesterday about using the jojoba and castor oil method for cleansing, I knew I had to try it. I had been using organic jojoba oil for both cleansing and moisturizing my face for the past 6 months. My face was brighter, the lines were diminishing, my pores were smaller, and the two little brown spots I had were fading. Some of you MUAers touted olive oil for OCM, so I bought some organic EVOO and tried it. I didn't notice any significant difference, except that the oil seemed heavier in my hands and it sat on my face and didn't absorb as well as the jojoba. I just figured this was the break-in period and my mileage would improve the longer I used it.

Then, after reading amari_lani's post, I knew that I had to try her method. To summarize, you rub a small amount of jojoba oil into your dry skin and massage for a few minutes. Then you rub a small amount of castor oil in over that and massage for a few minutes. Rinse with warm water and you're done! I had some of Baar's castor oil that I got from the Edgar Cayce Institute, so I used that along with my jojoba oil. The jojoba oil sank right in, and as I massaged, I could feel little pills of dead skin begin to roll off (and I exfoliate and use masks several times a week). Then the castor oil felt just as light when I added that, and it also sloughed off some dead skin in little pills.

I rinsed by getting one of my microfiber cloths wet with very warm water and rinsing off the oil. It was amazing how dark some of the grime that I removed was (the heated oil and dirt). I rinsed and steamed until my face felt clean, then applied my evening routine products (Revale Eye Cream and Night Cream and Green Cream 9). I then proceeded to stay up very late last night and didn't get anywhere near my usual 7-8 hours of sleep. However, when I looked in the mirror, my face glowed, my pores were minimized, the brown spots were fading, the fine lines were almost gone, and I looked fabulous!

I can't thank amari_lani enough for this method or recommend it too highly. I also use jojoba oil as a moisturizer, both in the morning and evening, and DH uses it for some skin problems he has. It is great!!! continued >>

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2008 2:42:00 AM More reviews by amara_lani

Olive oil, Sweet Almond oil, peanut oil, sesame oil, coconut oil, evening primrose oil, avocado oil, wheat germ oil, sandalwood seed oil, and soybean oil are all very comedogenic. If you are breakout-prone at all, steer clear or you'll be setting yourself up for disappointment!

On the other hand, cold-pressed/expeller-pressed safflower oil, sunflower oil, castor oil, and jojoba oil are more noncomedogenic (with the latter, jojoba, best for acne-prone skin types).

I model my OCM after my formerly-favorite cleansing system, BABOR from Germany. Highly regarded, yet contains fragrance and some comedogenic ingredients so I make my own organic version without the comedogenic stuff and follow the same procedural instructions to do it the right way!

Here it is:

1) Certified Organic Jojoba oil massaged well into dry skin (gently removes my eye makeup too). Do not rinse.
2) Pure Castor oil massaged over skin to mix with the jojoba oil that is already on the skin. Massage well.
3) Rinse hands and add a tiny amount of water to the face to loosen it all up. Gradually add more and more water while massaging in circles until watery. Rinse face well, then pat dry.

That's it. Surprisingly easy with no additional pore-clogging oils needed. If Jojoba Oil (step 1) won't work for you, try cold-pressed/expeller-pressed safflower oil or sunflower oil. You can get fancy and add some quality extracts to the Castor Oil (step 2) to make a neat concoction. The BABOR system uses the following extracts: tilia cordata flower extract, hops (humulus lupulus) extract, and melissa officinalis leaf extract.

Tea Tree or Rosemary essential oils could help if acne or oily skin is a concern.

Be careful about using hot water on your face or a hot washcloth. It feels nice but working with lukewarm water and gently using your hands or the softest of cleansing tools will help to minimize irritation. You can follow the OCM method with a gentle toner (try Suki with aloe, chamomile, calendula, and tea tree), serum, and moisturizer as well. Just pick top-quality stuff, not necessarily expensive, just know your ingredients and do your homework. Happy OCMing!

48 out of 51 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/2/2008 8:42:00 AM More reviews by JulietF

Okay so I too read the reviews here and was so exited!! I changed my routine to dr. Hauschka, cause I wanted to put more natural products on my face & body..

What I did was steam my face every other day and I mixed 50% CO and 50% EVOO and messaged this on for a few minutes. Then I rubbed this off with a warm/hot washcloth.

It did feel cleansed and lightly moisturized afterwards, BUT after about 2 weeks I got some small bumps here and there. I figured it was the purging some people had discussed. So I sticked with it, which was a HUGE mistake. I got really bad cystic pimples all over my face and blemishes on my cheeks, which I normally hardly get..

