Revlon ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

3.8

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (7.3%) Inactive Ingredients: Aqua/Water (Water), Cyclomethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Boron Nitride, Dimethicone, SD Alcohol 40B, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Nylon 12, Tribehenin, Isododecane, Polyisobutene, Sodium Chloride, Cetyl PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Bisabolol, Serica (Silk Powder), Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Malva Sylvestris Flower Extract (Mallow), Lilium Candidum Bulb Extract (Lily), Lactobacillus/Eridictyon Californicum Ferment Extract, Cymbidium Grandiflorum Flower Extract, Alumina, Polydimethylsiloxane/Polymethysilesquioxane Copolymer, Ethylene Brassylate, Methicone, Trisiloxane, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain (+/-): Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499)

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Okay, I am surprised that this product has moved me to contribute a review. The shade match -caramel 400, combo oily- is not "excellent" but works almost-very well for summer and the coverage is good. Most importantly, however, is that this product "gets the job done" without streaking, melting away, or changing color on me. I can hit the right level of sheer vs. opacity *and* this foundation goes the distance on days when I know I have reason to leave a/c for the great 100-degree outdoors, sweat included. In other words, I would reach for this as the best choice if I were scheduled to run a marathon. In all seriousness, this product must work for me on some "real" level because I keep using it. I would buy this again, partly because I like the idea that I have a rescue if I'm traveling and have to make do with whatever I can get my hands on over the next three hours. The other part to my recommendation is that I lasts very well (especially if set with MUFE HD powder. And that's the end of the story...).
UPDATE: (2012) This foundation has stayed w me thru cold rainy days, hot rainy days, and intense sun across 6 countries this summer. Still like MUFE and PhotoReady, but this ColorStay wears and travels phenomenally well.
This has become my every-day foundation. I mix caramel with golden caramel (not a complicated process; if I'm in a hurry, I just dot some of each in area and use fingers to blend). This stuff takes a lickin' but keeps on tickin'. Am increasing rank on packaging because, after a year of travel, I am more forgiving about a screw-top. Pumps are better for hygiene but less forgiving to my toiletry bag. The beauty world sorely needs a delivery system that serves hygiene and travel needs - is anyone working on this?
Am tempted to drop overall rank for one and a half reasons. The deeper shades, including those that match my skin, do not have *any* spf at all - WHAT is up with that? The half-reason is this: when it comes to cotton blouses/shirts, this stuff is indelible. I got specks on my cotton broadcloth shirts. Immediately I applied TideToGo instant spot remover (works on water-based foundation), rinsed in cold/hot, laundered, the whole thing. This stuff DOES NOT come out. I count this as a half-reason mainly because I'm just sad about my blouses and realize that one can hardly condemn a foundation named COLORSTAY for its effect on fabrics while applauding the foundation named COLORSTAY for lasting all day. I just need to be more careful, but want to pass on the warning anyway.

on 8/2/2010 11:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I too read several reviews on this foundation before I purchased it. I have to say I was somewhat disappointed in this product. It is a little hard to apply because it dries rather quickly, and if you don't get the right shade it tends to look cakey/orange. It does provide full coverage, and the price is good. It leaves a matte finish, and will easily stay on all day.
As for the packaging, it's just "ok", I would prefer a pump of some kind.
Overall, this is a decent foundation, and it may even be great if I knew how to apply it better.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I think this could be a little heavy for some people, but it gives really good coverage and I found I didn't need alot of product. I also found that it blends really well with the Avon Foundation Brush (not my favorite brush, but its the only one I had on holiday with me at the time).

It's still not my favorite foundation, but if you were looking for a long lasting foundation that gives good coverage, I think this one's great.

I went and bought this when I saw the good reviews on MUA. Initially I was not that impressed and I guess I felt like it was too cakey, but the next time I tried it I used a regular ol
setting powder and wow! It looked smooth and lasted all day. It definitely is full coverage and may not be for ppl who do not like the make-up look. I still use a concealer for those blemishes that are really red, but it completely covers minor flaws and helps cover my freckles too! There are a ton of color choices, so finding a skin match isn't a problem. I agree that pump feature would be nice and the price isn't bad. I always use a revlon coupon to make it an even better price. Overall I would definitely repurchase this because I am now in love with it!

