Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

3.6

Not tested on animals

Castile Soap (Water (Aqua), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tall Oil, Potassium Hydroxide), Glycerin, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil*, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal) Root Extract, Hedychium Coronarium Root Extract (Awapuhi), Fucus Vesiculosus Extract (Bladderwrack), Cymbopogon Martini Oil (Palmarosa), Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Peel Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Oil, Callitris Intratropica Wood Oil (Blue Cypress) *Eco-HarvestĀ®

on 5/7/2005 5:11:00 AM

i have grown to love the smell of this product, which at first is a bit overpowering, especially if youre used to more minty or perfumed smells from your cleansers. this product controls my once-in-a-while zit, leaves my face really clean (i never have to use a separate eye makeup remover when i use this), and lasts forever as well. i dont always use this twice a day, as i find it to be a bit drying, but during warmer weather, it also helps to control my oily skin. definitely a great part of my skincare regimen.

on 4/19/2005 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

UPDATE: It's funny that I ever thought this soap would be too drying. I use it every day now, and my skin has been not-too-oily and (yay!) really clear. I've even gotten used to the smell. Overall, this is a great product. Don't know what I'd do without it. I upgraded my review from 3 to 4 stars.
April 19th 2005: Anything that smells this bad has to be good for you. Or, perhaps not. I love Desert Esscence Tea Tree Oil, and I cannot sing the virtues of TTO enough. However, the Desert Esscence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash is very drying. I have oily skin, and it took ALL the oil off my skin. I would not recommend this to anyone whose skin is dry or sensitive. And even for us oily girls, a good post-cleansing moisturizer is a must. Also, anyone who specifically wants to avoid soap should avoid this product, as the first ingredient is Pure Castille Soap. All cautions aside, this product really does get my face Thoroughly Clean. Tea Tree Oil is a natural anti-septic, and I really appreciate the fact that this face wash doesn't contain synthetic ingredients like sodium laureth sulfate, or fake flowery scents. I have allergies, and fake scents are a nightmare for me. My main concern with this product is that it will dry my skin out too much. I'll update this post in a month or two with results. continued >>

on 3/25/2005 11:54:00 AM

I first got this product because I had a few breakouts that I wanted to tame but this cleanser was really drying even for me and my skin is not sensitive at all. I gave it to my sister who likes it but only uses it sometimes as she tells me it is really drying as well. I think if you have oilier skin, it might be good, but overall, I didn't really like it that much and will likely not buy again.

on 2/24/2005 6:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Great cleanser. Use for face and body. Perfect

on 2/16/2005 2:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

this is just a little too strong for my sensitive skin.... i recommend that if u use this, don't use it everyday...it dries out ur skin a little too much. but it's good for a few times a week or after a workout! UPDATE 3/05: Well i tried this again and i had to move it up to 5 lippies! I love this! I think when i first used it I wasn't using a good lotion afterwards so it nixed my results... Now i have a brand new regimin that i love! 1. wash with DE thoroughly clean facial wash 2. Dry face & massage in a few drops of DE Jojoba oil until absorbed 3. apply a dab of the DE moisturizer...and voila! baby soft skin! It feels much plumper after only a couple weeks, and WAY SOFTER! Even my hubby said, "wow ur face feels so soft" which never happened to me before! Also, i noticed that just after 2 days my face is totally clear and pores much smaller. GREAT formula. In the morning I like to dilute it with a little more water...and every few days i like to add baking soda for exfoliation (thanks to an MUAer below!) D.E. is a great line! use the whole thing! nothing is more than $7 at Trader Joes.. ***EDIT: Now i have stopped using baking soda as an exfoliant because i found it really damages the skin--takes off too much (of the acid mantle layer). D.E. still works great though! Now that my skin is clear i only use it 1-2 a week.

on 2/9/2005 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I bought this for my husband, but now I use it too. It's free of parabens and other evils and works well. Since I usually wear makeup, I rub the DE jojoba oil all over my face first to break up the makeup, and then wash it off with this. In the end, a tiny bit of oil remains on my skin to keep it moist, but all the makeup is gone (the towel always comes away clean when I dry off my face). I happen to like herbal scents, so I don't mind this one. It is runny, so you just have to be careful not to squirt too much. We bought ours in a large pump bottle at Trader Joe's. It's perfect!

on 1/26/2005 1:44:00 AM

Omg i thought this natural cleanser would clear my break outs and be gentle, but no! it only made my skin irritated, dry, and covered with pimples. It is very drying despite its seemingly innocent natural ingredients. Waste of $7 and I had to use it for my feet.

on 1/12/2005 9:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

My daily HG cleanser. I have very acne-prone skin that gets red and irritated easily as well. This not only keeps acne at bay, but softens my skin incredibly well, which is a hard to find combination for many acne cleansers that tend to dry out the skin. I also use this as a body wash as I break out immensely on my back and chest, and it has helped tremendously.

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

This is my HG face wash!!! I have combo skin leaning more on the dry side, and I only get the occasional zits. I've never found anything (cleansers or spot treatments) that actually zapped my zits quickly and effectively...until I found this stuff! Before I found this stuff I was stuck b/w two poor choices: 1. face washes loaded w/ chemicals and geared towards acne prone skin (not the problem I have), 2. mild face washes that clean but don't kill the few zits that I get. This stuff is all natural, so it's not too harsh on my skin. However, the ingredients actually do zap my zits unbelieveably fast. After washing my face, w/i just a few hours I can notice that my zits are noticeably smaller, and after just a couple days my zits are nearly gone, no joke!! Plus, this wonderful face wash does not dry out my skin, which was a problem I had w/ medicated acne face washes. As for the other qualities, it's not ridiculously expensive. Just like many other reviewers, I bought the large size, which will probably last me forever. I do wish that the packaging came w/ a pump. I wound up buying a small pump bottle, which I refill when necessary. The pump bottle I bought also saves me the problem of pouring more of it than I want. I will probably stick w/ this face wash forever! ♥

on 12/1/2004 1:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I don't like this product. As a cleanser, it's very drying. My face would feel tight and itchy after using it. I tried it simply because I like the natural ingredients. Unfortunately, natural itself is not enough, formula is everything.