April 16, 2014 | 1386 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method OCM

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 8/22/2008 9:58:00 PM More reviews by jabatl

Tried this one time and my face broke out worse than when I was a teenager. Took almost a week to get rid of the giant red zits. I was really excited about trying it too.

Perhaps the homemade method requires an emulsifier as one poster told me, to make the product rinse clean. I don't think I'm brave enough to try this again.

If you're going to try this, please do a small test area first!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/3/2008 4:56:00 AM More reviews by purplepaulina

I really regret ever trying this :( I tried it for two weeks, the first week my skin looked fine but once it reached the second week , my skin broke out horribly!!! My skin has never ever been this bad EVER!!! I wish I can go back and not try this. I regret it, now I'm gonna have to wait for my face to go back to normal *sigh* What I would give to have my normal skin back....

*sobs*

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2008 3:06:00 AM More reviews by letsbedazzle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Natural products have been in the back of my mind since falling in love with Everyday Minerals products, and when a member on the forums started to document her progress with ocm, I decided to try it too. I use about a 1:1 ratio of EVOO to Castor for my skin. To begin with, my skin had a lot of room for improvement. I usually get one deep blemish on my face each month, and my forehead is just perpetually bumpy all over, as well as the right side of my jaw, to a lesser extent. My cheeks and nose are clear, but tend to get red and itchy if acne products are used. It really bothers me and is hard to get rid of. I thought that the stories of the little plugs flying out were just amazing and more than worth a shot. I was sort of disappointed the first week, nothing spectacular. I did feel the plugs, but nothing like I had imagined. The next day my skin looked a lot nicer though. I did it again about halfway through the week, and it looked even better. I'm on week three and my skin just keeps improving a bit at a time, and for the first time I really feel as though I will have mostly clear skin.

My routine goes as follows. I first cleanse with Dr. Bronner's peppermint liquid soap. I then take the castor oil and put a generous dab on my forehead, nose, and chin. I then apply enough EVOO to make it slippery and coated all over. I think it's important to let it sit for a couple of minutes before even touching it further, because I never get many plugs straight away--I like to think it's dissolving them in that dormant time. I then massage for 2-3 minutes or stop whenever my wrists get tired. I give it another resting period, and massage again for 2-3 minutes. I do the whole steaming thing, but I don't know how much that has to do with success. I think the most important thing is with ocm is to WASH IT OFF. I had a less successful--though hardly disasterous--stint with ocm because I stopped at steaming. EVOO and especially castor are both fairly stubborn in my experience, and because there's all sorts of makeup and old icky face stuff in there, it's just not something I'm comfortable leaving on overnight. So I again use a somewhat more substantial amount of Dr. Bronner's, and will repeat if I still feel some on my face. I find it tends to sting, but in the same way it does when exfoliating particularly thoroughly, so I assume that's the explanation. So I lightly pat semi-dry, and apply a drop or two of Tea Tree Oil on the damp problem areas, and off to bed I go. I generally do it twice a week--no more! I think any more than three times a week is just far too many. One wouldn't do any sort of chemical peel nightly, so don't do this either! Obviously ocm is much more gentle, but deep cleansing should be treated as such. I'm not going to say that it's going to work for everyone and if it doesn't work for you, you're doing it wrong, because hyped products haven't worked for me in the past. I do however encourage everyone to give it a shot, but please, please please please do wash it off. I think this can save at least half the horror stories.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2008 11:17:00 PM More reviews by brainlesstwit

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

After 15 years of acne and oily skin, I decide to give OCM a try since I read so many positive things about it online. I am on day 11 using a 1:1 mix of castor and jojoba oils. I do this at night and use pure olive oil soap in the morning, with straight jojoba to moisturize, and St. Ives apricot scrub 2x weekly. At first I was kind of indifferent, but at this point I can't say enough wonderful things about OCM!

I have experienced less redness, fewer breakouts, smoother skin, and more even skin tone. My acne scars from a year ago that have been red all this time? Now exactly the same color as the rest of my face. For the first time in my life, I can wear makeup all day without blotting my face a thousand times. In fact, today I didn't blot at all and my makeup looked just as good after 14 hours as it did when I applied it. I have the oiliest skin of anyone I know, and I have never been able to go without blotting.

My family, friends, and coworkers are all asking me what is different about my skin. They want to know if I've had facials or microdermabrasion. The difference really is amazing. I don't ever see myself stopping OCM because it has worked so well for me when nothing else (either OTC or prescription) has helped.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/8/2008 2:27:00 PM More reviews by Lotteh75

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I tried this a year ago and it broke me out horribly. I used 50% castor oil and 50% jojoba (both organically grown and cold pressed). The first week my skin never looked better, but then I began to break out all over my face. I went to see my derm who immediately prescribed me accutane. It took two months before my skin looked tolerable again and five months before all the red marks faded. So proceed with caution if you're intent on trying this.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/20/2008 3:17:00 PM More reviews by Evilan9el535

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Update #2: It's been perhaps 6 months now... I have given up the OCM - now I only use it to take of makeup when necessary - which is rarely, my cleanser does a pretty good job. I now use the EVOO for my skin as a moisturizer, and the Jojoba for my hair after I shampoo and condition - which has stopped the dry skin/dandruff.

