December 22, 2014 | 1276 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2007 6:36:00 AM More reviews by mav999

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this with their foundation brush, which is also outstanding. I just love this mineral foundation, its the best one I have ever tried.I am 53 so its very important NOT to look made up,nothing ages you more than wearing little too much makeup. This goes on very light and you can layer on if you need it, I like it because it doesnt even look like I am wearing ANY foundation but it covers up my tiny imperfections and evens out my skin tone.You can buy tiny samples online, they can also mix it custom for you too.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2007 1:01:00 AM More reviews by ruqayya33

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm so in love with this product!!! It makes my skin look almost flawless. :)

Right now, I'm wearing W5, but may switch to a mix of W5 with a little W4, during the winter. It's a perfect match to my MMM/lightCCC comlexion.

I love the fact that it is truely matte, unlike a few of the other MMU foundations that I've sampled. Most of them contain shimmer/glitter particles that end up making my oily skin even more obvious, once the oil production kicks in. Not Alima! :)

It covers nicely, evens out my skintone and also tones down much of the minor surface redness (rosacea) on my upper cheeks, with only one or 2 light layers.

I've applied this foundation with my BE Handy Bukii, my BE Heavenly Face Brush and even Paula's Choice Retractable Powder Brush. I basically apply it like you would any loose or pressed powder - in a downward motion several times, which blends it nicely. I've found no need to "buff" it in, like shown in the infomercials for BE.

My only issue with this product: I wish it came with a sifter that could be closed, for travel or purse. (Paula's Choice Loose Powder has a closable sifter with some sort of slider mechanism.)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2007 6:05:00 AM More reviews by SB80

Awesome foundation... the only one that has not caused any acne and gives me a nice glow. Try it with the flocking sponge.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2007 6:30:00 PM More reviews by VikiLyn

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is, without a doubt, my HG. I love this foundation, love the company, the customer service, everything. In my quest for the perfect mineral makeup, I have tried MANY (BE, Philosophy, Lumiere, Monave, Meow, and several others). I really, really loved EM until I tried Alima. And don't get me wrong, I still love EM and will continue to buy lots of their products! However, Alima lasts all day on my skin (normal/dry), doesn't make me too dry or too oily, is a great color match (Satin N2). Its also not too shiney (like BE!) or too Matte.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2007 7:40:00 AM More reviews by poeticsinger

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm a huge experimenter of foundation. I've tried them all. BE (didn't care for it), Armomaleigh (GREAT STUFF), Jane Iredale (nice but expensive), Loreal (pretty much what I expected..not impressed), Everyday Minerals (didn't last very long but started out great)...and the most recent finds were Lumiere and Alima. They were both EXCELLENT mineral foundations. I have no complaints about either. I could use either of these and be VERY happy. In the end, Lumiere won. I think it's a little smoother and has a flawless finish all day. But you could definitely do worse than Alima. GREAT product.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/12/2007 12:20:00 AM More reviews by bbb111

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I found this foundation to be a little dry on my oily skin when first applied but then looked greasy within 2 hours and made my pores stand out even when using my primer. I also really never found a color match. They have a range of colors but I couldn't find one that really matched my warm skin tone (peachy/golden) undertones. Warm and Goldens were both too yellow and neutral was too brownish pink.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/10/2007 5:06:00 AM More reviews by SinfullyGirly

This product was easy to find a colour match, N1 Chiffon matches my NW20 skin fine. I did fid the texture a little chalky and felt it looked as though I was wearing powder. Didnt enhance my skin. (prefer EDM, I have a review for this too) Didnt make me breakout however though I tried it only for a short time. I personally think with minerals its very individual and you just ahve to experiment with different brands.....samples are a great way to do this as you dont really loose out then paying out for it.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/23/2007 10:42:00 PM More reviews by ChaCha_83

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When i tried the samples it was great so i bought the full one in W1 not long ago. The first time when i wear it, it was thick enough on my skin but a bit chalky this time. After using for few weeks now I realise that my skin starts to itch and slowly develop bumps too. I was so in love with this product that i was not happy with effect on my skin so i spot-check on the jar and there's a black dirt particles inside of the jar (just the surface if it and the side of it which can see from the jar itself).

I'm so clueless about the dirt , where it came from since it was inside the jar with the minerals and not sure how long it have been there. But luckily the concealer is ok though!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2007 2:05:00 PM More reviews by primflower

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Alima is the latest MMU that I've sampled on my quest to find the perfect MMU.
I've also been on a quest for about the last 30 years to find the perfect foundation.
In the different brands of MMU, I have tried :
JI - AB- shiny. Poor colour match. Huge pores.
JI - PPB- love that it is pressed but again, poor colour match (and I've tried several of them) and does nothing to keep shine at bay.Also has a tendency to change colour on me after about an hour of wear.
Pure Luxe - unable to find a colour match, good coverage though.
J Lynne - my skin itched like crazy.
Lily Lolo - skin itches a little, cannot get the coverage I require
Melange - no colour match

Ok those are just a few. My skin is tough to match as my other foundation reviews prove.
Ordered Alima last Wednesday, and it arrived today, Tuesday, from Oregon USA to England in less than a week. Very impressive!

I ordered 5 samples. I've only sampled the N2 today and although I am not convinced yet that the shade is just right, the formulation of this MMU is as wonderful as most of the other reviews here say it is. I have red veins to cover and open pores. This goes on so nicely ( I used the Alima brush #25), and a couple of light layers later I was good to go.
The colour did not change after I applied it, even now 7 hours later. This is a MAJOR selling point for me as foundations often oxidise on my skin.
Sure I have some oily breakthrough, but I am happy to say that IF I can get a perfect colour match, I think I will be able to give this HG status, thereby saving myself a fortune on La Mer Creme foundation which so far is my favourite.
I will be trying my other samples over the next few days to try to get a perfect match, and will update shortly

22/09/07 ETA: I do like this better than all the other minerals but it is not quite HG. That honour goes to the La Mer Treatment Foundation. But for a quick casual daytime make up this is great.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2007 6:17:00 AM More reviews by tealeafdoll

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

What I like about this foundation is the colour range, I have pinky toned skin but prefer to use a foundation with a little yellow base to it. Alima literally covers all options, although I personally found the cool shades very grey looking with no pink it them at all. I usually use a warmer shade, but with Alima my preferred shade is the neutral ones, which have just the right amount of yellow in to cover blemishes/redness etc
My advice would be to order several shades in their generous sample pots, which are a good price too.