October 1, 2014 | 1967 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2010 10:50:00 PM More reviews by mphilip429

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

After reading so many wonderful reviews about this product, I decided to purchase it myself and I have to say I am very pleased. It is a liquid foundation yet it feels very light on the skin. The finish is beautiful, makes skin beat to perfection.
    I am an African American woman and this, in my opinion, has the best variety of shades for darker women. I've tried L'oreal true match and even the darkest shade was still too light. I am a NW 45 for reference and Cappucino is the perfect shade for me.

It does dry quickly so work fast with it but it goes on like a dream. It also smells nice and its long lasting.

However what I have noticed about this foundation is that it seems to get darker over a couple hours. Only slightly though.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2010 6:46:00 PM More reviews by lovesyndie

I switched to using this from MAC studio fix fluid (NC30) due to breaking out!! So far, Colorstay has not broken me out on my acne-prone skin! The coverage is very similar to SFF and covers all my post inflammatory acne hyper-pigmentation very well! I also find that the colour shade Golden Beige matches my skin more so than SFF (which was too yellow for me even though I am Asian). Blends very well except that it does dry more quickly so it is best to do small sections of your face to achieve a nice blend! I still use MAC pressed powder in NC30 over this foundation so give me a glow since it does have a bit of yellow undertones. Staying powder is very good, even after 12 hours of use! I took a photo at the end of the day to see if there was any shine or needed any touch ups and I was surprised to find that it looked as fresh as it did at the beginning of the day and I have oily skin!! (I used the combo/oily formula). Some CONS about this product is that in Australia, they don't have the shade Golden Beige!!! I had to order it from eBay after some extensive research of the closest shade match to NC30! This product does not come with a pump so it can get messy each time you apply, so transferring the product into a pump bottle is the best bet and you won't waste product! I hope Revlon designs a pump bottle for this awesome foundation!!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2010 3:03:00 PM More reviews by rapunzelfalls

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My Skin: NW40/Dry

This foundation is one of my HG foundations. It definitely does what its suppose to -stay. I've worn this in 90+ degree weather or when working out and sweating like a fiend and it didn't even budge. Its probably one of the fullest coverage foundations I've ever used, it can cover up almost anything without the use of concealer. It doesn't accentuate my dry skin, either, which a lot of foundation tend to do. It gives a matte finger which I love.

I apply it with my ELF Powder brush or my MAC 187. I wouldn't recommend applying it with a standard foundation brush because it can look/feel rather heavy. It applies wonderfully with your fingers, too.

I don't feel as if its difficult to remove (wash off) but that may be because I've always washed my face twice -once to remove my makeup and an other time to remove excess dirt and oils.

I've tried several foundations. Too many probably and I'm always coming back to this one. The only negative is that it doesn't come with a pump.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2010 11:58:00 PM More reviews by A9M8L

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Initially, i feel like i had more bad to say about this foundation than good.....but i think the fact that i have repurchased this 5-6 different times really says alot about it.
    First off, I'm pretty picky about foundation (mostly because I have to be with my skin type). I have pretty dry skin, and foundation tends to accentuate any dryness and make the flakes more profound (def. not attractive!). This foundation definitely wouldn't be considered 'moisturizing' but it definitely doesn't give me that horrible dry look, like alot of other ones I've tried (i'm looking at YOU L'oreal truth match!)
    Second, just about everything under the sun breaks me out (i'm still trying to find a moisturizer in existence that doesn't). Somehow, even though this stuff is pretty thick and has a million ingredients, this DOES NOT break me out! hallelujiah!
    And third, I have tons of marks/scars from acne that I really need to cover up. This foundation has med-full coverage, which is good when you have alot to cover up!
    Its been pretty difficult to try to find a foundation that manages to meet all those needs. While there are some things I dislike about this foundation (the bottle it is in SUCKS...get a clue Revlon, put it in a pump!), this really is the closest I think I will come to finding a HG. (I wish I could give this a 4.5)

Oh, and it really does last ALL day! Even a little bit TOO long lasting, but I've found the best way to remove this is to take a cotton square, get it slightly damp and put a couple drops of jojoba oil on it. Then I rub it all over my face to try to remove as much of the foundation as possible. After that I use purpose gentle cleanser with my clarisonic, and after that my skin feels completely clean!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2010 11:35:00 PM More reviews by peoplerpeople

