October 31, 2014 | 1494 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2008 10:18:00 AM More reviews by Lyrics

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

In the beginning this was really good. It calmed my t-zone down A LOT. I actually had "normal skin", even though I was slathering on the moisturiser. I was doing this every evening with a fresh wash cloth, making sure I removed every trace of oil. So for two or three weeks, my skin was doing really well. I wouldn't go as far as saying I glowed, but my skin was well-balanced and acted normal for once. In the mornings I just used to wash with ordinary water.

Fast forward three to four weeks later, and I have broken out in the worst possible way. I am acne-prone, but I haven't had this kind of break out since my late teens. Cystic spots EVERYWHERE - forhead, chin, cheeks (the most and the worst), nose - you name it on my face, it's there! And the spots are clustered to!! Almost co-joined!
I have since stopped the OCM, and am cleansing twice a day with my tried and true liquid black soap which has turned my skin around in the past. The spots are beginning to calm down (two weeks after initial break-out - you know I had to act fast) and to dry out. I am not toning with an alcohol-based toner though, but bought some pure witch hazel, which seems to be doing the trick as well. I am also doing clay masks every other day or so. I hope that my skin will be back to normal soon :-(.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/4/2008 10:48:00 AM More reviews by Apryl47

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I tried cleansing my face with Jojoba Oil hoping to draw out impurities like it has done for others. I have always been acne prone and I went through one round of Accutane. The spot I break out most is my chin.

I suppose I should have known better because I tried cleansing my skin with DHC Deep Cleansing Oil for over 1 month and it really ruined my skin. I hasn't been the same since actually. Anyways using Jojoba to wash my face resulted in the worst chin breakout I have seen in a looooong time. I really can't remember when the last time it was that bad, I guess before I went on Accutane, which was about 3 years ago.

Funny thing is that this happened the very next day! It was very weird actually because I've never had a reaction like that before. Some people will say that my skin is just purging but I know better now because I thought the same thing when I used the DHC Oil and it turned out that my skin just does not like oil slathered on it.

I have a theory on why this is not working. Apparently Jojoba oil closely mimics human sebum. So you would think that putting an oil on your face that is so close to your own wouldn't be bad for it right? Well, what do they say happens when you over wash your face? That your skin over-produces oil and then in turn makes you break out. So why would you want to put extra oil on your face when you have been told that too much oil will make you break out? Ha!

Well anyways, I'm sure it works for some people but it did NOT work for me. In fact, I was using a moisturizer that had Jojoba oil in it and that made me break out as well. Boo!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/4/2008 4:36:00 AM More reviews by Shadow11

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Like the last two reviewers, I really wanted to like this cleansing system. The first 2-3 weeks that I used it worked really well and my sensitive, break-out prone skin seemed to be responding very encouragingly to it but then my skin started to break out in the worst way. I persisted with the system for a few months hoping it would balance out, but it never did. I came up in nasty, cystic like spots as well as smaller whiteheads all over my forehead and down the sides of my cheeks and the black-head prone areas in the small crease of my chin and the sides of my nose were more clogged than ever.

I was very thorough about removing all traces of oil after each cleanse (once a day at night), even using a fresh face-cloth every time but nothing helped so I have had put an end to the entire thing. My skin is taking ages to heal up now. One plus about this system that I have noticed though is that my (normallyy rather oily) T-Zone seemed to calm down and was much less oily and this has continued even though I have stopped using this cleansing system.. All in all I thought it rather strange that my skin was making less oil but I was breaking out more and I am very disappointed because I really hoped that this would be my HG cleansing system, but I'm afraid that my quest continues.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2008 1:51:00 AM More reviews by lelaelena

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Oh I wanted this to work soooo well.
What can I say I am just unfortunate I guess.
I did 50/50 sweet almond and castor and really massaged like a maniac.

No pore gunk coming out (boy was I looking forward to that) no amazing improvement. But thankfully not horrible breakouts from it (my skin is ridiculous, minerals make it go cystic haywire, but i can drench it silicones and oils and it does nothing).

So what it is for me is a gentle makeup and eye makeup remover that takes a long time.

