Laura Mercier Foundation Primer

2.9

Water, Tridecyl Neopentanoate, Stearic Acid, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Retinyl Palmitate, Honey Extract, Allantoin, Kiwi Extract, Grape Extract, Aloe Extract, Thea Sinensis Extract, Lavender Extract, Orange Extract, Palmarosa Extract, Jasmine Extract, Rose Extract, Geranium Extract, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Glyceryl Stearate, Lanolin, Cetyl Alcohol, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fd&C Red #40, Fd&C Yellow #5.

on 10/20/2005 12:37:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I've tried Smashbox and Philosophy. Like both but love this, too. IMHO, it really depends on what effect you wanna achieve.

Philosophy Clear Makeup really makes your skin matte and 'physically' fills in/smoothens out imperfections--it's that kind of creamy, thick layer. Feels fresh, too. I'd gather you'd want this if you have very oily, acne-prone skin. It has an anti-bacterial something in it.

LM is like a moisturizer in texture but keeps oilies at bay yet allows for a little to seep through so you end up dewy, not oily. Helps make cosmetics blendable and stay longer. It also has skin caring ingredients added so your actually giving your skin a treat each time you use it.

In terms of staying power, I like Philosophy's better but it takes practice to quickly apply makeup over it as it dries out into a semi-paste.

Smashbox is a wonderful product, couldn't keep my oily skin from getting shinny by mid-PM (early AM application).

So, choose depending on your need. As for LM, it's not bad. Didn't break me out.

Okay so...What can I say.. I love this product.. Im 42 and just starting to have a few lines... and this seems to really smooth out my skin.. As for my foundation not coming off.. I use chanel.. and it never came off prior to using the primer.. But I love this stuff.. just for how nice and even my skin looks! Awesome product!

on 10/18/2005 3:38:00 AM

Strange how the same one product can illicit such different responses from different people. Have always shied away from LM before this - so pricey! However, I went mad one weekend and bought this with a few other bits and bobs. And I must say I am quite impressed by this! This works for me - just a thin, thin layer on and my foundation looks and feels much better (and I use a variety of foundations depending on my mood!) with no sign of flakiness; although I won't venture as far as using the word 'flawless', it's pretty darn close! No stinging or reaction on me (could that be due to the moisturiser-primer combination?) and after a bad spell with break-outs, I am now ever so careful to get every bit of gunk off my face at the end of the day so there has not been any problems on that end. I have to take a lippie off for the dreadful scent. Bleurgh! Thankfully, this goes away quite quickly. Conclusion : My make-up has never 'behaved' this well, even after nearly ten hours in a dry, air-conditioned office so YAY from me :)

on 10/15/2005 9:45:00 PM

This was my first primer purchase and if this is indicative of what all primers are like, I'll just have to skip this step altogether. For starters, it causes a burning sensation as I smooth it over my face. Secondly, it breaks me out (probably related to reason #1). And lastly, I can't even tell what it does. My foundation still seems to come off halfway through my day, even faster if I'm out in the sun. I use the line's foundation and loose powder, both of which I adore, but the primer is vastly inferior and in my opinion, useless.

on 10/12/2005 3:53:00 AM

i'm currently hunting for a really good primer so i tried this as well. after the failure of nars primer (it made my skin burn), i'm glad this one felt good on my skin. it helped make my foundation glide on smoothly and evenly. i still got a bit oily after a few hours, but that's fine with me as i'm not expecting it to blot off all the oils on my skin, anyway. i'm actually quite afraid of stuff that mattify to the point of sucking out all the oil in my skin.

what's great about this primer is that when my skin started getting oily, my foundation was still intact and smooth. i find that the oiliness with this primer on actually just adds to the dewy look of my skin. yeyy! i just took off one lippie 'coz though it worked great on me, i have yet to try other brands so i can't say for now if this is HG for me.

on 10/9/2005 4:35:00 PM

Why I don't like this product:
1) This product made me break out.
2) It didn't make the makeup application any better.
3) Hard sell by counter girls yet it's seriously an inferior product
4) It smells weird
5) It has a weird texture
6) It's a pointless step and actually made my makeup fall of my face after only 1 hour.
7) The ONLY thig that this product did was MAKE ME BREAK OUT and the SALES GIRLS AT NORDSTROM GAVE ME AN ATTITUDE WHEN I WENT TO RETURN IT. As if everyone in the world thought that it was the end all be all of primers.

I really tried to like this since I like some of her other products but no dice.

on 10/8/2005 3:43:00 PM

Not a fan of this product. It had such great reviews here so I had to try but it did nothing for me. Even immediately after application my face still looked shiney. A few hours later...forget it, I was reflecting light my face was so shiney! It is a liquid form primer and after I put it on I didn't think my skin looked any better, it felt and looked like I didn't put anything on at all. I will be returning this one.

Product Description: Created to extend makeup wear by creating a barrier between the skin and foundation. Just as an artist "primes" a canvas to prepare for painting, Foundation Primer prepares the skin for foundation to glide on easily, look flawless and stay fresh and colour-true for hours. Contains unique light-reflecting ingredients which create a soft-focus appearance, causing fine lines and imperfections to seemingly smooth over and give skin a soft, luminous glow. Pigment-free, Foundation Primer adds no extra layer to makeup. Protects skin from the harmful, aging effects of the environment with Vitamins A, C and E, which act as antioxidants. Oil-free, ideal for all skin types.

A must for non-foundation wearers. Foundation Primer plus Loose Setting Powder adds luminosity and smooths skin texture while maintaining a natural, bare-faced look. Efficient in allowing foundation to "stay put" in hot weather. Helps prevent skin from absorbing talc and pigment from your foundation as well as preventing talc from drawing oil from the skin. ontains botanicals such as lavender, orange, jasmine, rose, geranium, grape, kiwi and aloe extracts to soothe and refresh the skin.
On Me: product description sounds so good! i am a non- foundation wearer & while it really helps my loose powder to adhere to my skin & make me look flawless, it caused me to break out in little white zits all over my face!
continued >>

on 9/12/2005 1:26:00 AM

I bought this Foundation Primer because the sales girl told me it was 2004 Cosmopolitan's Best Primer of the Year in HK. So far, I'm not exactly thrilled or crazy over thie primer although it did bring some praises from my girlfriends who couldn't stop touching and marvelling at my porcelain complexion!!!! Of course, I didn't tell them what my secret finish was :) I applied the LM t/m on top of the primer for some colour tone. For a more natural look, I would use this primer with some loose powder dusted over. Despite giving this 5 lippies,I personally won't buy this primer again because I'll be looking for something with luminescence this time round. The packaging is a plus because it's flat and light enough to go into my travel pouch.

on 9/4/2005 10:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is really a nice primer. It does make a difference in the way your foundation wears...no matter the brand that you choose to use. I have tried it with the LM Oil Free as well as with my Shiseido foundations and it really does do what it is intended to do. I don't use an additional cream or lotion under it..just apply it to freshly washed skin. I did have slight problems with breakouts when I first started using this, but it turned out that my cleanser just wasn't doing the job it should have been. After I switched to a cleansing oil I was able to use this as often as I liked with no problems.
It also does last for quite a while because you don't need to use much (thank goodness..because it's pretty expensive!)

Popular Primer/ Correctors