April 21, 2014 | 1032 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Discontinued and Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2010 9:05:00 AM More reviews by JolieBelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used this foundation a couple of years ago, when it was still available in Sweden. revlon is no longer marketed here therefore i'm not aware of any changes that could have modified the product in time.

Price: i remember this was on the expensive side even back then, belonging to a rather higher-end category of makeup. Never understood the difference between europe and the us when it comes to prices.

Quantity and packaging : the jar is big enough, quite nicely, so it will last longer than with another foundation (like, for example, the tube ones). However, it's glass so you're not quite able to squeeze out even the last drop and you're wasting a lot of product when throwing away the bottle. It doesn't have a pump which back then was a big deal to me because i didn't have that many tools to apply the foundation with and i had to use my fingers (partly also due to my older preference to use my fingers...back then). I didn't like the lack of pump+shiny glass+sticky fingers combo.

Color: they had a pretty wide range of shades and i remember i liked that. However it was difficult to find my exact match and i ended up with something a tad darker, but a real tad, quite imperceptible when applied. What i didn't like was that ALL colors had an 'earthy' tint to them, which made the face unnaturally colored, i don't know, as if you were sick or something. The beige/yellow undertones were very strong, and i completely disliked that. However now, looking back i realize it's better to have a yellow tint to your face than a pink/red one...that's much faker and distasteful.
    the color oxidized A LOT. this was one of the reasons i didn't repurchase this back then. it just changed in the course of probably two hours to a dark earthy...almost brown? i don't even know how to describe it. it was just unnatural and made me think a lot, whether i had gotten a bottle from an expired batch or something. well now, reading all these reviews, i realize i didn't.

Consistency: very thick and tacky. At a fist glance it's similar to Estee Lauder's Double Wear, but it doesn't set as beautifully as that one does. It remains sticky, shiny, an unnatural, exceedingly greasy shine, which isn't even local so to speak, but just oozes out of the skin at the slightest and most superficial look. It looked like i had plasticine on my face. It didn't dry, ever, therefore i had to be very attentive with the blush and bronzer. I don't like to set my face with powder (i didn't like it back then, before discovering Clinique's blended powder) therefore it was a big deal for me....my face just looked wrong, completely unnatural, and it was more than obvious i was wearing a thick layer of makeup (though i was applying only a little).

And let's not forget about the scent...the smell of rancid oil and plasticine. really gross; it faded after a couple of minutes but still, it really made me think about the chemicals in it.

Coverage: i remember it covered well, but at the expense of thickness, creasing and oiliness. Not a big fan, not at all. That's something any cheap foundation can do and in Europe, as i said, Revlon is not a drugstore brand.

My skin just didn't like it. I didn't break out or anything but i could feel it staying on top of my skin, a very unpleasant feeling, especially when it comes to oily products. I didn't repurchase it back then and i don't think i'd do it now if i found it for sale. There are better foundations out there, with better performances, and with the arrival of primers, mineral foundations, etc, i think this is going to be regarded as a 'vintage', old-school product kind of thing. My take. I don't recommend it if you want a natural (or just normal) looking complexion without too much shine.

Happy shopping!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/9/2010 12:56:00 AM More reviews by PeachCake

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've worn this foundation for about 1-2 weeks, and I've gotten the same results over and over. It dried my skin out and I even got the Normal/Dry foundation. In fact the skin around my eyes are all dried out from this foundation, so now it feels and looks wrinkly and uncomfortable. I'm under 20 by the way! I used a damp sponge and a regular sponge to apply it (wouldn't even dare to try a foundation brush because the consistency was too thick). It was hard to blend, even whilst using a damp sponge. After applying and setting it with a light dusting of powder, it looked chalky and it looked like I was wearing A LOT of make up! Don't get me wrong, I always use full coverage foundations, but this one was just too much for me.

Compared to Rimmel's Lasting Finish I will definitely never repurchase Revlon's Colorstay Foundation.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2010 7:56:00 PM More reviews by xoxjulie21xox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I find this foundation a little to thick, I like a foundation that is a little more runny like my Mac F&b or my GA luminous silk. I think it is a really nice foundation if you are looking for full coverage, its just not for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2010 2:46:00 PM More reviews by c2yoshi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wanted to try this foundation out for a wedding I was attending because I heard it's a good dupe for MAC Studio Fix Fluid. I ended up buying the Combo/Oily formula (after swapping it about 3 times to get a decent color match). Here's the long & short of it:

Pros
    + Medium to Full coverage
    + Stays on all day (make sure you have a good makeup remover!)
    + Did not break me out

Cons
    - Would prefer a higher SPF
    - Not enough shades w/yellow undertones (Buff is a bit too light for my skin but Sand Beige is a little dark & too pink)
    - Felt a little heavy on my face
    - Did not control oil well

It does tend to dry fast, so you need to work quickly. Due to lack of color choices for my skin tone, I most likely won't be buying again. If they carried more Asian-friendly shades, I'd probably go back to it. But it is a great product and if you find a matching shade, it's performs well at a price that's practically a steal.