Not worth it.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/2/2008 2:48:00 PM More reviews by JVicious

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Let me preface this by saying that I really prefer a more natural approach to skin care, so I was eager to try this. I loved that it used products that weren't filled with chemicals, and were even in my kitchen cupboard (save for the castor oil).

I really, really wanted this to work for me. I did it every night for 3 weeks. I loved the ritual of massaging my face and feeling the little bits of blackheads and sebum popping out. My skin was soft and I thought my skin was clearing up. I thought wrong, unfortunately. Even though I switched from olive oil to jojoba oil to grapeseed oil, nothing really 'clicked' with my skin and the third week in I developed a bunch of little bumps on my forehead, cheek and jaws line. I thought this was purging so I carried on. Alas, big mistake! These bumps went from being mildly unattractive to full blown cystic spots. I NEVER got cystic spots until then. I had to stop.

It's been almost 5 weeks since the cystic fiasco and my skin still hasn't recovered. I have clogged pores all over my forehead. I feel as though it will take quite a few months for my forehead to clear completely. I'm quite upset as I have a huge bottle of castor oil left over (perhaps I'll swap?) and grapeseed oil too. At least I can cook with the latter!

Moral of the story: User beware. I'm glad, albeit a little jealous, that it has worked for others, and I wish it worked for me, but my skin is far too finicky and lets me know this with a vengeance. I'm still searching for my natural HG cleanser. I'm bent on never using chemicals again.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2008 2:58:00 PM More reviews by rocknride

I love the OCM and the results. It simplifies my night routine of make up removal and is very inexpensive. I massage the oils into my skin for about 5 minutes and that's it. I do use a microfiber washcloth to steam and wipe away the oils. They rinses out easily and dry quick.y I have blemish prone combination mature skin. I now use grapeseed and castor oil because it is lighter than using olive oil. I swear by using the OCM nightly and the aspirin mask a couple of times a week.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/27/2008 2:44:00 PM More reviews by silverylotus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have used this method twice so far. I am not sure if I love it enough yet to replace my normal routine (Philosophy Purity with my Clarisonic brush), but I will definitely keep at it to hopefully see long term results.

I read it somewhere on MUA or somewhere else to massage the oil for 20 minutes and the castor oil will draw out the impurities. So that's what I did. I have been using straight jojoba oil for about a week and that doesn't seem to do anything, so I finally bought the castor oil that is needed to make the OCM works. I have very oily skin so I made a mixture of 30% castor oil and 70% jojoba oil. Turn on the TV and start using the oil to massage my face. I was really amazed that 10 minutes into the process, I started to feel some "beads". They were my blackheads coming out of my pores! I do feel like I have larger than normal pores so maybe it won't be as apparent for those with normal pore sizes, but it definitely worked for me.

Regarding that purging process that has been talked about, I haven't experienced it as much. I have a few more breakouts than normal, but I used my normal must-have Mario Badescu Drying Lotion, which makes it go away overnight. Also, after I steam my face I wash everything away with my cleanser. That's just me though, although the oil doesn't really make my face feel oily, I just don't like the idea of anything left on my face. So I suppose I am really using the OCM as a deep cleansing treatment more than a daily face wash.

***Update on 06/04/2009 - I don't use this anymore. It is too time-consuming for me compared to normal cleaning method. I invested in a facial steamer for deep cleansing, 10 minutes 2-3 times a week does wonders for my pores. Plus, it's relaxing too.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2008 10:36:00 AM More reviews by Goldylox99

After amari_lani posted yesterday about using the jojoba and castor oil method for cleansing, I knew I had to try it. I had been using organic jojoba oil for both cleansing and moisturizing my face for the past 6 months. My face was brighter, the lines were diminishing, my pores were smaller, and the two little brown spots I had were fading. Some of you MUAers touted olive oil for OCM, so I bought some organic EVOO and tried it. I didn't notice any significant difference, except that the oil seemed heavier in my hands and it sat on my face and didn't absorb as well as the jojoba. I just figured this was the break-in period and my mileage would improve the longer I used it.

