Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

3.6

Mica, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Isopropyl Linoleate, Synthetic Wax, Polymethyl-silsesquioxane, Water, Zinc Stearate, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Barium Sulfate, Dimethylacrylamide/Acrylic Acid/Polystyrene Ethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Ethoxydiglycol, Sodium Dehydroaceatate, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract (Goji Berry), Trisodium Edta, Peat Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-14, Dimethicone, Gold. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

on 7/11/2009 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Oh goodness this is an expensive product isn't it? =P That said, it does a decent job of covering up the red on my face. I wouldn't use it for a full coverage job, but for something light-medium, it's great for an all day look. It doesn't last all day, but I haven't found any powder that will do that. I appreciate being able to shave off a little each time, so that I can really make this last. Not liking the travel brush though, too scratchy.

on 7/10/2009 9:53:00 PM

With age comes dryer skin. I'm 54 years old (young??) and I can't stand using liquid foundation thinking that because it is liquid it should be moisturizing. So I used bareMinerals Foundation for years until I saw Halo on QVC. I liked the way it looked on the models but how can you really know if it works for you unless you try it for yourself. I love it! It seems to really hydrate my skin. I don't think I would give any product a 5 because there always seems to be something better in time. But this sure comes close. My skin looks smooth, flawless, and it lasts all day long without wear. It's worth the money to look this good.

on 7/10/2009 9:36:00 PM

I would definately buy again and again. I just recently discovered makeup again. Work, kids, and home often doesn't give you time. My son is now 3 and I have some free time between work and housework. :-) I've been using BE and was ok because i wasn't willing to go back to liquid foundations. I've been using this for about a week and been using as a finishing powder. I was bold and bought the medium. It gives a nice warm glow and very dewy. A few people have commented that I have nice tan starting. I just twist once and lightly sweep over my face and I'm done for the day. It has great staying power, which BE didn't have. Yes, it a bit expensive but if it works for you, why now...being happy is priceless. And, if you're very careful on how you use it, it can last a long time. One of the poster said that her friend have been using it for over 7 months! If you break it down, that's 28 cents a day. Now, that's pretty kewl as far as I'm concern. I may have to back to Ulta and purchase the light for winter and use the medium for date nights with my hubby. i can't wait. QVC has the small size with the brush and if you check their listing for the next Smashbox time slot, you may be able to purchase the small size for less than their regular price. Thank you MUA for all the great reviews and making up my mind to finally take the plunge and purchase this wonderful stuff!

on 7/8/2009 11:58:00 PM

I bought this product when it debuted on QVC, tried it, and really didn't think it was so hot. Then a few months later, I decided to give it another try. And I really like it now. It leaves my skin very natural looking, while it also evens out the skin tone. I purchased it in Light, and since it is summer I do need to put bronzer (Nars Laguna) over it. Together, I've got my perfect foundation solution. The one drawback is that it is pricey at $59.

on 7/3/2009 12:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I wanted to use this as a foundation but it didn't work for me. The colors weren't a good match and didn't provide enough coverage. Throughout the day it would look greasy and seperate.

on 7/2/2009 1:27:00 AM

I'm afraid I will come up with the money to purchase this again and again. It may come very close to being deserving of the price...

It came highly recommended from a friend who has what (at least appears to be) flawless skin. She said hers has lasted her close to 7 months and is still going strong, so that's encouraging if the cost is an issue.
Anyway, I've never seen quite this effect from a loose powder. This really gives a kind of soft focus finish that seriously diminishes my pores and gives light coverage of discoloration and blemishes. I use my MUFE HD underneath but I like a med to full coverage in general and the powder alone wouldn't cut it. Perhaps were I in a hurry and running some errands I could get away with just a quick dusting over my sunscreen.
I have combination skin, am in my 30's and concerned about smile lines and fine lines under my eyes. This doesn't accentuate them at all which is amazing to me for a powder, especially around my undereye area (where I usually avoid w/ any type of powder)
How does a powder give me a glowy, almost dewey appearance??? I can't figure it out, but I love it! I would say it doesn't control oil as much as I need/like, however it has been quite humid so far this summer and not a lot does...I definitely prefer a dewey look to anything ovelry matte anyway.I use blotting papers over this if needed and am able to retouch this powder once later in the day without it looking cakey. I'm delighted with this stuff. I imagine in the winter I won't need to blot, although my oilies are quite manageable.