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Okay, I am surprised that this product has moved me to contribute a review. The shade match -caramel 400, combo oily- is not "excellent" but works almost-very well for summer and the coverage is good. Most importantly, however, is that this product "gets the job done" without streaking, melting away, or changing color on me. I can hit the right level of sheer vs. opacity *and* this foundation goes the distance on days when I know I have reason to leave a/c for the great 100-degree outdoors, sweat included. In other words, I would reach for this as the best choice if I were scheduled to run a marathon. In all seriousness, this product must work for me on some "real" level because I keep using it. I would buy this again, partly because I like the idea that I have a rescue if I'm traveling and have to make do with whatever I can get my hands on over the next three hours. The other part to my recommendation is that I lasts very well (especially if set with MUFE HD powder. And that's the end of the story...).
    UPDATE: (2012) This foundation has stayed w me thru cold rainy days, hot rainy days, and intense sun across 6 countries this summer. Still like MUFE and PhotoReady, but this ColorStay wears and travels phenomenally well.
    This has become my every-day foundation. I mix caramel with golden caramel (not a complicated process; if I'm in a hurry, I just dot some of each in area and use fingers to blend). This stuff takes a lickin' but keeps on tickin'. Am increasing rank on packaging because, after a year of travel, I am more forgiving about a screw-top. Pumps are better for hygiene but less forgiving to my toiletry bag. The beauty world sorely needs a delivery system that serves hygiene and travel needs - is anyone working on this?
    Am tempted to drop overall rank for one and a half reasons. The deeper shades, including those that match my skin, do not have *any* spf at all - WHAT is up with that? The half-reason is this: when it comes to cotton blouses/shirts, this stuff is indelible. I got specks on my cotton broadcloth shirts. Immediately I applied TideToGo instant spot remover (works on water-based foundation), rinsed in cold/hot, laundered, the whole thing. This stuff DOES NOT come out. I count this as a half-reason mainly because I'm just sad about my blouses and realize that one can hardly condemn a foundation named COLORSTAY for its effect on fabrics while applauding the foundation named COLORSTAY for lasting all day. I just need to be more careful, but want to pass on the warning anyway.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/2/2010 11:05:00 PM More reviews by megnmosmom

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I too read several reviews on this foundation before I purchased it. I have to say I was somewhat disappointed in this product. It is a little hard to apply because it dries rather quickly, and if you don't get the right shade it tends to look cakey/orange. It does provide full coverage, and the price is good. It leaves a matte finish, and will easily stay on all day.
    As for the packaging, it's just "ok", I would prefer a pump of some kind.
    Overall, this is a decent foundation, and it may even be great if I knew how to apply it better.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2010 9:00:00 PM More reviews by natalielouiseee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I think this could be a little heavy for some people, but it gives really good coverage and I found I didn't need alot of product. I also found that it blends really well with the Avon Foundation Brush (not my favorite brush, but its the only one I had on holiday with me at the time).

It's still not my favorite foundation, but if you were looking for a long lasting foundation that gives good coverage, I think this one's great.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2010 6:22:00 PM More reviews by MissKatieKBeauty

I went and bought this when I saw the good reviews on MUA. Initially I was not that impressed and I guess I felt like it was too cakey, but the next time I tried it I used a regular ol
    setting powder and wow! It looked smooth and lasted all day. It definitely is full coverage and may not be for ppl who do not like the make-up look. I still use a concealer for those blemishes that are really red, but it completely covers minor flaws and helps cover my freckles too! There are a ton of color choices, so finding a skin match isn't a problem. I agree that pump feature would be nice and the price isn't bad. I always use a revlon coupon to make it an even better price. Overall I would definitely repurchase this because I am now in love with it!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2010 4:49:00 PM More reviews by makeupispowerzs

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have never bought liquid foundation before though I have went to sephora and mac and they tried some on me, I actually never bought some because one they are too expensive and two I always was a mineral makeup person. I have VERY OILY skin so I got revlon colorstay in 400 caramel for normal to oily skin. First off it was a perfect match! And all I can say is that I love this foundation. It goes on smoothly under my loreal magic perfecting base! It really gives me a natural finish and is very buildable. I also have acne so it does cover all my discoloration! I love it and just wish like every other person and their mamas if it had a pump! The price is also amazing!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2010 9:34:00 PM More reviews by dorqy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've used this as a foundation on my entire face for full coverage when I am going out at night. I feel that it's way too heavy especially for summer. Therefore, I just use this as something to conceal scars and acne that is hard to cover up. I use a patting motion with a foundation brush from essence of beauty and it literally takes 10 seconds. After that, I use MAC's mineralized skin finish natural on my whole face and it looks just as good. I find that this method doesn't make me oily. I have worn this for about 8 hours or even more, and it still looks really good! I definitely have no complaints. One lippie off because it's a full coverage heavy duty foundation if used on the whole face and I don't like the packaging.