MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

3.8

NEW Formula August 2012: Estimted PPD: 6.2 Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 3%. Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Methyl Trimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Polyester-8, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-polyhydroxystearate, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Scutellaria Biacalensis Root Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Yeast Extract, Whey Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caffeine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Glucosamine, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, C30-38 Olefin/Isopropyl Malate/MA Copolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica ORIGINAL Formula: Estimated PPD ~ 9.1 Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide 16.10%, Octinoxate 7.50% Water\Aqua\Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caffeine, Tocopherol, Sucrose, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Cellulose Acetate, Methicone, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is the first MAC product i've brought and so far so good!
i never really got the whole primer crazy, i thought it was just another product with hardly any benefits to plaster on your face and waste money on. Although it doesn't make a huge difference (i.e it isn't going to make a crap fdtn look good) it makes your makeup look the same all day as when you first put it on! I is quite thick and you only need a reasonably small amount. For those who think it is a bit too heavy you should try putting it just in your t-zone and eyes. I think people are nit picking far too much about the packaging... it isn't hard to get the product out at all.. come on.. I find the packaging really lovely and easy! i've only had this for a week or so, i'll update soon!

on 11/2/2009 7:55:00 PM

I finally caved in and bought this product a few weeks ago. I don't wear foundation everyday, but I do at least wear a tinted moisturizer daily (also from MAC). This primer seems to work well under both, and it really helps my foundation or my tinted moisturzer and blush/bronzer stay fresh-looking all day. I love the fact that it's not a silicone-based primer... the cream consistency is just right. The spf 50 is a huge plus for my fair skin... even though I feel like to use enough of it to get it's full SPF benefits would not be cost-effective. But, my tinted moisturizer has SPF 15, and I guess with that being my minimum SPF protection, it's good enough for winter. Overall, a great product, and I would definitely buy this again!

on 10/31/2009 7:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this after buying Prep+Prime face, and thought it would good to buy this as it has the SPF included. What I didn't realise was that this is a cream, and the other P+P is a lotion, so this felt really heavy on my skin, and made my skin look and feel quite greasy. Maybe it's ok if you use a small amount, and use a small amount (or none) of moisturiser, but I also don't like how it's in a tube, and the tube is really rigid, so it's tough to squeeze it too, even though there is still 50% left. I definitely won't be getting this again, and sticking to the original prep+prime face with an spf moisturiser instead.

on 10/25/2009 5:52:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

ok, so i have try out a lot of primers, included smashbox photo finish (whats all the hype?). my skin is combination on the greasy side.
i was looking for something with high spf, cause i use acids in my skincare. and this was why i wanted to try this. and the first impression was not good. looked like a heavy cream, not a primer, i thought i would end up greasy. but no, im all matte :OOOO
my mineralpowder sits like a stone..
it has oil absorbing properties AND is oil free, never have i been so matte for hours (although it can be a bit drying during our winters)
i think mac is quite cheap compare to other "expensive" brands.
a new favorite.
thank you for mac!

on 10/24/2009 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have a combination skin, i work from 10am to 5pm, and whenever im done from work, my nose will be very shiny. I purchase this product and i apply it on my nose. it works like magic, didnt make my nose shine anymore! i think overall MAC is not that expensive compared to other department store brand! i will def repurchase it again!

on 10/24/2009 8:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

OMG!!! i am oily, acne clog n sensitive. my skin is loving this. n mac face products break me out. been over a week n no probs. so matte all day in southern calif. barely ne touch-ups. skin fells so soft too. n the spf 50 is amazing seeing how NO sunscrees were doin it 4 me n my picky skin. THKS 4 the recs.

on 10/24/2009 6:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Neutral

i will be short. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!!!!! cannot rave enough about it. matte, long lasting, high spf, though i have to use moistourizer berfore applying it as my skin is very dry. but nothing can stop repurchasing it:)))

This is a primer with very high SPF in it. This is not a weightless primer and I can feel it on my face. I would've liked it more if it is slightly lighter on the skin. It does what it's supposed to to which is to hold foundation and to give sun protection. My foundation does stay on all day with this primer (it would usually disappear in the middle of the day) but as I said before, it does not really make my face matte. I also noticed that it doesnt really give my skin that really smooth feeling (silicone).

My skin feels slightly oily to the touch with this primer on my face. Perhaps this is due to the SPF. Despite this con, I still like this very much as it holds my foundation in place. I would still need to blot oil or apply blot powder in the middle of the day though.

The packaging is continent and I do like how it does not have shimmer in it like the MAC prep and Prime. If we add shimmer to the already thick primer, it would result in disaster.

Overall a good two in one product that protects you from sun damage while holding your foundation in place. I may or may not purchase another one depending on whether I can find a SPF primer that feels light on the face.

This is the only primer that works for me. Makes my face feel soft and makes my foundation last all day. It's a little pricey but it works, and you only need a small amount.

on 10/8/2009 2:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

My skin is still extremely oily and getting more sensitive as I age. I also get the occasional cystic pimple. On top of that, the climate here is hot and humid 70% of the year. I haven't had success w/other primers or sunscreens, mainly because I can't stand the way they feel under make-up... Suffocating and, in the case of the primers, ineffective (for me). Based on reviews here, I gave Prep + Prime SPF 50 a shot and got two generous samples that I've used over the past two weeks. What a pleasant surprise! The gluey-looking white cream seems to liquify on contact and acts as a very nice canvas for concealer and Studio Fix (or other) powder foundation. I probably am not applying heavily enough to claim the full SPF benefits, but am thrilled that my oil breakthrough appears to be reduced by about 50%. My redness stays reasonably well covered all day, too. So far, no break outs or reactions. I'm actually looking forward to buying a tube this weekend.