Alima Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

Not tested on animals

on 10/18/2007 3:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

At long last, i have found my HG! It cannot be more difficult for me to find a foundation match - im asian, tanned with peachy and golden undertones. I have uneven skin tone and because i do outdoor sports, my skin tone also changes from time to time. On top of that, i want a natural-looking foundation that makes me look like i have great skin, not like im wearing a mask.

I found a solution to all of the above in Alima. Bought samples of different colours, then played around with them until the perfect match was found in W5 + G4. The coverage was very natural and buildable. Im really surprised at how little is used each time. It's been close to 2 weeks, and i've only made a small dent in the 2 sample plastic containers.

A trick i've learnt from the Alima website is to give a few spritzes of water to the face using an atomiser after the make up is done. The finish is beautiful! Im going to try using a wet brush next.

on 10/14/2007 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Just two days test-driving Alima's Satin Matte and I have a full-fledged SD reaction. I'm sure it's due to the serecite mica.
I didn't downgrade my overall rating however since this sensitivity to certain micas is not that common. But I felt I should add a review in case any other SD-prone was considering trying this MMU.
I will say that everyone's correct in praising the customer service. The samples are well-done and generous. I really wanted this to work for me so it is a bit disappointing...but I'm used to that since my skin is so reactive. Just a mention about shades in case it might be helpful. I'm a MAC C3 and Alima's W3 Coriander was a great match.
INGREDIENTS: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) Mica (CI 77019). May contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499). continued >>

on 10/2/2007 6:36:00 AM

I use this with their foundation brush, which is also outstanding. I just love this mineral foundation, its the best one I have ever tried.I am 53 so its very important NOT to look made up,nothing ages you more than wearing little too much makeup. This goes on very light and you can layer on if you need it, I like it because it doesnt even look like I am wearing ANY foundation but it covers up my tiny imperfections and evens out my skin tone.You can buy tiny samples online, they can also mix it custom for you too.

on 9/21/2007 1:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I'm so in love with this product!!! It makes my skin look almost flawless. :)

Right now, I'm wearing W5, but may switch to a mix of W5 with a little W4, during the winter. It's a perfect match to my MMM/lightCCC comlexion.

I love the fact that it is truely matte, unlike a few of the other MMU foundations that I've sampled. Most of them contain shimmer/glitter particles that end up making my oily skin even more obvious, once the oil production kicks in. Not Alima! :)

It covers nicely, evens out my skintone and also tones down much of the minor surface redness (rosacea) on my upper cheeks, with only one or 2 light layers.

I've applied this foundation with my BE Handy Bukii, my BE Heavenly Face Brush and even Paula's Choice Retractable Powder Brush. I basically apply it like you would any loose or pressed powder - in a downward motion several times, which blends it nicely. I've found no need to "buff" it in, like shown in the infomercials for BE.

My only issue with this product: I wish it came with a sifter that could be closed, for travel or purse. (Paula's Choice Loose Powder has a closable sifter with some sort of slider mechanism.)

on 9/19/2007 6:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Awesome foundation... the only one that has not caused any acne and gives me a nice glow. Try it with the flocking sponge.

on 9/18/2007 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is, without a doubt, my HG. I love this foundation, love the company, the customer service, everything. In my quest for the perfect mineral makeup, I have tried MANY (BE, Philosophy, Lumiere, Monave, Meow, and several others). I really, really loved EM until I tried Alima. And don't get me wrong, I still love EM and will continue to buy lots of their products! However, Alima lasts all day on my skin (normal/dry), doesn't make me too dry or too oily, is a great color match (Satin N2). Its also not too shiney (like BE!) or too Matte.

on 9/12/2007 7:40:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I'm a huge experimenter of foundation. I've tried them all. BE (didn't care for it), Armomaleigh (GREAT STUFF), Jane Iredale (nice but expensive), Loreal (pretty much what I expected..not impressed), Everyday Minerals (didn't last very long but started out great)...and the most recent finds were Lumiere and Alima. They were both EXCELLENT mineral foundations. I have no complaints about either. I could use either of these and be VERY happy. In the end, Lumiere won. I think it's a little smoother and has a flawless finish all day. But you could definitely do worse than Alima. GREAT product.

on 9/12/2007 12:20:00 AM

I found this foundation to be a little dry on my oily skin when first applied but then looked greasy within 2 hours and made my pores stand out even when using my primer. I also really never found a color match. They have a range of colors but I couldn't find one that really matched my warm skin tone (peachy/golden) undertones. Warm and Goldens were both too yellow and neutral was too brownish pink.

This product was easy to find a colour match, N1 Chiffon matches my NW20 skin fine. I did fid the texture a little chalky and felt it looked as though I was wearing powder. Didnt enhance my skin. (prefer EDM, I have a review for this too) Didnt make me breakout however though I tried it only for a short time. I personally think with minerals its very individual and you just ahve to experiment with different brands.....samples are a great way to do this as you dont really loose out then paying out for it.

on 8/23/2007 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

When i tried the samples it was great so i bought the full one in W1 not long ago. The first time when i wear it, it was thick enough on my skin but a bit chalky this time. After using for few weeks now I realise that my skin starts to itch and slowly develop bumps too. I was so in love with this product that i was not happy with effect on my skin so i spot-check on the jar and there's a black dirt particles inside of the jar (just the surface if it and the side of it which can see from the jar itself).

I'm so clueless about the dirt , where it came from since it was inside the jar with the minerals and not sure how long it have been there. But luckily the concealer is ok though!