July 29, 2014 | 1840 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2010 11:39:00 PM More reviews by rogsweetie03

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am soooooo incredibly happy that I gave this foundation a chance. I have been mildly obsessed about finding a new foundation to replace my HG Shu Uemura Face Architect foundation after I learned that they are pulling out of the US forever come August. I have tried smashbox with extremely disappointing results, so I came onto MUA to look for foundation recommendations. Colorstay is a popular choice and my preferences seem to be on par with the general consensus for the most part. I am NC25 and Shu 764. CS in sand beige matches my skin better than both those colors. I would describe the CS undertones as soft yellow, whereas NC25 is more curry yellow and shu 764 is a soft yellow with the slightest hint of olive. CS does not feel heavy on my skin at all. It doesn't even cling to dry patches on my skin. As much as I loved shu, it did cling onto some dry patches (scaling from Retin A). CS does only minimally. The only thing I dislike is the scent (too perfumey). I can also see how this may be cakey, but I use very little and apply with a soft, flat foundation brush and there is no cakiness at all. I am so happy to have found a significantly less expensive alternative to department foundations that don't work as well. Thank you MUA! :)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2010 9:06:00 PM More reviews by manderly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm surprised by this foundation! I have it in the Buff for dry skin. I'm highly impressed that I managed to find a drugstore foundation that matches my skin quite well. It also looks quite natural. I had been using MUFE prior and the color is now too light since I've tanned a little. I was also not as happy with it as I had previously thought. It stands up surprisingly well and my Cetaphil doesn't remove it so I have to bust out my Ponds cold cream, which isn't a problem at all. My skin is doing quite well and it doesn't settle into pores or fine lines. I apply either with my fingers or my beauty blender and it looks great. I can't believe I've waited so long to try out this foundation since it has consistently received glowing reviews here at MUA.

My only issue so far: IT NEEDS A PUMP!! I don't mind tipping a bottle onto my hand, but it's the perfect consistency for a pump and it would make this product perfect for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2010 4:18:00 PM More reviews by daisychainsNhopscotch

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

i am suprizingly in love with this foundation!
    i was slightly apprehensive to try this after previously using MAC's face & body; a very sheer, light coverage foundation...but after all the hype, i was just so tempted + i am glad to say i love it!
    i dont have mayjor blemishes or under-eye circles or problem areas, so i use just half a pea size amount, yet dont have to use concealer!
    PRO'S :
    -feels light + silky on the skin
    -looks like skin, never cakey or dry looking ( but, considering i dont use a huge amount )
    - gives me a natural healthy glow to the skin
    -spf 15
    -great colour range + with choice of normal/dry + normal/oily formulation
    -easy to bend ( although some do have problems with this )
    -lasts for an amazing time
    -30 mil E / 1 fluid Oz
    -Brill price, yet slightly pricey for drugstore
    -i strangely like the smell... i must say it dosent smell all that attractive from the tube, but on the skin= NICE;)
    CON'S :
    -no pump:(
    -requires a bit of work to truely remove the product

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2010 4:13:00 PM More reviews by bleuciel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my HG. I have been using this product for over a year now and couldn't be happier with it. After trying a number of mass-market foundations, like Avon, L'Oreal, Maybelline and Radiant, I finally found something that it does what it says on the bottle: it stays on! Even when I'm working out it's still staying on, because I pat the towel to my face to wipe off perspiration and the towel comes off clean! It fades a bit towards the end of the day, but that's only natural. And your makeup doesn't look nasty or ruined, just not as fresh.
    It comes in a variety of shades, which is a great thing, because I always had trouble finding a foundation that was fair enough and without giving me a yellowish look in certain lightning. I use Ivory for normal/dry skin and it is absolutely perfect for my fair with pink undertones skin. My skin is combination, but I found that the normal/dry formula works better than the combo formula in the sense that it does not dry out my cheeks and other dry-prone spots. I can always apply some pressed powder on my T-zone if I see any oiliness.
    First I apply a very small amount on the back of my hand and from there apply it to my face with my fingers. The foundation blends very well, but you have to work quickly and on separate parts of the face: dot and blend the nose and surrounding area, then the cheeks, then the chin and then the forehead. Blend each part carefully and do not move to another part until your current part is not well blended. Don't apply too much either, because it can look cakey. Rather build it slowly, and if you need more coverage, you can apply it afterwards. The coverage is medium - it can cover certain reddish parts, but not completely. It does not cover up acne. Another great thing is that it didn't make me break-out. I haven't noticed any smell whatsoever, don't know what the other ladies are talking about. Also, most people think I'm NOT wearing foundation. So, if you use the right shade and blend it carefully, the foundation is almost invisible.
    Use an oil-based makeup remover to take it off. Soap and water or usual cleansing lotions aren't enough. Extra-virgin olive oil works like a charm as well. Just rinse your face after using it.

Pros:
    - lasts a very LONG time, even in humid conditions
    - good coverage (for skin with minor and medium imperfections)
    - blends well
    - SPF 15
    - doesn't cause break-outs
    - covers red spots, minor scars, under eye circles (but not acne though)
    - the bottle lasts a very long time (I use it daily and it lasts me 4-5 months)
    - suitable as an eye primer

Cons:
    - a bit on the expensive side
    - the packaging - it really needs a pump!
    - can give at times a heavier look, depending on the amount of foundation you're applying.

