August 1, 2014 | 1848 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2007 6:30:00 PM More reviews by VikiLyn

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is, without a doubt, my HG. I love this foundation, love the company, the customer service, everything. In my quest for the perfect mineral makeup, I have tried MANY (BE, Philosophy, Lumiere, Monave, Meow, and several others). I really, really loved EM until I tried Alima. And don't get me wrong, I still love EM and will continue to buy lots of their products! However, Alima lasts all day on my skin (normal/dry), doesn't make me too dry or too oily, is a great color match (Satin N2). Its also not too shiney (like BE!) or too Matte.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2007 7:40:00 AM More reviews by poeticsinger

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm a huge experimenter of foundation. I've tried them all. BE (didn't care for it), Armomaleigh (GREAT STUFF), Jane Iredale (nice but expensive), Loreal (pretty much what I expected..not impressed), Everyday Minerals (didn't last very long but started out great)...and the most recent finds were Lumiere and Alima. They were both EXCELLENT mineral foundations. I have no complaints about either. I could use either of these and be VERY happy. In the end, Lumiere won. I think it's a little smoother and has a flawless finish all day. But you could definitely do worse than Alima. GREAT product.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/12/2007 12:20:00 AM More reviews by bbb111

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I found this foundation to be a little dry on my oily skin when first applied but then looked greasy within 2 hours and made my pores stand out even when using my primer. I also really never found a color match. They have a range of colors but I couldn't find one that really matched my warm skin tone (peachy/golden) undertones. Warm and Goldens were both too yellow and neutral was too brownish pink.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/10/2007 5:06:00 AM More reviews by SinfullyGirly

This product was easy to find a colour match, N1 Chiffon matches my NW20 skin fine. I did fid the texture a little chalky and felt it looked as though I was wearing powder. Didnt enhance my skin. (prefer EDM, I have a review for this too) Didnt make me breakout however though I tried it only for a short time. I personally think with minerals its very individual and you just ahve to experiment with different brands.....samples are a great way to do this as you dont really loose out then paying out for it.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/23/2007 10:42:00 PM More reviews by ChaCha_83

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When i tried the samples it was great so i bought the full one in W1 not long ago. The first time when i wear it, it was thick enough on my skin but a bit chalky this time. After using for few weeks now I realise that my skin starts to itch and slowly develop bumps too. I was so in love with this product that i was not happy with effect on my skin so i spot-check on the jar and there's a black dirt particles inside of the jar (just the surface if it and the side of it which can see from the jar itself).

I'm so clueless about the dirt , where it came from since it was inside the jar with the minerals and not sure how long it have been there. But luckily the concealer is ok though!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2007 2:05:00 PM More reviews by primflower

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Alima is the latest MMU that I've sampled on my quest to find the perfect MMU.
I've also been on a quest for about the last 30 years to find the perfect foundation.
In the different brands of MMU, I have tried :
JI - AB- shiny. Poor colour match. Huge pores.
JI - PPB- love that it is pressed but again, poor colour match (and I've tried several of them) and does nothing to keep shine at bay.Also has a tendency to change colour on me after about an hour of wear.
Pure Luxe - unable to find a colour match, good coverage though.
J Lynne - my skin itched like crazy.
Lily Lolo - skin itches a little, cannot get the coverage I require
Melange - no colour match

Ok those are just a few. My skin is tough to match as my other foundation reviews prove.
Ordered Alima last Wednesday, and it arrived today, Tuesday, from Oregon USA to England in less than a week. Very impressive!

I ordered 5 samples. I've only sampled the N2 today and although I am not convinced yet that the shade is just right, the formulation of this MMU is as wonderful as most of the other reviews here say it is. I have red veins to cover and open pores. This goes on so nicely ( I used the Alima brush #25), and a couple of light layers later I was good to go.
The colour did not change after I applied it, even now 7 hours later. This is a MAJOR selling point for me as foundations often oxidise on my skin.
Sure I have some oily breakthrough, but I am happy to say that IF I can get a perfect colour match, I think I will be able to give this HG status, thereby saving myself a fortune on La Mer Creme foundation which so far is my favourite.
I will be trying my other samples over the next few days to try to get a perfect match, and will update shortly

