December 18, 2014 | 1734 users online

Cleansers - Mario Badescu - Enzyme Cleansing Gel

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2007 1:37:00 AM More reviews by LolaBlue

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I don't use this everyday anymore, but I always keep a bottle of this in the bathroom because when my skin gets sensitized this is the only cleanser my skin will tolerate. it's not foaming, and I find it works better when applied to dry skin than wet skin. it always calms down my skin, and works quickly to smooth it. a staple for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2007 8:14:00 PM More reviews by Nikki_Lace

I love that Mario Badescu sends out free samples - and it works, because it only makes me want to buy the products! I received this as part of my samples, and it was my favorite part! My face didn't feel like it needed moisturizer afterwards, and it felt just SO CLEAN. My skin cleared up within a few days using this product in conjunction with the Special Cucumber Lotion.

I like the smell of this - fresh and natural. I was expecting something gunky and chemical-smelling, and I'm glad it wasn't! It takes time to get used to the fact it doesn't foam, but for my combination skin, it's perfect and doesn't dry out a spot!

I would buy this again in a heartbeat

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2007 7:51:00 PM More reviews by delicatesakura

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been on the search for a cleanser that is gentle on my sensitive skin but is effective at cleaning out pores and gnk and this is it! I love everything about it! It feels refreshing on skin and smells great! I havent had a breakout yet with this which makes me very happy that I found this skincare line!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/24/2007 3:08:00 PM More reviews by stephaniepress

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product made my face irritated and broke it out, despite claims to be for all skin types. To be fair to the company, they let me exchange it for another cleanser (this time the Seaweed) past the 30 days they normally allow for a refund/exchange. Their customer service is always very helpful. Some people are very sensitive to botanicals or other natural ingredients. I am probably one of them.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2007 12:59:00 PM More reviews by Kandinsky

I bought Mario Badescu's Enzyme Cleansing Gel on a whim. It seemed mild and I liked the minimal list of ingredients. My SO and I share cleansers and we had been very satisfied with Anthony Logistics glycolic cleanser. However, being a product junkie like so many MUAers, when we ran out of the Anthony Logistics cleanser, I wanted to try something new. I do not like MB's Enzyme Cleansing gel - it leaves a weird film on my face and doesn't really *do* anything - I noticed no improvement nor any detrimental effects. On the other hand, my SO's face (which was perfect when using the Anthony Logistics line) has broken out more and more. Something about the Enzyme Cleansing gel does not agree with his skin: it either doesn't rinse clean, or isn't cleaning his face enough. I like MB packaging but the writing on the label has worn off (after only 2 months). So this product gets an overall 2 rating: it didn't do anything (bad or good) for me, and definitely did something bad to my SO's skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/29/2007 10:37:00 AM More reviews by rachelanneb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

love it. clears my pores without irritating. perfect for my sensitive, combination, acne prone skin. great price for the quality!

EDIT 3/2011: this was not fully cleaning my face and too harsh at the same time in the long run.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/3/2007 3:10:00 AM More reviews by lala_tee

The best thing I like about this product is the smell (its screaming natural and nutritious). It makes you WANT to wash ur face in the morning!! The packaging is also really smart..u can access the product with ur eyes closed and after using this product everytime i went on a plane I didnt need to worry that when i open my luggage my cleanser would have exploded everywhere. Mario products r cheaper than other big brands cos they dont spend money on colourful glossy packaging. What u pay for is wats inside the bottle :)
As for effectiveness, i have sensitive combo skin, acne prone and this product removes oil without drying/irritating my skin! It feels sooo good on the skin (and did i mention the smell?) and cos my skin isnt tight after applying it its so tempting to just skip the toning and moisturising! Im not really sure how effective this is for preventing pimples, but I no it does clean the skin super well, soothes breakouts and improves the overall texture of the skin! Even tho I'm acne prone I personally don't mind that this cleanser isnt designed to cure acne, after all that's what treatments are for. Besides, I believe in balance and if everything u use in ur routine is designed to deepl exfoliate or dry out spots or renew cells, ur sure to tire ur skin out!! A gentle cleanser that does its job (cleanse) and improves skin complexion makes sense to me :)
Tip: when u cleanse, leave it on for 30 seconds so ur skin can actually abosrb all the goodness!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2007 7:42:00 AM More reviews by spamdy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have no problems with this product, its a nice gentle cleanser that leaves my face feeling nice, soft and clean. However for how much it costs its not really worth it I could easily buy a cheaper drugstore cleanser that left the same effect. Nice cleanser just too pricey, wouldn't buy again.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/9/2007 3:51:00 PM More reviews by andreautick

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A couple months ago, I decided to get an actual skincare routine going--you know, one with a cleanser, toner, moisurizer, etc. I knew MB woudl send samples, so I took the skin survey and had the samples sent to me. I tried them all out and I liked the idea behind them, the simple ingredients, and the way they smelled/felt on my skin. So I used the samples for a week, religiously, day and night. My skin was good, no breakouts, so I ordered the full size of the main products they sent, one of which was this cleansing gel. I kept using it, in the recommended way, and my skin started to get worse and worse. I have combo skin that is dry on cheeks, normal in t-zone, and sensitive, and will breakout from the wrong products. So, I thought maybe it was hormones and kept using it. But, it got worse and worse to the point where I had to start wearing foundation just to cover the small, yet deep, whiteheads all over. I quit using this cleansing gel, and switched back to my old cleanser, and my skin calmed down almost immediately. I will use this on my back from time to time after workouts to ward of "bacne" but, I will never use this on my face again.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/24/2007 4:52:00 PM More reviews by lmarschel

I have been using this product for about 2 months now and at first I didn't like it because it doesn't remove eye makeup that well and when it use it at night, for example, there is a thin layer of oil on my nose when I wake up, same thing if I use it in the morning- by the end of the day my nose is oilier than usual. BUT. I do like it overall and it has gotten better. I have had no break outs, I have not gotten a new pimple since I started using it. My combo skin typically has slightly dry cheeks and forehead and oily nose but never before having this product have I had that layer of oil on my nose in the morning. I tried the MB silver powder but not sure it is doing anything for me. So yeah, the nose is getting less oily and overall my skin looks and feels better for using it.
Update: Still using this after 2 years. I went to the makeup counter to buy some more MB moisturizer and asked if the lady suggested using anything different for the winter. She asked me what problems or complaints I have about my skin and to my amazement I had none! She kept asking and I kept saying no, not that, no, not that either. So I guess this is working well for me.