But overall a very good foundation which I highly recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/19/2010 1:46:00 AM More reviews by XJUL35

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This foundation is tricky. If you don't apply it the right way, if you get the wrong finish, if you use the wrong colour, then you're doomed. However, with the right technique, formula, and shade, this stuff is a potentional HG product.

First of all, there are 2 types - oily/combo and dry/normal. This is simple enough, I use oily/combo in the summer and dry/normal in the winter. If you are super dry, do NOT use this. Don't think about it, don't even look at it. Unless you want to showcase your flakies to the world, that is.

Secondly, the technique. Colorstay is notorious for caking up on your face. I used to use the popular stippling method, but even with that, sometimes it looked like I was wearing a mask. My personal way to get a good strong coverage without cakiness is by using a damp sponge. I soak it all the way through, then squeeze out all the excess water. This way, the foundation is slightly thinned out and doesn't dry as quickly. I brush onto my face 2 very thin layers, going outwards from my nose, and then I take some more product on the other side of the sponge and stipple over problem areas. I find that this gives a natural, dewy look. Of course, if you go centimetres close to your face it will still look like you're wearing makeup, but I have yet to find a liquid foundation that looks like real skin.

Lastly, and perhaps the most important, is colour. Unfortunately, most foundations don't have a neat numbering system like MAC. Normally you would have to figure out the undertones of each shade with trial and error, but thanks to the fantastic Temptalia, you can check her foundation matrix to find your perfect shade. This is the link: http://www.temptalia.com/foundation-matrix. I am on the lighter side of NC25, NC meaning "not cool", and I use Nude. In the summer time, I mix it with a bit of Medium Beige. Both are warm yellow undertoned shades, versus cool pink undertoned.

I like this foundation for special events and parties, because the coverage is fantastic and it lasts the WHOLE day, and well into the night. It is completely transfer resistant as well, with no funky smells. It controls oilies up to a point, I find that I still have to blot after 3 hours or so. I don't really like wearing this for everyday uses, because to get a perfect finish, I have to apply it a certain way which is pretty time consuming. Also, it is a bit tought to remove so invest in a good makeup remover. Other than that, I have no gripes about this foundation.

I do wish they would make a pump for this, though. Oh well! This is one of the best drugstore foundations out there, and for its price, a great catch. If you haven't tried this foundation, do so immediately. It's a great addition to your collection.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/19/2010 1:10:00 AM More reviews by myanimalhome

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

overall, i have nothing bad to say about the quality of this foundation. the consistency was nice, it didn't break me out, and it definitely lasted all day. my downfall was the color selection. i'm just too pale for even their lightest shade. it was really a bummer.

but in general, as long as you're not albino status like myself, this is an excellent foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2010 10:18:00 PM More reviews by paintsmeblue

I love this foundation! I have it in the shade Sand Beige for combo/oily skin because I am asian and I have yellow undertones and it matches nicely. I apply the foundation with a wet sponge so it doesn't look cakey and looks natural and very nice. I've never tried applying it with my hands or foundation brush but I think if I did I might get a heavier coverage. Some people don't like how it comes in a bottle with no pump but I don't mind it because I just put the sponge over the top and flip it upside down and get a little bit of foundation on it.
    The very first time I used it, it had a smell to it that wouldn't go away even when I had it applied on my face but every time after that, I could never smell it. I recommend this foundation but the only problem is that it is a lot more expensive than other drugstore foundations. I bought this at Walmart for $17 CAD, which is probably the cheapest I could get it for in Canada. Everywhere else I checked would sell it for $20. So the price is definitely a major drawback but this product is worth it!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/18/2010 5:06:00 AM More reviews by Mary4MU

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pretty good foundation overall, but doesn't provide "full coverage" like some MAC foundations do. This would be more of a summer foundation for me since I won't need as much coverage as I do in the fall/winter months.
    It's a nice light consistency and has a great range of shades. This is definitely my go to foundation, after my MAC of course.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/18/2010 1:21:00 AM More reviews by rbalogun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The color match for this was really good...i found it to match my skin exactly which is REALLY hard to find cuz i have super red tones under my skin despite being darker skinned(NW47). so i gave it three lippies for that..but i hated the packaging..it was hard to get product out and i switched it to a bottle with a pump but i lost a lot of product...and it shifted to places unknown and unwanted on my face!!! Fail!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2010 12:14:00 AM More reviews by bigb00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

No matter how many other products I buy - I always go back to this. It beats all the "cheap" drugstore products out of the water. It beats all the higher end Drugstore products too! And is compairable to many HE foundations too. And really if you get something so similar... for half the price- Why pay more for the expensive one? Thats why I rated this a 5 for price, Yea it's pretty expensive for drugstore.. But it should be in a department store - and there it would be cheap. I've converted many friends and coworkers to this product, as I can't say enough about it. I have bad skin tone, blemishes, darkcircles & spots... So I need a makeup to make a clean fresh slate. This stuff is magic for me. BUT if your looking for a light fluffy foundation to give you a glow - this is not it!