Garnier Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel-Cream

3.8

Aqua/Water, Glycerin, Alcohol Denat., Dimethicone, Isononyl Isononanoate, Carbomer, Dimethiconol, Chlorphenesin, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Vitis Vinifera Extract/Grapefruit Extract, Xanthan Gum, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Menthoxypropanediol, Magnesium Gluconate, Sodium Citrate, Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool, Calcium Gluconate, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, CI 19140/Yellow 5, CI 42090/Blue 1, Parfum/Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol. [September 2010]

on 7/16/2011 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This product made my face sting for a few minutes after I used it, and continued to cause my face to be dry. It was dry to the point of peeling all around my mouth and the tops of my cheekbones. It was really painful at times. I thought my face was just going through a bad stint of dry skin, but when I stopped using it, my face went back to normal. This product did the opposite of what it would.

on 7/11/2011 7:23:00 PM

While this product may provide enough moisture to the skin without leaving it feeling greasy, the high amount of denatured alcohol, which is said to promote free radical damage and the breakdown of collagen, irritates the skin on my cheeks. With that being said, my skin is nice and matte and the cream smells like apples. I personally don't think moisturizers should be packaged in jars, as any inclusion of antioxidants may be destroyed from their exposure to the air.

on 7/9/2011 11:28:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I use this SO much. Especially in the summer. It keeps me moisturized but doesn't get that nasty gunky feel when I sweat. In the winter I wear it over my moisturizer to keep everything locked it. Smells great too.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have very oily skin and I just like my moisturizer to be as light as water on my skin and to moisturize after cleansing. It rubs in quickly and finishes matte. I haven't noticed any ill effects during the day with makeup.

The key to this lotion is to use as little as possible. Then you shouldn't have any sticky or slimy faces. I only touch the pad of my middle finger onto the gel and this covers my big face.

Great price since I can get it on sale! Will keep buying!

on 7/6/2011 12:16:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I love the idea of a gel moisturizer and the glass container that the product comes in. However the packaging is not really anti-germ friendly. The product goes on really well yet after an hour it makes my face oily and shiny. It's better for me to use as a night cream rather than a day moisturizer because it lacks spf.

on 7/4/2011 1:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I'm cautious when it comes to buying drugstore creams as I've never been able to find one that doesn't cause issues with my skin and/or health (I'm talking about you Olay). After reading that this cream was similar to Clinique DDMG I returned my bottle of DDMG, as it was giving me blackheads like crazy, and rushed to grab a jar at my local Walgreens. I was hopeful since my oily skin really gets along well with gel based moisturizers. Upon opening the jar I noticed the lovely jade color of the cream and that it felt light and smooth. The smell though was off putting as my first thought was "cheap hairspray scent" and I wasn't too thrilled about that. When I applied this I only needed a pea size amount and that covered my whole face. Felt nice going on and looked like it was moisturizing my face well. My plan was to apply foundation over this later to see if it the two would work well together. I never got a chance to do this as after an hour I looked into the mirror to see that my skin looked like I'd rubbed a stick of butter all over it, it was so shiny! As the day went on the shininess got worse and it looked, like another poster here on MUA commented, like I'd wrapped my face in saran wrap! This cream looked like it was sitting ON my skin and never really sank in. Also the next morning I woke with little bumps all over my face and four deep acne marks on my neck that has taken a week to heal up with BHA. Awful! Before I returned this I tried blending a dab with my LM Secret Camo to use under my eyes and it worked well so that was a plus. When doing some online research I found that the second ingredient in this cream is denatured alcohol which is extremely drying to the skin and helps break down collagen over time. So in short the second ingredient in this cream, meaning that as second ingredient it makes up the majority of what the cream is made of, ages the skin. Why in the world would a company make a face cream that they advertise as helping the skin with an ingredient that ages the skin? Money I guess. If one cream ages you then they got another to sell you I bet. Also if your skin does not get along with silicones then keep far away from this cream as dimethicone is the 4th or 5th ingredient. You get what you pay for I guess and I don't need to even comment about it being in a jar. (note: I don't use my fingers to apply any creams that come in a jar. I have a small stainless steel utensil that I swab with rubbing alcohol to clean it before scooping out any jar face products.) The tag line for Garnier is "Take care." Yes, Garnier, I will take care! I will take care not to use this cream again! Thanks! ; ) EDIT 7/25/11 After the disaster of the Moisture Rescue Gel Cream I was inspired to find a good gel moisturizer my oily moody skin would agree with. I ended up finding a great gel moisturizer made by derma e called Pycnogenol Moisturizing Gel. It contains no silicones and is mostly water and aloe based and contains a pine(?) tree extract that calms red or easily irritated skin. That's been a winner for me. I'd recommend that to anyone who's skin didn't work out well the the Garnier gel cream. Not affiliated with derma e, just thought I'd pass on some helpful info. HTH

on 7/3/2011 4:47:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This moisturizer is quite light-weight so it's good for the warmer seasons. I like that it's oil-free so it absorbs easily into my skin without leaving a greasy trace or an oily film. I tend to get dry around my nose and this takes care of it. The gel texture isn't has thick as I thought it would be (think Aloe Vera Gel) and it has a clean fresh scent too.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

you know what?you put water and alcohol!!!
yes i loved it first,so fresh ,beautiful texture bu i didn't know that it has too much alcohol like all of the l'oreal owned companies.
its the same about l'oreal and vichy too,most of the products have too much alcohol and nothing interesting.I used l'oreal hydrafresh moisturizer sometime and the texure and color was good .in those time i didn't know anything about ingredients in cosmetics but remember texure or the way your skin feels isn't that much important ,you probably feel so good after eating a delicious hamburger or pizza!!:)

Love it! Use it night and day. Not to heavy at all but suprisingly moisturizing for how light it is. I have combination skin. It does not add any more oil to the oily parts but does moisturize the dry parts. I think I am on my 5th jar.

on 6/21/2011 1:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

It's really difficult to find something that doesn't break me out in the summer so I was pretty excited when I found this. The finish is a bit slimy and it creates an annoying shine throughout the day, but at least I felt safe with it--until I realized that it contained alcohol as a main ingredient. I suspected this was bad, so after that i only used it when I was real desperate. I guess that's a good thing, 'cause I recently read a disturbing review of this stuff on beautypedia.com.

It turns out that the amount of denatured alcohol in this stuff isn't just bad because it's irritating--it's actually damaging! Apparently, denatured alcohol causes free-radical damage--meaning it breaks down the collagen in your skin! Even if you don't usually care about ingredients and stuff, this is definitely worth considering. I mean free radical damage probably happens all the time, due to all sorts of other stuff (probably even just the air) but why do it on purpose? Especially with the way this stuff remains all wet and slimy throughout the day (kinda makes me wonder if it was "actively" damaging my skin the entire time it was on it!).