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I have never bought liquid foundation before though I have went to sephora and mac and they tried some on me, I actually never bought some because one they are too expensive and two I always was a mineral makeup person. I have VERY OILY skin so I got revlon colorstay in 400 caramel for normal to oily skin. First off it was a perfect match! And all I can say is that I love this foundation. It goes on smoothly under my loreal magic perfecting base! It really gives me a natural finish and is very buildable. I also have acne so it does cover all my discoloration! I love it and just wish like every other person and their mamas if it had a pump! The price is also amazing!

on 8/1/2010 9:34:00 PM

I've used this as a foundation on my entire face for full coverage when I am going out at night. I feel that it's way too heavy especially for summer. Therefore, I just use this as something to conceal scars and acne that is hard to cover up. I use a patting motion with a foundation brush from essence of beauty and it literally takes 10 seconds. After that, I use MAC's mineralized skin finish natural on my whole face and it looks just as good. I find that this method doesn't make me oily. I have worn this for about 8 hours or even more, and it still looks really good! I definitely have no complaints. One lippie off because it's a full coverage heavy duty foundation if used on the whole face and I don't like the packaging.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is for the Oily/Combo formulation.

Initially, I did not like this foundation. I picked it up in the color Ivory. Although the color was the correct level of pigmentation, the undertone looked terrible. I am fair skinned (NC 20ish) and can appear quite pink especially because I'm acne prone, but the Ivory color had wayyyy too much of a salmony-pink undertone in it. It made my skin color look unnaturally peach colored, like the Crayola skin tone colored crayons. I finally got around to returning it and picked up Buff instead. This shade has about the same level of pigmentation (maybe a tiny bit more) but the undertone is much more beige-y and neutral, which seems to work much better for my skin. The Oily-Combo formulation does seem a bit darker than the Normal-Dry, so when I use that one I mix about 1/3 of Sand Beige with 2/3 of Buff to get the right shade.

After finally getting the correct color, I found myself having difficultly applying correctly, but I knew to expect this based on other reviews. After a couple of tries, I figured out how to apply correctly. I use a cosmetic sponge that has been dampened with water and then rung out. I pour a little foundation onto some foil and work quickly in small sections at a time. Short sweeping and stippling motions seem to work best. I also find that my concealer looks the most natural and is the most effective when applied OVER the foundation rather than underneath.

The end result is lovely. It is hard to find a foundation of this caliber at an affordable price. Now that I have the correct color and have learned to apply this foundation, I find myself reaching for it on a regular basis. It lasts all day and controls oil. It covers all of my acne scars while never looking cakey or accentuating dry patches of skin. It leaves a natural finish that is neither dewy nor matte, which I love. I also like that this foundation seems to help my blush and eye makeup last longer. This is HG for me but I'd still like it if it were a bit easier to apply, if it had a pump bottle, and if it controlled oil a tiny bit better, but I'll still keep repurchasing!!

EDIT: These days I use the Normal-Dry version. It is quite different but not that I use a retinol product my skin is too sensitive to handle all of the alcohol in the Oily-Combo formulation. Now that my skin is less oily and more wrinkled from aging a few years (I'm nearly 26 now) I need just a tad bit moisture. The Normal-Dry is still a superb product, although it can look a little powdery at times. It's very soothing and I'd definitely recommend it for sensitive skin if you want a heavy coverage and a long wearing foundation.

on 8/1/2010 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I read rav reviews on this product and thought I'd give it a try. I was really skeptical about buying a liquid foundation since I have been using mineral makeup the majority of the time since I got into makeup but I really like this product. It has medium to heavy coverage, so it's best not to wear if you don't want people to know you are wearing makeup. I have extremely oily acne-prone skin so I was looking for something that would help with oil control while not breaking me out. This product stayed on my face all day, I repeat ALL day. This is the first ever foundation that I have tried that does it. I exfoliate my skin after I wear this because it's extremely hard to get off. This breaks out my skin so badly though, so I only use it on a PRN basis. If you have sensitive skin, I wouldn't recommend this. AND The makeup is somewhat difficult to apply, which is why I gave it 3 lips. Even with a wedge or sponge it seems to dry too quickly - so I just use my hands and wash them off when I'm finished. Also, you have to be really careful with the color selection. I use early tan and it fits my skin alright, but I know if I got any darker it would make my skin look very sickly. Don't be afraid to try this while you're at the store because I think it looks so much darker in the bottle and on your hand than it does on your face.

on 8/1/2010 1:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I keep coming back to this foundation as a good staple on days that I need heavier coverage. It can look too heavy and mask-like unless I apply it with a damp sponge, which gives a more natural look. Although it has a pretty good color selection, I find it difficult to find a shade that's yellow enough for my complexion, the closest is Golden Beige, so that's what I'm using now, sometimes mixing with Buff for when I'm more pale. I also like how it comes with the options of Combo/Oily which I use in the summer, and Normal/Dry, which I use in the winter. And the SPF is a plus.

on 8/1/2010 12:38:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I use the spf 15 foundation version and it provides good coverage. I took a lippie off because the bottle does not have a pump.