I use my regular powder brush in the morning with this and take the travel kabuki it comes with to go. Its actually a fairly decent little brush for touch ups in my opinion.

As for improving my skin/diminishing appearance of wrinkles: it may be too soon to tell as I've been using it about 2 weeks. Either way it hasn't caused any problems/breakouts and for the effect it gives alone I love it so any additional claims it may or may not live up to matter little to me. I love the idea that it contains gold and antioxidant-type ingredients though. Makes me feel luxurious and pampered when I apply it.

For reference I am NC15-20, MUFE 117, Stila B and Fair seems right for my skintone. It is sheer enough to be forgiving though and I could see ladies fairer than myself using this shade or someone wanting a touch more color going up a shade. Sample it at Sephora.

I forgot to mention how cool the little shaver/dispenser device is! It's super cool.

on 6/29/2009 12:49:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

After reading all the positive reviews on this, I had such high hopes and couldn't wait to try it. I went to the Smashbox website and was even more smitten and inspired to get it. I was hoping that Halo Glow would become my new HG foundation, but on me it looks better as a finishing powder than worn alone. Since my skin is a little dry I think I will stick with liquid foundations. This is a bit pricey to be used only as a powder, so I don't think I would repurchase this.
** Update** I know that this has gotten such great reviews and I sooo wanted to like this, but I'm taking another lippie off because I have experimented with this in every way possible and just cannot feel the love. It does nothing for my skin at all, certainly not a "halo glow", more of a "sallow glow."

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

this is my hg setting powder. for me, it doesn't have enough coverage to wear by itself, but makes my skin look absolutely flawless on top of foundation, powder, or tinted moisturizer. a little bit goes a long way, so even though it's pricey, i think it's well worth it. the packaging is a little bulky and it does annoy me a little that the mini buki brush doesn't fit inside of it, but the positives definitely outweigh the negatives.

on 6/23/2009 3:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Despite some confusion this is not a foundation. It is the best setting powder in the world, especiall if you are dry or over 35. I'm both and I love this stuff. I was starting to notice even more dryness, fine lines, and just a general dull or tired look to my skin prior to using this, no matter what skincare routine I used. Powder just made things worse but I still needed to set my foundation somehow. Then I discovered this. Now I use it over everything from just moisturizer and sunscreen, to setting TM or foundation, and it never lookes cakey, doesn't settle into lines and really diffuses or plumps them up (seriousy, and it is noticable immediately like they claim, esp under eyes my biggest powder trouble spot). It gives a lovely diffused glow, doesn't oxidize even in warm weather. My skin looks luminous, airbrushed and nearly flawless under any type of light, which is pretty much all I ask for. It doesn't have anything that causes breakouts for me (aka bismuth). It's not a true powder foundation, although I get some coverage and can use it solo if I wish on 'good skin' days which I have way more often now :) No it's not oil-controlling, but I don't need that and this isn't meant for that. I use Light in the summer and Fair in winter. I love the ability to shave off only how much I need so is great for travel, even if the compact is large, bulky and the brush doesn't fit inside but I'll survive. This is pure love in powder form. I don't use anything else. Thank you Smashbox! For the record, I've repurchased this twice and a little goes a LONG way if you are concerned about the price-to-use ratio. It lasts me at least 10 months to a year with almost daily use.

on 6/23/2009 10:23:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

First I love the packaging, you twist a dail to shave the pressed powder into loose. You need very little. The problem is the Fair is way to light for me. My friend said I looked liked I was dead. Too much white in it. It does give good coverage over redness, it has buildable coverage that didnt settle into lines. I didnt think the price was worth it because the powder isnt anything breakthrough special but if I can get it in a cheap kit again from QVC I will try this again in Light. edit: I been using this in Light and it's a great match for me. For reference I'm fairly light in BE and Sand Beige or Buff in Relvon. Light is not whiteish like Fair is and it's not too yellow for me like most smashbox shades. The coverage is great for a powder. 0.75 oz which is alot more than most all powders are sold in

Top Rated Smashbox Products