December 19, 2014 | 1342 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

REFORMULATED. Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=153868/ColorStay-Makeup-%2824-hour-formula---2012/2013%29/Revlon/Liquid

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2010 4:18:00 PM More reviews by daisychainsNhopscotch

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

i am suprizingly in love with this foundation!
i was slightly apprehensive to try this after previously using MAC's face & body; a very sheer, light coverage foundation...but after all the hype, i was just so tempted + i am glad to say i love it!
i dont have mayjor blemishes or under-eye circles or problem areas, so i use just half a pea size amount, yet dont have to use concealer!
PRO'S :
-feels light + silky on the skin
-looks like skin, never cakey or dry looking ( but, considering i dont use a huge amount )
- gives me a natural healthy glow to the skin
-spf 15
-great colour range + with choice of normal/dry + normal/oily formulation
-easy to bend ( although some do have problems with this )
-lasts for an amazing time
-30 mil E / 1 fluid Oz
-Brill price, yet slightly pricey for drugstore
-i strangely like the smell... i must say it dosent smell all that attractive from the tube, but on the skin= NICE;)
CON'S :
-no pump:(
-requires a bit of work to truely remove the product

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2010 4:13:00 PM More reviews by bleuciel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my HG. I have been using this product for over a year now and couldn't be happier with it. After trying a number of mass-market foundations, like Avon, L'Oreal, Maybelline and Radiant, I finally found something that it does what it says on the bottle: it stays on! Even when I'm working out it's still staying on, because I pat the towel to my face to wipe off perspiration and the towel comes off clean! It fades a bit towards the end of the day, but that's only natural. And your makeup doesn't look nasty or ruined, just not as fresh.
It comes in a variety of shades, which is a great thing, because I always had trouble finding a foundation that was fair enough and without giving me a yellowish look in certain lightning. I use Ivory for normal/dry skin and it is absolutely perfect for my fair with pink undertones skin. My skin is combination, but I found that the normal/dry formula works better than the combo formula in the sense that it does not dry out my cheeks and other dry-prone spots. I can always apply some pressed powder on my T-zone if I see any oiliness.
First I apply a very small amount on the back of my hand and from there apply it to my face with my fingers. The foundation blends very well, but you have to work quickly and on separate parts of the face: dot and blend the nose and surrounding area, then the cheeks, then the chin and then the forehead. Blend each part carefully and do not move to another part until your current part is not well blended. Don't apply too much either, because it can look cakey. Rather build it slowly, and if you need more coverage, you can apply it afterwards. The coverage is medium - it can cover certain reddish parts, but not completely. It does not cover up acne. Another great thing is that it didn't make me break-out. I haven't noticed any smell whatsoever, don't know what the other ladies are talking about. Also, most people think I'm NOT wearing foundation. So, if you use the right shade and blend it carefully, the foundation is almost invisible.
Use an oil-based makeup remover to take it off. Soap and water or usual cleansing lotions aren't enough. Extra-virgin olive oil works like a charm as well. Just rinse your face after using it.

Pros:
- lasts a very LONG time, even in humid conditions
- good coverage (for skin with minor and medium imperfections)
- blends well
- SPF 15
- doesn't cause break-outs
- covers red spots, minor scars, under eye circles (but not acne though)
- the bottle lasts a very long time (I use it daily and it lasts me 4-5 months)
- suitable as an eye primer

Cons:
- a bit on the expensive side
- the packaging - it really needs a pump!
- can give at times a heavier look, depending on the amount of foundation you're applying.

But overall a very good foundation which I highly recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/19/2010 1:46:00 AM More reviews by XJUL35

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This foundation is tricky. If you don't apply it the right way, if you get the wrong finish, if you use the wrong colour, then you're doomed. However, with the right technique, formula, and shade, this stuff is a potentional HG product.

First of all, there are 2 types - oily/combo and dry/normal. This is simple enough, I use oily/combo in the summer and dry/normal in the winter. If you are super dry, do NOT use this. Don't think about it, don't even look at it. Unless you want to showcase your flakies to the world, that is.

Secondly, the technique. Colorstay is notorious for caking up on your face. I used to use the popular stippling method, but even with that, sometimes it looked like I was wearing a mask. My personal way to get a good strong coverage without cakiness is by using a damp sponge. I soak it all the way through, then squeeze out all the excess water. This way, the foundation is slightly thinned out and doesn't dry as quickly. I brush onto my face 2 very thin layers, going outwards from my nose, and then I take some more product on the other side of the sponge and stipple over problem areas. I find that this gives a natural, dewy look. Of course, if you go centimetres close to your face it will still look like you're wearing makeup, but I have yet to find a liquid foundation that looks like real skin.

Lastly, and perhaps the most important, is colour. Unfortunately, most foundations don't have a neat numbering system like MAC. Normally you would have to figure out the undertones of each shade with trial and error, but thanks to the fantastic Temptalia, you can check her foundation matrix to find your perfect shade. This is the link: http://www.temptalia.com/foundation-matrix. I am on the lighter side of NC25, NC meaning "not cool", and I use Nude. In the summer time, I mix it with a bit of Medium Beige. Both are warm yellow undertoned shades, versus cool pink undertoned.

