Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

3.6

6% Titanium dioxide 3% Zinc Oxide Inactive Ingredients: Water, cyclopentasiloxane, octldodecyl neopentanoate, butylene glycol, plyglyceryl-4 isostearate, dimethicone crosspolymer, PEG/PPG-18/18 dimethicone, dimethicone, silica, cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 dimethicone, stearic acid, aluminum hydroxide, sodium dehydroacetate, phytantriol, hexyl laurate, triethoxycaprylysilane, nylon-12, sodium chloride, kaolin, tocopherol, tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate, polyvinylalcohol crosspolymer, magnesium chloride, potassium chloride, zinc chloride, lysine, sodium hyaluronte, hexylene glycol, caprylyl glycol, phenoxyethanol. potassium sorbate, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, mica Made in USA

on 7/15/2013 1:24:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

i bought this product because i heard it was really good. i have oily skin within my t-zone and the lady at the store said it would be good. well that was a waste of money, i tried applying the foundation with many different brushes, no primer, then i used a primer i tried everything possible and the foundation dried out the parts of my skin that not oily and the parts that are it just started melting off and the foundation is so so so thick. i will not be buying this again

on 7/14/2013 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This foundation is one of my favorites. What I did like about this foundation was the color choices. I am very pale, and I'm glad that Tarte included an ivory color, which is suitable for people with pale skin and pink undertones. The color matched my face perfectly and didn't make me look like I was wearing a mask.
I also have acne-prone skin, and I found that this foundation reduced my acne and also protected my face because of the SPF.
In addition, I also have combination skin, so it's tough for me to find skin products that I love. One thing I disliked about this foundation was that it emphasized my dry patches but went nicely on the more oily parts of my skin. I recommend this product for people with oily skin.
Overall, I enjoyed this foundation and I would purchase it again.

on 7/14/2013 11:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is one of my favorite foundations. I have oily skin that is scarred from long-ago acne (with occasional break-outs still). I prefer to have a more made-up finished look to my skin. I like the coverage to this foundation because alone it has a matte powder finish. It also stays on longer than most foundations I've used! I have best results paired with either Lorac Porefection powder or Too Faced Primed and Poreless loose finishing powder. All 3 products are absolutely magical for me!

on 7/11/2013 10:10:00 AM

I LOVE this foundation. I have actually been impressed with most of Tarte's Amazonian clay products. I have been looking for a natural beauty line. The only issue I have with this is that some of the ingredients are not the best. I would prefer all organic ingredients.

However, this foundation is great for me. I have combination skin with really oily spots. This foundation covers very well and holds off oil throughout the day. I have redness and some acne spots from long ago and this covers them well. The only place I have an issue is on my nose it seems to show the pores more on the side. Maybe I need to apply it with a foundation brush instead of my fingers.

The packaging is really cute as well and I like that it is a squeeze tube because it is more sanitary.

on 7/8/2013 10:21:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This is a foundation I def can't say I love or hate. I personally think it is full coverage... Much better coverage than studio fix fluid by Mac, which I have always bought. But, it seems to get pretty oily around my face, even areas that normally aren't. T-zone is really bad. The makeup transfers easily and doesn't last 12 hrs for sure. I also think it makes me break out especially on my chin for some reason when that never happened before and it's not related to my period cycle. I like the finish but can't say I love too much more... Guess its back to Mac and Estée Lauder

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I have oily skin with some dry patches near my mouth, for reference.
I work as a lifeguard at an outdoor pool in the summer so i guess my job is a great way to test out foundations.
First of all, this thing is definitely medium to full coverage, however, it makes your face look very made up. It's not thick, but it looks a bit "frosty" like icing on cake.
This foundation also made me so oily. I had to blot after 3 hours and my blotting paper turned completely transparent (the clean and clear one). It also transfers a lot.
By the end of the day, some oily parts slipped off and some foundation was clinged on to my dry areas.
I really don't like this foundation.
But YMMV, get a sample from sephora and see how you like it.

on 7/5/2013 7:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Given the price of this and all the hype surrounding it, I expected a lot more. The first few times I wore this, I felt like it looked too "makeup-y". I think some people will like that look but I don't want it to look like I'm wearing foundation. But my biggest complaint is that I expected this to be a matte finish. It is nowhere close to being matte, nor does it control oil. In fact, I would say that it goes on dewy. Coverage would be medium-full and does seem to cover my purple acne scars rather well. I got this in "light" and find it to be quite yellowish, although it works fairly well with my coloring. My skin is oily and acne prone, and I thought that because this has clay, it would dry to a more clay-like finish and be some sort of miracle product. Unfortunately, it does not do anything special for me so I wouldn't buy it again.

One word can sum up my opinion of this product...WOW!!

Up until the discovery of this product, the search for the Perfect Foundation was like the search for the Perfect Man: frustrating, depressing, and full of disappointment and broken promises.