I didn't feel this kind of nasty, embarrasing purging was worth it, even if it did turn out better later on.. which I doubt it would anyway!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2008 12:01:00 AM More reviews by luckylouie

I have normal/combination skin with large pores that get blocked easily. The oil cleansing method does work for me, but not well enough to bother with on a daily basis. Instead I use it once or twice a week as a deep cleanse before putting on a mask. This is enough to keep my pores clean and normalise oil secretions. Once a day was overkill and left my skin feeling stripped of all moisture, no matter what oil combinations I try. For reference I use now use a mixture of around 30% castor oil and 70% macadamia oil with a few drops of essential oil of rosemary for its antioxidant properties.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/1/2008 10:05:00 PM More reviews by lethargy

the oil cleansing method was working well for me for a while
then i used castor oil

castor oil worked wonders for me for like a week
and then it completely dried my skin out

my skin has become dehydrated and dry

i have to try some how to reverse the side effects
probably stop washing my face for about a week and let my skin rejuvenate itself

just be aware of castor oil and how terribly drying it can be

God bless you on your skin journey ladies

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2008 3:42:00 AM More reviews by bxx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i've been using this method for the past 5 weeks and i've only got great things to say. after trying every product under the sun and spending ridiculous amounts of $$, i find this method a godsend.
i've got normal-oily skin that's prone to break outs and those under the skin type spots that make your complexion look gross!
in desperation, i tried the ocm. I use a mixture of castor, jojoba, rice bran and avocado oil with a few drops of tea tree oil to tackle the spots. i found that the trick is to make sure you steam your face 2-3 times with the washcloth before you start wiping off the oil otherwise, you won't get everything out of your pores. i only do the regimen at night and follow it with a spray of lavender water (for it's calming effect), a teeny tiny dab of jojoba oil and tea tree oil to spot treat.
in the morning i just gently wash with cetaphil, apply a 10% glycolic acid cream and a 30+ sunscreen.
i find the ocm removes all traces of make up and sunscreen so effectively, you shouldn't really need to use a cleanser afterwards, you'd be stripping your skin unnescessarily otherwise which can lead to more pimples, yuck!
now that my skin is clearing, i just have to find a solution for those post acne marks left on my skin. i'm trialing the eggwhite and lemon mask in the evenings and will report my findings after i've given it a 4 week trial period.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2008 5:24:00 PM More reviews by smkyzor

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

First of all i suffered from mild but persistant acne since I was 15 years old (im 21 now), and visited many dermatologist who prescribed me anti-acne topicals and antibiotics (never prescribed me accutane because my acne was not that severe) that some helped but not ever faded my whole acne. By desperation, ive tried the OCM and in 2 weeks i got THE WORST BREAKOUT EVER IN MY WHOLE LIFE!
So i went to the dermatologist and he prescribed me (guess what?) ACCUTANE!!!!!!! ahahaha its been like 1 month since ive taking the magic pill and my acne totally faded away, no more blackheads, nice skin tone and only by taking the pills, clean and moisturize! IVE NEVER FELT SO GOOD YES!

So many thanks to the OCM to get me prescribed ACCUTANE ;D

To all the "accutane haters" this stuff rules i only get dry lips! what an amazing pill ;D;D

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2008 10:52:00 PM More reviews by urstandingonmytoes

After reading the reviews, I started OCM tonight using a 75% castor 25% safflower oil combo (which I might change to 50-50). I am both nervous and excited...I'm fearing the horrible breakouts that some people have had, and hoping for the glorious results other have had. I massaged this into my face and could see gunk coming out of the pores on my nose--ICK!! Then I soaked my microfiber washcloth in HOT water and gently began removing my makeup, resoaking it everytime it got cool. After removing as much of the oil as I could, I washed my face using PURPOSE cleanser...dabbed some safflower oil around my eyes and used a 2% salisyclic acid toner. I will update if my skin clears up or if it gets worse. (I'm giving this 4 lippies for now, I'll change it according to my skin)
EDIT: Day 3....I had been fighting with 2 cystic breakouts before trying this, and for some reason they are now healing quite rapidly. I haven't had any new pimples form--YET. I've done OCM for the last 3 nights, but I will skip tomorrow and just cleanse with my normal routine. From what I've read, OCM isn't for every night, but 2-3x a week.
EDIT: Day 6....I'm starting to have some break outs along my jawline, I'm not sure if this is the purging period--or just my skin reacting negatively. I have noticed my face is dry and flaky which I wasn't really expecting. So, based on how my skin is reacting...I don't think this is working for me and I'm going to stop while I'm ahead.
FINAL EDIT: Pond's Cold Cream works just as well and is a lot less effort..if you're looking for an "easy" way to try OCM. However, for my acne prone skin....OCM caused more problems than it fixed....right now I am battling one of the worst break outs of my life, my face looks horrid with acne on my cheeks ( I never get acne there!!)...cysts...clogged pores...sigh its just a mess. I'm going back to my basic routine and keeping my fingers crossed that I can undo what I've done. If you choose to try OCM...just keep in mind that it doesn't work for everyone, so proceed slowly and Good Luck.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2008 6:25:00 AM More reviews by MellyHelly

