Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing Gel

3.9

Ingredients: Aqua (Water,Eau),Glycerin,Propylene Glycol,PEG-8 Stearate,PPG-2 Hydroxyethyl Cocamide,Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract,Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract,Carbomer,Sodium Chloride,Parfum (Fragrance),Phenoxyethanol,Methylparaben,Propylparaben,Triethanolamine,Diazolidinyl Urea,Mica,CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide),CI 19140 (Yellow 5),CI 42090 (Blue 1),CI 15985 (Yellow 6)(4/26/2015)

on 4/12/2008 10:22:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

After using several samples of this cleanser I finally broke down and bought a bottle. The bottle came yesterday and it's HUGE! I bought the 16 oz bottle for $20 and this is going to last forever!

I love this cleanser because it's gentle, yet effective. It gets absolutely all of the make-up off without drying out my skin. It smells great, too! I finally found the right cleanser for my oily/acne prone skin. :)

on 4/9/2008 12:43:00 PM

I heard about Mario Badescu from a friend who has been using it for a while. I am a huge fan of simplistic, natural, organic products and decided to check out the website.

First of all- the free sample offer? FANTASTIC! They are very generous so I definitely encourage anyone to go to their website and fill out the little questionnaire. I received this (the enzyme cleansing gel), special cucumber lotion, collagen spf15 moisturizer, drying cream, drying mask, and hyraluronic eye cream. I was also recommended the drying lotion and buffering lotion, but they were not available in samples at the time.

Well, can I just say.. I hate to replace my HG cleanser of Cetaphil, but if anything is runner-up OR possibly taking its place.. it's this Enzyme Cleansing Gel. I am already used to non-foaming (or very slightly foaming) gentle cleansers, so the gel was very pleasant. I only use it once a day (normally at night) and wet my face, then use a small dollop of the cleansing gel for my entire face. It smells delicious- VERY fresh and clean, a bit plantlike. The smell is a bit strong but it's also very refreshing, a bit citrus-y. What's even better is it's natural from the ingredients, not added fragrance. I usually spend a good minute gently massaging it all over my face just because it feels and smells so good, like personally pampering. Then I just rinse well with warm water, and follow it with MB's special cucumber lotion on a cottonball.

Since using this product, I noticed my face is more evenly toned and any redness or irritation i've had is much calmer if not completely gone. I have had no breakouts and less cystic pimples, which, along with blackheads, are normally my biggest problem. My skin is combination with an oily t-zone and chin at times, olive toned.

In the course of my using the sample, which has been about two weeks, I find this stuff is just wonderful. It cleanses very well- even on the occasional days where I wear foundation and heavier eye make-up, like nights out. Doesn't leave my skin tight or dry feeling. Very minimal ingredients. In my opinion, very pleasant scent. My skin seems to LOVE it, all around. It hasn't caused any irritation or breakouts and my skin looks and feels better every day. I'm about to order an 8 oz. bottle right now :)

If any changes occur, I will definitely update.. But after two weeks of using this at night (followed by other MB products) my skin has never been happier!!

UPDATE: I am SO SO SO SO SO sad to have to update this. But I guess my skin didn't love it as much as I do :( It MAY just be hormonal- because my skin has been freaking out lately due to who knows what- but I went back to breaking out really badly and actually ended up returning this item. I know I will try it again down the road, but for now it's back to good ol' Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. On the plus side, Mario Badescu is GREAT with refunds. I had the item for well over the guarantee refund date and they were still very compliable in a full return.

on 3/24/2008 10:39:00 PM

This is one of the best cleansers out there! I'm a huge fan of the Mario Badescu products. I have super sensitive skin...so a lot of new products I try ( regardless of the line ) cause break outs and rashes. This cleanser does a great job removing makeup and buildup. My skin feels super clean afterwards. I always follow up with a toner and there is never any leftover residue found on the cotton ball. This cleanser really does the job! I also love the smell. It's very light and refreshing.

