April 16, 2014 | 1403 users online

Primer/ Corrector - MAC - Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2009 4:11:00 PM More reviews by Rholynn

I relied on smashbox's photofinish light for a while and realized it wasn't doing as good a job as I would have liked.

Based on some reviews I read here on Mac's prep/prime spf 50, I gave it a while. OMG. This glues that make up onto your face like no one's business. I wear my make up from 530am -5pm with no trouble. It doesn't fade off from sweat either. (When I go straight to the gym from work)

I use this with Mac's prep/prime transluscent powder which I'm sure helps 100%, this is officially the best primer --for now.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2009 12:50:00 AM More reviews by cla920

I used to not wear primers thinking that it's unecessary. But after getting tired of retouching make up that just disappers after a couple of hours, I have decided to go on a search for a good primer. I have used smashbox photofinish light and the face shop's green base but have not been satisfied as my face felt greasy since i still had to use sublock underneath. Then after reading about the reviews for MAC prep and prime spf 50, I got it even though it's quite expensive. But after using it for almost a month, it's definitely worth it. My make up stayed on all day and it did not break me out. I only needed to blot a couple of times as opposed to almost every hour. I have very oily, acne prone skin and this has helped not to aggravate it. My face felt less greasy because I did not have to put on sunblock since this has spf. Although I think that I have to put more of the product to get the protection. So far this is the best I have used so far. I will definitly repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2009 7:18:00 PM More reviews by ilurvemakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm one of those people who pretty much rely on foundation spf thinking it's enough. Before summer I had my skin checked out and turns out the random dark spots on my face were sun spots. I always wore sunblock on my body, but again never bothered to on my face if my foundation contained spf. To prevent my skin from popping any more sun spots I went on a search for sun protection. I have tried chemical and physical sunblocks. While some worked better than others I was annoyed at the fact that I had to add an extra step in my daily makeup routine (moisturizer, primer, foundation etc). Then I remembered the MAC Prep & Prime containing spf so I searched for primers with spf. I was going to go for the shiseido, but went with MAC instead since it's easier to return if it doesn't work out.

When I saw the tube, I was expecting it to be a lot bigger :/ I figured 1oz is the same size as my foundations and those have lasted me awhile so I should be ok for a few months. When first applied it feels almost greasy, but it blends in well. I use 2 pea size amount for my entire face and neck. It doesn't give a white mask of any sort and dries nicely. It hasn't caused me to breakout or cause any skin irritation like other sun protections have so I decided to stick with it. As a primer I wouldn't say it kept my foundation on longer, but it has kept excess oil at bay. I normally use 2-3 blotting paper no matter what foundation I use, but with this underneath I've only used 1 blot paper in an 8 hour day of wear. It doesn't feel heavy which is what won me over and doesn't accentuate dry spots.

I still wear my Kanebo SPF PA primer, but when my skin is on the drier side I use the MAC SPF primer instead. The downfall to this product is the packaging. While it's pretty with glitter on the covering, it's hard to tell how much is left on the tube. The tube is also hard so when I start running out I will have a hell of a time squeezing out what's left. For $30 I wish there was more product in an easier squeezing, see through tube.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/17/2009 6:29:00 PM More reviews by jessicayang910

This product does what it's supposed to do. My make-up stays intact throughout the day. Typically without it, my t-zone would be glaringly shiny and my make-up is faded by the end of the day. I just blot a little bit on the places that are prone to fade or get oily. I'm almost done with my bottle of Mac Prime + Prep, and realized that my skin is gradually getting worse. I get red spots or break out at the places I usually apply my primer. I would rather blot my face all day with oil blotting sheets than having my real skin get worse. Same situation with my sister, beware.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2009 2:23:00 AM More reviews by shaebrixton