I'm now on my 4th week with OCM and can't really decide if it is totally for me or not. Anyway I go on because I like it! It's easy relaxing and natural. That last is one of the reason why I started using OCM.
I gave up all commecial/chemical products after years of changing routine every 2 months, because my skin became "tired" according to SA. What exactloy does it mean? Oh, I know... It means that I bought cleanser+toner+cream from a brand, worked a little (always with tight and slightly inflamed skin), then got some rush, then irritation, then breakouts, then went back to teh store to ask for something "else" and began the loop again.
This stopped when I switched to natural high quality skincare. For me that means: Dr.Hauschka and Weleda for sensitive skin.
I was religiously set on my expensive/effective/mild Dr.Hauschka Cleansing Milk and toner routine when I heard about OCM, watched reviews and decided to try.
My skin is fair olive, combination but very sensitive, a little bit dehydrated, thin, sun sensitive, starting to aging and blackhead-prone with occasional pimple.
Dr.Hauschka routine helped me to fight all these.
Only blackheads on chin and around nose were stubborn. They are small and not so visible under makeup.
The first week I used only EVOO 100% because I didn't have Castor Oil and it worked nicely. Then I bought CO and tried blends.
I'm now using 10% castor oil and 90% EEVO and I'm not going to change for a while.
I once used almond oil instead of EEVO and wasn't s
good as a choice, but it doesn't sting eyes.
I still skip night cream and put Dr.Hauschka toner instead and in the morning I wash my face with a tiny small amount of vegetable soap or shower cream from Weleda.

These are my steps to wear the day off at night:

1. I put some mineral water on fire to make herbal tea.
2. I massage my oil blend on my face while waiting, trying to melt all makeup. This is the step where I look like a panda.
3. I pour boiling water in my mug and the rest in a bowl where I put a clean little pre-wet (with cold water) and squeezed face towel.
4. I take the towel out of hot water, handling carefully not to burn my fingers and squeeze it very tightly and put it immediately on my face and press gently.
5. It's hot but not annoying. Actually it's also relaxing. The oil and makeup goes directly into the towel.
6. I repeat the steam if necessary, but most of the times I just wipe oil away from face using the "clean" side of the towel.

That's all. It takes only few minutes while making tea.
If I use teabags I use them like a toner.

My opinion is

PRO:
- good removal for makeup
- all natural and cheap
- clean pores deeply and help reduce blackheads and residue, giving a more radiant complexion
- relaxing

DOWN:
- Castor oil stinks, it's sticky and cleanse too much for my taste.
- I don't know effects on a long-term
- I'm not sure it's good for your eyes... It removes makeup very easily, but it stings a little and in the morning my eyes are sometimes puffy and swollen (that happened even before OCM, but I don't want to make it worse)
- it's somehow dehydrating as a method and I need more cream in the morning then I needed before.
- the first week my skin was clearer but I got two big painful pimples right at the beginning of my eye-brows, hidden by hair and pencil. They went away very easily in 2 days. Weird...
One has become a very small encrusted item on my face. It's really invisible, but I can touch it.

On the fourth week my skin is pretty clear, not extremely happy, maybe due to weather change. Blackheads are not gone away completely and there are two tiny dry "heads" on my left cheekbone that don't want to go away. I think that this could be caused by Castor Oil ruder effect.

EDIT week 7: now on my 7th week I came back to add a lippie, because this method is really helping to keep my skin clear and clean.
I do it every night. It's a little bit stripping since I raised Castor Oil to 50%, but it really deeply cleanse, especially with a good steaming.
The reverse side is that it gives me an idea that it's a no-turn back method... I only skipped 2 nights in row because I was away from home and took my good old Dr.Hauschka Cleansing milk with me, which worked just so fine as usual, BUT in 2 days I got a big whitehead on the side of my face and a few little pimples over my eyebrow. It all went away after 2 days more back on OCM and perhaps these flaws were due to climate changing, food changing, little sleep etc etc. I also got a strong cold that it's making my nose flaking on the sides. I will stick to OCM for a while until I recover from cold and then we will see want to do.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/12/2008 10:50:00 AM More reviews by ViolentPink

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Your mileage may vary is an understatement!
I tried this out months ago and for the first couple weeks, I raved about it. It certainly lessened the appearance of my blackheads, which no other product or process had before.
After the initial glow, mentally and physically, had worn off, I started breaking out in a dry, rashy acne on my cheeks. I wasn't particularly acne prone before OCM, and especially not on my cheeks, and not in this way. I stuck with it still, enamored with those first results I got.
But, like a drug, nothing ever stood up to the first few uses. The acne got a lot worse, and spread around until I looked like I had a condition. My fault, perhaps, for not switching away sooner. I did eventually, though, to a normal cleanser and moisturizer regimen. My newfound acne patches ceased to grow anymore, and are finally starting to heal up. I have a lot of pigmentation in those areas now, which is very frustrating, but it's better than having irritated sandpaper skin!
I have read similar experiences to my own many times. Even if you LOVE the results in the beginning, be aware of negative changes in your skin as well. If you notice negative effects, consider stopping sooner than later, instead of what I did.