October 25, 2014 | 901 users online

Powders - Smashbox - Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2009 1:27:00 AM More reviews by tracyltrust

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm afraid I will come up with the money to purchase this again and again. It may come very close to being deserving of the price...

It came highly recommended from a friend who has what (at least appears to be) flawless skin. She said hers has lasted her close to 7 months and is still going strong, so that's encouraging if the cost is an issue.
Anyway, I've never seen quite this effect from a loose powder. This really gives a kind of soft focus finish that seriously diminishes my pores and gives light coverage of discoloration and blemishes. I use my MUFE HD underneath but I like a med to full coverage in general and the powder alone wouldn't cut it. Perhaps were I in a hurry and running some errands I could get away with just a quick dusting over my sunscreen.
I have combination skin, am in my 30's and concerned about smile lines and fine lines under my eyes. This doesn't accentuate them at all which is amazing to me for a powder, especially around my undereye area (where I usually avoid w/ any type of powder)
How does a powder give me a glowy, almost dewey appearance??? I can't figure it out, but I love it! I would say it doesn't control oil as much as I need/like, however it has been quite humid so far this summer and not a lot does...I definitely prefer a dewey look to anything ovelry matte anyway.I use blotting papers over this if needed and am able to retouch this powder once later in the day without it looking cakey. I'm delighted with this stuff. I imagine in the winter I won't need to blot, although my oilies are quite manageable.

I use my regular powder brush in the morning with this and take the travel kabuki it comes with to go. Its actually a fairly decent little brush for touch ups in my opinion.

As for improving my skin/diminishing appearance of wrinkles: it may be too soon to tell as I've been using it about 2 weeks. Either way it hasn't caused any problems/breakouts and for the effect it gives alone I love it so any additional claims it may or may not live up to matter little to me. I love the idea that it contains gold and antioxidant-type ingredients though. Makes me feel luxurious and pampered when I apply it.

For reference I am NC15-20, MUFE 117, Stila B and Fair seems right for my skintone. It is sheer enough to be forgiving though and I could see ladies fairer than myself using this shade or someone wanting a touch more color going up a shade. Sample it at Sephora.

I forgot to mention how cool the little shaver/dispenser device is! It's super cool.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2009 12:49:00 AM More reviews by singwritenow

After reading all the positive reviews on this, I had such high hopes and couldn't wait to try it. I went to the Smashbox website and was even more smitten and inspired to get it. I was hoping that Halo Glow would become my new HG foundation, but on me it looks better as a finishing powder than worn alone. Since my skin is a little dry I think I will stick with liquid foundations. This is a bit pricey to be used only as a powder, so I don't think I would repurchase this.
** Update** I know that this has gotten such great reviews and I sooo wanted to like this, but I'm taking another lippie off because I have experimented with this in every way possible and just cannot feel the love. It does nothing for my skin at all, certainly not a "halo glow", more of a "sallow glow."

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2009 2:19:00 AM More reviews by lovetobelievee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

this is my hg setting powder. for me, it doesn't have enough coverage to wear by itself, but makes my skin look absolutely flawless on top of foundation, powder, or tinted moisturizer. a little bit goes a long way, so even though it's pricey, i think it's well worth it. the packaging is a little bulky and it does annoy me a little that the mini buki brush doesn't fit inside of it, but the positives definitely outweigh the negatives.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2009 3:01:00 PM More reviews by stephani99

