Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing Gel

3.9

Ingredients: Deionized Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Papaya (Carica Papaya Fruit) Extract, Grapefruit (Citrus Grandis Fruit) Extract, Lauramide DEA, Monomide, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben. (2/19/2014)

on 12/31/2007 1:41:00 PM

I liked this product at first.

It left my skin feeling very clean, but after about two weeks of using it, I had really bumpy skin from it.

I switched to Murad Clarifying cleanser and the bumps cleared up.

on 12/30/2007 9:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I think this cleanser is average. It doesn't seem to have any effect, positive or negative on my acne, but is super gentle on my combo skin. My biggest complaint with this product was that it never removed all of my concealer, this is less of a concern now since I use Dermalogica's Precleanse first. The scent reminds me of Irish Spring soap. This cleanser is a great value, the bottle is huge and I only need a pea-sized amount.

on 12/30/2007 10:24:00 AM

Oh my gosh, I can't believe how long it took me to review this amazing product!

Having used a sample of this in late 2005, I fell in love with it, but never got to purchasing it because shipping charges are exhorbitant at Mario Badescu.com (still is). I soon gave up trying to swap for it and went on to other faves. Come 2007, I saw the brand being sold at Kit Cosmetics (which by now, you should know, is my favourite cosmetics counter in Perth). I could still remember how luxurious it felt - thick, cushiony texture. But it was more suitable for combination skins, so I had to use a more moisturizing cleanser instead (cleansing milk w/ carnation and rice oil). Now that Iím back in humid Singapore, my skin is oilier than in Australia, so I got re-acquainted with ECG!

One thing about this line of products is that no fragrances are being added, any scent you get comes naturally from the ingredients. And indeed, this cleanser has got a very sweet, fresh and green scent, almost like a cucumber sorta smell. Cleansing powers wise, it also gets full marks. Since using this, my toner-soaked cotton pad comes up clean, EVERY TIME! I like to leave it on (after massaging it on my skin for about 30secs) for another minute or so for the AHAs to work on my dead skin cells. I'm not sure if the AHAs in there actually work, but I always follow up with a manual scrub to get all the dead skin cells rubbed off (I'm a rough!).

It's so moisturizing with the high content of glycerin, I have never felt tight or dry after using the cleanser. I like how it doesn't foam up because my skin don't take foaming cleansers well. I have had my 8oz bottle for 3 months now, and it's only abt 50% gone. Extremely economical even though I bought it in Australia for AUD$32. I know it's a total rip-off as compared to the US price. But hey, it's still worth it than buying something cheap that doesn't work for me.

I'm extremely acne-prone (now controlled by BCPs), and I never had a breakout reaction with this cleanser ever. This is absolute pure love.

on 12/19/2007 2:45:00 PM

Used the sample and bought the real thing. It is surprising because it does not foam like most cleansers. I feel that it cleans better when applied to dry skin rather than to damp skin. Can't say that the product dramatically improved my skin, but it is a good neutralizer. Plus, it's a great value because of how much product you get for the price.

on 12/12/2007 1:37:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I don't use this everyday anymore, but I always keep a bottle of this in the bathroom because when my skin gets sensitized this is the only cleanser my skin will tolerate. it's not foaming, and I find it works better when applied to dry skin than wet skin. it always calms down my skin, and works quickly to smooth it. a staple for me.

on 12/4/2007 8:14:00 PM

I love that Mario Badescu sends out free samples - and it works, because it only makes me want to buy the products! I received this as part of my samples, and it was my favorite part! My face didn't feel like it needed moisturizer afterwards, and it felt just SO CLEAN. My skin cleared up within a few days using this product in conjunction with the Special Cucumber Lotion.

I like the smell of this - fresh and natural. I was expecting something gunky and chemical-smelling, and I'm glad it wasn't! It takes time to get used to the fact it doesn't foam, but for my combination skin, it's perfect and doesn't dry out a spot!

I would buy this again in a heartbeat

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I have been on the search for a cleanser that is gentle on my sensitive skin but is effective at cleaning out pores and gnk and this is it! I love everything about it! It feels refreshing on skin and smells great! I havent had a breakout yet with this which makes me very happy that I found this skincare line!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This product made my face irritated and broke it out, despite claims to be for all skin types. To be fair to the company, they let me exchange it for another cleanser (this time the Seaweed) past the 30 days they normally allow for a refund/exchange. Their customer service is always very helpful. Some people are very sensitive to botanicals or other natural ingredients. I am probably one of them.

on 11/5/2007 12:59:00 PM

I bought Mario Badescu's Enzyme Cleansing Gel on a whim. It seemed mild and I liked the minimal list of ingredients. My SO and I share cleansers and we had been very satisfied with Anthony Logistics glycolic cleanser. However, being a product junkie like so many MUAers, when we ran out of the Anthony Logistics cleanser, I wanted to try something new. I do not like MB's Enzyme Cleansing gel - it leaves a weird film on my face and doesn't really *do* anything - I noticed no improvement nor any detrimental effects. On the other hand, my SO's face (which was perfect when using the Anthony Logistics line) has broken out more and more. Something about the Enzyme Cleansing gel does not agree with his skin: it either doesn't rinse clean, or isn't cleaning his face enough. I like MB packaging but the writing on the label has worn off (after only 2 months). So this product gets an overall 2 rating: it didn't do anything (bad or good) for me, and definitely did something bad to my SO's skin.

on 10/29/2007 10:37:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

love it. clears my pores without irritating. perfect for my sensitive, combination, acne prone skin. great price for the quality!

EDIT 3/2011: this was not fully cleaning my face and too harsh at the same time in the long run.