April 17, 2014 | 1015 users online

Powders - Smashbox - Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2009 1:13:00 PM More reviews by christinesrsx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

finally, something that actually helps my skin up! I'm not too sure if its a combination of things or not, but using halo actually aided in keeping my skin silky and smooth. At first, I admit I was extremely skeptical at Ulta when the sales reps recommended that I try it but the results I received I am quite pleased with. Halo melts into your skin and it gives you a nice dewy glow.

I recommend that you use it with a moisturizer for best results, if used alone without foundation, it will make the make up stick and stay all day. I'm impressed with smashbox. It gives you a matte finish as well.

I love the packaging as well, it doesnt get all over the place and the grind out compact with a twist is perfect on the go as well.

only gripe is the price, so I gave it one less lippie

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2009 10:41:00 AM More reviews by titina206

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I Love it but I'm not in love with it.
I like the light coverege and the colour adjusts my skin tone (i bought it in fair). Now with the summer comming so fast I think I will have to buy the Medium because I've just started to get a little tanned (just by waking in the outside).
It looks very natural. If I want more coverege, I apply a liquid foundation first and then this on top and "Voila" ready!
At first I was affraid it would clog my pores or make my little wrinkles appear (the little one just arround the eyes), but it has not happend.
I also feel like my skin is not as shinny as it used to be.
The only thing that worries me is that now with the good weather, if I start to sweat... it will just fall down or desapear but I will see.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/2/2009 9:42:00 AM More reviews by SamWaddington

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

LOVE this powder!

I bought this in Fair and admit I was a bit worried it was a little dark for my ultra pale skin but in fact it's perfect.

I had to play with application techniques but its worth it, as if you get it right the finish is like your skin but better - it blends away redness and marks without leaving you looking made up. In fact if you want to look 'made up' this isn't for you. Saying that I did find coverage to be as good as any other mineral foundation I have used. What I do is sweep this over my skin (moisturised which has been allowed to sink in) with a fairly light hand then add a little more (make sure you knock the brush handle to ensure the product is up into the bristles not in a splodge on the end first!) to areas that need a little more coverage. I then use a soft flocked songe to smooth over any areas that need it (like where I have some visible pores on my nose).
I then use Laura Mercier concealer on any blemishes that are still showing then I use the powder again with a VERY light touch to set the concealer. I finish with a spritz of Avene Water to set it all. It sounds a faff but truely it takes minutes and it is SO worth the effort. This makeup doesn't melt off or go patchy when applied this way and stays put all day (I just need to blot my T Zone at lunchtime where I have a tendancy to be oily) plus it leaves my skin looking healthy and clear, not 'made up' or dry.
This is head and shoulders above any other mineral brand I have tried (and thats a lot!) once you have perfected the application. No dryness, breakouts, cakeyness or irritation; in fact my mild rosacea has almost disappeared which makes me wonder if my usual makeup was actually irritating my skin even though it caused minimal reaction compared to anything else I had tried until this.
TIP: If you find areas look too glowy the flocked sponge also knocks that back if you have over applied. Smooth with sponge then a spray of mineral water fixes it all in place.

EDIT: Ok I found this started to irritate my skin and looked rather too glowy in sunlight so I've taken a lippie or two off!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2009 5:19:00 PM More reviews by Snshn1314

I bought this a few days ago and couldn't wait to use it. I really liked it from the moment I tried it on. I work at Ulta and tried this on customers many times, mostly on women that already had beautiful skin to start with. I tested it on myself in the store as well, over foundation just as a finishing powder. It gave my face a glow without making me look like a Vegas show girl, but there is definately no coverage. I bought this strictly as a finishing powder. It does feel really good on my skin, it does actually sort of disguise the fine lines that are starting to show. I really like it, however it was extremely over priced at $56. (It was overpriced even with my employee discount) The packaging is fantastic, so much better than the jars of mineral powders that are super messy and we end up wasting product. This one lets you only shave up what you use, while the rest stays pressed in the pan below. Packaging was a very smart design, product is great quality. The only reason I give it a 4 is because I think its over priced. I think a retail price point of around $30-35 would be acceptable for a product of this quality. Chances are, that another cosmetic line will come out with another great powder before I finish this one, and I will end up trying something else new. I just didn't love it enough to pay the outrageous price again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2009 2:48:00 PM More reviews by TLAlexander