on 2/20/2008 1:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I really like this cleanser. I only used it for about 2 days and already started to notice a dramatic improvement in the overall clarity, tone, redness, and size of "flare" on existing acne as they slowly then shrunk. I am used to swearing by Jurlique and Dr Hauschka so when this worked I was really impressed. The cucumber's a bit cloying for my taste but it's gone once you rinse.

on 2/15/2008 8:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I was really excited to try this product so i headed over to the mall immediately to get samples. During my first week of using it, it lessened my pimples a bit. However, as I entered the 2nd week, my face actually started breaking out. I had HUGE pimples that I have never had! The worse thing is, I gave it another shot a few months after, after my pimples disappeared 'cause I thought it could have been caused by other factors. Wrong decision. The results were the same, if not worse. As a result, I had to go to the dermatologist and spend $500 to get my face clear again. This product is just too overrated. I was very disappointed.

on 1/2/2008 4:54:00 AM

i love (almost) everything about this product. great packing, fresh botanical smell, and it feels like heaven on the skin. i find it's great for times when my skin is already in a happy mood. it keeps it there. however if my skin is in break-out mode, it doesn't give me the clean i need. it leaves a bit of an oily film, which is the only thing i don't like about it.

on 1/1/2008 7:27:00 PM

I started using this product when I ran out of my regular face wash for sensitive skin. I spoke to the consultant and let her know of my skin issues (sensitivity, combination and slight congestion) and she recommended this one for me. After three months, I'm still in love. I usually steer clear of gel cleansers because of the tight, dry feeling they can leave you with, but this one just leaves your skin feeling smooth and soft. Since using it, I have noticed my blackheads diminishing and a smoother skin texture. My skin has not reacted to it, either. Highly recommend for anyone who doesn't react to AHAs!

on 1/1/2008 7:06:00 PM

absolute HG cleanser! my skin seriously hasn't been clearer since using this. i suffer from mostly hormonal breakouts. i have blackheads and large pores around my nose and this has really cleared them up. i also get a lot of clogged pores and a few deep cystic pimples that last for months, and since using this, i've noticed a lot less of them. i will say this-in terms of things like blackheads and clogged pores, when you first start using this, you don't notice a huge difference in the way they look-its not like a huge difference in before and after. however, after repeated use, you will start to see a difference. and then the real test is if you all of a sudden stop using it. recently i switched cleansers to something else and i noticed a horrible difference! my skin was dull, my blackheads were horrible, and the clogged pores were coming back! so, i immediately started using the enzyme gel again, and within a few days my skin was clear and glowy again! and not only that, but my skin is seriously, annoyingly combination, meaning i have some dry, flaky patches as well as some spots that are extremely oily and i've never found another cleanser that helped to balance that out so well. my skin seems to be almost normal. it also does a really good job at removing most of my makeup, and i do tend to use heavier coverage and long lasting foundations. you just may need an extra eye-makeup remover. as for the product itself, i think it smells pretty good. i can't really describe the smell, but i like it. it is nonfoaming, which can take some time to get used to, and also sometimes causes you to use more than is needed, but thats really no biggie. all in all, this is a fabulous cleanser that i think is really suitable for all skin types. but just one more note-this cleanser didn't clear up all my acne by itself. i use this in conjunction with a toner and spot treatment, but each individual item does its own part in clearing up my skin.
UPDATE: (07/10/08)-i had to take off one lippie. i started to wear a very long lasting sunscreen and foundation and noticed that this cleanser wasn't getting it all off so i started getting clogged pores. i've since added DHC cleansing oil before this and it works wonderfully. the enzyme cleansing gel is gentle enough to not dry out my skin after the oil.

on 12/31/2007 1:41:00 PM

I liked this product at first.

It left my skin feeling very clean, but after about two weeks of using it, I had really bumpy skin from it.

I switched to Murad Clarifying cleanser and the bumps cleared up.

on 12/30/2007 9:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I think this cleanser is average. It doesn't seem to have any effect, positive or negative on my acne, but is super gentle on my combo skin. My biggest complaint with this product was that it never removed all of my concealer, this is less of a concern now since I use Dermalogica's Precleanse first. The scent reminds me of Irish Spring soap. This cleanser is a great value, the bottle is huge and I only need a pea-sized amount.