September 17, 2014 | 1271 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2010 4:06:00 PM More reviews by lolalaloca90210

this it's the best teatment for acne and wrinkles makes my face smooth and young looking !!! you have to get the least strenght like 25% and apply a creamy mosturizer with no perfume and a soap with no perfume cause it will sting ....wear it at night only and wear a sunscreen at day and say bye to your wrinkles and ugly skin

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2010 8:40:00 PM More reviews by BrownEyes01

I couldn't get past the flakiness so I had to stop using this. I'm sure the skin underneath would be lovely but weeks of dry, flaky skin that doesn't look better no matter what you do? No thanks.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/15/2010 7:58:00 PM More reviews by pretty_wannabe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This was really bad idea for me. I so wished this worked on my fine lines and sunspots on my cheek but instead it created deep facial lines and my sunspots area did not get lighter. I did researched before I use Retin A and I knew of side effect (peeling/ burning) and it does not worked on everybody but I didnít expected deepen facial lines. Currently Iím using organic facial lines and trying to prevent it from worsening.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2010 9:10:00 PM More reviews by goodtiger

This can be a Godsend for anti-ageing and/or acne if you use it right. Using it 3 times a week is just as effective as every night and is much easier to live with. Go slow with it and buffer if needed with a mild cream such as Vanicream, Eurcerin or Uriage and you won't have to endure the flakiness, redness, peeling and purging that makes so many people quit before reaping the benefits.

This is a great article telling all you need to know about Retin-A:

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2010 8:50:00 PM More reviews by peggy1234

I have spent a lot of money on this. It is the only way I have found to fight the signs of aging. It makes your skin dry and flaky which isn't fun but the end result is beautiful new skin under all those flakes. UPDATE-I still love this product and have started buying it from alldaychemist.com. I am able to buy it so much cheaper and without a perscription. I find that the microfiber towels help take off the dry flaking skin. I also have started using this every 3rd day so that the pealing skin doesn't look so flakey. This is amazing at making skin look younger and keeping pores clean--love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2010 1:39:00 PM More reviews by SFClaire

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

Wow, I must have some seriously oily skin because I have not experienced any of the dryness others have mentioned while using this product. I have been using Retin-A micro nightly for about 2 months now, and my skin has never looked better. I too went through the rather maddening skin purge phase, but can safely say that has passed. I definitely noticed an increase in blackheads for about 2 weeks which was a bit strange as I have never been prone to them in the past.

About the only complaint of irritation I have had while using Retin-A could essentially be chalked up to my own carelessness. When I first started using this product I was not careful enough when applying it around my delicate under eye skin and got some redness and stinging that lasted for about a week. Now, I am quite careful to moisturize around my eyes before applying Retin-A and completely avoid that area like the plague.

It's hard for me to comment on price as the lovely PA at my derms office has provided me with a very generous amount of samples of this product. I may update my review once they run out and I have to face paying retail for it!.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2010 9:36:00 PM More reviews by Mystyre

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

First off, I am using a product called Stieva-A, which is a 0.025% tretinoin cream. I got this product because I had all these awful bumps all over my jaw from when I used coconut oil; they weren't pimples, just flesh-colored clogged pores that no other treatment came close to getting rid of. Since tretinoin is lipid-soluble I figured it would be able to get down into the pore and purge my skin of all the clogs (please never put coconut oil on your face!).

I have been using this for about 4 weeks and am quite happy with how things are going.
Pros: Those clogged pores are becoming pimples, which are then coming to the surface and then going away.
My skin tone looks more even and bright.
Cons: Flakes! I am flaking like mad around my lips and nose. I do swim almost every day, so I think that the chlorine may be contributing to the flakes; my skin only flakes when I get out of the pool.
I had hoped that my this product would help get rid of my blackheads. I don't really see any difference in them yet.

My skin is pretty much a mess right now, what with all the purging, but I expected that. Once it's gone, it doesn't come back, right? I'm holding out for the day when I wake up and my skin looks fab, which hopefully will be sooner rather than later.

EDIT: April 8, 2010
I have stopped using this stuff on a regular basis because the benefits weren't worth the costs. My skin was either super dry or really greasy from the heavy-duty lotions I needed to combat flakes. I found that using this made my routine more complicated than it ought to be and that my skin just wasn't happy or in any kind of homeostatic state. I will probably use it once a week just to help prevent clogs by maintaining good cellular turnover.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2010 10:46:00 AM More reviews by MaddyLanechange

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I will update this over a period of at LEAST 6 months. I am grateful for all the reviews on here, as they made me go out and try this product and I'm very happy I did.

A little info. about me and my skin first. I just turned 28, I have fair/medium skin with yellow undertones. I would consider my skin normal to normal/combo skin (somewhat oily tzone) and I have hormonal acne on my chin. When one slowly disappears, another one pops up on the other side of my chin. I originally looked into this for acne treatment, but I use it all over my face as an anti-aging product as well (and now, primarily).

I use Johnson&Johnson 0.05% Retin-A. It was dirt cheap cause I got it through my insurance company. Think I paid $6 Canadian.