After reading the other reviews for this product, I would have been hesitant to buy this product. I had already purchased and was leaving my rating. This is a wonderful product and equally comparible to BM. I started having problems with BM becasue it sunk into every line on my face after two hours, I would age 10 years. This product does not do that! YES! It works very well with other products for the purposes of layering and does not look cakey, another demise for the over 30 crowd. I am not sure why so many others had so many problems with this product, but if you can handle BM, then its pretty much the same. I do use it as foundation alone and over other products for a more glam look. Go try it in the store if you can, considering the negative remarks. I think it is well worth it and my crows feet are getting better after two weeks!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/17/2009 1:43:00 AM More reviews by kila727

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I wanted to love this but as with other mineral foundations, I find it too "shiny" for my liking. I have oily skin so I prefer a matte finish. Although, I gave it to my mom and it works great for her. So I guess I will be repurchasing but not for myself lol. It's back to MAC studio fix powder for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2009 11:22:00 AM More reviews by victosh_ka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I like this better than Bare Minerals. A bit pricy, but definately much better. It does not accentuate every more and line like BM does. And it is not shiny. The coverage is not too much, but you can layer. Also for my blemishes, my BM works just as well: after I apply to my entire face, i put a bit of the powder on my finger and blend in my blemish. It covers it perfectly!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/9/2009 2:21:00 PM More reviews by cdesla1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this thinking I could use it as a foundation. I have light skin with some redness but no major blemishes. The coverage is nonexistant. It seems good as a finishing powder and you have to admit the packaging is cool, but it is SO not worth the price. If it were twenty bucks I might give it 4 stars as a finishing powder but this is NOT a foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2009 1:15:00 PM More reviews by vivapandora

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

So, I expected not to like this because I can't use Smashbox primer (breakout!), but I was curious to try it bcause of the hydration, goji berry and peat ingredients. I must admit that the package is cool too. But, after a few days of use I must say I like it a lot! I was worried about the color at first, there are only 4 choices, but the light works for me. I am usually a sand or medium (very yellow-light olive) but it is sheer and so it blends very well. I have gotten my skin pretty clear and usually use minerals. I don't need much coverage so I thought the skin benefit qualaties might be nice. No breakouts at all, melts into the skin after about 10-15 minutes. Very natural. I use it over my favorite primer (Alison Rafaelle acne response) and I don't look too shiny.
I think it is worth a try if you are looking for light coverage or finishing powder over a sheer foundation maybe- especially if you are starting to think about antiaging and don't like powder to sit in little lines on the skin. This powder looks really good under the eyes, unusual for powder. It is $$ but you don't use or lose much of it, we will see how long it lasts. Brush is only so-so, I use my own brush.
UPDATE: I love this powder. I've been using it for a long time now, and still love it. This is my favorite finishing/light powder.
UPDATE: still loving it, haven't found anything better. Been using it for a few years now.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/7/2009 10:19:00 PM More reviews by hunnygloss

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

okay let me just start off by saying i HATE this product. HATE!. :(
spent my 60 bucks which is an outrage bcuz :( its like this...i have normal to oily skin...sometimes dry....but holy crap i applied this with a stippling brush and like wtf? it looked dry and like cheep:( i hate it soo much:( and i cant even return it bcuz i dont have the receipt...gosh i need to get organized...but yea it was expensive...the packaging seemed cool at first but even if u used up all the powder u grinded ...it leaves the top mirror all foggy..its good to go so u wont spill...but how would u kno ur not looking like a clown when u cant even see urself in the dang mirror...so inconvinient...but what made this awfull is that is pricey...it would be ok if it was 20 bucks at THE MOST butt...its not...the product does not live up to its price...so for that, booo!