Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

3.7

Mica, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Isopropyl Linoleate, Synthetic Wax, Polymethyl-silsesquioxane, Water, Zinc Stearate, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Barium Sulfate, Dimethylacrylamide/Acrylic Acid/Polystyrene Ethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Ethoxydiglycol, Sodium Dehydroaceatate, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract (Goji Berry), Trisodium Edta, Peat Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-14, Dimethicone, Gold. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

on 8/7/2009 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I must say that this is one of the best powders I've ever used if not the best. I can use this as either a foundation or as a finishing powder, both ways work great! I have always had a problem with powders looking cakey on me...but this blends into my skin flawlessly.

I have found that if used alone as a foundation, I do need to reapply after about four or five hours. However, primer does help in making HALO last longer....maybe about eight hours. This is very light and with a little bit of concealer, my face looks flawless. Very nice for when I want to apply something and fly out the door....although not the best for long days.

On the other hand, I find this fantastic as a finishing powder...although very expensive. I prefer tinted moisturizer and when I need just a bit more coverage, I sweep some of this on and it looks amazing!

The shaver is one of my favorite parts. I prefer loose powder but at the same time, the mess they can make drives me crazy. This shaver is a wonderful solution that takes care of that problem!

My only problems with this product? The price (although it does last a looooong time...seven or eight months depending on usage), the brush (very bristle-y and rough and def. not 'super-sized') and finally, I'm not so sure about the claim of decrease in wrinkles around the eyes and of fine lines and wrinkles. Besides those things (some SPF would have also been great, but I suppose a girl can't have everything, right? :P ), this is a great powder that can be worn alone or as a finisher. Whew! Long review! :)

on 7/30/2009 2:41:00 PM

I really really really wanted to like this product. When I was in search of a new foundation I heard about this. I love the idea of this; shaving the pressed foundation and all the benefits of improving the skin. However, it did not match my skin color (strange b/c I always have a match in every make up line).

It comes in four shades. First, I tried Light and it was too light on me so i figured the Medium would be best. Medium was so dark on me, it was clear that I had foundation on my face, i had the unflattering 2-tone face and neck color going on- horrible!!!

on 7/25/2009 4:08:00 PM

I usually wear liquid/cream foundation, but with the humid summer weather I decided to try something different that wouldn't feel like it was melting off my face. I really like the coverage - light and fresh feeling and it blends really well. I was skeptical about the product "shaver" but it's fantastic!

on 7/24/2009 3:29:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been using mineral powder foundation for the past 3 years. I decided to try Smashbox Halo because I've heard many good things about it, especially the healthy effect it delivers to your skin. Well, I've been using it for the past 2 months and I honestly can't say that it has improved my skin. In fact, I have more breakouts and larger pores than before. This is a good product if you're looking for a sheer, natural look and you don't require alot of coverage. If you need fuller coverage, you end up having to apply 2 or 3 coats which tends to give a cakey look. The one great thing about it is the packaging. The dial-up dispenser is very smart and makes application less messy and limits product wastage.

on 7/23/2009 10:11:00 PM

Love love love! I bought this today after trying it in the store. Originally, I thought I would need it in "Light," but I ended up with "Medium" because that one has a more golden (read: yellow) undertone, which my skin needs. Even though I could do with "Light/Medium" (ie. half-step between), it blends in so beautifully that you can't tell that it is a tad too dark for me.

I love the shaver thing; I'm such a tight-wad that I can't stand wasting *any* product, and the shaver helps this! I shave off just enough for each section of my face at a time, like a sprinkling. A little goes a long way. So far, I've been applying it with my Chanel #6 powder brush, but tomorrow I'm going to try applying it with a flat-topped one instead. The brush it comes with looks pathetic. I wish the product could be $5 cheaper and come without the brush!

The makeup artist at Sephora told me to smoosh it into my skin, instead of buffing it as you do with other powders, and then to sweep it down the face.

I love this powder and will continue buying it!

Edit: I had been using a flat-topped brush to apply. However, on a whim, I applied it with a regular powder brush (Chanel #6) and got better results. This is what I'll be using from now on. :) continued >>

on 7/11/2009 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Oh goodness this is an expensive product isn't it? =P That said, it does a decent job of covering up the red on my face. I wouldn't use it for a full coverage job, but for something light-medium, it's great for an all day look. It doesn't last all day, but I haven't found any powder that will do that. I appreciate being able to shave off a little each time, so that I can really make this last. Not liking the travel brush though, too scratchy.

on 7/10/2009 9:53:00 PM

With age comes dryer skin. I'm 54 years old (young??) and I can't stand using liquid foundation thinking that because it is liquid it should be moisturizing. So I used bareMinerals Foundation for years until I saw Halo on QVC. I liked the way it looked on the models but how can you really know if it works for you unless you try it for yourself. I love it! It seems to really hydrate my skin. I don't think I would give any product a 5 because there always seems to be something better in time. But this sure comes close. My skin looks smooth, flawless, and it lasts all day long without wear. It's worth the money to look this good.

on 7/10/2009 9:36:00 PM

I would definately buy again and again. I just recently discovered makeup again. Work, kids, and home often doesn't give you time. My son is now 3 and I have some free time between work and housework. :-) I've been using BE and was ok because i wasn't willing to go back to liquid foundations. I've been using this for about a week and been using as a finishing powder. I was bold and bought the medium. It gives a nice warm glow and very dewy. A few people have commented that I have nice tan starting. I just twist once and lightly sweep over my face and I'm done for the day. It has great staying power, which BE didn't have. Yes, it a bit expensive but if it works for you, why now...being happy is priceless. And, if you're very careful on how you use it, it can last a long time. One of the poster said that her friend have been using it for over 7 months! If you break it down, that's 28 cents a day. Now, that's pretty kewl as far as I'm concern. I may have to back to Ulta and purchase the light for winter and use the medium for date nights with my hubby. i can't wait. QVC has the small size with the brush and if you check their listing for the next Smashbox time slot, you may be able to purchase the small size for less than their regular price. Thank you MUA for all the great reviews and making up my mind to finally take the plunge and purchase this wonderful stuff!

on 7/8/2009 11:58:00 PM

I bought this product when it debuted on QVC, tried it, and really didn't think it was so hot. Then a few months later, I decided to give it another try. And I really like it now. It leaves my skin very natural looking, while it also evens out the skin tone. I purchased it in Light, and since it is summer I do need to put bronzer (Nars Laguna) over it. Together, I've got my perfect foundation solution. The one drawback is that it is pricey at $59.

on 7/3/2009 12:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I wanted to use this as a foundation but it didn't work for me. The colors weren't a good match and didn't provide enough coverage. Throughout the day it would look greasy and seperate.

Top Rated Smashbox Products