It's been 2 weeks, and the first few days were PAINFUL and very difficult to get through (espcially since it's winter, the weather adds to the dryness). Since I read a whole bunch of reviews, I already knew that the first little while is tough to get through (itchy skin, irritation, breakout, peeling) <--all of which happened. But I stuck with it, and a week after starting my routine, I stopped peeling, my skin doesn't feel as itchy (still a bit itchy) and my breakouts are gone. I DID go through the purging period that some of you talk about. I got breakouts in places I never got breakouts (like on my forehead, tiny little red ones) and on my chin...ugh my chin exploded. It was horrible. I considered stopping but I stuck with it. AND SO HAPPY I DID. My skin is flawless. Seriously...FLAWLESS. I didn't have huge pores, but they were visible and now they're not. The tiny crepeyness around my eyes are gone and my tiny frown lines & lines on the forehead are gone. They weren't deep to begin with, I'm only 28, but now they're not there AT ALL. My skin is so smooth that I look like I took about 5 years off. Also, my makeup glides on so smoothly but what I noticed is I don't require much makeup at all. Because my pores aren't visible, and the tone is even, I find myself using spot concealer, a little mineral powder and I'm good to go.

It is EXTREMELY important to wait before applying the cream. Even if your face FEELS dry, wait about 30 minutes after washing your face before using RETIN-A and a little really does go a long way. I use less than a pea size drop for my entire face and that should be enough. Any more and you're just asking for trouble. And using more doesn't give you better results, just makes your skin burn, sensitive and flakey.

Here's my morning routine:
Wash face with cetaphil/spectro gel.
Pat dry, then apply olay regenerist daily moisturizer unscented /w spf 15 OR Clinique sheer city block spf 25

Here's my evening routine:
Remove eyemakeup with Olay Makeup Remover.
Wash face with Cetaphil/Spectro gel
Wait at least 30 minutes then apply a pea size drop of retin-a to my entire face and some on the neck area as well.
(I do not apply moisturizer on top, I let Retin-A do it's work overnight)

I will update as it's only been 2 weeks and the results are supposed to get better and better...

Hope this was helpful!

UPDATE #1 - It's been 5 weeks since I started using Retin-A and I use the same morning and night routine. Nothing has changed! I still love it but no noticeable changes since my first review which was 2 weeks into treatment. I was told that 2-3 months in, the results will be absolutely fabulous. They're great so far, but I want to see more! I find that I still flake sometimes. Some days are worse than others. Especially around my chin - that area seems to be the most dry and flaky. The dryness and flakes seems to come and go. Not sure if it has anything to do with the weather being so cold/dry here in Toronto. Will update again soon.
UPDATE #2 - It's been over 2 months and I continue to use the cream, although I confess, a couple weeks I used it every other day or so just cause I'd wash my face and couldn't stay up for half an hour to apply the retin-a. And as mentioned earlier, if you don't want at least 30 min. you'll worsen the irritation. But I DO continue to use it religiously and still loving it. Keeps my chin acne under control and no visible lines on my forehead, between my brows and around my eyes. Again as mentioned, it's not like I had deep lines there before I started using this, but they WERE showing a bit, and now they're not. Will continue to update as apparently the results just get better and better with time. Remember to always put on sunscreen before you leave the house even on cloudy days or during winter months...not just on sunny summer days ladies. I am using clinique city block sheer SPF 25 because I like the fact that there are no chemical sunscreen in this product and it is beautiful under makeup. :) will update again soon.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2010 12:51:00 AM More reviews by juicy70

I tried Retin-A 0.025% for about 2 months. At first things seemed to go well, some flaking but nothing like the scary stories. I always put a coat of squalane oil between my skin and the retin-A cream, and only used a pea-size for my whole face.
Then I started purging around my chin area. My formerly clear skin looked like a teenager's - red pimples speckled all over. Then my skin became heavily irritated and red, my friends kept telling me I had eczema on my face and I would constantly get strange looks. I started having to hide under foundation every day but even that wasn't enough. Nothing was hydrating enough for my now broken and discolored skin. I discontinued the Retin-A and my skin is slowly clearing up. Once everything is back to normal I may use it a couple of times a week, but honestly my Lacsal cream (8.5% AHA and 1.5% BHA) works just as well and didn't ravage my face. I would advise to try it but keep in mind that something like this may happen even to someone who used it according to the rules and had no acne breakouts to start with. Good luck!
UPDATE: After leaving my skin alone for a few months I gave it another go. Started with 0.025% cream over a buffer oil twice a week, slowly moved to every day. Now I am applying with no buffer around the eyes and on my neck, and am slowly working on removing the buffer for the rest of my face. So far so good, no peeling or redness. There is hope! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2010 11:36:00 AM More reviews by Terick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Well I used this for eight weeks straight. After two weeks my face looked great and after that the purging started. I hadn't had acne that bad since my teens!! It was horrible...and I just kept using it every night. I used vasoline with a wash cloth to combat the flakes but the cysts didn't stop. I stopped using it for about four days and my face is completely clear. I've read all the reviews that it takes a long time but really this just got ridiculous. I have a job and a life and I couldn't continue looking like a monster! I think I'll stick to my routine of just washing and deal with the hormonal stuff that happens every so often and I can't deal with constant horrid acne around my neck and jawline!