Update: I had to change it to straight Jojoba - even then the oils were causing breakouts. Still caused clogged pores.

I've been using OCM for 2 months now.... At first it was amazing!! I saw results immediately - I have combination and acne prone skin - if that's possible~ I have an oily face, yet skin on every part of my body is extremely dry. - I have oily hair - but dry scalp!!

Anyways - the immediate results were: pores unclogged, my black heads were diminishing, skin was very moist afterwards - no need for any moisturizer. However, the recent unclogging of pores - seem to have caused my skin to get oiler during the day. Just an FYI.

However, after using everyday for about 1 1/2 weeks- I noticed my skin was getting very dry! And tiny pores on my chin, and forehead were getting much more visible. I was using 1/2 Castor,1/2 EVOO. So I used 1/4 EVOO,and 1/4 jojoba oil instead of 1/2 EVOO. Which was just about the same.... I stopped using it for a while - and went back to my asprin honey mask.

Took about 3 weeks for me to try it again - and this time I'm using the same castor/evoo/jojobamix - just NOT every day. I use it about once every 3 or 4 days - and in between I use QH Mint Julep Masque - or my asprin mask~

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2008 9:26:00 PM More reviews by princessgracie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

OMG!! Disgusting is all I can say. Tried this after reading about it here. My skin is oily, and even after switching to Merle's oily skin cleanse and toner with aha's, my skin is still oily. Tried the EVOO as a moisturizer, but it was too rich for this time of year. My skin magically did this switch from dry and flaky to shiny and oily within the past month. I can't use masks like the Queen Helene mint, because it causes my skin to burn. Recently tried a warming facial scrub but even the mild was too much, causing my skin to burn. I have used the Queen Helene cocoa butter mask, and that did a good job getting off flakies on my skin, but I need something to get deep down in my pores rather than just buff it to "perfection". This appeared to work the first time. I combined about 1/3 Castor oil with the rest being EVOO. I followed the directions every one else talked about- and immediately felt these granules on my face. I was grossed out, but my skin felt amazing afterwards!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/5/2008 1:25:00 PM More reviews by emilymone

My oily, acne prone skin was LOVING OCM at first. I was using the 75% evoo 25% castor oil. Within the first two days, my skin was the best it had looked ..ever! I loved how it doubled as a makeup remover. When I was massaging the oils, I could literally feel the gunk coming out of my skin. Needless to say I was sold. I had soft even acne free skin. After about 2/3 weeks, I started getting a terrible breakout on my forehead, like millions of under-the-skin bumps! I desparatley stuck with it for another week, but there was no improvement. I never break out on my cheeks and the bumps started spreading there.

So now im back to my clinique 3-step and my skin in clearing up again. I think it's not good to use OCM in the summer months. I'll probably end up going back to this in the winter, because it really is a great for the dryness I experience in the winter.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2008 1:00:00 PM More reviews by tealeafdoll

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have pretty much always used oil based products ie cold creams etc on my skin, but it was only recently that I started to use neat oils on their own.
I use safflower, which after experimentation I have found to be the best for soothing and moisturising my dry skin and yet not causing any breakouts. (I follow up with glycerin to moisturise in the day and just leave my skin bare at night)
OCM really helps breakouts to heal for me and helps prevent flakes aswell. Massaging the oil into the skin helps to losen clogs, then the hot streamy washcloth removes all the gunk.
I only use this method at night to remove m/u and have found it to be a very effective eye m/u remover, incredibly gentle for sensitive eyes and yet gets rid of even waterproof mascara.
My main advice for OCM is to use a really hot flannel to make sure all residue is removed and finish with a cool water splash to close pores. I would also recommend experimenting with different oils until you find one that works for your skin type.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2008 7:13:00 AM More reviews by chessablue

OCM is all about experimenting with oils and frequency to see what works for you. After a couple of months of use, I'm a big fan. My mix is about 25% castor oil and 75% sweet almond. I experimented with different carrier oils because EVOO left my skin feeling prickly, like I'd been in the sun all day. Sweet almond was the best for me - it leaves my skin plump and moisturized. I recommend experimenting because a lot of people who complain of bad breakouts seem to use 50% or more castor oil, which would be too much for my skin.

My skin has lots of tiny, congested pores that I thought I'd never get clean, but OCM is more effective than a facial. Plugs do come out during the massage (more came out with EVOO but it wasn't worth the dryness), but the steam really clears things out. I do extractions on the stubborn plugs from there, and can get out even deep, old plugs with very little pressure.

I only use OCM about 2x/week because it's time consuming. Also, it's too effective for me to use every day; I got a cyst when I did it more often and learned to use it less so I'd still get the benefits. For daily use, I'm using Ren cleansers, since they also use natural oils. My skin is clear, soft and moist... I'm in love.