September 18, 2014 | 1989 users online

Loose Powders - E.L.F. - Studio High Definition Powder

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 3/29/2012 3:59:00 PM More reviews by kasiecakes

This is initially very nice! It's super silky and very finely milled. Even though its a stark white powder, it applies very translucent if you use a light hand (which you're supposed to!) I used a baby buki with this, brushing it over the puff to collect some powder and using it to buff over my face. The oil control is so-so. I found that it made my cheeks and forehead oily, but my nose really dry which is odd considering I have dry cheeks and oily t-zone! It was cheap and for the price, it's worth a try. It's a good powder and it does give me a diffused soft-focus effect for a few hours, so its nice! I wouldn't repurchase this because I like my Blot Powder so much more, but it's a nice alternative sometimes.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 1:41:00 PM More reviews by mzjade22

Depending on how you use this product, you will love it or hate it. I use it to set my foundation. Im dark skinned (NW 43), and this doesnt leave a cast, if you use a setting spray.

I use the puff that comes with it to pat where I need the powder (t-zone). Then I use a big fluffy brush to spread it out and blend it.
I then use Fix+ to set/melt the powder into my foundation, and to take away any of that cakey look.

The packaging is AWESOME btw. It has a screw top so it wont spill out into your bag.

I like it because its a great finishing powder, just make sure to invest in a finishing spray to eliminate any cakeyness.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2012 1:58:00 PM More reviews by cherylf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Update: I ended up hating this powder. Way too drying. Waste of money. Doesn't come close to MUFE or MAC Prep & Prime.
This is an alright setting powder, but I don't like it as much as my MAC Prep & Prime. It's nice to have a cheap alternative on casual days, however.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2012 11:13:00 PM More reviews by PrettyKitty86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love,love,love!!! Never wanna be without....this is my fav setting powder for foundation..Really good for dry/combo skin like mine because it NEVER looks cakey or clings to dry patches and at the same time it controls my oily t-zone.... So awesome that elf started making this cuz I had really been wanting to try the make up forever HD powder but didn't wanna pay like $30 (which I already do for my msf natural, but this keeps me from using that one so much..) Anywhoo, Go get this! It's only like $6 for a huge container and is like the softest powder I've ever tried...probly not the best for travel but I don't find it extremely messy as others have mentioned...Oh yeah, if u do notice a white cast with this, u r probly using to much or didn't buff it in enough..

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2012 4:52:00 PM More reviews by papillon212

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am surprised at the reviewers saying that this product is messy, I have not had a problem with that! I actually love the container because the lid stays firmly on (I've had issues with other loose powders).
This powder is a good product to set your make-up, it has NO color unlike many other supposedly translucent powders. It is also the exact same formula as the MUFE powder, but is only 6 dollars. If you have white residue, you are applying it wrong. Don't use the puff, that thing is worthless. I use a kabuki brush.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2012 12:25:00 PM More reviews by marippe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

was very happy to see that target has started to carry some of the other elf products - this is one i've been wanting to try forever! it is incredibly messy [should have read reviews on here first about keeping the sticker and poking holes through it] so i put some tape over the openings and did the same thing lol. As for how it works, i'm pretty impressed so far. no whitecast look, just a matte face [which is what i want!] it lasted fairly well during my work day, but because of the messy application i didn't bring it along with me. This is going to last for a while, and I have some other setting powders i'd like to try out.. but a yes to a repurchase to support it ;)

rated 2 of 5 on 3/16/2012 3:15:00 AM More reviews by nurrayayn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Read about how good the powder is here. But when i purchase to try it on myself, it was rather disappointing.

The powder didnt do anything much to my skin and its just leave my face all white after usage. Will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2012 12:41:00 PM More reviews by stellar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This stuff is awesome! I've never even found a primer that smooths my fine lines and pores better than this powder does. In fact, lately I've been trying to find a good primer that will make my pores look smaller and haven't really been successful. I bought this powder not realizing that that is one of the benefits, and was happily surprised! It smooths everything over and makes my face look soft and airbrushed, yet natural. It also lasts *very* well and really helps my makeup stay on. The packaging looks pretty nice, though it's a little impractical. It's rather large and bulky so it's a bit of a pain to have to carry with you in your purse or makeup bag. And it would be nice if it had a sifter cover on it so we didn't have to worry about punching holes in the top and still getting extra product out if you carry it around with you. I think I'm going to order some empty jars with the sifter covers on them just for this product. Keep the big one at home and carry the small one around with me. At $6 this product works better than any primer I've tried. I would highly recommend and will definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2012 7:39:00 PM More reviews by kr1sti

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I was kind of disappointed after my first use, as it didn't give that much desired airbrushed effect nor did it make my pores or fine lines disappear. In fact, it did NOTHING. I applied it with the puff that comes with the powder using light sweeping strokes, then tapping motions, and finally, a kabuki brush. And since the powder is not finely milled, it left quite a few chunks of powder on my face, eeks.

So it's been sitting in my drawer for a year until realised I've been using the wrong technique! This time I took a separate, smaller powder puff and applied the powder in pressing and rolling motions, pushing the powder into the skin until my whole face was covered with powder. Then I took a fluffy powder brush and knocked off the excess, working thoroughly to make sure that no white patches were left. Et voilą - (nearly) flawless, bullet proof base for your makeup.

What I like the most is the smooth, silky feel that this powder gives, and how it leaves my skin mattified for good 8 hrs without touch-ups. This powder is especially good when your liquid or cream foundation is on the sticky/greasy side, even after buffing it in and setting it with powder (dusting lightly, as the majority of us do, I suppose).

And I kind of like the subtle whitening effect of this powder, as the majority of my foundations are too dark for my ghostly pale skin, but that's just my preference. I am not sure how this powder performs on darker skins or for those with dry skin.

I washed the puff that comes with this powder and now use it as a lid for the sifter.

Will definitely repurchase, as it improves my skin appearance without clogging pores or breaking me out.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2012 6:59:00 PM More reviews by Lenjamin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

First, as many reviewers have said, THIS PRODUCT IS MESSY! Be prepared. Like other reviewers, I punched holes in the top of the plastic covering using an old earing and sifted it out onto the included puff (and put it on my brush from there).
The packaging is nice to look at, however difficult/messy the product is. The black case it comes in makes it look way more expensive than the entirely reasonable $6.
On my skin, the product felt very light and gave me a nice texture. However, some settled into my trouble dry spots (my nose) and made it look even more dry, even though I just applied moisturizer before any makeup. The rest of my skin, including and especially my oily t-zone, looks fabulous. A few areas where the foundation and concealer didn't quite help my acne scars actually improved drastically; I've never seen my forehead look so good.

Overall:
-Messy, but can be remedied. Case looks nice.
-Price is super reasonable at $6. ELF is always running sales, so often times you can get it cheaper than that (I got mine for $6 at my local Target but bypassed shipping costs).
-Great for T-Zone areas, not so great for dry skin. If you have really bad dry patches, I suggested exfoliating/using extra moisturizer in those areas before application, or just not applying it in those areas at all. It tends to settle in a not-so-nice way on flakey areas.
-Best used as a setting powder, but does its job on its own for clear skin
-worked wonders on my acne scars.

As always with ELF, its definitely worth it just to try it. It's a steal, so if it doesn't work, you have nothing to lose :)