October 20, 2014 | 901 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2010 6:22:00 PM More reviews by MissKatieKBeauty

I went and bought this when I saw the good reviews on MUA. Initially I was not that impressed and I guess I felt like it was too cakey, but the next time I tried it I used a regular ol
    setting powder and wow! It looked smooth and lasted all day. It definitely is full coverage and may not be for ppl who do not like the make-up look. I still use a concealer for those blemishes that are really red, but it completely covers minor flaws and helps cover my freckles too! There are a ton of color choices, so finding a skin match isn't a problem. I agree that pump feature would be nice and the price isn't bad. I always use a revlon coupon to make it an even better price. Overall I would definitely repurchase this because I am now in love with it!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2010 4:49:00 PM More reviews by makeupispowerzs

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have never bought liquid foundation before though I have went to sephora and mac and they tried some on me, I actually never bought some because one they are too expensive and two I always was a mineral makeup person. I have VERY OILY skin so I got revlon colorstay in 400 caramel for normal to oily skin. First off it was a perfect match! And all I can say is that I love this foundation. It goes on smoothly under my loreal magic perfecting base! It really gives me a natural finish and is very buildable. I also have acne so it does cover all my discoloration! I love it and just wish like every other person and their mamas if it had a pump! The price is also amazing!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2010 9:34:00 PM More reviews by dorqy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've used this as a foundation on my entire face for full coverage when I am going out at night. I feel that it's way too heavy especially for summer. Therefore, I just use this as something to conceal scars and acne that is hard to cover up. I use a patting motion with a foundation brush from essence of beauty and it literally takes 10 seconds. After that, I use MAC's mineralized skin finish natural on my whole face and it looks just as good. I find that this method doesn't make me oily. I have worn this for about 8 hours or even more, and it still looks really good! I definitely have no complaints. One lippie off because it's a full coverage heavy duty foundation if used on the whole face and I don't like the packaging.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2010 8:53:00 PM More reviews by monicaking77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is for the Oily/Combo formulation.

Initially, I did not like this foundation. I picked it up in the color Ivory. Although the color was the correct level of pigmentation, the undertone looked terrible. I am fair skinned (NC 20ish) and can appear quite pink especially because I'm acne prone, but the Ivory color had wayyyy too much of a salmony-pink undertone in it. It made my skin color look unnaturally peach colored, like the Crayola skin tone colored crayons. I finally got around to returning it and picked up Buff instead. This shade has about the same level of pigmentation (maybe a tiny bit more) but the undertone is much more beige-y and neutral, which seems to work much better for my skin. The Oily-Combo formulation does seem a bit darker than the Normal-Dry, so when I use that one I mix about 1/3 of Sand Beige with 2/3 of Buff to get the right shade.

After finally getting the correct color, I found myself having difficultly applying correctly, but I knew to expect this based on other reviews. After a couple of tries, I figured out how to apply correctly. I use a cosmetic sponge that has been dampened with water and then rung out. I pour a little foundation onto some foil and work quickly in small sections at a time. Short sweeping and stippling motions seem to work best. I also find that my concealer looks the most natural and is the most effective when applied OVER the foundation rather than underneath.

The end result is lovely. It is hard to find a foundation of this caliber at an affordable price. Now that I have the correct color and have learned to apply this foundation, I find myself reaching for it on a regular basis. It lasts all day and controls oil. It covers all of my acne scars while never looking cakey or accentuating dry patches of skin. It leaves a natural finish that is neither dewy nor matte, which I love. I also like that this foundation seems to help my blush and eye makeup last longer. This is HG for me but I'd still like it if it were a bit easier to apply, if it had a pump bottle, and if it controlled oil a tiny bit better, but I'll still keep repurchasing!!

EDIT: These days I use the Normal-Dry version. It is quite different but not that I use a retinol product my skin is too sensitive to handle all of the alcohol in the Oily-Combo formulation. Now that my skin is less oily and more wrinkled from aging a few years (I'm nearly 26 now) I need just a tad bit moisture. The Normal-Dry is still a superb product, although it can look a little powdery at times. It's very soothing and I'd definitely recommend it for sensitive skin if you want a heavy coverage and a long wearing foundation.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/1/2010 1:13:00 PM More reviews by courtpb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I read rav reviews on this product and thought I'd give it a try. I was really skeptical about buying a liquid foundation since I have been using mineral makeup the majority of the time since I got into makeup but I really like this product. It has medium to heavy coverage, so it's best not to wear if you don't want people to know you are wearing makeup. I have extremely oily acne-prone skin so I was looking for something that would help with oil control while not breaking me out. This product stayed on my face all day, I repeat ALL day. This is the first ever foundation that I have tried that does it. I exfoliate my skin after I wear this because it's extremely hard to get off. This breaks out my skin so badly though, so I only use it on a PRN basis. If you have sensitive skin, I wouldn't recommend this. AND The makeup is somewhat difficult to apply, which is why I gave it 3 lips. Even with a wedge or sponge it seems to dry too quickly - so I just use my hands and wash them off when I'm finished. Also, you have to be really careful with the color selection. I use early tan and it fits my skin alright, but I know if I got any darker it would make my skin look very sickly. Don't be afraid to try this while you're at the store because I think it looks so much darker in the bottle and on your hand than it does on your face.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2010 1:21:00 AM More reviews by Gaijin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I keep coming back to this foundation as a good staple on days that I need heavier coverage. It can look too heavy and mask-like unless I apply it with a damp sponge, which gives a more natural look. Although it has a pretty good color selection, I find it difficult to find a shade that's yellow enough for my complexion, the closest is Golden Beige, so that's what I'm using now, sometimes mixing with Buff for when I'm more pale. I also like how it comes with the options of Combo/Oily which I use in the summer, and Normal/Dry, which I use in the winter. And the SPF is a plus.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2010 12:38:00 AM More reviews by Marianna3939

I use the spf 15 foundation version and it provides good coverage. I took a lippie off because the bottle does not have a pump.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/31/2010 8:06:00 PM More reviews by musicalnames

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

After reading many, many good reviews of this product, I went out and purchased it for myself, since my favorite foundation has just been discontinued.

It's a decent product, but I don't really get all the rave reviews, maybe it just doesn't work with my skin type? It dries very quickly, so you have to apply super fast, and it always looks just a little cakey to me. Also, it's pretty heavily scented, and I can smell it on my face all day. That's fine if you like the smell, but I don't.

The worse thing about this product is that it is SO hard to remove. I have to use make up remover and then scrub a ton just to get it off. I didn't realize this until after the first couple of uses, I thought I had removed it all, but I hadn't, and I started to break out. Since I've figured out how to remove it, I haven't been breaking out.

I do like the coverage this provides, but I'm not sure I'll repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/31/2010 4:31:00 PM More reviews by thatgirlwho

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Really didn't like this foundation. It didn't seem to give me much coverage at all. It smells a bit funky also which puts me off. I also think it'd be far easier if it had a pump. But I'll be sticking to my MUFE HD foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2010 7:07:00 AM More reviews by sitistereo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

-Good medium to heavy coverage
    -Quite difficult to blend. Therefore, I mixed it with 5% of my moisturizer.
    -Face stays MATTE all day.
    -After a few hours of wearing, this foundation tend to oxidize a little and turns ashy and darker.
    -Funky smell.

Overall, good coverage, buildable, controls oil really good but try not to wear it for too long. Too bad the color range available in my country has only 5 shades. Ridiculous.