Then, after reading amari_lani's post, I knew that I had to try her method. To summarize, you rub a small amount of jojoba oil into your dry skin and massage for a few minutes. Then you rub a small amount of castor oil in over that and massage for a few minutes. Rinse with warm water and you're done! I had some of Baar's castor oil that I got from the Edgar Cayce Institute, so I used that along with my jojoba oil. The jojoba oil sank right in, and as I massaged, I could feel little pills of dead skin begin to roll off (and I exfoliate and use masks several times a week). Then the castor oil felt just as light when I added that, and it also sloughed off some dead skin in little pills.

I rinsed by getting one of my microfiber cloths wet with very warm water and rinsing off the oil. It was amazing how dark some of the grime that I removed was (the heated oil and dirt). I rinsed and steamed until my face felt clean, then applied my evening routine products (Revale Eye Cream and Night Cream and Green Cream 9). I then proceeded to stay up very late last night and didn't get anywhere near my usual 7-8 hours of sleep. However, when I looked in the mirror, my face glowed, my pores were minimized, the brown spots were fading, the fine lines were almost gone, and I looked fabulous!

I can't thank amari_lani enough for this method or recommend it too highly. I also use jojoba oil as a moisturizer, both in the morning and evening, and DH uses it for some skin problems he has. It is great!!! continued >>

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2008 2:42:00 AM More reviews by amara_lani

Olive oil, Sweet Almond oil, peanut oil, sesame oil, coconut oil, evening primrose oil, avocado oil, wheat germ oil, sandalwood seed oil, and soybean oil are all very comedogenic. If you are breakout-prone at all, steer clear or you'll be setting yourself up for disappointment!

On the other hand, cold-pressed/expeller-pressed safflower oil, sunflower oil, castor oil, and jojoba oil are more noncomedogenic (with the latter, jojoba, best for acne-prone skin types).

I model my OCM after my formerly-favorite cleansing system, BABOR from Germany. Highly regarded, yet contains fragrance and some comedogenic ingredients so I make my own organic version without the comedogenic stuff and follow the same procedural instructions to do it the right way!

Here it is:

1) Certified Organic Jojoba oil massaged well into dry skin (gently removes my eye makeup too). Do not rinse.
2) Pure Castor oil massaged over skin to mix with the jojoba oil that is already on the skin. Massage well.
3) Rinse hands and add a tiny amount of water to the face to loosen it all up. Gradually add more and more water while massaging in circles until watery. Rinse face well, then pat dry.

That's it. Surprisingly easy with no additional pore-clogging oils needed. If Jojoba Oil (step 1) won't work for you, try cold-pressed/expeller-pressed safflower oil or sunflower oil. You can get fancy and add some quality extracts to the Castor Oil (step 2) to make a neat concoction. The BABOR system uses the following extracts: tilia cordata flower extract, hops (humulus lupulus) extract, and melissa officinalis leaf extract.

Tea Tree or Rosemary essential oils could help if acne or oily skin is a concern.

Be careful about using hot water on your face or a hot washcloth. It feels nice but working with lukewarm water and gently using your hands or the softest of cleansing tools will help to minimize irritation. You can follow the OCM method with a gentle toner (try Suki with aloe, chamomile, calendula, and tea tree), serum, and moisturizer as well. Just pick top-quality stuff, not necessarily expensive, just know your ingredients and do your homework. Happy OCMing!

48 out of 51 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/2/2008 8:42:00 AM More reviews by JulietF

Okay so I too read the reviews here and was so exited!! I changed my routine to dr. Hauschka, cause I wanted to put more natural products on my face & body..

What I did was steam my face every other day and I mixed 50% CO and 50% EVOO and messaged this on for a few minutes. Then I rubbed this off with a warm/hot washcloth.

It did feel cleansed and lightly moisturized afterwards, BUT after about 2 weeks I got some small bumps here and there. I figured it was the purging some people had discussed. So I sticked with it, which was a HUGE mistake. I got really bad cystic pimples all over my face and blemishes on my cheeks, which I normally hardly get..

I didn't feel this kind of nasty, embarrasing purging was worth it, even if it did turn out better later on.. which I doubt it would anyway!