22/09/07 ETA: I do like this better than all the other minerals but it is not quite HG. That honour goes to the La Mer Treatment Foundation. But for a quick casual daytime make up this is great.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2007 6:17:00 AM More reviews by tealeafdoll

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

What I like about this foundation is the colour range, I have pinky toned skin but prefer to use a foundation with a little yellow base to it. Alima literally covers all options, although I personally found the cool shades very grey looking with no pink it them at all. I usually use a warmer shade, but with Alima my preferred shade is the neutral ones, which have just the right amount of yellow in to cover blemishes/redness etc
My advice would be to order several shades in their generous sample pots, which are a good price too.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2007 10:46:00 AM More reviews by trulylovely

Best foundation I've ever tried, hands down. I have oily/combo skin, with not a lot of breakouts but I have some freckles and bit of scarring that I prefer covered up. Alima gives a natural but good coverage without looking fake and like a mask.

I LOVE that they offer samples, because I had to order over 10 samples before finding a match, and I was able to mix samples in order to find my perfect shade. I was never able to do that with BE, and ended up wearing a color that was wrong for me because they didn't have a perfect match for me. With Alima I can mix to my exact shade, and it looks so much more natural than BE.

Right now I am wearing a mix of W2, W3, W4, N2 and N3. That sounds kind of crazy but it works for me right now. Whose samples run out, I will keep mixing and find what works.

I have also gotten tons of compliments on my makeup since I started using Alima, which definitely says something. I cannot rave enough about this makeup and the company as well. The customer service is amazing, they return emails within the day, and my order is almost always shipped out the same day, and arrive in 2 or 3 days across the country. I have found my perfect foundation!

Less is more with this foundation, I find that if you apply too much, it will look chalky and ashy, but very thin layers give a perfect coverage. I also reccommend reading Alima's website tips about applying the foundation.

And one last rave, I was using the EoB Control Powder brush and got good results, but I recently got the Alima #25 brush, and the foundation looks 10 times better when applied with the #25 brush. See my review on that!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2007 4:14:00 AM More reviews by burymeinblack

I'm on my second jar of this mineral foundation and I'm pretty satisfied. I think I will stick with this foundation and brand in general for quite a while.

Before Alima I was just using concealer on my face and nothing else. I haven't used a liquid or cream foundation in a long time because I don't want to be putting too much on my acne-prone face. I finally decided I wanted more than concealer so I went and researched all of the mineral makeup brands. Since most of the actual mineral foundations are the same basic ingredients, I just wanted to see which brand sounded like one I'd like to support.

I love the fact that they send me 5 different free samples every time I order!! Who doesn't like samples? Not only that, but they encourage recycling (after you send in 5 empty full-size jars you get a coupon for a free eyeshadow.) Last but not least, they make me feel dorky and special each time I see "Thanks, Tiffany! =)" handwritten in pink gel ink on my packing slip. Hahaha.

As for the actual foundation, while this is the first and only mineral foundation I've used, I don't expect miracles or full coverage from any sort of powdery natural makeup, but it definitely makes me look a lot better than just using concealer alone. What's more important to me is using something vegan, cruelty-free and natural on my unfortunately acne-prone skin.

Anyway, like I said, most mineral brands generally have the same basic ingredients so you're really just shopping around for a brand that cares about their customers. You should definitely consider Alima.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2007 5:21:00 PM More reviews by SuzyCutie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I've used Everyday Minerals for a long time(over 6 mos,so for me a long time :P) and have been pretty satified.I got some Alima samples in a swap and I love it-the N-1,surprisingly is a perfect match for my NC20 skin.I have been using Golden Fair and Fawn from EM and I noticed to my horror the other day how yellow my face looked in natural light.It was on the verge of jaundice,seriously.I have found N1 and Warm Almond(?) W-1,for reference-to be a better color match,though I do love EM for their prices and cs,I may be ordering from Alima instead.Staying power is a bit better than EM and Jane Iredale imo as well,which is a plus in the August heat.
UPDATE: I just bought the full size W1,perfect shade match,and fast,fast shipping.I also find this to be a better value for the $ in regards to the amt of product for the price.