October 22, 2014 | 1138 users online

Other - Baking Soda

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2009 9:17:00 PM More reviews by celesteakabeaddict

I have used baking soda as an exfoliator (excellent), as a tooth paste (just add a little salt and voila), and as a shampoo. It really cleaned my scalp well and my hair was squeaky clean, but my hair became dry and as unmanageable as straight thin hair can be. I won't use it as a shampoo anymore, but for everything else - yes! Also works great as a bathroom cleanser, dish scrub, laundry whitener, and I am sure there are lots of other uses that I haven't thought or heard of... yet. ~Ώτ

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2009 8:55:00 PM More reviews by alicatgirl93

Ok... I have oily skin with not too many pimples due to my doctor's prescriptive facial wash and gels. I just need a gentle everyday cleaner without BP or SA to use in the morning and remove my makeup at night.
I am really impressed. I find it to be an extremely gentle facial wash that barely qualifies as a scrub. I have not experienced any of the irritation some of the previous reviewers have talked about, but my skin isn't exactly sensitive either. I pour a tiny bit (like a penny sized amount) onto my fingers and add a bit of water, mix it, and rub it on my face.
Also, this works wonders as a teeth whitener (just sprinkle a little bit on your toothbrush along with your toothpaste). After just one use, I could tell that my teeth felt and looked a lot cleaner. Baking soda even removes greasy residue from your hair as well. (Just rub a quarter sized amount into your hair along with your daily shampoo.)
Overall, I think this product is great and would completely recommend it. Hope this helps!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2009 1:57:00 AM More reviews by SonyaAdams

Works fantastic as a tooth whitener, dry shampoo, and great as an exfoliator, as well. I've also been told that you can mix just a little bit with a drop or two of water and use as a paste (much like aspirin, but without the salicylic acid) on individual blemishes to dry them out.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/13/2009 2:12:00 AM More reviews by whitebook

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am a Unlisted Brand junkie! Since they are the ones who don't pay advertising, it got to be something when it shows up in MUA. Well, I was introduced to have baking soda (0.88 at Walmart) as a facial scrub, I did it once a week for about 3 weeks, it was fabulous the first two weeks, clear shinny face, I was very happy. However, the 3rd week, I don't know if it's solely related to the baking soda, the night I was done with the scrub, I got a very dry itchy arm, then my jawline and my arms were filled with itchy rashes. I rushed to the derm next day, and he said i got the contactitis(sp?). And then I searched online about contactitis, and the web says it might due to contact with chemical that's very basic/acidic, sometimes it won't take one day to happen, sometimes it takes few days to actually accumulate on skin, and developed symptoms. Since baking soda is basic, so I began to suspect if it's the baking soda. Anyways, it took two months for the scaling and itch to be controlled. After that, I would think clearly before I tried something.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2009 12:28:00 PM More reviews by georgia21

My skin is dry and sensitive. AHAs, BHAs, and retinols are too strong for my skin.

I discovered that baking soda is a wonderful exfoliant. Once or twice a week, I mix baking soda into my lotion cleanser and gently massage it onto my skin in a circular motion, avoiding any red or irritated spots.

After rinsing, my skin feels clean and smooth and ready to absorb my serum and cream.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2009 7:21:00 PM More reviews by ChildOfTheMoon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This makes a very good exfoliating facial scrub for my combo skin. But not more than once a week. After using it 2 days in a row and noticed it was already a bit too much; the dry areas on my face felt itchy and irritated. But once a week, followed by a good moisturizer (aloe vera jelly w/ a mixture of oils in my case) does the trick. Other than that, I use plain table salt as a facial scrub daily.- so if you find baking soda too irritating, you might want to try salt instead.

I tried baking soda for washing hair- but sadly it made my naturally frizzy tassels even frizzier. 1 tsp citric acid mixed with favourite conditioner works better for me- and it's just as cheap.

But baking soda can be used for so many things: teeth whitening, cleaning & unclogging the tub, as a laundry detergent (espec. for white sheets) and obviously in cooking.
Here are 30 uses for baking soda if you need more inspiration:

Won't complain about the packaging because it's ridiculously easy to transfer the product to a jar or any other container. 4JULY,09 UPDATE: I discovered that this works wonders as a foot soak!
continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 5/27/2009 9:33:00 AM More reviews by LolaBrw

Baking soda... so very multipurposeful, cheap, and easy to find! I occasionally use BS for exfoliation on my back when bacne becomes an issue and it works wonderfully. Just make a paste with a little water or your favorite body wash and massage (as much as you can reach on your back, ha). It also helped control moisture on my back too during some extremely humid days and prevented some breakouts. I wouldn't however use this on my face, I tried that once and discovered my skin is too sensitive for BS, but for those with tougher skin might have better luck. What I've found the best use for BS for me is for whitening teeth! After brushing my teeth I put a little bit of BS on my toothbrush and light brush over the front of my teeth and I can almost instantly see the coffee-abuse tint fade with each use. Before long after daily use you just might be surprised and discover you have textbook white teeth! Give the Crest strips (which DO work too but are more $$ in comparison) a rest and just try it!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2009 11:16:00 AM More reviews by jetsetcritter

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is GREAT for deep cleansing your hair (hint: buy the plastic refillable bottle for the shower, so then you can fill it again with the cheaper stuff in the cardboard box). Mix a tablespoon or two (depending on the length of your hair) in with your shampoo and lather. Wash your hair as normal with this mixture and get squeaky clean hair. Do this a couple times a week to fight build up of hair product, crappy conditioners, etc. I haven't found a shampoo that can do better than baking soda for this, honestly! And it makes your hair shiny and soft, too.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2009 11:02:00 AM More reviews by ias23

this is an all around product.. you can use this on your face, body, hair, teeth, to neutralize odor and for baking purposes..
first of, i use this to neutralize odor on my fridge and room, it is really effective.. then when i read the reviews here i decided to try it on my face as my scrub along with my cetaphil once a week just to exfolate it, and the results are great, it really softens my face until the next day, and it doesnt cause me any irritations or breakouts since i have a sensitive and occassion breakouts on my skin.. i dont use this as my mask coz i have mint julep, and works great for me so no need for that purpose..
i use this as my body scrub along with olive oil or my body wash, and it gives me a glow and a soft skin after shower especially in winter to remove dry patches..
i havent use this on my hair and teeth yet coz i stil have products for those things, but im gonna try it though and i thnk it also give great results..
i also dont use this yet for baking, but yes that is the purpose of this..
overall, i dont have any regrets that i did tried it.. and i will keep using this.. for a super cheap, effective and long lasting product.. nothing can beat this..

rated 2 of 5 on 5/25/2009 3:17:00 AM More reviews by ellarae6

I'd buy this product again for COOKING with, which I think is the whole point of baking soda.
Some loser told me that if you get a really big zit all you need to do is mix a paste of baking soda and water and put it on the offending blemish overnight. I'm sure this works if one doesn't apply the paste 3 nights in a row like I did. This concoction burnt the skin on my face and left me with an open sore and a scar more embarassing than anything a pimple could produce on its own.
So if I ever buy baking soda again it'll be because I'm baking a cake