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I was sceptical about spending $40CDN on this primer, since I've never used a primer before, and this was my first ever purchase from MAC. I went ahead and tried it since the return policy was reassuring. When I put it on my face, it didn't seem to make a difference, and it didn't really make my foundation blend better. However, after 4 hours, I looked in the mirror and my make-up might have even looked better then it did when I applied it! I have very oily skin, but this primer helped it look almost shine-free. After 6 hours, all I needed to do was blot around my nose and t-zone and apply a tiny bit of powder in those areas, and my skin looked perfect again! Also, the sunscreen is a good bonus. People say that since you only apply a tiny amount, you donít get the full SPF 50 protection - but thatís fine with me since Iíve never had a sunburn, I just want to protect my skin from sun damage/dryness/aging. Overall a great product.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/5/2009 3:30:00 PM More reviews by poodlegirl4

I bought this because I was going on holiday and wanted a primer with spf so that my m/u would stay on and I wouldn't have to use sun cream. I really like this primer- my make up stays on all day and I hardly ever need to touch up with blot powder, which I used to have to do twice a day. My make up stayed on in the pool as well, and I didn't get burnt needless to say :)
The only reason I didn't get 5 lippies is that I have combination skin and I think it has made my skin on my cheeks dry and flaky. It's not bad enough to stop me using it though- I'm hooked!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/4/2009 6:21:00 PM More reviews by methodigal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

NO!!! WTF???? Why change the formula? WHY!!!???

New formula is garbage. Heed my warning oilier sisters:
Do not purchase. This once awesome product no longer keeps facial oil at bay. I'm so disgusted.

And yes, other reviewers are correct. The new formula smells terrible. What an egregious error has been made. I'm actually going to write a letter to MAC. I suggest that all loyal buyers of this now awful product do the same.

YES!!! HG for me!

This product might not work for some, but it did for me. My skin is sooooooo oily. Usually my face shines like a lantern within two hours of makeup application. I'd be a wealthy woman if I could sell the sebum my face pumps out every day. Prep+Prime has brought my greasy days to an end.

At first I was afraid to use P+P because it seemed so heavy coming out of the tube. It;s pretty thick and white when applied, but you just put it on, spread it out evenly with the fingertips, and it dries invisibly. A pearl-sized amount is enough to cover the grease zone (forehead, nose, cheeks; application to the eyelids keeps shadow in place and crease free almost all day). Apply concealer and foundation as normal and VOILA, near perfect makeup all day long!

Be sure to wash off completely at night-- the product seems to act as a barrier between skin's oil and makeup, so it's pretty hardcore. It definitely creates an additional "layer" on the skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2009 12:17:00 PM More reviews by runnergirl7

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This does exactly what I hoped it would. My skin is mature and so I don't like applying powder to soak up the oil. It always makes me look older, no matter what I do. This primer spreads super easily and feels great on. I then apply the MAC tinted moisturizer over top which blends no problem over this primer. The resulting look is not matte, but dewy. And it stays that way the entire day. No need to blot and my makeup looks the same at night as it does when I put it on in the morning. This is my first experience with a primer so I can't compare but I love it. The only reason I only gave it four lippies is because the bottle is SO SMALL!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/23/2009 9:04:00 AM More reviews by stopcryingurheartout

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

My ex bought this for me when he was holidaying in Japan. I had high expectations for this product, hoping it would be some miracle primer.

It's really not worth the price for the amount of product you're getting. After applying this, my skin gets oily in 3 hours (in the dry Australian winter, mind you). It's not a very effective primer either. I prefer the original prep and prime and using Shiseido's sunblock (the blue bottle).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2009 9:26:00 AM More reviews by aychan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I got this in a sample kit after a MAC makeup class. It doesn't say that it contains SPF but I'm going to assume that it's the same product.

Honestly I'm not a big MAC person, so I never thought of getting this before. Plus it's not clear in the tube, but rather white ish, so I thought it would be nothing like the Smashbox primer.

To my surprise, although the color isn't the same, it pretty much works the same if not better. After applying this my skin is left nice and smooth.

Also, a little goes a long way. The sample tube I got is so small and yet I'm still working at it. I might actually consider getting this in full size when I'm out of primers!