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Despite some confusion this is not a foundation. It is the best setting powder in the world, especiall if you are dry or over 35. I'm both and I love this stuff. I was starting to notice even more dryness, fine lines, and just a general dull or tired look to my skin prior to using this, no matter what skincare routine I used. Powder just made things worse but I still needed to set my foundation somehow. Then I discovered this. Now I use it over everything from just moisturizer and sunscreen, to setting TM or foundation, and it never lookes cakey, doesn't settle into lines and really diffuses or plumps them up (seriousy, and it is noticable immediately like they claim, esp under eyes my biggest powder trouble spot). It gives a lovely diffused glow, doesn't oxidize even in warm weather. My skin looks luminous, airbrushed and nearly flawless under any type of light, which is pretty much all I ask for. It doesn't have anything that causes breakouts for me (aka bismuth). It's not a true powder foundation, although I get some coverage and can use it solo if I wish on 'good skin' days which I have way more often now :) No it's not oil-controlling, but I don't need that and this isn't meant for that. I use Light in the summer and Fair in winter. I love the ability to shave off only how much I need so is great for travel, even if the compact is large, bulky and the brush doesn't fit inside but I'll survive. This is pure love in powder form. I don't use anything else. Thank you Smashbox! For the record, I've repurchased this twice and a little goes a LONG way if you are concerned about the price-to-use ratio. It lasts me at least 10 months to a year with almost daily use.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2009 10:23:00 AM More reviews by sharee20

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

First I love the packaging, you twist a dail to shave the pressed powder into loose. You need very little. The problem is the Fair is way to light for me. My friend said I looked liked I was dead. Too much white in it. It does give good coverage over redness, it has buildable coverage that didnt settle into lines. I didnt think the price was worth it because the powder isnt anything breakthrough special but if I can get it in a cheap kit again from QVC I will try this again in Light. edit: I been using this in Light and it's a great match for me. For reference I'm fairly light in BE and Sand Beige or Buff in Relvon. Light is not whiteish like Fair is and it's not too yellow for me like most smashbox shades. The coverage is great for a powder. 0.75 oz which is alot more than most all powders are sold in

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2009 9:54:00 PM More reviews by ilovepapiler

I love it. I am used to a lot of coverage, but as I get older less make up looks better on me.
I tried Bare Minerals and totally hated it. Liquid foundations were melting on me, and I looked fine, but made up. So, I tried Halo and felt in love. My skin looked perfect, yet you couldn't see my make up.

I apply Clinique Moisture Surge and Clinique dramatically different moisturizing gel; I let moisturizers absorb, and then I buff it with a MAC 109 and I swear the results are awesome.

It looks so goog, that my mom, my sister, my niece and my best friends bought Halo and we all love it.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/15/2009 1:01:00 PM More reviews by zepgirl6

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

if i ever hated a product with a passion this is it....first off its really friggin expensive i got mine for 60 bucks at ulta...and the way the powder makes my skin look is awful...it makes me look ashy and it seems to accentuate every little flaw its so ugly..i have it in medium and when i tryed it on at the store i didnt really notice i guess...but once i got it home and tryed using it i was like wtf is going on...i got this mainly for the summer becuz i just wanted something light i could pop on and go...and still look great. but sadly it didnt work out that way for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2009 12:24:00 PM More reviews by Kbenj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Tried sheer minerals and my skin got red, itchy and dehydrated so ultra salesperson suggested this. Light is a good match for me and not too orange. It feels amazing! Very soft and sort of hydrating. So far no breakouts. Gorgeous coverage and doesn't highlight wrinkles. Smart container. I disagree with some reviewers in that you can wear it alone. I just put it over sunblock and primer. The natural finish is the point. It doesn't hide your skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2009 9:50:00 PM More reviews by alysser

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

i love it!!! i like the finish on it-its kind of dewy and fresh and very smooth. if you prefer matte foundations you probably wont like this b/c its kinda dewy, but if not its great. if you use the kabuki brush that comes with it, it comes out really nice with better coverage than i originally expected.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2009 1:13:00 PM More reviews by christinesrsx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

finally, something that actually helps my skin up! I'm not too sure if its a combination of things or not, but using halo actually aided in keeping my skin silky and smooth. At first, I admit I was extremely skeptical at Ulta when the sales reps recommended that I try it but the results I received I am quite pleased with. Halo melts into your skin and it gives you a nice dewy glow.

I recommend that you use it with a moisturizer for best results, if used alone without foundation, it will make the make up stick and stay all day. I'm impressed with smashbox. It gives you a matte finish as well.

I love the packaging as well, it doesnt get all over the place and the grind out compact with a twist is perfect on the go as well.

only gripe is the price, so I gave it one less lippie