September 20, 2014 | 985 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 on 7/19/2010 1:46:00 AM More reviews by XJUL35

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This foundation is tricky. If you don't apply it the right way, if you get the wrong finish, if you use the wrong colour, then you're doomed. However, with the right technique, formula, and shade, this stuff is a potentional HG product.

First of all, there are 2 types - oily/combo and dry/normal. This is simple enough, I use oily/combo in the summer and dry/normal in the winter. If you are super dry, do NOT use this. Don't think about it, don't even look at it. Unless you want to showcase your flakies to the world, that is.

Secondly, the technique. Colorstay is notorious for caking up on your face. I used to use the popular stippling method, but even with that, sometimes it looked like I was wearing a mask. My personal way to get a good strong coverage without cakiness is by using a damp sponge. I soak it all the way through, then squeeze out all the excess water. This way, the foundation is slightly thinned out and doesn't dry as quickly. I brush onto my face 2 very thin layers, going outwards from my nose, and then I take some more product on the other side of the sponge and stipple over problem areas. I find that this gives a natural, dewy look. Of course, if you go centimetres close to your face it will still look like you're wearing makeup, but I have yet to find a liquid foundation that looks like real skin.

Lastly, and perhaps the most important, is colour. Unfortunately, most foundations don't have a neat numbering system like MAC. Normally you would have to figure out the undertones of each shade with trial and error, but thanks to the fantastic Temptalia, you can check her foundation matrix to find your perfect shade. This is the link: http://www.temptalia.com/foundation-matrix. I am on the lighter side of NC25, NC meaning "not cool", and I use Nude. In the summer time, I mix it with a bit of Medium Beige. Both are warm yellow undertoned shades, versus cool pink undertoned.

I like this foundation for special events and parties, because the coverage is fantastic and it lasts the WHOLE day, and well into the night. It is completely transfer resistant as well, with no funky smells. It controls oilies up to a point, I find that I still have to blot after 3 hours or so. I don't really like wearing this for everyday uses, because to get a perfect finish, I have to apply it a certain way which is pretty time consuming. Also, it is a bit tought to remove so invest in a good makeup remover. Other than that, I have no gripes about this foundation.

I do wish they would make a pump for this, though. Oh well! This is one of the best drugstore foundations out there, and for its price, a great catch. If you haven't tried this foundation, do so immediately. It's a great addition to your collection.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/19/2010 1:10:00 AM More reviews by myanimalhome

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

overall, i have nothing bad to say about the quality of this foundation. the consistency was nice, it didn't break me out, and it definitely lasted all day. my downfall was the color selection. i'm just too pale for even their lightest shade. it was really a bummer.

but in general, as long as you're not albino status like myself, this is an excellent foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2010 10:18:00 PM More reviews by paintsmeblue

I love this foundation! I have it in the shade Sand Beige for combo/oily skin because I am asian and I have yellow undertones and it matches nicely. I apply the foundation with a wet sponge so it doesn't look cakey and looks natural and very nice. I've never tried applying it with my hands or foundation brush but I think if I did I might get a heavier coverage. Some people don't like how it comes in a bottle with no pump but I don't mind it because I just put the sponge over the top and flip it upside down and get a little bit of foundation on it.
    The very first time I used it, it had a smell to it that wouldn't go away even when I had it applied on my face but every time after that, I could never smell it. I recommend this foundation but the only problem is that it is a lot more expensive than other drugstore foundations. I bought this at Walmart for $17 CAD, which is probably the cheapest I could get it for in Canada. Everywhere else I checked would sell it for $20. So the price is definitely a major drawback but this product is worth it!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/18/2010 5:06:00 AM More reviews by Mary4MU

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pretty good foundation overall, but doesn't provide "full coverage" like some MAC foundations do. This would be more of a summer foundation for me since I won't need as much coverage as I do in the fall/winter months.
    It's a nice light consistency and has a great range of shades. This is definitely my go to foundation, after my MAC of course.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/18/2010 1:21:00 AM More reviews by rbalogun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The color match for this was really good...i found it to match my skin exactly which is REALLY hard to find cuz i have super red tones under my skin despite being darker skinned(NW47). so i gave it three lippies for that..but i hated the packaging..it was hard to get product out and i switched it to a bottle with a pump but i lost a lot of product...and it shifted to places unknown and unwanted on my face!!! Fail!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2010 12:14:00 AM More reviews by bigb00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