EDIT: I was looking to possibly try Colorstay again, but I noticed that one of the ingredients listed for the foundation is retinyl palmitate, which is currently being looked at due to the possibility of it accelerating cancer in lab rats. While I'm not 100% convinced, I try to avoid it when I can unless there is conclusive evidence saying otherwise. So if you're like me, you might want to stay away from this foundation in the meanwhile. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2010 11:32:00 AM More reviews by shmanderrsssx3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

this foundation is amazing!!!! i have it in buff for combo/oily skin and it is perfect!!!! the foundation covers flawlessly and doesnt break me out. the foundation is nicely priced if you buy it at walmart other places it almost 13$ instead on 9$. it blends easily unless you put too much foundation on one area at the time then you see the brush strokes but can easily be fixed by rubbing it with your fingers.it also has an spf of 6 which is still nice that it actually does have sunscreen. the only bad thing it it doesnt have a pump so it gets anoying to have to keep pouring it out.overall i really like it so much.
    p.s. the brush i use for this is essence of beauty blender brush which is good but i might try something different in the future

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2010 3:14:00 AM More reviews by stickbugs

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Love love love love. (Was) my HG. (See edit below)
    Great foundation. I love the colour selection - I'm asian, MAC NC15/20 and I got this in Buff and Sand Beige, both in Combination/Oily, and it's perfect.

Amazing variable coverage. It's actually not that heavy if you apply it lightly with a normal foundation brush, while stippling with a brush like MAC 187 gives you a full coverage while still not being cakey.
    I actually don't mind the glass bottle. I just press the opening against the back of my hand and flip it upside for a second, and flip back and I have the perfect amount of foundation in a little circle on the back of my hand. I don't mind the smell either.

With all of my previous foundations (Clinique Clarifying Makeup and Clarins Truly Matte), I seemed to get shiny within 2 hours of applying foundation and powder in the morning, and I needed to powder every 2 hours throughout the day. However, with Revlon Colorstay, I can powder way less - once every 5 hours or so. It controls oil really well - I still do get oily, but instead off looking shiny and greasy, my skin looks natural and glowy at the end the day. The foundation absorbs and disperses oil very well. It stays on for a really long time. At the end of a long day, my skin still looks beautiful.

It hasn't broken me out at all, which is great.

One downside is that it does look white-ish in flash photos, but in person or in non-flash photography, it looks flawless.

EDIT: Took one lippie off. My HG is now MAC Pro Longwear in NC20, because it's a lot more natural of a finish for everyday wear, plus the colour matches a lot better than Revlon Colorstay.
    I didn't realize how pink Revlon Colorstay was on me until quite later on. It doesn't match my super-yellow Asian skin very well. If the yellow shades were yellower, that would be amazing.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/5/2010 2:10:00 PM More reviews by girl2000

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Didn't like this very hard to blend dried to quickly and looked cakey in some areas. A pump dispenser would've been better as I ended up pouring out too much but the product does stay on throughout the whole day.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2010 1:41:00 PM More reviews by dieselgal26

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ladies, please know you MUST MUST MUST use a wet sponge to apply Revlon Colorstay Foundation!! If you apply with your fingers or a dry sponge it will look cakey and too heavy.

My color is 410 Cappuccino Combination/ Oily Skin

You may want to try the Combo/ Oily skin colors even if this is not your skin type-- the colors are much warmer and richer than the normal/ dry tones.

At first I tried the darkest shade and it was way too dark. I am not the best person at picking shades-- so sometimes it is trial and error.

I first learned about Colorstay on Youtube and heard the tip about applying with a wet sponge. It works! I've used this product for 1 year.

This is great foundation with long lasting all day coverage. I love MAC and they simply are the best for the $30 price range for colored girls (in my opinion) but when I don't want to spend $30 on Studio Tech I use this (B1G1 sale from CVS you can get 2 for around $14).

There is no pump but who cares-- pour a little at a time on your wet sponge and apply. Or some people pour a little on saran wrap and dip the wet sponge in and then apply.

I never have to reapply foundation in the day, only reapply powder.

Colorstay sets fast so you have to blend in a reasonable amount of time. I use MAC Skinfnish in Deep Dark over this and I love it. People at work ask me what I wear all the time and I don't have the best skin.. breakout prone and adult acne.. not good. However I make it work and I look good :-)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/5/2010 2:16:00 AM More reviews by Annagraham

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This got a lot of hype, so I wanted to give it a try. It cost me about $10 at the nearby CVS. After using this, I admit I was extremely disappointed. The coverage was a little too mask-like and cakey for me, and although I didn't break out, my face felt trapped under facepaint. As for the effectiveness, the color DID stay (colorstay, I guess), and I can see why some people swear by it. If you don't like heavy coverage, or you aren't sure about what shade you should get (my problem), I would skip this.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/4/2010 9:54:00 PM More reviews by andali

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i didnīt like this foundation it was soooo hard to blend ! I really hated that it does not have a pump wasted too much product.