July 31, 2014 | 994 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 3 of 5 on 7/12/2010 2:54:00 PM More reviews by angpig13

I saw and read a lot of reviews for this foundation so I finally caved in and bought it in May. I like the fact that it has SPF in it, which my favorite foundation doesn't, so it's perfect for summer. I don't however love this. I wear it and it gives nice coverage, but not what I was expecting. I do like that the product has many colors to choose from as well as formulas for different skin types.
    There are better foundations to be found at the drugstore.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2010 1:06:00 AM More reviews by CorrieVO

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Loved how this product wears on the skin, especially for very oily skin - it stays on the full day and does not slide off. Coverage is wonderful, no complaints there either (it's a buildable medium coverage that definitely hides acne scarring).

The only reason I won't be repurchasing is that I have very fair, yellow-undertoned skin (around MAC NC20/25) and the suggested dupe of Revlon's 100 Buff was still too beige for me - I would say this color seemed closer to NW25. Otherwise I'd definitely own it again!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2010 11:17:00 AM More reviews by Janina5309

I really like this product. It blends perfectly with my skin (although it's a bit on the red side). It also didn't accentuate my wrinkles and be all cakey like the rimmel lasting finish did. You can layer this product if you don't let it completely dry when applying another layer (which will cause it to rub off). It has a bit less than medium coverage. I noticed that it was difficult to blend blushes and powders over top of this, because when I applied the powders they were staying where they were, which means they wouldn't rub off...which is what I LOVED about this product. Both my blush and my eye makeup (I had applied this foundation underneath), stayed where it was and didn't blend together much, which always happens with the lowlights and highlights I do on my lids. This foundation was very long lasting, longer lasting than the rimmel lasting finish. I didn't like the packaging, I'd prefer a squeeze bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2010 4:32:00 PM More reviews by Jenalicious12

I LOVE THIS PRODUCT...I use it everyday. Its a full coverage foundation, you HAVE to use a stippling brush to apply to get the best resluts (and I have used all the ways to apply this one). I do find it has a smell but for some odd reason it reminds me of colone (I like it)...it dries kinda fast so you have to work fast (meaning working on one section of your face at a time) and DONT USE TO MUCH. I wouldnt recomend this foundation for beginners because you have to know how to use it and how to blend it, to get the full effect....BUT it works great!! and I have repurchased it already....I ONLY WISH IT HAD A PUMP =[

rated 1 of 5 on 7/9/2010 3:43:00 PM More reviews by megan1309

I saw such great reviews for this foundation that I basically ran out of my house to get it! I used it once, thought I was in love, so I spent 10 bucks on another bottle. Well sadly I used this a few more times and it was a bust. I hate it now. People say its not cakey, but it is! I thought it wasn't either til I put my face right up to the mirror and noticed it... All over my face! Plus its soooo thick. And you have to use alot of it. I like using my Sonia Kashuk sponge to apply foundation.. But I could barely get it on half of my face before it was all absorbed on my hand, so I used twice as much! I tried applying it alot of different ways so I could like it again.. but that just did not happen.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/9/2010 2:23:00 PM More reviews by 15btlsintheshwr

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

This stuff really does stay. I had it on for a dinner event (back before I discovered MoM for oil control), and saw no oil for about 2 hours, a huge first for me.

Haven't used it since though, unless there was an extra special event, just because it's SO heavy, I'm afraid I'll break out. Also, it would be nice if it came in a squeeze bottle...I tend to get too much when using it as is.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2010 9:05:00 AM More reviews by JolieBelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used this foundation a couple of years ago, when it was still available in Sweden. revlon is no longer marketed here therefore i'm not aware of any changes that could have modified the product in time.

Price: i remember this was on the expensive side even back then, belonging to a rather higher-end category of makeup. Never understood the difference between europe and the us when it comes to prices.

Quantity and packaging : the jar is big enough, quite nicely, so it will last longer than with another foundation (like, for example, the tube ones). However, it's glass so you're not quite able to squeeze out even the last drop and you're wasting a lot of product when throwing away the bottle. It doesn't have a pump which back then was a big deal to me because i didn't have that many tools to apply the foundation with and i had to use my fingers (partly also due to my older preference to use my fingers...back then). I didn't like the lack of pump+shiny glass+sticky fingers combo.

