September 21, 2014 | 1528 users online

Highlighters - TheBalm - Mary-Lou Manizer

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2011 12:48:00 PM More reviews by LeatherStuddedKiss

I am a highlighting fiend. I am always on the lookout for the best highlight powders and creams. Let me just say that this Mary-Lou manizer is absolutely the BEST highlight I have ever used. So incredibly pigmented, and so fine in texture, it works wonders on the skin. It is a champagne-y tint so it would work much better with those who have medium skin toned. Compared to something like the Nars Albatross, it is just as good if not better, the only difference being that Albatross is a pearly highlight. Dab some MAC Pink Rebel highlight under this and it will pop SO amazingly. I recommend this to everyone. Great buy, and for only $24 dollars, it is so worth it. You get A LOT of product for what you are paying for, with amazing quality.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2011 11:09:00 PM More reviews by gorbe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this! I'm so glad I picked it up off Hautelook. It's a great quality product. The texture, pigmentation, and application of this product is great, nothing to fault it there. It's a beautiful shimmery (but very fine shimmer- not glittery at all) goldish highlight color. The kind of shimmer that looks like a glow on skin instead of straight up glitter particles. The color itself, as a highlighter, is great, but not super subtle. (At least not on my NC30 skin). It's not in any way over the top, but rather just a little more exciting/glamorous than some other highlighters I own. I think this color could work on both warm and cool skin tones- to me it looks pretty neutral.

The thing that surprised me about/what I love about this the most, though, is the fact that it can be used as an eyeshadow. I think I actually love the color on my eyelids more than on my face- it's one of my favorite eyeshadows ever. It's almost a taupey gold if that makes sense. I used it today as a wash, with a little bit off matte charcoal in the crease, a matte highlight (since this is shimmery) and a nice thick line of eyeliner. I thought it was a pretty simple, work appropriate, look. I would definitely repurchase this, though hopefully I shall never run out, as (using this mostly as an eyeshadow) this is bound to last a while, even if I use it constantly. I have no opinion about the cutsey packaging style (I know some people hate it but honestly I couldn't care less)- but I will say that the actual container is very sturdy, it's a metal one, it has a good feel to it and a sturdy top. Would definitely repurchase.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2011 4:22:00 AM More reviews by shelbyclarke

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Great highlighter! Warm, fine-milled shimmer. I use down the bridge of my nose and tops of my cheekbones. Much superior to the last highlighter I used, High Beam by Benefit. I like this one because it's powder which is better for my oily skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2011 12:25:00 AM More reviews by CG1981

Like many, i got this at TJ Maxx, it was $20 and also came with a same size bronzer. I have a few highlighters, but i dont use them that much. I have MAC luster drops (very good), some Kimora Lee Simmons one i got at Marshalls years ago and never use, some other one within a kit, and i have the physicians formula one with the strips. The Balm and MAC are my favorite. The physicians formula one isnt bad at all, i like it best during summer when i have a tan because it has strong sheen and bronze highlight color, it broke (in a zip lock now) and its a massive mess. The mac drops are liquid so it gives a more dewy look. The Balm highlighter has strong opalescent pigment and gives a nice non-disco highlight. It doesn't stay very long on my skin though, and i don't have oily skin, so i gave it a 4.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2011 1:14:00 PM More reviews by Paavaki

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I got this product from theBalm site at 40% off rate. I bought it after reading rave reviews on most of the blogs and YT. Its an awesome highlighter. The product quality is also very nice. The shimmer is very subtle and light. Gives a dewy look to the skin. There is 8.5 gms product which will last for ever. I am NC 42 for reference.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2011 3:29:00 PM More reviews by leopard666

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff is really great ! its truly a luminizer ,its not chalky and its not glittery ,its just perfect as a highlighter .
Its true that you have to use a light hand on this cause the brush picks up alot of product but if you work at it it will be well worth your 20 bucks .
Also this should compliment all skin tones .

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2011 12:38:00 AM More reviews by sam23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

this is an awesome luminizer, I just bought it today at tj maxx in a little kit, I paid just under $20 (it includes a lipgloss, nailpolish and kabuki brush) and it was WELL WORTH it. It's a gorgeous color, it's pigmented, it goes on amazingly, it doubles as eye shadow which I like cause some days I just like to swipe something natural but pretty all over my lids and go. It is also pretty much my exact skin tone so if I want I could use it to cover my undereye circles which is great cause it's so bright it'll counteract the darkness. This is my first go at non drug store, non avon/mark makeup and I'm pretty impressed. My favorite part, and the real selling point for me personally is the packaging! It's such a small cosmetic line, I feel like I wouldn't buy it/be willing to pay as much without the retro packaging. It's great though, I love it, now I'm even more set on buying the hot mama blush!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2011 1:07:00 AM More reviews by sara942

Got this at TJ Maxx for $9.99--yet another instant hit from TheBalm. Only ever used 1 other highlighter (one by Physician's Formula) and loved it. This one is even better! I dab it in the inner corners of my eyes and swipe it under the brow bones to make my eyes look well rested and my eyebrows more defined. It's got a very finely milled shimmer so that you cannot see individual flecks at all, under any lighting -- which means you can use it day or night. It literally just does what it says it will--highlights any features (brow bones, cheekbones, etc) with a luminous glow--not a sparkly mess! The product is so huge (0.3 oz) that I will likely never need another b/c a little goes a long way...and I love the sturdy hard plastic compact w/ the generously sized mirror...wish more products by thebalm came that way! Fantastic product--worth my every penny.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2011 2:47:00 PM More reviews by lalaland

I got this at TJ Maxx for $13 and I really want to go and get some backups at that price. I've been wanting this for a few years now, but I never bought it. As far as highlighter or illuminators go I've tried NARS Albatross, Everyday Minerals Champagne, Tarte Amazonian (liquid) and a few others. While I do like the above, I never felt complete as far as having the go to quick highlighter, so I was excited when I saw this. The color is perfect, not as yellow/gold as Albatross and not as pink as Champagne, or most other highlighters on the market. I use a MAC 109 to apply it and I use a light hand because I want a glow not a sheen or shimmer. It is finely milled and applies smooth. So far, this is the best highlighter and I will definitely repurchase. I heard and read good reviews about it but I was always hesitant and skeptical. I am glad it worked out for me because now I don't feel the need to keep looking. The packaging is also super cute and I really do like the brand in general.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2011 5:07:00 PM More reviews by lolsann

Lovely highlighter! It is easy to apply, the color (champagne-ish) looks great on my fair skin.
It is glittery (do-oh...), so for everyday use it is important to apply with a light hand, or else it will be a) too glittery and b) too champagne-colored, which doesn`t really look good.
I mainly use it on my cheekbones, under my eyebrows, and sometimes as an eyeshadow (it makes my eyes look larger...) or on the middle of the lips (they look a lot fuller, but the staying power is poor on lips)
On the face the staying power is great, and it looks good when I get home from school/work :-)
Btw, cute package, nice mirror, but one must be careful not to drop it! It contains loads of product, so I think it is worth the money.