A little background: I am lucky enough to have hit the genetic jackpot with skin that is sensitive, acne-prone, and oily, with huge pores. And thanks to my on-again-off-again relationship with birth control pills in my early 20's, my cheeks are a minefield of pitted acne scars from past battles with hormone-related adult acne. I have tried every product that fit the above criteria (and believe me, it's slim pickins out there!), and had yet to find one that wasn't chalky or greasy, has enough coverage, lasts more than a couple of hours, and doesn't make me look like a ghost or an Oompa Loompa. I had been wearing Bare Escentuals which worked great for years, but my skin has changed and suddenly it seemed to start sinking into my pores, and I was tired of having to buy 3 different colors to blend to my skintone.

There are two criteria that must be met for me to even consider trying a brand of makeup:
1. It MUST be cruelty-free
2. It MUST be all natural (free of parabens, chemical sunscreens, etc.)

Needless to say, my selectiveness makes my search all the more difficult. So I trekked to the nearest Sephora, in search of the Holy Grail: a full-coverage, all-natural, cruelty-free foundation that doesn't settle into my large pores, lasts all day, and matches my unique skin tone. I explained to one of the makeup consultants what I was looking for, and she immdiately led me over to the Tarte display & buffed some of the Light on my jawline with a little brush. I was amazed how well it matched my skintone. In fact, the only way I could tell where it was applied was that I had a quarter-sized patch of what looked like bare skin in the middle of the foundation I was already wearing. I was sold!

I applied the Tarte to bare, clean skin &was instantly in love with the texture: somewhere between a mousse and a cream, it felt surprisingly light considering the high amount of coverage. I wore it to work the next day and received many unsolicited compliments on how "great my skin looked", so I knew I'd found the right product! I have been using this ever since (about 6 months) and my skin actually looks better even after I remove my makeup, so I know it's doing something to treat my skin as well. It also stays on pretty well in the water: I went to Miami and swam with the dolphins, and my makeup stayed on except for a ring around my eyes from the swimming mask.

Yesterday I bought the Aqualillies for Tarte Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder, which I used for the first time today. Normally by lunchtime my foundation is gone; like a Mafia traitor in the Witness Protection Program, it vanishes without a trace. Not so with the Tarte, my skin looked fresh all day with no touchups. I was amazed! These products are a winning combination of all natural AND high-performance.

I am going to California this weekend to try surfing, and can't wait to see how it performs after a whole day in the ocean & on the beach. I will update when I get back so stay tuned...

on 6/22/2013 10:59:00 PM

I love Tarte for my acne-prone, oily skin. I find their produce to have great coverage and to not inflame or irritate my skin. I wish it were a little cheaper, of course. Sometimes I mix the foundation with my favorite Clinique moisturizer to make a tinted moisturizer, depending on how bad my skin is that week.

on 6/20/2013 1:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I'm moderately conflicted about this foundation. I have this foundation in Tan. I saw some reviews online and thought - THAT foundation is for me! But I can't say I'll repurchase.

The pros:
- The finish is perfect. If you like a matte foundation, it's definitely got that going for it.
- It's a great foundation formula. The consistency is nice and creamy. It doesn't run, it doesn't separate. When you apply it, it's very controlled. It doesn't dry too quickly, so you can easily blend it out.
- It doesn't feel too thick on the skin. You might be put off originally before you blend it out. But once you begin to blend, it blends evenly and nicely.
- The packaging is nice. It has Tarte's nice wooden lid as an accent. Comes in my favorite type of packaging (a tube). Overall, it's just pretty.
- It IS long wearing - but DOES need a setting powder. It will separate on the skin after 6+ hours. I work in an office all day, and it will begin to look patchy all over, not just in oily areas. It is transfer resistant I noticed.

Cons:
- It isn't actually full coverage. When I think of full coverage, first I think of Revlon Colorstay - which covers everything within the first coat. I also think of Kat Von D's tattoo foundation, which though isnt my favorite, is a full coverage foundation. I don't have any dark discolorations or scarring, but I do have a few light freckles cheeks. This foundation doesn't cover them. It applies and feels like a full coverage foundation, but up close, isn't. It doesn't leave you flawless. I'd call it medium-buildable coverage. To some people this isn't a con, but if you pay $40 for a FULL coverage foundation, you expect to get it, ya know?
- This is a personal con for me, but I figured I'd mention it. I have tan skin, so I purchased the Tan. The deepness of the foundation matches me, but it is a bit yellow. It could be worse, I know, it could be orange. It is easily counteracted by powder and after contour, bronzer, and blush, you can no longer tell.
- It's pricey for what you get. I seem to have an issue with foundations of a higher cost. Maybe it's because there are some great drug store foundations, like Rimmel London Lasting Finish foundation (great one), and Revlon Colorstay. I just expect a lot from a high end foundation because it's often more than 3x the price. There has only been one foundation I believe is worth the price and it's MUFE HD. This one I can't say the same.

Overall, I will enjoy the remainder of this tube, but I won't repurchase. It's just too expensive and I don't think it's really worth it. I can't say 'STAY AWAY!' because it's not THAT bad. If you have $40 at your dispense and feel it's worth it, try it for yourself and maybe the pros will outweigh the cons.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Review ? Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Foundation by BeautyLoDown

This vs.That | (Review + Demo) Laura Mercier Silk Creme vs. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hr Foundation by JJ BeautyRoom