Color: they had a pretty wide range of shades and i remember i liked that. However it was difficult to find my exact match and i ended up with something a tad darker, but a real tad, quite imperceptible when applied. What i didn't like was that ALL colors had an 'earthy' tint to them, which made the face unnaturally colored, i don't know, as if you were sick or something. The beige/yellow undertones were very strong, and i completely disliked that. However now, looking back i realize it's better to have a yellow tint to your face than a pink/red one...that's much faker and distasteful.
    the color oxidized A LOT. this was one of the reasons i didn't repurchase this back then. it just changed in the course of probably two hours to a dark earthy...almost brown? i don't even know how to describe it. it was just unnatural and made me think a lot, whether i had gotten a bottle from an expired batch or something. well now, reading all these reviews, i realize i didn't.

Consistency: very thick and tacky. At a fist glance it's similar to Estee Lauder's Double Wear, but it doesn't set as beautifully as that one does. It remains sticky, shiny, an unnatural, exceedingly greasy shine, which isn't even local so to speak, but just oozes out of the skin at the slightest and most superficial look. It looked like i had plasticine on my face. It didn't dry, ever, therefore i had to be very attentive with the blush and bronzer. I don't like to set my face with powder (i didn't like it back then, before discovering Clinique's blended powder) therefore it was a big deal for me....my face just looked wrong, completely unnatural, and it was more than obvious i was wearing a thick layer of makeup (though i was applying only a little).

And let's not forget about the scent...the smell of rancid oil and plasticine. really gross; it faded after a couple of minutes but still, it really made me think about the chemicals in it.

Coverage: i remember it covered well, but at the expense of thickness, creasing and oiliness. Not a big fan, not at all. That's something any cheap foundation can do and in Europe, as i said, Revlon is not a drugstore brand.

My skin just didn't like it. I didn't break out or anything but i could feel it staying on top of my skin, a very unpleasant feeling, especially when it comes to oily products. I didn't repurchase it back then and i don't think i'd do it now if i found it for sale. There are better foundations out there, with better performances, and with the arrival of primers, mineral foundations, etc, i think this is going to be regarded as a 'vintage', old-school product kind of thing. My take. I don't recommend it if you want a natural (or just normal) looking complexion without too much shine.

Happy shopping!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/9/2010 12:56:00 AM More reviews by PeachCake

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've worn this foundation for about 1-2 weeks, and I've gotten the same results over and over. It dried my skin out and I even got the Normal/Dry foundation. In fact the skin around my eyes are all dried out from this foundation, so now it feels and looks wrinkly and uncomfortable. I'm under 20 by the way! I used a damp sponge and a regular sponge to apply it (wouldn't even dare to try a foundation brush because the consistency was too thick). It was hard to blend, even whilst using a damp sponge. After applying and setting it with a light dusting of powder, it looked chalky and it looked like I was wearing A LOT of make up! Don't get me wrong, I always use full coverage foundations, but this one was just too much for me.

Compared to Rimmel's Lasting Finish I will definitely never repurchase Revlon's Colorstay Foundation.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2010 7:56:00 PM More reviews by xoxjulie21xox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I find this foundation a little to thick, I like a foundation that is a little more runny like my Mac F&b or my GA luminous silk. I think it is a really nice foundation if you are looking for full coverage, its just not for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2010 2:46:00 PM More reviews by c2yoshi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wanted to try this foundation out for a wedding I was attending because I heard it's a good dupe for MAC Studio Fix Fluid. I ended up buying the Combo/Oily formula (after swapping it about 3 times to get a decent color match). Here's the long & short of it:

Pros
    + Medium to Full coverage
    + Stays on all day (make sure you have a good makeup remover!)
    + Did not break me out

Cons
    - Would prefer a higher SPF
    - Not enough shades w/yellow undertones (Buff is a bit too light for my skin but Sand Beige is a little dark & too pink)
    - Felt a little heavy on my face
    - Did not control oil well

It does tend to dry fast, so you need to work quickly. Due to lack of color choices for my skin tone, I most likely won't be buying again. If they carried more Asian-friendly shades, I'd probably go back to it. But it is a great product and if you find a matching shade, it's performs well at a price that's practically a steal.

EDIT: I was looking to possibly try Colorstay again, but I noticed that one of the ingredients listed for the foundation is retinyl palmitate, which is currently being looked at due to the possibility of it accelerating cancer in lab rats. While I'm not 100% convinced, I try to avoid it when I can unless there is conclusive evidence saying otherwise. So if you're like me, you might want to stay away from this foundation in the meanwhile. continued >>