I like this foundation for special events and parties, because the coverage is fantastic and it lasts the WHOLE day, and well into the night. It is completely transfer resistant as well, with no funky smells. It controls oilies up to a point, I find that I still have to blot after 3 hours or so. I don't really like wearing this for everyday uses, because to get a perfect finish, I have to apply it a certain way which is pretty time consuming. Also, it is a bit tought to remove so invest in a good makeup remover. Other than that, I have no gripes about this foundation.

I do wish they would make a pump for this, though. Oh well! This is one of the best drugstore foundations out there, and for its price, a great catch. If you haven't tried this foundation, do so immediately. It's a great addition to your collection.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/19/2010 1:10:00 AM More reviews by myanimalhome

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

overall, i have nothing bad to say about the quality of this foundation. the consistency was nice, it didn't break me out, and it definitely lasted all day. my downfall was the color selection. i'm just too pale for even their lightest shade. it was really a bummer.

but in general, as long as you're not albino status like myself, this is an excellent foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2010 10:18:00 PM More reviews by paintsmeblue

I love this foundation! I have it in the shade Sand Beige for combo/oily skin because I am asian and I have yellow undertones and it matches nicely. I apply the foundation with a wet sponge so it doesn't look cakey and looks natural and very nice. I've never tried applying it with my hands or foundation brush but I think if I did I might get a heavier coverage. Some people don't like how it comes in a bottle with no pump but I don't mind it because I just put the sponge over the top and flip it upside down and get a little bit of foundation on it.
The very first time I used it, it had a smell to it that wouldn't go away even when I had it applied on my face but every time after that, I could never smell it. I recommend this foundation but the only problem is that it is a lot more expensive than other drugstore foundations. I bought this at Walmart for $17 CAD, which is probably the cheapest I could get it for in Canada. Everywhere else I checked would sell it for $20. So the price is definitely a major drawback but this product is worth it!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/18/2010 5:06:00 AM More reviews by Mary4MU

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pretty good foundation overall, but doesn't provide "full coverage" like some MAC foundations do. This would be more of a summer foundation for me since I won't need as much coverage as I do in the fall/winter months.
It's a nice light consistency and has a great range of shades. This is definitely my go to foundation, after my MAC of course.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/18/2010 1:21:00 AM More reviews by rbalogun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The color match for this was really good...i found it to match my skin exactly which is REALLY hard to find cuz i have super red tones under my skin despite being darker skinned(NW47). so i gave it three lippies for that..but i hated the packaging..it was hard to get product out and i switched it to a bottle with a pump but i lost a lot of product...and it shifted to places unknown and unwanted on my face!!! Fail!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2010 12:14:00 AM More reviews by bigb00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

No matter how many other products I buy - I always go back to this. It beats all the "cheap" drugstore products out of the water. It beats all the higher end Drugstore products too! And is compairable to many HE foundations too. And really if you get something so similar... for half the price- Why pay more for the expensive one? Thats why I rated this a 5 for price, Yea it's pretty expensive for drugstore.. But it should be in a department store - and there it would be cheap. I've converted many friends and coworkers to this product, as I can't say enough about it. I have bad skin tone, blemishes, darkcircles & spots... So I need a makeup to make a clean fresh slate. This stuff is magic for me. BUT if your looking for a light fluffy foundation to give you a glow - this is not it!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2010 5:27:00 PM More reviews by shannand88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Fantastic foundation with great staying power. It does what is says it will do. Great for summer. If you are looking for a studio fix replacement for less than half the price, this is the product you're looking for. The coverage is great, I mix it with maybelline superstay concealer, then puff some light powder on my face to make it dry faster and voila! I'm good to go all day. The smell doesn't bother me, I actually find it kind of pleasant. It's sort of a white musk-ish fragrance. I did not have any problems finding my shade. I am nc-15 and the revlon's ivory is practically identical. I have no packaging complaints, just put your finger on top of the bottle before you tip and you won't spill anything. Plus it's thick enough to where it won't pour out extremely fast unless you force it. Having said that, a little goes a long way, and you don't need to pile tons of liquid on your face to get great coverage. I have very fair skin, undereye circles, so I like my heavy coverage. If paired with a transluscent powder, your face will be flawless, and caking isn't a problem. This is a definite must-have.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/17/2010 3:07:00 PM More reviews by LAgirl333

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Really great foundation, perfect for all seasons and weather and looks beautiful on the skin.

I have this in Golden Beige, which is a slight match to my olive skin, but maybe a tiny bit darker, so I wish the color range for this foundation was not limited.

Pros
-stays matte all DAY!! NO TOUCHUPS NEEDED WHICH IS AMAZING!!

-Wonderful coverage (medium to full) which is perfect for covering all the blemishes,redness, etc

-very easy to blend, little goes a long way, so one bottle of foundation lasts for a very long time

Cons
-I dislike the weird smell it has when you put it on your face