Price: $

Price: $

Sodium bicarbonate

on 9/10/2009 7:08:00 PM

Is there any way I can give a zero...

So, I read some reviews on a different review board about making a baking soda mask. You use baking soda and water to make a paste, apply to skin, leave on for 10-15 mins and poof it leaves you with smooth soft skin.

HAHA I did this to my poor face three days ago and it caused a burn!! My face was incredibly red tight and super painful / uncomfortable!!!! And now it looks horrible, it's still super tight and it hurts to talk / smile.

If you do this, try it on a small portion of your face. I feel so ridiculously sad about my skin right now and I don't want anyone else to go through this. I cried in class the other day because of how bad it was.... how embarrassing! Skin problems are the worse!!!!!!!!!

on 8/22/2009 3:05:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I will use a little baking soda once in a great while mixed in with my shampoo, as it does remove product build up. Used infrequently it is a good thing, I cannot use it very often though, as then my already dry and coarse hair just becomes more so.

Using baking soda on a regular basis on the skin really wiill have a negative effect on the acid mantle, the natural barrier made up of oils on the surface of the skin. Baking soda is very alkaline. I am surprised that so many people like to use it as a scrub. Estheticians will use a baking soda and water solution as an all around basic neutralizer after applying a chemical peel. Chemical peels are acidic, the baking soda being alkaline brings up the PH of the skin.

A baking soda and water solution applied while the skin is being steamed will definitely help when it comes to blackhead extractions, it probably works just as well if not better than all those "fancy" lotions and potions out there, but using baking soda for extractions is something we should only do once in a while. Regular use of baking soda on the skin in the form of a scrub, well, I just don't know, I can't see it ever being a good thing at all. All these positive reviews befuddle me!

on 8/20/2009 5:35:00 AM

For skin, baking soda is eh for me. Overall rating would be a two. I mean yeah, it gets it soft, but I also get red and sensitive and there are better ways for me to get the same result. But as shampoo, it gets a five. My hair doesn't produce a lot of oil at all, I seriously could get by without washing for a week without too many greasies, but baking soda is so effective and easy and inexpensive. I am prone to dryness in my hair, but in my daily shower I usually just scrub my scalp a bit with water, and apply some oil to the length when I get out. Twice a week or so I use a bit of baking soda (MAYBE a teaspoon for my armpit length thin hair) disolved in a cup or so of water, and pour it down the length. I make sure it's distributed, rinse, and finish it off with an acv rinse. My hair is so shiny and healthy. My wavy curls also come out much more with baking soda, as the moisturizing shampoos and conditioners I was using just weighed it down. I can't help but dig that there's no SLS or likewise chemicals, and also I can reduce consumption, as buying a 2 dollar box once or twice a year is much better than whatever shampoo company I'm supporting. I just recommend everyone at least give it a shot, as you probably have the baking soda and ACV already, you may end up loving it as I do!

on 8/15/2009 11:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

As an addition to my cleanser or alone with a few drops of EVOO, I Love It! The exfoliation it provides is fantastic! If you have sensitive skin, be careful and try a test patch. Baking soda is basic/alkaline and very drying. This can cause breakouts and irritation for some. It will NOT, as some reviewers have said here, destroy the acid mantle of your skin. All cleansers/exfoliants, including baking soda, will alter the skin's pH, temporarily. If you are worried about this effect, mix the baking soda with a BHA or AHA cleanser. Also, you can apply an acidic toner (ACV toner is another great DIY skin treatment) after using baking soda. Make sure you rinse well, too. It leaves my skin smooth and glowing!

on 7/21/2009 2:04:00 AM

I first used Baking Soda as a face exfoliant...which was a complete mistake. It irritated my skin and my face broke out in this bumpy red rash, that thankfully disappeared the next day. Now I use it mixed up with some sugar/salt and a bit of honey and water to scrub my legs to remove the dry skin that comes with winter. It's also great for cleaning too. Just don't try it on your face if you have sensitive skin.

I have used baking soda as an exfoliator (excellent), as a tooth paste (just add a little salt and voila), and as a shampoo. It really cleaned my scalp well and my hair was squeaky clean, but my hair became dry and as unmanageable as straight thin hair can be. I won't use it as a shampoo anymore, but for everything else - yes! Also works great as a bathroom cleanser, dish scrub, laundry whitener, and I am sure there are lots of other uses that I haven't thought or heard of... yet. ~Ώτ

on 7/14/2009 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Ok... I have oily skin with not too many pimples due to my doctor's prescriptive facial wash and gels. I just need a gentle everyday cleaner without BP or SA to use in the morning and remove my makeup at night.
I am really impressed. I find it to be an extremely gentle facial wash that barely qualifies as a scrub. I have not experienced any of the irritation some of the previous reviewers have talked about, but my skin isn't exactly sensitive either. I pour a tiny bit (like a penny sized amount) onto my fingers and add a bit of water, mix it, and rub it on my face.
Also, this works wonders as a teeth whitener (just sprinkle a little bit on your toothbrush along with your toothpaste). After just one use, I could tell that my teeth felt and looked a lot cleaner. Baking soda even removes greasy residue from your hair as well. (Just rub a quarter sized amount into your hair along with your daily shampoo.)
Overall, I think this product is great and would completely recommend it. Hope this helps!

on 7/14/2009 1:57:00 AM

Works fantastic as a tooth whitener, dry shampoo, and great as an exfoliator, as well. I've also been told that you can mix just a little bit with a drop or two of water and use as a paste (much like aspirin, but without the salicylic acid) on individual blemishes to dry them out.

on 7/13/2009 2:12:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I am a Unlisted Brand junkie! Since they are the ones who don't pay advertising, it got to be something when it shows up in MUA. Well, I was introduced to have baking soda (0.88 at Walmart) as a facial scrub, I did it once a week for about 3 weeks, it was fabulous the first two weeks, clear shinny face, I was very happy. However, the 3rd week, I don't know if it's solely related to the baking soda, the night I was done with the scrub, I got a very dry itchy arm, then my jawline and my arms were filled with itchy rashes. I rushed to the derm next day, and he said i got the contactitis(sp?). And then I searched online about contactitis, and the web says it might due to contact with chemical that's very basic/acidic, sometimes it won't take one day to happen, sometimes it takes few days to actually accumulate on skin, and developed symptoms. Since baking soda is basic, so I began to suspect if it's the baking soda. Anyways, it took two months for the scaling and itch to be controlled. After that, I would think clearly before I tried something.

on 6/15/2009 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

My skin is dry and sensitive. AHAs, BHAs, and retinols are too strong for my skin.

I discovered that baking soda is a wonderful exfoliant. Once or twice a week, I mix baking soda into my lotion cleanser and gently massage it onto my skin in a circular motion, avoiding any red or irritated spots.

After rinsing, my skin feels clean and smooth and ready to absorb my serum and cream.

Popular Other Products