No matter how many other products I buy - I always go back to this. It beats all the "cheap" drugstore products out of the water. It beats all the higher end Drugstore products too! And is compairable to many HE foundations too. And really if you get something so similar... for half the price- Why pay more for the expensive one? Thats why I rated this a 5 for price, Yea it's pretty expensive for drugstore.. But it should be in a department store - and there it would be cheap. I've converted many friends and coworkers to this product, as I can't say enough about it. I have bad skin tone, blemishes, darkcircles & spots... So I need a makeup to make a clean fresh slate. This stuff is magic for me. BUT if your looking for a light fluffy foundation to give you a glow - this is not it!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2010 5:27:00 PM More reviews by shannand88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Fantastic foundation with great staying power. It does what is says it will do. Great for summer. If you are looking for a studio fix replacement for less than half the price, this is the product you're looking for. The coverage is great, I mix it with maybelline superstay concealer, then puff some light powder on my face to make it dry faster and voila! I'm good to go all day. The smell doesn't bother me, I actually find it kind of pleasant. It's sort of a white musk-ish fragrance. I did not have any problems finding my shade. I am nc-15 and the revlon's ivory is practically identical. I have no packaging complaints, just put your finger on top of the bottle before you tip and you won't spill anything. Plus it's thick enough to where it won't pour out extremely fast unless you force it. Having said that, a little goes a long way, and you don't need to pile tons of liquid on your face to get great coverage. I have very fair skin, undereye circles, so I like my heavy coverage. If paired with a transluscent powder, your face will be flawless, and caking isn't a problem. This is a definite must-have.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/17/2010 3:07:00 PM More reviews by LAgirl333

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Really great foundation, perfect for all seasons and weather and looks beautiful on the skin.

I have this in Golden Beige, which is a slight match to my olive skin, but maybe a tiny bit darker, so I wish the color range for this foundation was not limited.

Pros
    -stays matte all DAY!! NO TOUCHUPS NEEDED WHICH IS AMAZING!!

-Wonderful coverage (medium to full) which is perfect for covering all the blemishes,redness, etc

-very easy to blend, little goes a long way, so one bottle of foundation lasts for a very long time

Cons
    -I dislike the weird smell it has when you put it on your face

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2010 12:34:00 AM More reviews by shahada

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really do love this foundation. It gives me medium to full coverage and does last all day for me. I first tried this foundation on my winter skin and couldn't find a match even though I loved the look/feel of it, so I tried it again as soon as I had darkened up from the summer sun and now it's absolute love!!

I apply with my fingers (pour fdnt on my fingers, warm it up by rubbing between my fingers, then rub/pat on moisturized and primed skin). I use the L'oreal Studio Secrets primer with it and find that I remain close to poreless after a smooth application :) I love the finish it gives - for me, on my oily skin, I feel as though I get the absolute perfect, dewy look. I never need to blot my face/reapply powder throughout the day, which is awesome (the other 2 fdnts I like and use require that - EL DW and NARS SG). I remove by double cleansing: Dermalogica Pre-Cleanse coupled with PMS.

For me however, the most important aspect of fdnt is its coverage of my rosy cheeks. It's a fine line between masking the red completely and covering w/ fdnt only to have splotchiness. I feel as though CS does this job perfectly - I can still see some rosiness come through, but it's even. To me, I feel as though CS is MFBB, and that is a great feeling!

I will repurchase and I'm crossing my fingers I will be able to find a successful winter match . . . otherwise it's moisturizing with Jergens Glow year round LOL.

Pros:
    - can find at Walmart/drugstores/etc (big plus in my podunk town)
    - easy finger application
    - doesn't sink into my pores
    - can sheer out or increase coverage as needed
    - no concealer needed
    - sheers/minimizes my natural facial redness

Cons:
    - I reallllly dislike the packaging
    - I wish it was a little cheaper, but not a deterrent for repurchase
    - limited color range, I find the range to be a little on the cool side

I will revisit this review in a few weeks/months to update, but as of now, this fdnt is HG for me :)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/17/2010 12:13:00 AM More reviews by Makeupismyaddiction

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I remember using this a few years ago when I was in high school, It always gave a great coverage but i became interested in HE brands. Im so glad I decided to give it another try. Its amazing. It reminds me of my Estee Lauder foundation because it dries fast and it lasts so long! I actually think this foundation did better at eliminating my redness compared to the EL DW. Im NC35-NC37 in MAC and I got the Golden Beige. Perfect match :) Will buy again!